AM radio namedrops Giantbomb. Why?

Avatar image for pancakepatriarchate
PancakePatriarchate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all,I was surfing through AM radio during a long night-drive just now and as I was absentmindedly cycling through waves of static one station came in clear. All I heard was "Jeff Gerstmann of giantbomb.co-" before I errantly flipped to the next station. Trying to go back I couldn't seem to find what station it was, or at the very least I didn't stumble upon Jeff's voice or someone talking about him or this site.

Between the typical political talkshows, 'financial advice', and sports-talk, I can't imagine why an AM talkshow host would mention Jeff or this site except for maybe in the latter instance. Is Jeff doing hot takes for night time sports radio? Was it just an odd advertisement? I'm genuinely perplexed!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Somehow, the idea was proposed that Jeff could provide brief news blasts summarizing some kind of news item of the week related to gaming. These clips are used on a variety of radio stations that are in some way affiliated with or owned by CBS.

Avatar image for pancakepatriarchate
PancakePatriarchate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea those went out on the radio, though I guess that makes sense.

It was just for a split second, but I could've sworn it was not Jeff's voice doing a spot. But you've probably got the right idea.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's just happens when you visit THE WORLD OF VIDEOGAMES

*sony noise*

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah those short clips that Jeff does do go out on whatever channel it is that CBS owns, as well as some of their video content gets out, which you can see every so often when they tweet about the tv in the CBSi building with a collection of random CBS properties.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If I ran a news station, especially one that didn't specialize in video games, I'd try to get Jeff or some other video game journalist to do little segments or come in and talk whenever games came up in the media. Explain things, do guest articles about conventions, new games, opinion pieces on game-related stuff, because I come across huge errors when there isn't someone to fact-check.

I read two articles recently that I could tell weren't fact-checked. One claimed Pokémon Go was based on a franchise that was primarily a card game, and the other claimed Rooster Teeth created Homestuck and Rick & Morty. In the long run, it's not a huge deal, just a pet peeve of mine, but still.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've heard the giant bomb gaming minute on our local CBS Sports Radio affiliate before. Pretty crazy, man.