Amazon.com now posting metacritic scores on product pages

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfgame

Not sure if this entirely new, but I see that amazon appears to have added the average critic score and maybe more controversially the average user review scores right on the store pages for each game. The reason I am making a post on this is because we have seen what can happen when metacritic is misused. Now that user scores are being featured on one of the biggest web shops in existence this will undoubtedly create the desire for publishers to push more glowing reviews. Most people around here know enough to understand the difference between critic and user reviews, not to mention how poorly Metacritic user scores are in general, unless of course you actually think that the new call of duty game is deserving of roughly a 2/10, most objective individuals find very little value to the user scores, it is usually a way for gamers to rage over very minor details or engage in system wars on another consoles exclusive. I don't think is going to be a very valuable or reliable addition.

No Caption Provided

Edit: Steam also uses metacritic scores, but doesn't highlight the user average, I think that is an important distinction.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

April fools'?

EDIT: April fools'

EDIT2: NM, I guess they just don't show up if I'm logged in which is nice.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@wolfgame said:

most objective individuals find very little value to the user scores

*raises a suspicious eyebrow*

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame said:

I assume he specifically means Metacritic user reviews, notorious for review bombing and other garbage.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Phoenix654

Amazon.com, soon to be the rating-est place on the internet. I mean, they already have the star system for user reviews, now they're adding Metacritic scores. What's next, the Rotten Tomatoes "certified fresh" stamp for movies?

*sigh*

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@video_game_king said:

@wolfgame said:

I assume he specifically means Metacritic user reviews, notorious for review bombing and other garbage.

Yes, probably didn't explain it as well as I could have, but this is going to encourage that as a greater issue and publishers to inflate the user average, it will create even less consumer confidence in the already questionable validity to a score that anyone can post. It's important to recognize that we are not the majority of people. Some customers don't look any further than the games product page on amazon before making a purchase, I don't think they should be misled by the conflicting interests that manipulate the metacritic user review average. I would hate to see further credibility given to this aggregate score when it can only create less consumer confidence.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By veektarius

@wolfgame: Amazon user scores are only slightly more useful. I don't know why, but unlikely video games, book reviews seem heavily polluted by people who aren't critical enough. When I write a review, it's often one of the ten worst for a given piece.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame: Amazon user scores are only slightly more useful. I don't know why, but unlikely video games, book reviews seem heavily polluted by people who aren't critical enough. When I write a review, it's often one of the ten worst for a given piece.

And nearly every game has a ton of reviews complaining about Steam.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

@wolfgame:

You know, I was actually congratulatory of you for opting not to outright dismiss Metacritic user scores, instead going for something a bit more grounded and nuanced. And then that post happened.

And then it was deleted. It is no more.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame:

You know, I was actually congratulatory of you for opting not to outright dismiss Metacritic user scores, instead going for something a bit more grounded and nuanced. And then that post happened.

will delete and apologize, misunderstood your message. That is important point though, I have seen quality objective reviews from metacritic users, but they are often buried under a significant number of troll reviews and fanboyism.

I am sorry for jumping down your throat, my own post history from today has me a bit on edge with the way certain things have happened, I shouldn't take that out on you or anyone else on this board, I like to think I am better than that but certainly failed that "test" in my previous post. Hope there are no hard feelings.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

This is probably not a good thing.

I'm all for better informed consumers, I just don't know if metacritic helps with that at all.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

hmmmm did metacritic pay to be on amazon? that's prime real estate on a store front. Someone paid someone to be there, and also, I believe I never heard anyone talk about metacritic outside of enthusiast message boards. I'd imagine they would be friendly to mom bloggers, if those are still around.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another reason why games critic should take reviews seriously and not give games to people which do not even care about the genre or game at all.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vuud

Eh, no biggie. Steam has posted metacritic scores on store pages for a long time now. Most people will probably find it helpful. Amazon is probably the 2nd biggest digital game seller after Steam.

On the matter of metacritic itself, I don't find it or any video game reviews useful any more. It's far better to just look it up on youtube or GB quick looks to see actual gameplay for yourself.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@crithon said:

hmmmm did metacritic pay to be on amazon? that's prime real estate on a store front. Someone paid someone to be there...

Exactly what I instantly thought. This is a huge get for Metacritic.

And probably a huger bummer for devs who work under shitty publishers. One aggregate score helps no one.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

@joshwent said:

@crithon said:

hmmmm did metacritic pay to be on amazon? that's prime real estate on a store front. Someone paid someone to be there...

Exactly what I instantly thought. This is a huge get for Metacritic.

And probably a huger bummer for devs who work under shitty publishers. One aggregate score helps no one.

I know more people who reference IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes scoring in everyday conversations then Metacritic. It's just interesting because Amazon reviews.... are well... popular, a lot of people swear by them. Just a good way to at least gauge by an audience to know if a product is worth getting. It's just interesting because that Amazon review system been there for over 14 years, now adding this they might as well just cut that out for being excessive. Just seems like someone paid to get metacritic in that top spot.... hell, "Product Details" is two PGDN button presses then that metacritic score.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By EuanDewar

Not only are the metacritic scores not showing up on Amazon.co.uk they're not showing up when you go to Amazon.com in the UK.

Or maybe thats just me maybe I'm the only person in the world who isn't seeing it WOULDN'T BE THE FIRST TIME Y'KNOW

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Whatever man let the sheeple have their scores, real gamers just play.