#1 Posted by shinboy630 (1193 posts) -

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/amazoncom_to_begin_collecting.html

My fellow NJ residents, it is indeed a sad day. Starting in July of next year, Amazon is going to start charging the 7% state sales tax on purchases for people ordering things in the Garden State. On the upside, they plan on building a warehouse or two in the state, so some jobs will be created. I for one will be ordering as many thins as I can before this goes into effect. The Man ain't getting my hard earned money!

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

More like Fails Tax.

:sunglasses:

#3 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

As a Washington resident, welcome to my world.

#4 Posted by brownsfantb (401 posts) -

Well, technically everybody's supposed to pay sales tax on everything they buy on Amazon. You have to claim it on your taxes.

But who in their right mind would do that?

#5 Posted by mikey87144 (1806 posts) -

Yea the party is going to be over soon for all of us.

#6 Posted by Spoonman671 (4773 posts) -

Yeah, I saw this recently.  Sucks, but I'll deal with it, I guess.  At least I'll still get free shipping for most stuff.

#7 Posted by shinboy630 (1193 posts) -
@brownsfantb

Well, technically everybody's supposed to pay sales tax on everything they buy on Amazon. You have to claim it on your taxes.

Yeah I saw the article mention that and was like "Huh, oops."
#8 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Amazon has always collected Tax in NY, so yay! Glad NewEgg is still tax free in NYC. Gotta love fighting for that shit.

#9 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

@brownsfantb said:

i didn't know that.

well that sucks. i thought that connecticut had high taxes.

#10 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2405 posts) -

Good thing I just moved out of NJ three weeks ago! Mwahahahahaha

#11 Posted by UitDeToekomst (747 posts) -

unfortunate for me, but it happens. oh well. i'll still buy stuff through them. not a huge deal.

#12 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!......

eh it's not that bad, i won't mind paying a little extra, and hopefully the new warehouses will make delivery times shorter

#13 Edited by CRAzYKiLL3R93 (366 posts) -

California is going to start collecting this fall, the state legislature passed the law last year.

I'm fine with it though, I'm willing to pay higher sales taxes so they don't raise college tuition.

#14 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

More like Fails Tax.

:sunglasses:

Well played, good sir.

#15 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

When will Florida fall for the sales tax, knowing my state it will be soon.

#16 Posted by drac96 (674 posts) -

Well now I'm just upset to find out that not everyone has been paying sales tax. Stupid New York.

#17 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -

@Subject2Change said:

Amazon has always collected Tax in NY, so yay! Glad NewEgg is still tax free in NYC. Gotta love fighting for that shit.

Yup.

#18 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3086 posts) -

Glad I live in Oregon.

#19 Posted by Jazzycola (658 posts) -

@CRAzYKiLL3R93: Hate to break it to you but that will probably still happen. I suspect the sales tax won't be able to make up the 16 billion dollars they owe(even with Amazon included). The first thing that they'll lower is university funding which translates to increased tuition. Tuition at my Uni has increased around 800-1000 dollars each year since Texas found out it was broke a year and a half ago(our state legislatures only meet every 2 years). Luckily your state has the ability to go into debt. Texas's constitution requires a balanced budget thus meaning much steeper cuts since we don't have a state income tax.

#20 Posted by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

I can't imagine that no sales tax will continue for much longer. With Amazon taking more and more business from retail stores the state is going to want to get in on that money.

#21 Posted by crazyleaves (648 posts) -

...and?

#22 Posted by CRAzYKiLL3R93 (366 posts) -

@Jazzycola said:

@CRAzYKiLL3R93: Hate to break it to you but that will probably still happen. I suspect the sales tax won't be able to make up the 16 billion dollars they owe(even with Amazon included). The first thing that they'll lower is university funding which translates to increased tuition. Tuition at my Uni has increased around 800-1000 dollars each year since Texas found out it was broke a year and a half ago(our state legislatures only meet every 2 years). Luckily your state has the ability to go into debt. Texas's constitution requires a balanced budget thus meaning much steeper cuts since we don't have a state income tax.

Actually, California HAS a balanced budget amendment. It is pretty mind boggling.

And yeah I know Amazon won't cover it, I should have added that California is probably going to pass a proposition raising sales tax and income taxes on rich Californians.

#23 Posted by Jazzycola (658 posts) -

@CRAzYKiLL3R93:Wow I'm surprised on that.

#24 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Washington's had it ever since I started using Amazon. It's really not that big of a deal.

#25 Edited by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@CRAzYKiLL3R93 said:

California is going to start collecting this fall, the state legislature passed the law last year.

I'm fine with it though, I'm willing to pay higher sales taxes so they don't raise college tuition.

I'm gonna call Bullshit on this one.

How much do you want to bet that has an equal proportion to the income increases CA legislators gave themselves?

The CA university is at such a fucked up place right now, the State just flat out isn't helping. Cal States are raising tuition, cutting admissions, classes, and teachers as applications for enrollment increase. California could give a shit less what Jerry Brown wants to do to help.

#26 Edited by RUDEMIESTER (56 posts) -

Canada VS The U.S. Loser gets New Jersey.

#27 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@RUDEMIESTER said:

I'm rooting for the U.S.

#28 Posted by RUDEMIESTER (56 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@RUDEMIESTER said:

I'm rooting for the U.S.

Well i'm rooting for Canada.... for once.

#29 Posted by ThePickle (4169 posts) -

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

#30 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I live in Jersey, pretty pissed right now.

#31 Posted by shinboy630 (1193 posts) -

@RUDEMIESTER said:

You would think Canada would want NJ, at least then they would have a good hockey team. :P

#32 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1899 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

Glad I live in Oregon.

Yeah, but we have to make up for it with property taxes.

#33 Posted by RUDEMIESTER (56 posts) -
@shinboy630

@RUDEMIESTER said:

You would think Canada would want NJ, at least then they would have a good hockey team. :P

New Jersey is the sess pool of the Americas.
#34 Edited by CRAzYKiLL3R93 (366 posts) -

@Doctorchimp said:

@CRAzYKiLL3R93 said:

I'm gonna call Bullshit on this one.

How much do you want to bet that has an equal proportion to the income increases CA legislators gave themselves?

The CA university is at such a fucked up place right now, the State just flat out isn't helping. Cal States are raising tuition, cutting admissions, classes, and teachers as applications for enrollment increase. California could give a shit less what Jerry Brown wants to do to help.

The California state legislature doesn't control its own income, an independent commission does. The commission cut their pay by 5% this year

And Governor Brown's tax money this November is already earmarked in the language of the proposition for education spending. He knew it wouldn't pass otherwise

Anyway I'm going to a UC, where it is generally fine because they raised tuition to eyewatering levels. The didn't have to cut classes and admissions to the extent Cal State did.

#35 Edited by Karmum (11519 posts) -

This is fucking bullshit. This is Newegg all over again, which ISN'T a good thing. If you don't know what that means, people in NJ also get billed for both tax and shipping here, but there is also a warehouse up in Edison. Not like the warehouses matter to me, I use my brother's Amazon Prime account and get free shipping anyway. Great that it opens up some jobs though.

Still bullshit, but at least it's a year away. It's not incredibly surprising though, it's always sucked to live in New Jersey. Always.

#36 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

Having lived in Delaware for almost all of my life, the idea of paying sales tax is still weird to me.

#37 Edited by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

Those crying bullshit make me fucking laugh. You have to pay sales tax on things that you buy? Oh no thats terrible. Maybe if you had been made to pay sales tax it would have made you go to a brick and mortar store to support your local economy and those jobs everyone is so keen on theses days. Now you just have empty building husks with "For Lease" on them. Way to go, Internet.

#38 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

Ha 7%, in the UK sales tax (VAT) is 20%

#39 Posted by CRAzYKiLL3R93 (366 posts) -

@Niall_Sg1 said:

Ha 7%, in the UK sales tax (VAT) is 20%

When I moved to America I was shocked by the low tax rates.

But at least in the UK people actually get something for their money, like health care and benefits.