• 58 results
#1 Edited by Seppli (9766 posts) -

Now that's a Coke!

I just stumbled over the fact, that Americans don't drink real 'sugar sweetend' coke since the '80s. I googled 'High Fructose Corn Syrup', because I wanted to know why you guys use it for everything and everybody else uses sugar mostly and this is what came out on top.

Aren't you fed up by this? Sugar is so much better tasting than the HFCS. Mexico drinks the 'real' coke now. What a shame! I just got to drink an original 6.5oz glassbottled 'real' coke myself as I afforded to treat myself to some luxury relaxation spa session recently. Sooo fucking good!

Something just seems wrong about this!
#2 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -

That's a pretty weird picture. Isn't coke meant to be a lot darker? Or am I missing something here.

#3 Posted by regularassmilk (1369 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" That's a pretty weird picture. Isn't coke meant to be a lot darker? Or am I missing something here. "
Just quiet down and eat your erotic fish cake.
#4 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Yeah sugar tastes a lot better, some sodas have pure can sugar, like Jones.
#5 Posted by artofwar420 (6228 posts) -
@eroticfishcake: The background is white.

And yes, I usually seek sugar cane sweetened Coke, some stores have it, it's like a side-mission.
#6 Edited by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -
@regularassmilk said:

" @eroticfishcake said:

" That's a pretty weird picture. Isn't coke meant to be a lot darker? Or am I missing something here. "
Just quiet down and eat your erotic fish cake. "
FINE!

I'll just wash it down with a bottle of erotic fake coke then won't I?!

On topic, how long has this little scandal been going on for?

@artofwar420: I was thinking of that but the Coke we get is really black no matter how white the surroundings are. And how strong the light is does'nt make any difference.
#7 Posted by AjayRaz (12391 posts) -

that looks soo good @_@ 
i don't think i've tried "real" coke before, sadly. 

#8 Posted by AURON570 (1666 posts) -

I also don't understand the american demand for unsweetened iced tea.

#9 Posted by regularassmilk (1369 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
" @regularassmilk said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
FINE!  I'll just wash it down with a bottle of erotic fake coke then won't I?!  On topic, how long has this little scandal been going on for? "
Notta clue, because I was preoccupied enjoying my erotic fish cakes.
#10 Edited by Seppli (9766 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:

" @regularassmilk said:

" @eroticfishcake said:

FINE!  I'll just wash it down with a bottle of erotic fake coke then won't I?!  On topic, how long has this little scandal been going on for? "
Since they (ADM) invented High Fructose Corn Syrup in the late '70s/early '80s.  Have been replacing sugar in all kinds of convenient foods since then. You guys are the only ones using it to that extent. Wierd, since everybody seems to prefer sugar over it. Somehow the customer doesn't seem to be the king anymore in America. At least concerning those living in blissful ignorance, drinking 'fake' coke. ;P

ADM must have a powerful lobby in Washington, when it managed to deprive Americans of their sugar. This should be a bigger issue for you guys. It would be for me, if I was having to deal with it. I love me my sugar!
#11 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

I can't really tell the difference between sugar and fructose syrup.  Anyways, nobody likes Coke.  Mountain Dew is where it's at.

#12 Posted by joey (961 posts) -

There's some stores nearby me that import Mexican Coke.
It's way better.

#13 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -
@Seppli: Considering the fact that I don't live in the U.S. I shouldn't need to worry about my sugar levels but then again, we seem to import coke from six other European countries. I can't remember what they tasted like but I don't remember them being  strikingly different.
#14 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@joey said:
" There's some stores nearby me that import Mexican Coke. It's way better. "
All the gas stations around my area have them. They make me happy. 
#15 Posted by chstupid (806 posts) -

I like the high frucrose corn syrup kind better
#16 Edited by PufferFiz (1369 posts) -

It is a sad truth that the government makes sugar cost more to please the corn industry. I too enjoy mexican coke, I try and find some myself. It is shame, since I would gladly pay a few cents extra to get real sugar.

I big gripe for me is the labeling of products with HFCS as natural, that is lie since hfcs has to be manufactured.

#17 Edited by Hamst3r (4343 posts) -

I always go for sodas that have sugar cane instead of corn syrup.

I get em here:

http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/browse.cfm?link=24 

Try:

Americana Root Beer
Bundaberg Ginger Beer
Manhattan Special Orange Soda
Jamaica's Finest Ginger Beer
Imported Coca-Cola
Dublin Dr.Pepper

Crazy good.
#18 Posted by MrGetBonus (781 posts) -

Not really a fan of soda. More a water and juice person but now I'm interested in this "real" coke you speak of.

#19 Posted by Seppli (9766 posts) -
@TheGremp said:
" I can't really tell the difference between sugar and fructose syrup.  Anyways, nobody likes Coke.  Mountain Dew is where it's at. "
A while ago I bought me a can of Mountain Dew : Code Red at a beer/soda/energy drink import-shop. It was all cherry-like, but it definitly tasted a little like Kellogg's Pops too. Not that it's a bad thing, but I'm definitly not used to HFCS as a sweetener in my soda. Felt wierd and mildly alienated  me.

HFCS sweetend drinks taste a little like Kellogs Pops...
#20 Posted by AxeMeTender (16 posts) -

I live just in Canada, just over the border, and we used to make grocery runs before the prices achieved parity or worse.
I stopped buying Coke after our first trip because it tasted wrong.    I noticed the corn syrup thing, too and figured that's what it was. 
However!  Vanilla Coke isn't available anywhere near me and I love that stuff - tastes artificial as hell but it's good(!) so I still buy that when opportunity arises.   It blew me away that 7-11 had  a dispenser with Cherry, Vanilla, etc options for Coke.

Anyway, I had some vendors visiting and introduced them to "real"  Canadian style Coke and they were kinda shocked.  One of them took a case or two home for the office :)

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (34645 posts) -

I think it was due to a sugar health scare years ago, or something. And now, the same thing's happening with corn syrup. What's left? My bet's on coconut oil concentrate :P.

#22 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

i never thought about real coke. pretty crazy things about what US and other countries do. One time i took a trip to italy and when u asked for a coke they looked at me funny but when u say coca-cola their like k. in america u say coke they get it for u.

#23 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I was trying some real sugar sodas around the time the GB staff was talking about it on the bombcast.  I can't tell the difference.  Just HFCS is probably killing me, but I can't tell.

#24 Posted by Hailinel (22739 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" I was trying some real sugar sodas around the time the GB staff was talking about it on the bombcast.  I can't tell the difference.  Just HFCS is probably killing me, but I can't tell. "
I find the idea of HFCS killing people rather amusing given that Coke with sugar isn't exactly a health food, either.
#25 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

When I was in the states I didn't notice any difference in Coke taste.

#26 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
I find the idea of HFCS killing people rather amusing given that Coke with sugar isn't exactly a health food, either.
Well I hear it's significantly worse and the science holds up.  It's definitely worse than real sugar.
#27 Posted by Hailinel (22739 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" @Hailinel said:
Well I hear it's significantly worse and the science holds up.  It's definitely worse than real sugar. "
Tell that to a diabetic.
#28 Posted by Disengage (429 posts) -

#29 Posted by clapperdude (192 posts) -

Cane sugar sodas like jones taste good -- but I personally cant drink much of it at a time w/o getting sick feeling. Prefer mass quantities of Mt Dew myself.

#30 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1576 posts) -

I think it's because HFCS is much cheaper.  We grow more corn than you could imagine here.
#31 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
Tell that to a diabetic.
Wait what?  HFCS has been linked to causing diabetes, not sure how well researched that is.
#32 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -

Yeah, corn syrup sodas just don't taste the same to me. They feel too thick.

#33 Edited by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

Americans have been denied "real" Coca-Cola since 1929 when the bottling company removed the last bits of cocaine from the formula.  By comparison, who cares about which ingredient is sweeter?.... Damn it, I want to be able to free base my carbonated beverages again!

#34 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

You can still home brew real Coca Cola, you just need to know a guy....
#35 Posted by Mercator (365 posts) -
@TheGremp said:
" I can't really tell the difference between sugar and fructose syrup.  Anyways, nobody likes Coke.  Mountain Dew is where it's at. "
Coke is easily the most profitable soda in the world. That being said Mountain Dew is no doubt what made Pepsi as big as it is. Now that they owe Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and KFC I imagine its not the only thing keeping them afloat but Mountain Dew is a big part of whats keeping them in buisiness. 

I agree pure cane soda is better and as many have mention Jones has a great one you can get most places. That being said I did not like the Mountain Dew Throwback as much as the normal HFCS Mountain Dew, but Cola...real sugar is much better.
#36 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -
@Mercator:
I don't know why people favor Mountain Dew so much, I always enjoyed Pepsi a lot more. I enjoy Jolt Cola above all, but thats neither here or there.
#37 Posted by dbz1995 (4786 posts) -
@HypoXenophobia said:
" You can still home brew real Coca Cola, you just need to know a guy.... "
Or a guy who knows a guy.
#38 Posted by Jotun (596 posts) -

They sell bottles of "real" Coke in the ethnic isle at my local grocery store. I've tried it but I really don't taste much of a difference between it and U.S. Coke.

#39 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

I drink Diet everything, so I'm OK with this.

#40 Edited by mordukai (7093 posts) -

mmmmmm coke...I remember those days.  

Now that's a coke...pile!
#41 Edited by Novyx (479 posts) -

For any who are still wondering, the reason that the US market uses so much corn syrup is because corn is one of the major subsidized crops here. It costs more to grow than it actually sells for, but the government pays the difference, making products using any of those crops cheaper to produce. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm_subsidy#United_States

Note: I'm using Opera, and have finally figured out why I can't add real links in here. I apparently have to use firefox for the button to work. Is there an alternate method I don't know of? I rarely post links, so I've only worked on this incrementally.
EDIT: link edited in with FF. Still, kinda annoying.

#42 Posted by cspiffo (860 posts) -
@Seppli said:
"@eroticfishcake said:

" @regularassmilk said:

" @eroticfishcake said:

Since they (ADM) invented High Fructose Corn Syrup in the late '70s/early '80s.  Have been replacing sugar in all kinds of convenient foods since then. You guys are the only ones using it to that extent. Wierd, since everybody seems to prefer sugar over it. Somehow the customer doesn't seem to be the king anymore in America. At least concerning those living in blissful ignorance, drinking 'fake' coke. ;P  ADM must have a powerful lobby in Washington, when it managed to deprive Americans of their sugar. This should be a bigger issue for you guys. It would be for me, if I was having to deal with it. I love me my sugar! "

It actually makes sense if you think about it.  Surgar Cane in is imported.  America's largest cash crop is corn.  Corn syrup comes from Corn.  HFCS helped us escape the opressive recessions of the '70's and '80's due to its boost to our National economy.  jk :^P...or not :^|
#43 Posted by crusader8463 (14326 posts) -

Ya when i was a kid and we went down to the states to have thanksgiving 2 with our relatives i always wondered why their pop tasted like shit. Never knew about this until awhile ago as well, i guess that must be why it tastes so bad down there. Also idk how people can drink mountain dew, it just tastes like flat week old pop mixed with kool-aid.

#44 Posted by Eric_Buck (1291 posts) -

Most coke in different countries is a bit different. My favorite is McDonalds coke (yes. It's different!!!) or South African...

#45 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

Somebodies gotta drink that shit.  We're paying millions to subsidize corn production and we keep corn prices artificially high so we gotta do something with it.  I mean, ethanol is a bust.

#46 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4499 posts) -

Yeah, 'real' Coca-Cola had cocaine. Any changes since then are kinda arbitrary, although I've heard  the 'kosher' version is where it's at, tastewise. 

#47 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

I've always wondered WHAT THE HELL high fructose corn syrup was...

#48 Posted by Pie (6937 posts) -
@MarkWahlberg said:
" Yeah, 'real' Coca-Cola had cocaine. Any changes since then are kinda arbitrary, although I've heard  the 'kosher' version is where it's at, tastewise.  "
Less than the traciest amount of cocaine
#49 Posted by Pie (6937 posts) -

Do places that pump coke (pubs, restaurant, etc) have a big vat of coke syrup then as they pump it water is added to it?

#50 Posted by JackiJinx (3083 posts) -
@eroticfishcake said:
When creating advertisements, it's allowed to only use a small percentage of the advertised product in the actual display. For example, since ice cream usually looks rather discolored and several other things on camera, there's a good chunk of the actual product replaced so that it will look more like the actual thing. Of course, most companies go beyond the making it look accurate to just plain making it look better, such as in the picture in question.  

So yeah, you were missing something here.