Android Lollipop 5.0 + Nexus 5 = :'( ?

EmperorMeow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Anyone else experiencing issues with the new Android 5.0 update?

Battery life on my Nexus 5 has been horrendous (i.e. less than 5h with normal use, WiFi disabled) since I've updated yesterday morning!

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By soulcake

@starb123: dont have any battery problem on my updated

Nexus 5

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

That is strange since they said it would improve the battery. I have a nexus 4 and a nexus 5 and just the 4 have gotten the update yet so I cannot say how it affects nexus 5 yet. My fiance who is using the Nexus 4 now have not said anything about less battery at least.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Haven't noticed anything, other than the changes being annoying.

EmperorMeow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EmperorMeow

It seems like, even though I've turned off WiFi in settings, it's still active

No Caption Provided

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#6  Edited By alistercat

@starb123: My Wifi appears to have some power usage too even though it is always off. Strange.

Check in advanced wifi that scanning always available is off.

tommytoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read something about an service/app called "Google Fit" is doing this, someone recommended you to uninstall that and the battery will improve.

@starb123 said:

It seems like, even though I've turned off WiFi in settings, it's still active

No Caption Provided

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@soulcake: Lollipop is supposed to increase battery life by a fair margin, have you seen any noticeable improvement?

I plan on receiving my Nexus 5 next week, here's hoping you duders uncover solutions to any problems :(

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By KirkyX

I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I only got the update yesterday, so I haven't really had the chance to do any thorough testing. I do like all the new stuff, though. The lockscreen's so much better!

Does anyone have a Nexus 7 2013 running Lollipop, by the way? I'm in the market for a new tablet, and I'm wondering how it holds up, a year and a half on.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kirkyx said:

Does anyone have a Nexus 7 2013 running Lollipop, by the way? I'm in the market for a new tablet, and I'm wondering how it holds up, a year and a half on.

I have one. It holds up fine for me, but I mostly use it for web browsing and watching videos and stuff. I don't know how it holds up for new 3d games or anything. I haven't noticed any significant change in battery life after updating to Lollipop, though. I like a lot of what Lollipop does, but it still seems a little rough around the edges.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's pretty much all I use my tablet for as is. Can you, say, switch from a YouTube video to the browser, and then back again, without it having to reload either app? My old iPad does that a lot, and it really bugs me--you can't, say, start writing a comment on a website, go look for a video to accompany it, and then go back to the comment without it having been wiped out by a refresh.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm pretty sure my battery life has increased with the update, are you sure you don't have an app running when you don't realise. I've had certain apps do that before, manually terminating the process solved it.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far my battery has held up for a couple of days, though I disabled google fit and don't run tons of widgets or whatever else people with smart phones are into these days. I also haven't been using it like I normally would since I updated so I can't say that it's been a net positive or negative, just that I haven't seen a massive dip.

If things go down hill I'll report back.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@teaoverlord said:

@kirkyx said:

I have one. It holds up fine for me, but I mostly use it for web browsing and watching videos and stuff. I don't know how it holds up for new 3d games or anything. I haven't noticed any significant change in battery life after updating to Lollipop, though. I like a lot of what Lollipop does, but it still seems a little rough around the edges.

I'm only getting graphical glitches on my unlock screen at the bottom of my first gen N7, other than that it's all good.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan: not to worry the nexus 5 is the best phone you can get for that price, i don't see any real improvements in battery life, although there's a save battery mode now.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I upgraded yesterday and have no experienced any issues. The animations take some getting used to though.

EmperorMeow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: It might have been the Google Fit app (I checked that one out yesterday morning and left it running in the background). A restart fixed the drain for me yesterday (the good old "turning it off and on again" trick), I've disabled Google Fit hoping the issue won't return.

Just to clarify: I have my Nexus 5 for over a year now, hands down the best phone I've had!

Phili151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't noticed any battery life problems, but they got rid of the silent mode. And to me, that is unforgivable. Unforgivable I say!

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like others have said, haven't noticed anything weird. Some of the changes take some getting used to, the only feature I have noticed that is an improvement and not just a graphical change is the time to fully charged thing when you are charging the phone.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phili151: It is essentially replaced with priority mode. Lets you pick and choose what you allow to alert the phone.

reverendk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few days later and it seems like my battery life is somewhere between better and the same as using 4.4.4.

Things I don't like: (These are all minor)

Putting airplane mode in the drop down settings and not as part of the long press popup for the power button. It's just added inputs for something I do pretty frequently.

The "gallery" app/whatever isn't there anymore, just the "photos" one. I liked the old system of organization of camera shots/ downloads/ etc. but I think I can sort that.

Moving the "push all notifications off screen" button on the notification bar under notifications. I think it moved all of 4mm.

THINGS I FUCKING HATE: THEY MADE THE GOOGLE SEARCH BAR WHITE INSTEAD OF MOSTLY TRANSPARENT JEEZUS CHRIST BURN IT ALL DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I'm pretty sure launchers or custom roms or even simpler solutions exist to change that, I haven't investigated too deeply yet.

Also the lock screen is now really particular about swiping up to unlock and any other direction by like 2 degrees to open the camera or dialer (and the dialer isn't better IMO). I'm used to swiping at kind of an angle just based on the size of my thumb so I open those other things accidentally a lot.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I've seen slightly better battery life out of the update on my Nexus 5. I haven't updated my Nexus 7 yet, but I figure everything will probably still work fine. I absolutely fucking love my 5, though--the update looks nice and I actually quite like the new look of the cards when you're switching apps. I'm a little miffed about breaking out Chrome tabs into their own cards, though--I tend to have a lot of tabs open and having to scroll through them all just to switch apps took some getting used to (although in fairness it's pretty good about putting recent apps closer to the front of the stack).