#1 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Anyone here from Scotland? If you do, are you gonna drink tonight? What kind of Scottish beer is the best one BTW...

#2 Posted by Crono11 (1651 posts) -

My last name is MacKenzie does that make me Scottish enough to get in on this drinking?

Oh and good for him.

#3 Edited by forkboy (1174 posts) -

I'm from Scotland. But really all I'm doing is fuming inside that nobody on the parts of the internet I inhabit are interested in talking about owt else but this tennis nonsense.

I mean it's nice for him & all but I'd really rather he keep up the long established Scots tradition of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, it's a national pass-time after all.

As for beers, well if you feel scummy there's Tennents. Or even worse, Tennent's Super, for the proper jakey homelesss guy experience. Or if you're slightly higher class then there's Belhaven, either Best or 80/-. An Austrian emperor once apparently described the 80 shilling as "the burgundy of Scotland". And if you're a bit of a hipster there's always Brewdog, with drinks like Tactical Nuclear Penguin, a 32%ABV beer.

Personally I'd just say break out a wee dram of whisky if you want to do a Scottish celebration.

#4 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

You've got to be Djoking....

#5 Posted by EVO (3930 posts) -

Andy "hissy fit" Murray can eat a dick.

#6 Posted by Nightriff (5240 posts) -

Stopped watching Tennis when Agassi retired, you know, when they had personalities

#7 Posted by ThatFrood (3376 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

Stopped watching Tennis when Agassi retired, you know, when they had personalities

...really?

#8 Posted by Nightriff (5240 posts) -

@ThatFrood said:

@Nightriff said:

...really?

Really at the Agassi part or at the no personality part?

#9 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

man i came into this thread expecting a story of andy murray playing baseball and being awesome at it. now im kinda dissapointed :/

#10 Edited by ThatFrood (3376 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@ThatFrood said:

@Nightriff said:

...really?

Really at the Agassi part or at the no personality part?

Agassi was a great player and fun to watch, so no, I'm not knocking Agassi. I'm just a bit taken aback by someone complaining about how "back in the good ol' days, the players had backbone!". Djokovic, Nadal and Federer are some of the best tennis players ever for the sport. To think that the three greatest tennis players of all time, playing against each other in their prime, lacks "personality" just seems curmudgeonly. Are you watching tennis for the athleticism and sport, or for something else?

#11 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

That's a shame because there have been some incredible rivalries and matches since both Agassi and Sampras retired. The 2008 Wimbledon final between Federer and Nadal was one hell of a final match. The skill should really matter more, otherwise everybody would've loved Roddick and his hissy fits.

#12 Posted by Nightriff (5240 posts) -

@ThatFrood: Early to call Djokovic greatest but mainly for sports like Tennis I usually find a player and follow them and only care about how they do, that was Agassi. Since he retired I just never found another player like that. Federer is great to watch but only really watched him with my dad when it was on national tv. Never have liked Nadal but I respect the hell out of his skills. Personality was used in more of a joking way but I mean really I just don't like anyone in the sport today and so it just is kinda irrelevant. Tiger and Golf is the same way.

#13 Posted by Nightriff (5240 posts) -

@AiurFlux: I've still watched tennis, just haven't been that into it. And that was a great final but the one a few years ago with Roddick and Federer (2010?) was a lot of fun and probably my favorite in recent memory

#14 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@clumsyninja1 said:

Anyone here from Scotland? If you do, are you gonna drink tonight? What kind of Scottish beer is the best one BTW...

If you do what?

#15 Posted by ThatFrood (3376 posts) -

@Nightriff: That's fair and I can understand that. The original statement just came across as a blanket statement that Tennis isn't good anymore, which I couldn't disagree with more.

And yeah I agree, verdict's still out on Djokovic. Especially considering he just lost to Andy Murray!

#16 Posted by Nightriff (5240 posts) -

@ThatFrood: Murray has been on a role lately, maybe he is FINALLY living up to his hype back when he first started. Reverse Roddick if you think about it.

#17 Posted by TheHT (11670 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

@clumsyninja1 said:

If you do what?

If you do from Scotland. Duh.

#18 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@TheHT said:

@BraveToaster said:

@clumsyninja1 said:

If you do what?

If you do from Scotland. Duh.

Ohhh! :D

#19 Posted by Cameron (605 posts) -

It's good to see him win one, but I still don't really like him. Maybe it's just a holdover from when he was a giant baby, but he just seems too emotional on court. One of the things I've always liked about Federer is how composed he is on court. It's pretty rare to see him angry. Maybe Murray will get there with age, but until he does I'll likely continue cheering for his opponents.

#20 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3082 posts) -

I don't know what you're talking about but I love Denny's so good for him.

#21 Posted by L44 (571 posts) -

Bummer, I liked seeing the British press hype him up before each one, then go suddenly dark on him after he didn't win it again.

#22 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1500 posts) -

Don't really like tennis, but always good to see a Scottish champion.

#23 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@AiurFlux: I've still watched tennis, just haven't been that into it. And that was a great final but the one a few years ago with Roddick and Federer (2010?) was a lot of fun and probably my favorite in recent memory

I haven't been as into it since Sampras retired either, but there are still incredible players. Actually right now I think the skill gap is the tightest and one of the highest it's ever been. You have Federer, Nadal, Murray, and Djokovic just off of the top of my head. It does make for some exciting tournaments.

I do still miss Agassi and his little walk though. And I miss Sampras and that absolutely fucking BRUTAL second serve he had. Dude hit it as hard as his first serve while most other guys lose 30 mph just to have the accuracy.

#24 Posted by Nightriff (5240 posts) -

@AiurFlux: Can't beat Agassi's return on serve, best there ever has or ever will be

#25 Posted by ajamafalous (12124 posts) -
@ShadowConqueror said:
I don't know what you're talking about but I love Denny's so good for him.
God I lol'd 

Anyway,  

@Cameron said:

I still don't really like him. Maybe it's just a holdover from when he was a giant baby, but he just seems too emotional on court. Maybe Murray will get there with age, but until he does I'll likely continue cheering for his opponents.

This is how I feel. I've never liked Murray's attitude so I was actually kinda disappointed when I saw that he beat Djokovic. Wasn't nearly as crushing for me as seeing Andy Roddick retire, though.
#26 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

Finally. The boy had this one coming for the last 3/4 years. Great to see him winning one Grand Slam. Also great to see 82-year old Sean Connery on the stadium. Dude is still classy as shit.

#27 Posted by stalefishies (343 posts) -
#28 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

Wow, way to have a misleading thread title, OP.

#29 Posted by CookieMonster (2442 posts) -

@forkboy: Tennents is hilariously bad. It tastes like thick, foamy water and immediately makes me feel ill after half a pint. Bargain at a pound though.

#30 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

@stalefishies said:

I'm just glad to see Murray reach an all-time high of 99.4% British.

http://andymurrayometer.com/

This is the funniest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

#31 Edited by Akyho (1692 posts) -

What are you talking about? Andy Murrays not Scottish, He won! He is British when he wins, Scottish when he loses.

It is the same all the time, Olympics goes "And the Scottish Athlete lost this time, maybe next time." and when they win "And the British athlete won Britain another Gold medal, coming from Glasgow this is a great spectacle."

Edit: @stalefishies said:

I'm just glad to see Murray reach an all-time high of 99.4% British.

http://andymurrayometer.com/

Exactly....Exactly what I was saying.

#32 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

the awesome thing all majors were won by the big four: Nole, Rafa, Roger and Andy...

#33 Posted by YummyTreeSap (353 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@Cameron said:

I still don't really like him. Maybe it's just a holdover from when he was a giant baby, but he just seems too emotional on court. Maybe Murray will get there with age, but until he does I'll likely continue cheering for his opponents.

This is how I feel. I've never liked Murray's attitude so I was actually kinda disappointed when I saw that he beat Djokovic. Wasn't nearly as crushing for me as seeing Andy Roddick retire, though.

Buh? Roddick was just as bad, if not worse.