Anime discussion thread.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

So this looks pretty fucking cool. I know it might not be what this thread was created for, but as a fan of Monty Oum's talent for choreography and his insane work ethic, I just wanted to share it. That "Red" trailer is especially cool.

For anyone who has no idea who he is. He's an animator that is known for his insane battle choreography, known for cool little videos like Haloid or Dead Fantasy, (viewer beware, these are old and made with ripped character models, also may contain pathetic attempts at story at some point). Just look at the battle animation please. XD

He now animate Red vs Blue and probably other stuff for Rooster Teeth.

Speaking of, I'm not sure exactly how much power or influence they are going to have over this little project, but I'm, optimistically hopeful that they won't let Monty anywhere near the script outside combat.

Oh well, here are the trailers for anyone who hates Crunchy or clicking links:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tobbrobb:The RWBY stuff looks interesting but I'm wondering what the story is going to be about. Are these four girls based off fairy tale characters? Also gun scythe is weirdest weapon I've seen so far and that rapier that switches between different elemental attacks is neat

Rehtayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4953  Edited By Rehtayne

@tobbrobb: Those were pretty cool! I'm also curious about what kind of story will tie it all together though. Not that I have a problem with just watching it for the action sequences.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wraith1: Gunscythe is fucking great! I love how she uses the recoil to get more punch out of the cuts. I know next to nothing about the story, but honestly that is secondary to me. XD

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got to episode 8 of Nisemonogatari....

Why? What is my life?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azurath: Your life is fantastic! :D

Will it help you cope if you try and recreate the scene? Hit me up, bring your own toothbrush.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@wraith1 said:

@tobbrobb:The RWBY stuff looks interesting but I'm wondering what the story is going to be about. Are these four girls based off fairy tale characters? Also gun scythe is weirdest weapon I've seen so far and that rapier that switches between different elemental attacks is neat

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I've seen the gun scythe combo twice before I saw the original Red video. Margaret from No More Heroes 2 uses dual scythes and they change into a sniper rifle. Yeager from Tales of Vesperia also has a rifle that turns into a scythe.

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: Toothbrush is at the ready, I hope you have a spare skirt laying around.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azurath: I have a little sister to borrow skirts from. Bonus points for authenticity.

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: Remember, the safety word is Jugenmujugenmugokonosurikekaij­arisugesugematsufunfaimatsufur­aimatsukurunetokoronisumiyappa­rikojiyapparikojibaibobaibobai­boshuringashuringanugurindaigu­rindainobomboribombonanojoukyu­umechousuke.

Got it?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@azurath: That episode is the closest anime has ever gotten to being art.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb said:

@azurath: I have a little sister to borrow skirts from. Bonus points for authenticity.

No Caption Provided

I don't really know what to say.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: This thing took a dark turn and I like it.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4965  Edited By Icemo

I guess I'll check what's going on with anime discussion thread...

... I gotta go. Carry on with your dental care.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icemo: Noooo staaaay! We have Gunscythes and shit. It's cool!

Loading Video...

I guess I could talk some actual anime... I watched the first two episodes of Black Rock Shooter on request, and that show is fucking terrible! Looks cool sometimes though. I hear the OVA is just the same story but shorter, would I miss out on just watching that instead? Also is that more action packed?

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: I have only read the manga and didn't like it since it was boring. According to a review of that OVA it seems that it goes through scenes without explaining anything about what's going on since a lot of content is cramped on a 50 min episode. Quote: "What we've got here is a slice of life school drama masquerading as a trippy fantasy action movie. It doesn't help that the trailer is composed almost entirely of fight scenes or that there is pretty much no fan or official art depicting anything other than the characters' alternate reality personas." So I guess less action and more friendship between two schoolgirls?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Old episodes of Gintama are pretty fucking great while on Vicodin.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4970  Edited By Cloudenvy

@icemo: Even if I'm not a huge fan of the OVA, it manages to do the whole friendship between schoolgirls thing way better than the TV show could ever dream to do. If I had to say it simply, I'd say that the TV series suffers from terribly done melodrama and the OVA suffers from a lack of explanations. I find the OVA far superior to the TV show myself.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I pop in here every now and then just to see what's up, and here is discussion of toothbrushes, skirts, and this:

@tobbrobb said:

No Caption Provided

I don't really know what to say.

And I'm not sure if I want to sate my curiosity or not...

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: The show is Danshi Koukousei no nichijou and you should sate your curiosity, cuz it is really freaking good. That is one off joke, but most of them are relatable and clever.

Also I'm starting to think that not clarifying the toothbrush/skirt conversation might put me in a bad light. XD

Oh well, shit happens.

Azurath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4973  Edited By Azurath

@tobbrobb: We can share the bad light, together.

Forever.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4974  Edited By artelinarose

I've been watching Psycho-pass and it is soooooper good. And that's about all I've got to say about that.

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't expecting to see a toothbrush/skirt discussion here today...

Anyways I've only seen the Black Rock Shooter tv series and it was awful, never seen the ova

so yeah anime...

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Kinda get a Nier vibe from RWBY.

Rehtayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well then. I guess Little Busters decided it was time to stop being subtle about resets.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Just caught Soul Eater on Toonami. DAT MOON

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4979  Edited By Bocam

I think it says something about Arise when even the CEO of Production IG says Makoto's new design sucks.

When I first saw Kise’s new Motoko I thought it was really dicey as well. I knew he was serious. Kise’s characters come out in production, so I felt they had their work cut out there.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What shows are you guys all watching this season? I'm having a difficult time deciding what looks awful and what I should pick up. Any recommendations?

So far it's just Kotoura-san and AKB0048 from this season, and Shinsekai Yori from the last. Saw the first episode of Love Live and will probably start watching that too.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4981  Edited By TobbRobb

@petiew: I think Psycho Pass is the biggest one you are missing. I'd also throwin Sasami-San@Ganbaranai. Just because I think its preeetty cool.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@tobbrobb said:

So this looks pretty fucking cool. I know it might not be what this thread was created for, but as a fan of Monty Oum's talent for choreography and his insane work ethic, I just wanted to share it. That "Red" trailer is especially cool.

For anyone who has no idea who he is. He's an animator that is known for his insane battle choreography, known for cool little videos like Haloid or Dead Fantasy, (viewer beware, these are old and made with ripped character models, also may contain pathetic attempts at story at some point). Just look at the battle animation please. XD

He now animate Red vs Blue and probably other stuff for Rooster Teeth.

Speaking of, I'm not sure exactly how much power or influence they are going to have over this little project, but I'm, optimistically hopeful that they won't let Monty anywhere near the script outside combat.

Oh well, here are the trailers for anyone who hates Crunchy or clicking links:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I only just now watched both of these and thanks for posting them. They're both pretty awesome. I hope that whoever writes the story for these - if it is, indeed, a story - does so with the intention of letting him go hog-wild several times. I just hope that he lets the characters seem a little less invincible.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: I keep forgetting about Psycho Pass, I'll give that one a look then. Saw the first episode of Sasami-san when it aired and I really liked the art and animation but not much else. I guess it was vague on purpose, but I just found the episode kind of tiring and annoying. Has the rest of the series followed the same tone as the first episode?

Oh and thanks for the suggestions!

forestd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petiew: I would definitely add Chihayafuru to that list, if you like drama with great characters. It's on its second season right now, but both seasons are consistently amazing.

I continue to be astounded by how they make an anime about an effing cardgame that dramatic, suspenseful and interesting to watch.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4985  Edited By TobbRobb

@petiew: Sasami follows suit for the rest. If you didn't like that, then I can't really recommend it.

@believer258: Monty has a good record of letting "heroes" get hit. II doubt we'll see anyone die, but expect lots of getting punched down and rising again. You know, Anime.

And yeah, considering the trailers, I doubt there will be a lack of action. I just hope they make the context for battle interesting.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4986  Edited By smokeyd123

@petiew: Psycho-Pass is great, definitely one of the better shows this season.

So is anybody watching the new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or The UNLIMITED Hyoubu Kyouske? Both are varying degrees of FABULOUS.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@petiew: im not watching shit, this whole season is terrible :(

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smokeyd123: I'm watching both JoJo's Bizare Adventure and The Unlimited Hyoubu Kyouske even though I've never seen Zettai Karen Children

straysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou is fantastic. One of the best from 2012 for sure. All the scenes with literary girl made me die laughing.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@animasta said:

I was thinking to myself the other day how happy I am with this season. So many more shows I am interested in than usual :p

Have either of you seen Blast of Tempest? It's pretty interesting. You should check it out if you haven't already!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superwristbands: sounds ultra generic and totally not what I like in anime!

I only watch shit that sounds super interesting to me, which is why this season sucks. I know at least 2 things I want to watch next season though (that being devil survivor 2 and silver spoon). I mean I kinda want to try chihayafuru but I don't feel strongly enough about it to actually watch it.

I mean instead of watching generic anime I've been watching glee which is probably a step down but I have to pay attention a lot more to anime, unlike TV, so I have to hold anime to a higher standard.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wraith1: I hadn't read the manga either, but this sort of piqed my interest. I marathoned 17 volumes and I LOVE it so far. It's one of the only manga I've read that's had me laughing out loud and also had interesting characters.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4993  Edited By Mezmero

I sometimes imagine Jeff using his Sega announcer voice to say the title "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure." That show is still incredible! I remember eventually liking Stroheim in the manga but giving him such an over the top voice has made him one of the best characters in series. I'd expect nothing less from the descendent of Dire. So many great villains who I think are just what I needed. I needed someone to bleed. One Piece is still awesome. It's times like this that I'm glad that I don't keep up with the manga chapters. Totally worth it.

Shinmaru007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A friend and I watched all of AKB0048's first season recently, and that shit is so great. I'm hyped to start the second season soon; that might be the only show right now that can challenge JoJo as my favorite anime currently airing. Even beyond lightsaber microphones, pop star androids with wrist-mounted rocket launchers and paramilitary fan clubs, I actually give a shit about what's going on, which is mildly mind-boggling to me. What a series!

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

I was thinking to myself the other day how happy I am with this season. So many more shows I am interested in than usual :p

Have either of you seen Blast of Tempest? It's pretty interesting. You should check it out if you haven't already!

I think Blast of Tempest is one of the best things to come out of anime for a while, there's just this grand theatricality that makes it incredibly captivating to watch and it's always good to see Masahiro doing something at Bones. Shame that it's selling like crap but such is life, I guess. : (

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4996  Edited By Icemo

@bocam said:

I think it says something about Arise when even the CEO of Production IG says Makoto's new design sucks.

When I first saw Kise’s new Motoko I thought it was really dicey as well. I knew he was serious. Kise’s characters come out in production, so I felt they had their work cut out there.

That doesn't look like Motoko at all. What were they thinking!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4998  Edited By Bocam

Here's the opening for that new Steins;gate game

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: wait what's it about?

radical intro regardless

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5000  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@animasta said:

Some trailers for Devil Survivor 2nime

Main Character

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCwFJIQaJ7o

IO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E4mZJxNZC4

Daichi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uCfQ9glToc

the animation looks really nice... I mean the only septentriones in the trailer are dubhe and I think merak (?), but still.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this. Never played the game because the first game broke me, and my desire to play the second one. Man, that first game...

EDIT: Oh, the 5000th post. Congratulations, us. Or should I say Omedetou!