#5702 Edited by AlexanderSheen (4904 posts) -

@golguin: It is a monthly publication and the length of each chapter is about 40-45 (weekly ones are 20-25) pages so it's not that amazing. But I like that they're going with the original manga and not sugarcoating anything (so far).

Bonus spam: Flipping the script, fuckers!

@superwristbands: Yep, that is the kind of stupid I can get behind. Started watching HenNeko yesterday and I was surprised how "normal" it is. When I read the synopsis more than a month ago I thought this is gonna be a fanservice-y ecchi type show.

#5705 Posted by GTCknight (653 posts) -

Sorry about all of my copy comments (if saw them). I didn't know that they being posted as it kept saying error, and just realized that its the site messing with me.

#5706 Edited by GTCknight (653 posts) -

@alexandersheen: Thank you, for reminding me why I like Street Fighter 2 (one of the reasons anyway).

#5707 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@alexandersheen: Hell yeah, HenNeko. It could be the worst trash in the world and I'd still watch it because of the Kantoku designs, despite my very mixed feelings on J.C Staff's adaptation of them. They were so close but they shaded the eyes too dark : (

Now THAT is how Kantoku eyes are supposed to look like. Oh well! At least Shaft adapted his designs pretty well in the first Prism Nana short so that's something, I guess.

#5708 Posted by metalsnakezero (2286 posts) -
#5709 Edited by Mezmero (1764 posts) -

Pretty awesome episode of Attack On Titan. It has quickly become the teen slasher flick of this anime season. Just like in horror movies I want every single one of these characters to die! You know their having sex so they deserve it! I love the setting of the series but these dumb kids drive me nuts. I get all giddy when I think about these insipid anime archetypes getting devoured by frost giants in the most horrific ways possible. Glad I stopped reading it when I did to experience the magic again in all it's animated splendor.

Too bad I won't quite be getting what I want but I'll ride it out for now. It's going to be a real shame when it devolves into yet another crappy all-story. This nonsense has not only ruined many horror cinemas but video games as well.

Watching it makes me want a Left 4 Dead style multiplayer with steam punk spider-men versus titans. Closest thing I can think of like that is Giants: Citizen Kabuto and Shogo.

#5710 Posted by Turambar (6636 posts) -

Well, judging by the latest episode of Oreimo, all the cleverness that made the first season something quite magical is gonna take a back seat to your usual romcom hijinks...

As for Attack on Titan, the next few episodes reminded me of Animorphs, MegaMorphs 2 quite a bit... Now that's a nostalgia trip.

#5711 Edited by Wraith1 (554 posts) -

I watched the newest episode of Attack on Titan yesterday and I'm still in shock

#5712 Posted by Bocam (3665 posts) -

@turambar said:

Well, judging by the latest episode of Oreimo, all the cleverness that made the first season something quite magical

What cleverness? Oreimo, while entertaining, was always a shitty pandering romcom.

#5713 Edited by AlexanderSheen (4904 posts) -

Oh man, I wish I had a sweet BBQ grill like this. Poor dude...

The episode was kind of out of place, but it was fairly funny and had a bunch of girls in swimsuits, so I guess it was alright. At least Red did not have been swallowed, unlike another certain main character.

#5714 Edited by Turambar (6636 posts) -

@bocam said:

@turambar said:

Well, judging by the latest episode of Oreimo, all the cleverness that made the first season something quite magical

What cleverness? Oreimo, while entertaining, was always a shitty pandering romcom.

I'd say this chart is a pretty accurate break down of what the first season was, and why I enjoyed it despite its genre. On the other hand, this has pretty much come to dominate the entire show since the second season.

#5715 Posted by Turambar (6636 posts) -

Oh man, I wish I had a sweet BBQ grill like this. Poor dude...

The episode was kind of out of place, but it was fairly funny and had a bunch of girls in swimsuits, so I guess it was alright. At least Red did not die, unlike another certain main character.

That image reminds me why I'm rather fond of Turn A Gundam. Mecha being used in very un-mecha ways never gets old for me. Though I could use some more of the pew-pew from the first 10 minutes of ep1....

#5716 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4904 posts) -

@turambar said:

@bocam said:

@turambar said:

I'd say this chart is a pretty accurate break down of what the first season was, and why I enjoyed it despite its genre. On the other hand, this has pretty much come to dominate the entire show since the second season.

I feel ya. The Saori episode was the only episode so far that resembled the first season. Almost disappointing actually. The first season did proove that dispite its title, it was not about incest fantasies and shit like that but the opposite of it. And now:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/fef6adea413b377392f6bdeb883d36ba/tumblr_mmc5cxpTGP1rzpynio1_500.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/c55cea29e6f4263f205ba14ba716a842/tumblr_mm4nd42bzX1qkx8s1o1_500.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/91b96bc2938c397f86dcaee8bafd4218/tumblr_mm92zc9d8K1s2vz7vo1_500.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/e0ce8730a4f3c7deb953307cbcd00058/tumblr_mm8klkgzMy1qcl5dao2_1280.png

OreImo was better than this...

#5717 Posted by Wraith1 (554 posts) -
#5718 Posted by Bocam (3665 posts) -

@alexandersheen: @turambar: That chart needs a lot more green and yellow. Oreimo was always about brocon sisters and siscon brothers. At least that's how the light novels were.

#5719 Edited by Turambar (6636 posts) -

@bocam said:

@alexandersheen: @turambar: That chart needs a lot more green and yellow. Oreimo was always about brocon sisters and siscon brothers. At least that's how the light novels were.

Rules to live by: don't give a damn about the quality of the light novel when examining the quality of the anime adaptation. Also no, it doesn't really. Could probably use another slice of a different color marked as "traditional gags and comedy" though.

#5720 Posted by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -

I'm usually late to the party and I wait for a series to be over before I start. Yesterday, I started Magi and after two-thirds of it, I am really diggin' it. I don't know how it ends but I expect it's a "go read the manga now" conclusion. I'm not sure I like it enough to sink any time into reading, but the show is been a fun ride so far. Between this and Ixion Saga DT, these fantasy/action comedies have provided a lot of entertainment for me this year.

#5721 Posted by DivineShadow777 (106 posts) -

So...um anyone catch the 5th episode of Aku no Hana? It was umm pretty something? I just need someone else's opinion on this. Please

#5722 Posted by golguin (3830 posts) -

So...um anyone catch the 5th episode of Aku no Hana? It was umm pretty something? I just need someone else's opinion on this. Please

Well, if the red hair chick did that to me there would be consequences. I don't advocate hitting women, but I'd definitely give her a good choking. I'm guessing she'd probably be into that.

#5723 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I'm usually late to the party and I wait for a series to be over before I start. Yesterday, I started Magi and after two-thirds of it, I am really diggin' it. I don't know how it ends but I expect it's a "go read the manga now" conclusion. I'm not sure I like it enough to sink any time into reading, but the show is been a fun ride so far. Between this and Ixion Saga DT, these fantasy/action comedies have provided a lot of entertainment for me this year.

The kind of a bummer thing is that they pull off some stunts in the last couple of episodes that arguably makes one of the characters way worse compared to the manga. But hey, you need an anime original climax if this is all you get to make, I understand that. Except for the part where they immediatly announced season 2 after the first one ended.

I'm a manga reader though, so I had expectations when going in and at least you're free of that. The manga is still awesome too, so I still have that. Everyone sort of wins!

#5724 Edited by EquitasInvictus (1932 posts) -

@divineshadow777: @golguin: Sawa Nakamura is a terrible person but this actually didn't sell me on hating her. (I'm a few volumes further in the manga and I'm actually surprised the pace the anime is going in comparison from what I can tell; I actually haven't watched it but I know what happens since I looked it up trying to figure out if I was ahead of the anime or not and apparently I'm waaay ahead due to the volumes of manga that are already out). I still can't hate her now, even. I'll have more to say about it if the anime would go a little faster!

Nevertheless, now that I'm framing this in hindsight from where I'm at, I think this definitely only the beginning of Nakamura's and Kasuga's twisted interactions spilling over with devastating effect to those around them (if you think this is crazy just keep watching; things are more prone to escalating quickly from here on out) and I'm actually still surprised at the direction the manga is going at the point I'm at.

I didn't come in expecting to like anyone in this story but man, at some point further from here I just felt sorry for all of them (I guess you could call it good character development on the author's part?). This is the worst way to grow up, ever. This shouldn't be billed as a bildungsroman, although I might be saying this too soon since I'm not sure when or how it's ending but it doesn't seem like it's going to wind down from where I'm at in the manga. I'll definitely be sticking along for the ride with the manga, at least. I hope the anime is just as thrilling for those watching it.

#5725 Posted by golguin (3830 posts) -

@divineshadow777: @golguin: Sawa Nakamura is a terrible person but this actually didn't sell me on hating her. (I'm a few volumes further in the manga and I'm actually surprised the pace the anime is going in comparison from what I can tell; I actually haven't watched it but I know what happens since I looked it up trying to figure out if I was ahead of the anime or not and apparently I'm waaay ahead due to the volumes of manga that are already out). I still can't hate her now, even. I'll have more to say about it if the anime would go a little faster!

Nevertheless, now that I'm framing this in hindsight from where I'm at, I think this definitely only the beginning of Nakamura's and Kasuga's twisted interactions spilling over with devastating effect to those around them (if you think this is crazy just keep watching; things are more prone to escalating quickly from here on out) and I'm actually still surprised at the direction the manga is going at the point I'm at.

I didn't come in expecting to like anyone in this story but man, at some point further from here I just felt sorry for all of them (I guess you could call it good character development on the author's part?). This is the worst way to grow up, ever. This shouldn't be billed as a bildungsroman, although I might be saying this too soon since I'm not sure when or how it's ending but it doesn't seem like it's going to wind down from where I'm at in the manga. I'll definitely be sticking along for the ride with the manga, at least. I hope the anime is just as thrilling for those watching it.

It just feel like a huge cultural disconnect. I've never heard of a high school girl bullying a high school guy into wearing another girls gym clothes (or a similar situation) because it's some form of blackmail? How about getting rid of the gym clothes? How about telling her, "If you want the D I'll give it to you here in the this stall you brought me to." and see what she says?

It all feels like some upside down world where we are suppose to buy this kid as a huge pussy and yet he gets a girl that's obviously damaged goods? I get that the manga is trying to depict some kind of realistic situation, but I've never seen a wuss like him. Even compared to kids in high school that were actually wusses he'd raise them all to alpha male status.

#5726 Edited by AlexanderSheen (4904 posts) -

@golguin said:

@divineshadow777 said:

Well, if the red hair chick did that to me there would be consequences. I don't advocate hitting women, but I'd definitely give her a good choking. I'm guessing she'd probably be into that.

I don't have anything to add to this discussion (already dropped it) but I have to admit, even though she's a dangerous crazy bastard, she is beautiful.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/29a81da6cf867e9eef8c2b78f38fe376/tumblr_mme4p7OCOR1s5mnpao1_500.gif

Ixion Saga DT was a secret gem of the last season for sure. One or two episodes might be weaker than the others in regards of humor, but I was always a sucker for fourth wall breaking and it was a really funny show in general.

Bonus spam: Damn you Kamiya Hiroshi, why are you so great at singing?

#5727 Posted by Giefcookie (579 posts) -

This is shaping up to be one of the few seasons where I'll end up watching everything through to the end. Except for Aku no Hana, too scared to even start that since I feel like it might trigger a really bad bummer-streak.

I've never played the Devil Survivor games but man, watching the series is making me really want to go back and watch the P4 Endurance run again, for the 4th time.

#5728 Edited by metalsnakezero (2286 posts) -

@alexandersheen: You're missing another scene :D

I'm only reading the series and really liking it in a case study type of way.

Also here something that is also funny.

#5729 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5120 posts) -

The newest episode of attack on Titan had me in disbelief.

That feeling of strength and hope the main characters had quickly dissipated. Everything just fell apart so fast. Five episodes in and the main protagonist got cut down. I wonder if he'll pull an isaac clarke in dead space 3 and fight his way out of the stomach of that monster.

I'm very interested to see how they continue where it left off.

#5730 Posted by metalsnakezero (2286 posts) -
#5731 Edited by HorseFactory (98 posts) -

Hey, somebody throw some anime recommendations at me. I've not watched any in time.
In the past, I've really enjoyed: Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Gankutsuo, Ergo Proxy, Paranoia Agent, Paprika & everything Ghost in the Shell related.
I was recommended Eden of the East just the other day, and since I kinda like Production IG, figured I may give that a whirl.
Worth watching?

#5732 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4904 posts) -
#5733 Edited by DocHaus (1310 posts) -
#5734 Edited by TobbRobb (4549 posts) -

@horsefactory:

What he said. Pretty much. :D

@equitasinvictus Would you mind spoiling some of the later stages of the Aku no Hana manga for me? In spoiler tags (or PM) of course. I only read a few chapters and thought it looked fucking terrible, but the praise it gets makes me curious. Not curious enough to actually read it mind you, but still curious. Try and sell it to me. :D

#5735 Posted by Azurath (294 posts) -

So, HenNeko (is that what we are calling it?), this shit is crazy. I haven't not enjoyed an episode, but I sort of hate myself for liking it as much as I do.

Episode 4 is fucked. I laughed so hard at the big revelation, not going to spoil it for those who haven't watched, that I threw my headphones off. I also really like the decision of not making Yokodera a bitch, and having him stand up for himself when he was confronted by tsukiko's sister. I also admire the fact that there isn't too much fanservice. It's got just enough to make for some funny character moments.

It has a decent amount of comedy, the art is really nice, and it's got a fun story. Definitely worth watching for those of you who haven't seen it yet.

#5736 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

thank fucking god, Aoi Hana is finally ending. I know I am the one person who cares, but that manga had the slowest pacing besides the OTHER manga she does (hourou musuko) so her ending something fills me with hope that hourou musuko will end one day.

#5737 Edited by Daroki (707 posts) -

@golguin said:

@equitasinvictus said:

It just feel like a huge cultural disconnect. I've never heard of a high school girl bullying a high school guy into wearing another girls gym clothes (or a similar situation) because it's some form of blackmail? How about getting rid of the gym clothes? How about telling her, "If you want the D I'll give it to you here in the this stall you brought me to." and see what she says?

It all feels like some upside down world where we are suppose to buy this kid as a huge pussy and yet he gets a girl that's obviously damaged goods? I get that the manga is trying to depict some kind of realistic situation, but I've never seen a wuss like him. Even compared to kids in high school that were actually wusses he'd raise them all to alpha male status.

Nakamura's already established physical dominance over him. He's broken at this point and any response he tries to give to her bullying is going to get shot down and he already has the Battered Person's Syndrome going on (he believes because he took the clothes, he deserves the abuse he's receiving). So you tell her "If you want the D..." and by the time you get those words out of your mouth, your clothes are ruined and you're left going on your date with Saeki's gym clothes or standing up your angel. Nakamura has the leverage so she doesn't have to resort to violence, but she's proven that she can flat out overwhelm him physically if she wants to.

Need to watch Attack on Titan, but between Aku No Hana and Chihayafuru I'm as happy with this season's anime as I could hope to be. Adding a third awesome series would be icing on the cake.

#5738 Posted by Hailinel (23671 posts) -

I've started watching Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit this past week. (Yes, I know it's like four years old now.) I've watched up through episode ten. Pretty good so far.

#5739 Edited by golguin (3830 posts) -

@daroki said:

@golguin said:

@equitasinvictus said:

Nakamura's already established physical dominance over him. He's broken at this point and any response he tries to give to her bullying is going to get shot down and he already has the Battered Person's Syndrome going on (he believes because he took the clothes, he deserves the abuse he's receiving). So you tell her "If you want the D..." and by the time you get those words out of your mouth, your clothes are ruined and you're left going on your date with Saeki's gym clothes or standing up your angel. Nakamura has the leverage so she doesn't have to resort to violence, but she's proven that she can flat out overwhelm him physically if she wants to.

Need to watch Attack on Titan, but between Aku No Hana and Chihayafuru I'm as happy with this season's anime as I could hope to be. Adding a third awesome series would be icing on the cake.

I just really dislike characters like this guy and Shinji from Evangelion. I don't understand the whole getting overpowered by someone who's clearly smaller than you. I also don't understand how the item that she's using to blackmail him is in HIS possession and he can get rid of it and destroy it whenever he wants.

The pink haired chick has ZERO leverage and anything she says can simply be hand waved as a lie thanks to her reputation.

The obvious thing is that the guy likes the attention he's getting from the pink haired girl and he enjoys the psychological abuse. He's also impressed by how her "game" has actually helped him get the damaged goods white dress girl.

#5740 Posted by HorseFactory (98 posts) -

@alexandersheen: Thanks, duder!

Looks like I've got some decent viewing material to tide me over for some time

#5741 Posted by Daroki (707 posts) -

@golguin said:

@daroki said:

@golguin said:

@equitasinvictus said:

I just really dislike characters like this guy and Shinji from Evangelion. I don't understand the whole getting overpowered by someone who's clearly smaller than you. I also don't understand how the item that she's using to blackmail him is in HIS possession and he can get rid of it and destroy it whenever he wants.

The pink haired chick has ZERO leverage and anything she says can simply be hand waved as a lie thanks to her reputation.

The obvious thing is that the guy likes the attention he's getting from the pink haired girl and he enjoys the psychological abuse. He's also impressed by how her "game" has actually helped him get the damaged goods white dress girl.

Guess what, Shinji from Evangelion has resonated with people for two decades because there's an aspect of people who are like that. Nice that you hate him, I don't think he's really supposed to be liked when he puts a mirror to a part of human weakness, but that doesn't mean he's not relevant or that if you looked deep down into your heart, you'd find that you have a part that's a little bit like him. "I'd give you the D...", you'd never say anything like that to a real, live, human girl so stop the bluster and think for a bit. He looked around everywhere, but she SAW him. If she tells people he did it, he'll crack because he's guilty of the crime. It's his own guilt that's eating at him, and she's praying on that so he can't just "hand wave" it away. He's not going to destroy an artifact from his angel, it'd be like destroying a religious artifact. He did it and betrayed this angelic figure he built up in his own mind and because of that he deserves the punishment, and Nakamura's more than willing to give it to him. He's battered, but he feels that he'll be redeemed and at this point, Saeki's unwillingly allowed his self-flagellation to actually look like it got him what he wanted. So now he's screwed and the method has been reinforced. Obviously he doesn't like it, but now it's a means to an end that he desperately wants, and it's borne out of his own actions, so he endures it.

And size obviously doesn't matter, because she tore his clothes off, raped him as good, actually better, than if she fucked him (because he got no release from it), and had him in Saeki's gym clothes in less than two minutes Hey look, the show that's been slowly paced and languid causes the main character not to react when it bursts into action. Size and power are two different things, and while Nakamura doesn't have the former, she absolutely has demonstrated the latter. Yeah, he's not a hard ass, you think an eighth grader who goes around reading Baudelaire is going to go gangster on her ass?

#5742 Edited by golguin (3830 posts) -

@daroki said:

@golguin said:

@daroki said:

@golguin said:

@equitasinvictus said:

Guess what, Shinji from Evangelion has resonated with people for two decades because there's an aspect of people who are like that. Nice that you hate him, I don't think he's really supposed to be liked when he puts a mirror to a part of human weakness, but that doesn't mean he's not relevant or that if you looked deep down into your heart, you'd find that you have a part that's a little bit like him. "I'd give you the D...", you'd never say anything like that to a real, live, human girl so stop the bluster and think for a bit. He looked around everywhere, but she SAW him. If she tells people he did it, he'll crack because he's guilty of the crime. It's his own guilt that's eating at him, and she's praying on that so he can't just "hand wave" it away. He's not going to destroy an artifact from his angel, it'd be like destroying a religious artifact. He did it and betrayed this angelic figure he built up in his own mind and because of that he deserves the punishment, and Nakamura's more than willing to give it to him. He's battered, but he feels that he'll be redeemed and at this point, Saeki's unwillingly allowed his self-flagellation to actually look like it got him what he wanted. So now he's screwed and the method has been reinforced. Obviously he doesn't like it, but now it's a means to an end that he desperately wants, and it's borne out of his own actions, so he endures it.

And size obviously doesn't matter, because she tore his clothes off, raped him as good, actually better, than if she fucked him (because he got no release from it), and had him in Saeki's gym clothes in less than two minutes Hey look, the show that's been slowly paced and languid causes the main character not to react when it bursts into action. Size and power are two different things, and while Nakamura doesn't have the former, she absolutely has demonstrated the latter. Yeah, he's not a hard ass, you think an eighth grader who goes around reading Baudelaire is going to go gangster on her ass?

Shinji resonated with people? What people? I've never heard any discussion around Evangelion come anywhere close to praising Shinji for anything and I've read a lot of eva discussions on various forums.

I don't like characters like Shinji because I'm nothing like that and I don't see how a person like that can survive in the real world. I've already brought it up enough in other threads, but let's just say my childhood environment would have crushed a character like Shinji in real life.

Speaking of real life not only have I said something similar to, "I'd give you the D..." to a real live girl, but I plan to keep on saying similar things. Girls/women aren't some precious thing to place on a pedestal. They're real people with various types of personalities and if given the chance they're as bad as any "bad guy" out there.

The dude is a perfect example of how to treat women the wrong way. You can't be a pleasing doormat and expect everything to be fine. The fact that he doesn't fight back makes him terrible. I was in 8th grade and I can't think of a single individual during that time that would fit this dude's persona. People were even a bit afraid of the loners in my middle school because they gave off a Trenchcoat Mafia/Columbine feel. I was always nice to them in case they ever though of shooting up the school and yes a good number of people (including teachers) were worried that they might do something like that.

#5743 Edited by EXTomar (4444 posts) -

Shinji resonated with people? I thought he was the butt of jokes for decades where all of the drama and issues seem to be generated from that character's poor decisions. Even back when it aired watchers recognized how Shinji was making a bad situation worse.

#5744 Edited by Turambar (6636 posts) -
@golguin said:

Shinji resonated with people? What people? I've never heard any discussion around Evangelion come anywhere close to praising Shinji for anything and I've read a lot of eva discussions on various forums.

@extomar said:

Shinji resonated with people? I thought he was the butt of jokes for decades where all of the drama and issues seem to be generated from that character's poor decisions. Even back when it aired watchers recognized how Shinji was making a bad situation worse.

Yes. You not hearing something does not equate that something not existing, certainly when it's existed for over a dozen years now.

The praise for Shinji, and the cast of Eva as a whole really, revolves around the very fact that they are all flawed, damaged, and broken people placed in the quite absurd position of saving the world. Shinji is no Kabuto Kouji, and that's what was attractive about him. I like Shinji for the same reason I like Char. I don't like either in the sense that I'd want to hang out with them. I like both because they are both incredibly interesting due to their severe flaws. They are narrow minded, petty, insecure. And fuck if that's not compelling for a lot of people.

#5745 Posted by jiggajoe14 (629 posts) -

Hey, somebody throw some anime recommendations at me. I've not watched any in

time

In the past, I've really enjoyed: Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Gankutsuo, Ergo Proxy, Paranoia Agent, Paprika & everything Ghost in the Shell related.

I was recommended Eden of the East just the other day, and since I kinda like Production IG, figured I may give that a whirl.

Worth watching?

Along with the Mushishi recommendation I would also recommend Mononoke

#5746 Edited by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

I've been watching a bunch of giant robot anime in the last few weeks, based on a list I put together consisting of different series featured in Super Robot Wars. Started with me re watching G Gundam as it had been a long time since, then I ended up shortly afterwards watching Getter Robo Armageddon, Mazinkaiser SKL, Shin Mazinger Shougeki Z Hen, Macross Frontier, and am currently 15 episodes into Gundam 00. So far out of those, I've enjoyed the shit out of both SKL and Shin Mazinger (aside from the ending being such a downer, Go Nagai you bastard). As of right now Gundam 00 has been pretty interesting to watch. I definitely get some Gundam Wing vibes just from the basic premise, but it still feels very distinct.

#5747 Posted by Bocam (3665 posts) -

Shinji is a pretty great character. I think this says it best

#5748 Posted by golguin (3830 posts) -

@turambar said:
@golguin said:

@extomar said:

Yes. You not hearing something does not equate that something not existing, certainly when it's existed for over a dozen years now.

The praise for Shinji, and the cast of Eva as a whole really, revolves around the very fact that they are all flawed, damaged, and broken people placed in the quite absurd position of saving the world. Shinji is no Kabuto Kouji, and that's what was attractive about him. I like Shinji for the same reason I like Char. I don't like either in the sense that I'd want to hang out with them. I like both because they are both incredibly interesting due to their severe flaws. They are narrow minded, petty, insecure. And fuck if that's not compelling for a lot of people.

Flawed characters are certainly some of the most interesting characters out there and are worth rooting for, but there is a bounds of reason on how pathetic a character can be and Shinji crossed that line by a mile. It's probably why I like Simon so much from TTGL. For a moment he takes the "Shinji Route", but only long enough to make his revival that much better.

Attack on Titan was soooooo good in episode 5 because it played with everyone's expectation. To avoid spoilers (I haven't really read the manga past that point) I'll leave it at that.

#5749 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Speaking of TTGL, Trigger's new anime just got unveiled for realsies as Kill La Kill. I was a bit worried who was going to write it, but it's nice to see Imaishi reunited with the TTGL writer but this time with a focus on female hand-to-hand combat (Yet swords are present in the key visual? Hell, I don't know) . Some other good news is that some animators from Little Witch Academia will be working on the project, and from the sounds of it they're going with a structure sort of similar to TTGL's where the first half is more a straight up battle show while the second half is more of a character drama. Some choice quotes from interviews I've read:

"During the show (TTGL). Six years ago, Imaishi ripped up the finished script for Episode 1 while screaming "The drill in my heart won't spin with shit like this!" This time, it ended up with "I can't wear sailor uniforms with this kind of story!" while ripping up 4 episodes' worth of script.

I: EHH~? Does that mean I have to wear a sailor uniform if I OK'd the script?"

"Yes, it's like the Yoko vs. Adiane fight (from the TTGL film) for the whole thing."

"it's a work that'd express both the spirit of Inferno Cop and the imagination behind Little Witch Academia." (what the hell does this even mean? I can't even...)

Go go, Trigger.

#5750 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

@cloudenvy: I only just saw the first episode of Inferno Cop, but a show that expresses it's spirit can only be good...I think?

Looks great though, can't wait to see what it looks like in motion.