#6451 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@penguindust: If you have not watched it yet Full Metal Panic 1 and second raid is a really good mecha show. It is my favorite in this genre

#6452 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

@darji: Yes, I've seen FMP, but still need to catch FMP:TSR and the comical FMP:fumoffu. There were a few instances in the first series which I felt were too convenient to the story and the show's tone shifts can be a bit uneven, but overall I liked it. One thing I can praise it for is its dub version. I've seen it both dubbed and subbed and the English voice directors did a very good job finding English actors with the same vocal style as the Japanese originals.

Still speaking of Macross, Minamay's Japanese voice actress from Super Dimensional Macross, Mari Iijima, was also her in the English dub. Watching that series with her portraying the character is so different than Rebecca Forstadt's Minmei in Robotech. I'd say 99% of what I watch is subbed, but when I find a show that's dubbed really well, I have to give it props for doing it right.

#6453 Posted by SunBroZak (1015 posts) -
#6454 Edited by redelectric (153 posts) -

From previous thread too:

Kids on the Slope.

Eden of the East.

Attack on Titan.

Eureka 7.

#6455 Posted by TruthTellah (8529 posts) -

I know it's not exactly anime-related, but I am currently watching the first fireworks show of the year in Animal Crossing and it feels like a very anime thing. ha. It makes me think of all of the festival episodes I see in series. :)

#6456 Edited by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

I know it's not exactly anime-related, but I am currently watching the first fireworks show of the year in Animal Crossing and it feels like a very anime thing. ha. It makes me think of all of the festival episodes I see in series. :)

You could watch the Animal Crossing anime. Only you don't interact with it, it more for kids but in a morally good way, and you learn the voice of tom nook....in Japanese at least.

#6457 Posted by TruthTellah (8529 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

You could watch the Animal Crossing anime. Only you don't interact with it, it more for kids but in a morally good way, and you learn the voice of tom nook....in Japanese at least.

ha. Yeah, the AC anime isn't for me. It's definitely different without the interaction. :)

#6458 Posted by Ezakael (911 posts) -

So I'm really enjoying Attack on Titan right now. In fact I'm having a really hard time waiting for each episode because of how fucking awesome it is. Does anyone have any suggestions for other animes similar to it? (Big epic battles, similar ost possibly). I can't really list off all the anime's I've seen but one of my all time favourites is Dark than Black.

#6459 Posted by Disaya (283 posts) -

So I watched another episode of that RWBY thing and yeah, it's getting pretty painful to watch. I really just want to watch Monty Oum make crazy fight scenes. I mean, I knew there was no way that it could live up to those trailers, but the dialogue is just horrendous. The voice actors are all right for rookies, but damn, those lines are really bad.

Actually, the animation itself is bad. Those trailers were anything but "subtle", and were awesome for it. If you're going to have three episodes of people talking and interacting, then you've got to have a grasp on subtle movements and contact. It doesn't look right. This could definitely be made up for by good writing and/or more fight scenes, but again, both are lacking. Maybe I'll watch another on the off chance that something will go flying through the air, but for now I have to watch something decent.

I seriously had such a hard time getting through the first episode of this, it was so painful. I agree the dialogue and voice acting are really bad. I have to admit that from the teasers they were showing, I was expecting a bit more than what I got. Then on top of that she ends up going to some school for gifted fighters or whatever, I really don't want it turning into some high school hijinks with action on the side. I'm not sure if I should bother with future episodes.

#6460 Posted by Disaya (283 posts) -

@digiwth said:

Anyone have any suggestions for anime in the same vein as Serial Experiments Lain?

I'd recommend Texhnolyze, Ergo Proxy, Mushishi, Boogiepop Phantom, Rahxephon, Paranoia Agent and of course Ghost in the Shell.

#6462 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4282 posts) -

(Well shit, didn't mean to delete my post. Anywhoooo...)

Another dope episode of Uchouten Kazoku. I think it's finally safe to say Benten is probably one of my favorite characters in anything in recent memory. The entire cast of this show is pretty damn great, but her "I'm literally telling you how I feel without literally telling you how I feel" chat with Yasaburo was a beautiful scene to watch. Anyone else catch the latest episode? How ya liking it so far?

#6463 Edited by rubberluffy (439 posts) -

(Well shit, didn't mean to delete my post. Anywhoooo...)

Another dope episode of Uchouten Kazoku. I think it's finally safe to say Benten is probably one of my favorite characters in anything in recent memory. The entire cast of this show is pretty damn great, but her "I'm literally telling you how I feel without literally telling you how I feel" chat with Yasaburo was a beautiful scene to watch. Anyone else catch the latest episode? How ya liking it so far?

1 good first episode and 4 fantastic following it? Yeah I'm feeling pretty great about it. Any scene with Yasaburo and Benten interacting, even if it's completely without words like the fireworks scene last episode, is just really, really good. Benten is an incredibly hard character to figure out. Is she really just selfish? Are her interactions with Yasaburo a game to her? Is there genuine attaction? Definitely looking forward to the rest of this.

#6464 Posted by MOAB (374 posts) -

@ezakael said:

So I'm really enjoying Attack on Titan right now. In fact I'm having a really hard time waiting for each episode because of how fucking awesome it is.

i know, right? it's the damn cliffhangers!

#6465 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

This weeks episode of Attack on Titan was pretty awesome, hopefully it keeps picking up some speed again. But quick question about the episode that is kind of spoilery: When Armin Shouts "Avenge the bastard who ran to their death..." to Jean what did Armin hope that would do? and why did the lady titan stop its attack when Armin yelled that. Was it just a latch ditch effort to psych Jean up or something?

Also Watamote continues to be surprisingly good

hmm meant to put the spoilery part in the spoiler tags....was pretty sure i did.

Armin assumed the Titan was looking for Eren, so Armin shouted something like 'this was the bastard who killed my best friend' and mentioned that the Titan had stepped on him without noticing. He was trying to distract the Titan from killing Jean hoping that having been told it had killed Eren it would react, and it did. That's how I saw it anyway.

#6466 Edited by Spectreman (232 posts) -

Yamato 2199 is better every new volume.

#6467 Posted by DocHaus (1314 posts) -

I'll probably make an official blog/forum post on this later when I have more time/care, but I figured this would be relevant to your interests: Let's Build a Doujin Bundle!

If nothing else, check out Yatagarasu and Cherry Tree High.

#6468 Edited by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

@spectreman: That's one I've always been curious about. I enjoyed the original series from the 70's, but haven't given the various updates much of a look-see. I might check this out.

Now they just need to bring back Mazinger Z and Gatchaman from the 70's...oh wait. *sigh*

On a separate note, I finished Macross Frontier last weekend and it was very good. The ending was a little too familiar if you've seen other Macross series, but that might be a feature of the franchise now. I don't know. Either way, the music was pretty good, there were plenty of references to the earlier shows and characters were interesting enough. As I said in an earlier post, the air-to-air combat is stellar.

I followed Macross F with a rom-com called Kannagi. It was better than I expected. There were quite a few good chuckles over the course of the series. There are some harem aspects to the show if that's a deal breaker. I liked it either way. The two main leads were entertaining and it offered some laughs. That's enough to get a seal-of-approval from me.

Not sure what I'll be watching next.

#6469 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1538 posts) -

I just started watching the Persona 4 anime.

#6470 Posted by SCOOTMAN (37 posts) -

Currently watching Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Attack on Titan. Gonna start Samurai Champloo sometime soon.

#6471 Posted by Spectreman (232 posts) -

@penguindust: Just download the first episode and try. Nyaa has a lot of versions. Dont need to be the 1gb uktra hd. The 300mb episode version is fine. The blu-ray were not released in usa yet. Only official method are the overprice japanese blu-ray. I hope they release with the original audio. But was very strange see the name "Starblazers 2199" in www.starblazers.com. The best site for Yamato stuff is ourstarblazers.com, from the dude who did the content for the old official site, before the japanese changed the site for this shit version.

#6472 Edited by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

Little Witch Academia 2 is now officially a thing.

#6473 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

The world is now a better place.

Anyway

Symphogear ep 6

Man, Hibiki can't take a break. She lost her arm but grow it back by going a rage like, her was hated by everyone for being the lone survivor from the starting event in season 1, and now she has space cancer. Still she willing to do the impossible to protect her friends, that is character development.

#6474 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2458 posts) -

Just watched the three Evangelion movies without any prior knowledge about the show. I was able to follow the first one, the second movie confused me and the third -- I don't even. Nice 'splosions, I guess? And holy shit, how angsty can a main character be.

#6475 Edited by gokaired (478 posts) -
#6476 Edited by golguin (3842 posts) -

I had no idea that was even a thing. I was really hoping that it would turn into a full series, but this is also good. Has any other anime received funding through kickstarter before?

#6477 Edited by Mezmero (1789 posts) -

One Piece is finally getting great again. More than happy to stick exclusively with the anime. Those epic moments hit that much harder as a cartoon. Attack On Titan has been awesome for the past two episodes. I guess I was a little confused on where I left off in the book because of how disjointed it was. The last thing I read chronologically speaking was that researcher chick's ultimate fate but I hadn't seen any of the events of these episodes. Now more than ever I'm glad I waited to see this in motion and am stoked to see more. You really can't beat the added benefit of sound, movement, and color.

Sort of off topic but I have watched Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox a number of times since it's release and it's just amazing. It might be my favorite DC animated movie to date. That's saying something since most of they're animated stuff is good to great. Certainly some of the sharpest action sequences they've ever produced. They really give The Flash the attention he deserves as one of the greatest heroes in the history of drawn fiction. It's technically anime since it was story boarded and animated by Studio 4C, a Japanese studio. The blu-ray is so worth it. I simply can't wait for that next movie.

#6478 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

@golguin said:

@alexandersheen said:

I had no idea that was even a thing. I was really hoping that it would turn into a full series, but this is also good. Has any other anime received funding through kickstarter before?

No idea. The only thing I know is this:

Why Kickstarter?

The first episode of Little Witch Academia was created under the “Anime Mirai” project by Yoh Yoshinari and studio TRIGGER.

The episode was made available to be viewed on the internet shortly after the premier, and many support and comments were given. To answer to these voices, we have decided to create a sequel to the episode. We also found out about Kickstarter through the comments given by the fans oversea.

Being a new studio, we felt the Kickstarter system to be innovative and fitting to our studio’s taste. Making a series “with” the fans is definitely what we were looking for. With the support from our fans, we believe that we can definitely develop on this new foundation.

#6479 Edited by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

Also, I have finally escaped from the tight grasp of Saltybets and returned to the thing that really matters: fuckin' Ah-ni-may! And let me tell you folks it was not easy. Luckily, feeling cheated when losing a bet was a big help.

#6480 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -
#6481 Edited by golguin (3842 posts) -

I really enjoy Railgun and I'm thinking I want to check out Index. I know that some story beats intersect (like in the current season of Railgun with Accelerator), but I want to keep Railgun as the main series so I don't want to jump ahead with Index.

Based on where the Railgun S anime is currently at how much of Index can I watch?

#6482 Edited by Bocam (3670 posts) -

@golguin said:

I really enjoy Railgun and I'm thinking I want to check out Index. I know that some story beats intersect (like in the current season of Railgun with Accelerator), but I want to keep Railgun as the main series so I don't want to jump ahead with Index.

Based on where the Railgun S anime is currently at how much of Index can I watch?

If they finished the Accelerator arc, the next canon Railgun arc would be the Daihasei festival arc so you could watch up to that. So all of season 1 of Index + up to episode 7 of season 2

#6483 Posted by gokaired (478 posts) -

In the Process of Watching GetBackers and Book of Bantorra

Finished Watching Black Lagoon Roberta's Blood Trail, Dark and off beat as i like :)

#6485 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

I just watched the first two episodes of Mushi-Shi. Heady stuff. Also interesting.

#6488 Posted by DocHaus (1314 posts) -

@shypanda: "lol" is not a substitute for a period in a sentence.

#6489 Edited by Bocam (3670 posts) -

They sure did a good job hiding what this arc is really about

#6490 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

RWBY is on Crunchyroll now. http://www.crunchyroll.com/rwby

Now to what I been watching...

Silver spoon is very funny and insightful, Symphogear is still crazy, Chihaya Megumi from Servant x Service is still crazy.

#6491 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I just watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood again, it's probably the best anime?

I like steins;gate more as VN and I dunno if bodacious holds up, as great as that is.

#6492 Posted by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

@animasta said:

I like steins;gate more as VN and I dunno if bodacious holds up, as great as that is.

It probably because it is very lengthy at the beginning. Doesn't help that the interesting parts are near the mid-point.

#6493 Posted by gokaired (478 posts) -

@animasta said:

I just watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood again, it's probably the best anime?

Nah, that's either Cowboy Bebop or Wolf's Rain :P

#6494 Edited by believer258 (11629 posts) -

@gokaired said:

@animasta said:

Nope, it's either FMAB or Baccano. I can't decide which one I like better.

#6495 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@gokaired said:

@animasta said:

I really should start up Full Metal alchemist again, but which do you guys like better? If I remember there's 2 version, one that generally follows the manga, while the other is a different storyline?

#6496 Posted by rubberluffy (439 posts) -

Currently reading Ketchup Ninja, I can't even describe it. It's so fucking bonkers. Japan bans ninjas, high school girl/ninja moves to the US and enters school there. Only it's completely insane. And kinda entertaining?

#6497 Edited by believer258 (11629 posts) -

@sexytoad said:

@believer258 said:

@gokaired said:

@animasta said:

I really should start up Full Metal alchemist again, but which do you guys like better? If I remember there's 2 version, one that generally follows the manga, while the other is a different storyline?

There's the original Full Metal Alchemist, which starts off similarly to the manga but diverges more and more as things go on, and culminates in an entirely different ending with a different antagonist. Brotherhood is a close adaptation of the manga. Both are fantastic. However, both are very different - the first one is darker and Ed is something of a different character. Brotherhood is more focused on humor and being lighthearted, almost to a fault in its first dozen or so episodes. It gets much better, though.

Honestly, I think you should start with the original, give it a short rest, and then watch Brotherhood. I still haven't quite decided on which one I think is better, but I do consider both pretty essential.

#6498 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@sexytoad said:

@believer258 said:

@gokaired said:

@animasta said:

There's the original Full Metal Alchemist, which starts off similarly to the manga but diverges more and more as things go on, and culminates in an entirely different ending with a different antagonist. Brotherhood is a close adaptation of the manga. Both are fantastic. However, both are very different - the first one is darker and Ed is something of a different character. Brotherhood is more focused on humor and being lighthearted, almost to a fault in its first dozen or so episodes. It gets much better, though.

Honestly, I think you should start with the original, give it a short rest, and then watch Brotherhood. I still haven't quite decided on which one I think is better, but I do consider both pretty essential.

I'll offer a rebuttal and say that Brotherhood is far and away the best thing to watch, and is ultimately fine to watch by itself. The first one is way plodding, the ending is terrible, the story is ultimately too enamored with being gritty and dark; Brotherhood is more comical, sure, but that doesn't mean it's less dramatic as a result.

The only thing that the first one is worth watching is the Nina stuff, but that doesn't make it worth slogging through the first 12 or so episodes just to start brotherhood.

#6499 Edited by Ezakael (911 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@sexytoad said:

@believer258 said:

@gokaired said:

@animasta said:

Funny how I came here to mention I'm watching FMAB and people are already discussing it. Guess all I have to say now is that it's easily one of best anime's I've ever watched. I remember seeing parts of the original a long time ago and decided to give brotherhood a shot. I almost regret seeing it before watching the first version because now I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to enjoy it because of how the bar is set with Brotherhood. I might still go back and try it someday.

I just finished episode 40 a few minutes ago (I'm practically marathoning it at this point)

#6500 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

@animasta said:

@believer258 said:

@sexytoad said:

@believer258 said:

@gokaired said:

@animasta said:

I'll offer a rebuttal and say that Brotherhood is far and away the best thing to watch, and is ultimately fine to watch by itself. The first one is way plodding, the ending is terrible, the story is ultimately too enamored with being gritty and dark; Brotherhood is more comical, sure, but that doesn't mean it's less dramatic as a result.

The only thing that the first one is worth watching is the Nina stuff, but that doesn't make it worth slogging through the first 12 or so episodes just to start brotherhood.

The first one isn't plodding. It's definitely slower and more methodical, but never "plodding". The ending of the anime is great, it wraps up the overarching theme of equivalent exchange quite well, and fits in with the darker tone (a tone that I like) while giving viewers hope. I also feel like the slower pace and darker tone allows for a wider range of characterization. They do some very interesting things with certain characters that Brotherhood and the manga wouldn't ever do.

The movie's ending is what really sucks. Don't watch that movie, Sexytoad. It might sour you on the whole show.

I don't think that Brotherhood is less dramatic but at times its comedy definitely gets in the way of its drama. Sometimes the humor is way overblown. Case in point, when Ed storms in on Greed.

None of this is to say that Brotherhood is anything close to "bad". God, no, it's brilliant, usually funny, compelling, well-written, and has a final dozen episodes that far more than make up for the not so great first 12. But the first one definitely needs defending, I feel like people sometimes misunderstand that one and expect the same thing out of it that they got out of Brotherhood.

Anyway, @sexytoad, watch Brotherhood first if you want. I recommended the original one first because many of the moments that both shows cover come across far better and have far more impact in the first. I can't imagine someone actually caring about some of the more dramatic events in the beginning of Brotherhood just because its pace doesn't allow for some characters to have much of a presence. At the end of the day, though, Brotherhood is more of a smart popcorn classic and the original is something that you turn on your brain and your serious face for.