#51 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@DonChipotle: Eh, I hate watching baseball, so the idea of a baseball anime is very "meh" for me. Is the focus mostly baseball or is it good in other respects?

#52 Edited by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

@DonChipotle: Eh, I hate watching baseball, so the idea of a baseball anime is very "meh" for me. Is the focus mostly baseball or is it good in other respects?

The show is as much about baseball as it is about character development and shit. There is a reason the tagline for the manga is "DRAMATIC BASEBALL COMIC". ANd that is because there is a ton of drama. Like, I'm talking 'make you get emotional all the time' drama. Yes, most of the conflict in the series gets settled on the field, but plenty of time is spent developing the large cast of characters off the field as well. With each new season (except for 6) the show devotes as much time in developing the new characters as it does playing baseball. I'd say it is a pretty even split between baseball playing and character dynamics. They never spend more than a few episodes on a baseball game in the show except for near the end of any given season where you can have a full arc all on one game.

#53 Posted by Petiew (1328 posts) -
@supermike6 said:

@EquitasInvictus: When I first watched 5cm Per Second I didn't really get it, but on my second viewing I really liked it. I've never seen Summer Wars though, is it any good? Only thing I've heard is that it's like Digimon, which doesn't seem very promising...

Digimon adventure and Tamers were great! 
Our war game is a follow up to adventure, Mamoru Hosoda was director on both Our War Game and Summer wars and it really shows.
OWG is actually a very decent short movie.
#54 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@DonChipotle: Completely unrelated, but is your display picture from Republic of Doyle, or am I being delusional?

#55 Posted by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

@DonChipotle: Completely unrelated, but is your display picture from Republic of Doyle, or am I being delusional?

It is from In Bruges, which is a great movie that I suggest everyone check out.

#56 Edited by Hailinel (23856 posts) -

Guys and gals, when I was a wee lad in the early to mid-1980s, there was an anime movie that played for some time on HBO in which a baby unicorn and a young girl try to save their village from an evil wizard that has turned all of its residents into creepy puppet...things. It was hands down the freakiest thing that my young mind had ever witnessed. Then it stopped airing. I didn't know what it was called, but the movie had always stayed in the back of my mind. Around the time I was in college, I finally learned the name of this movie, and I have desired to see it again every since in order to revisit that amazement and horror that I first bore witness to as a mere child. A couple of years ago, I found that it was on Youtube in multiple parts, but it just wasn't the same. I needed the full thing ready, in my hands, in its entirety. Without it, my childhood, my very life itself would be left incomplete regardless of what the rest of my days might hold for me.

Today is the day that my life is complete:

Death with come for me one day, but victory is finally mine.
#57 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Hailinel: ....I need to track this down.

#58 Posted by Hailinel (23856 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

Amazon.com. It was finally published on Region 1 DVD back in May.

#59 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Amazon.com. It was finally published on Region 1 DVD back in May.

I am on it.

#60 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Today is the day that my life is complete:

Now you owe it to humanity to upload that stuff to Youtube, for prosperity sake. 25 years from now someone will start a forum thread asking for the name of a Japanese unicorn movie he was shown as a kid and the cycle will be complete.

btw, am i the only one raging at the incredible cheap cop-out ending of Dusk maiden of amnesia? one of the biggest failures to commit i have seen in a while. It had a good thing going for a while then finally makes up its mind that it just wants to be a generic harem/comedy

And: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Atamosk

#61 Posted by Snipper138 (338 posts) -

@Questionable: You're definitely not the only one. The cop out kind of ruined the whole show for me.

#62 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Snipper138 said:

@Questionable: You're definitely not the only one. The cop out kind of ruined the whole show for me.

Yeah, definitely not the only one.

#63 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@Questionable: @Snipper138: @Cloudenvy:

If the ending for Dusk Maiden was disappointing, but you liked the rest of the show, I'd highly recommend checking out the manga.

#64 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Gurren Lagann... it kicks ass... that is all.

Alright I will talk about another anime I saw when I myself was a wee child. I remember it had megaman robots in it and that it was on Toonami back then... they all had a weird red suit on them and they had golden buttons as decorations but I completely forgot what the name of it was... dammit!

Also has anyone seen the new Tales of Vesparia movie yet? I was wondering how it was since I am a fan of the game.

Oh, and for a philosophical question that may never be answered... what exactly is a Smurf? Are they blue mushrooms? I know not anime related but I thought I should ask here.

#65 Posted by Snipper138 (338 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA: I've been reading the manga as well. That's why I was so mad.

#66 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I've flushed most of the MAL club picture wall so some of our newer members can upload some stuff as well. Feel free to upload some pictures you like, but keep it in moderation and keep it safe for work!

@No0b0rAmA: Not that I liked a lot of the show, but from what little I read of the manga it definitely seems like an improvement.

Mostly due to not having to listen to Niiya's voice.

#67 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@Snipper138: Oh man, it's SO GOOD. This manga does have a bit of comedy in it being horror/mystery, was the ending comedic/romance in the spirit of the manga or like typical harem anime bullshit.

#68 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I need more action anime. I was watching Accel World, but it's way too corny for my tastes.

#69 Posted by EXTomar (4491 posts) -

It wouldn't be the first time that a Manga story didn't work out in Anime.

#70 Edited by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@BraveToaster: I was completely put off from that because of the main character.

For a recommendation, definitely Claymore.

#71 Posted by DillonWerner (1522 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

I need more action anime. I was watching Accel World, but it's way too corny for my tastes.

Well there is always Dragon Ball Z, or Inuyasha.

But I recommend Full Metal Alchemist and D. Gray Man. Both have enough action paired with beautiful stories.

#72 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@BraveToaster: If you like kind of grim and dumb action, you should check out Black Lagoon.

#73 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA: I've watched Claymore.

@DillonWerner: Inuyasha and Dragon Ball Z are boring. I've watched Full Metal Alchemist and I think D. Gray Man is boring.

@Cloudenvy: My sister gives me that same recommendation and I have no idea why I haven't watched it yet. By the way, I don't mind character development and good story, but I have a hard time finding that in action anime.

#74 Posted by Jesna (72 posts) -

@Jay444111: I think the anime with the red suits was probably Cyborg 009.

#75 Posted by Aegon (5393 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

I've flushed most of the MAL club picture wall so some of our newer members can upload some stuff as well. Feel free to upload some pictures you like, but keep it in moderation and keep it safe for work!

@No0b0rAmA: Not that I liked a lot of the show, but from what little I read of the manga it definitely seems like an improvement.

Mostly due to not having to listen to Niiya's voice.

Is there only a limited amount of pics you can have in a club gallery?

#76 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@BraveToaster: The first season of Black Lagoon mostly favors small arcs with character development in them rather than a big overarching narrative. Now get on it!

EDIT: @H2Oyea: 25 pictures seems to be the limit.

#77 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

@BraveToaster: I was completely put off from that because of the main character.

For a recommendation, definitely Claymore.

I just pretend the MC is Cartman and the show gets a lot better

#78 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@Bocam: Cartman is a charming young boy, but I would drop kick the MC from Accel World.

#79 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Alright I joined the club. I spent far too much time going through most of the TV series on that site to list the ones I had watched. Still not done but I'll do more later.

As for anime. Watched the 11th episode of Acchi Kocchi yesterday and started watching Inu x Boku SS. I've only watched the first episode but I am quite interested in watching more. I shall go do that now.

#80 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

@Bocam: Cartman is a charming young boy, but I would drop kick the MC from Accel World.

Now you're just making me want to live in a world where Cartman is voiced by Yuki Kaji.

#81 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -
@Cloudenvy He could probably do the voice.
#82 Posted by Turambar (6673 posts) -

Holy shit the final episode of the Live Action adaptation of Moyashimon is fucking insane.  It's called Tales of Agriculture but it ends with rocket punches, bombs dropped from planes, giant robots, and fist fights between two armies over a castle.  How the fucking shit.

#83 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Turambar: You're doing an EXTREMELY good job of selling me on this.

@SuperWristBands: Acchi Kocchi is probably the show I will miss the most when this season is done. : (

#84 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

The thing that destroys teh immersion with Accel world for me is when they suddenly make up new rules just to get out of situations. Like being able able to move in the real world while accelarated to prevent them from getting murdered by a car. And just now in the last episode the MC gets electrocuted again and everyone in the world conveniently forgot to tell him that he can negate it by sticking a limb in the dirt. Something so convenient has to be absolute 101 base knowledge especially considering its the main weakness of his element!

So either the MC that thus far has won almost all his fights is the biggest noob in the entire accelworld deliberately not getting informed on the most basic of instructions by his friends. Or alot more likely the Story writer has no idea what to do with the story and is constantly creating and changing rules as the situation requires.

This strikes me as amazingly bad/lazy story writing, just imagine if batman's belt held a infinite amount of gadgets so the creators could just write themselves out of any situation instead of a set of predefined tools that leaves a sense of suspense

#85 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@SuperWristBands: Acchi Kocchi is probably the show I will miss the most when this season is done. : (

It's the only show I am watching this season but I will miss it as well.

#86 Posted by Turambar (6673 posts) -
@Cloudenvy said:

Only downside is I am very, very pro childhood friend when it comes to shipping romantic relationships in shows and I definitely did not get what I want.
#87 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Only downside is I am very, very pro childhood friend when it comes to shipping romantic relationships in shows and I definitely did not get what I want.

You and me both, but I'm almost used to it at this point. I could probably count all the romance shows I know where the childhood friend actually gets the guy instead of "Miss new boobs in town/alien/exchange student" on one hand.

#88 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Holy shit the final episode of the Live Action adaptation of Moyashimon is fucking insane. It's called Tales of Agriculture but it ends with rocket punches, bombs dropped from planes, giant robots, and fist fights between two armies over a castle. How the fucking shit.

Oh what, I have yet to watch the live action adaptation. Is it worth it?!

#89 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

Can anyone give me a recomendation for Hyouka? I currently have no idea what type of series this is but i totally dig the art design. Ive grown pretty jaded with watching anime over the years and try to stay away from cliches and generic storyline and

2 series i have enjoyed this season were the continuation of fate/zero and kore wa zombie desu ka.

#90 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@DonChipotle: Ookiku Furikabutte is the best baseball anime of all time.

*gets ready to fight*

I agree with this statement, although Cross Game is a fantastic baseball series as well.

#91 Posted by Turambar (6673 posts) -
@Rudeboy217 said:

@Turambar said:

Holy shit the final episode of the Live Action adaptation of Moyashimon is fucking insane. It's called Tales of Agriculture but it ends with rocket punches, bombs dropped from planes, giant robots, and fist fights between two armies over a castle. How the fucking shit.

Oh what, I have yet to watch the live action adaptation. Is it worth it?!

All 11 episodes are up on either Funimation's youtube channel or Hulu.  The acting is...not that great actually, but it is a very, entertaining watch because it is CRAZY hilarious.

@Cloudenvy said:

@Turambar said:

@Cloudenvy said:

You and me both, but I'm almost used to it at this point. I could probably count all the romance shows I know where the childhood friend actually gets the guy instead of "Miss new boobs in town/alien/exchange student" on one hand.

Well, I don't quite have as much exposure since romance isn't really a genre that I pay attention to.  Honey and Clover was the first show that I watched within that genre and it's left very high standards that few other shows can match.  But when it comes out of no where like it does in Moyashimon, fuck yeah I'm entering full shipping mode.
#92 Edited by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

Moyashimon sounds like a silly show I'd be totally into (from reading the synopsis). I love anything silly/ridiculous. I've already watched one this year called Thermae Romae. Anybody know where I can legally stream it? Or where I can dl the episodes?

I also can't believe Lupin III hasn't been mentioned yet. Guess it's rare to find any Lupin fans these days. *sigh*

Other than that, Tsuritama, and Kids on the Slope are some of my top shows of 2012 so far. Hope the final episodes for both hold up.

#93 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

Okay, so who is watching what for the Summer season? I know that I am stoked on the new Moyashimon series.

#94 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@Rudeboy217: Joshiraku sounds like Lucky Star but it's by the guy who made Zetsubou sensei? Sign me the fuck up!

#95 Posted by Turambar (6673 posts) -
@Rudeboy217: Moyashimon is all that I care about on that list.  No Gainax, no mecha, no fun at all.
#96 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4277 posts) -

@Rudeboy217: Only series I'm legitimately pumped for is Horizon 2. I loved the first season even as pointlessly convoluted as it was. I'll see what my favorite anime blogs have to say about the rest of the shows, but as of right now, all I have is that one pick.

#97 Posted by Bocam (3670 posts) -

@Turambar: Muv Luv is mecha

#98 Posted by Sergio (2044 posts) -

@Cloudenvy : You're both wrong. Cross Game is the best baseball anime.

#99 Posted by Daroki (709 posts) -

@ManU_Fan10ne said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@ManU_Fan10ne said:

@Knave said:

Funny how only the Anime thread got swiped.

conspiracy theory time!

Let's not or we will actually get locked!

Anime-talk: Really excited about tomorrow, both Tsuritama and Kids on the Slope ending!

Okay, no conspiracy theories!!

I didn't follow up with kids on the slope, how is it?

Kids on the Slope is fantastic. A bit uneven at times, but completely fantastic.

#100 Posted by Sergio (2044 posts) -

@Questionable: Just watched the last episode. Completely agree.