This topic is locked from further discussion.

#501 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

@turambar said:

@believer258 said:

So I'm watching this Kill la Kill thing. I know nothing about it. It had better be as good as you guys are saying it is.

There is absurdity in events, characters, and presentation on the level of past Gainax shows. It shares the art style of Gurren Lagann. Nobuyuki Hiyama voices a character. It's pretty great currently as some dumb fun, but we'll have to wait and see if it transcends that like TTGL did.

The art style reminds me more of Panty and stockings and more like a western big budget cartoon. Personally I really hate the artstyle.

#502 Posted by believer258 (12809 posts) -

@darji said:

@turambar said:

@believer258 said:

So I'm watching this Kill la Kill thing. I know nothing about it. It had better be as good as you guys are saying it is.

There is absurdity in events, characters, and presentation on the level of past Gainax shows. It shares the art style of Gurren Lagann. Nobuyuki Hiyama voices a character. It's pretty great currently as some dumb fun, but we'll have to wait and see if it transcends that like TTGL did.

The art style reminds me more of Panty and stockings and more like a western big budget cartoon. Personally I really hate the artstyle.

Panty and Stocking's art style takes a lot from Powerpuff Girls and, if I'm not mistaken, this has some of those same animators working on it.

Also there is nothing Western about this. This is as Japanese as you can fucking get.

#503 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5148 posts) -

@metalsnakezero: So what is Coppelion, exactly? Is there any kind of sense of what kind of show it is from the first episode? The description of it really doesn't tell anything about it. Is it action, suspense, drama?

• Kill la Kill: This show is nuts in the best possible ways.
  • Strike the Blood: Good set up for a first episode.
  • Infinite Stratos 2: The first episode wasn't bad, but it made me remember how annoying the clueless protagonist trope is. I'll probably end up dropping this.

I've tried finishing the first episode of Infinite Stratos 2. Not only the clueless protagonist trope made me stop after like 10 minutes but right out of the gate it reminded me how harem-y it is. Character after character stating how badly they want to jump on his dick and without exception, everyone wants to do that for some reason (is it because he beat them in mecha fights?) That's harem shows in a nutshell I guess so I shouldn't complaining about it. I thought I still could suffer through shows like IS. Looks like I just can't do it anymore.

#504 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

@believer258: I felt so with Panty and stockings art style too. I can not describe why I think so.

Anyway: Just watched Log Horizon. Another "we are trapped in an MMO" Anime. First Episode was pretty good so I guess I will watch more of it^^

#505 Edited by metalsnakezero (2580 posts) -

I'll throw this in to show what I like about Coppelion.

Beside funny moments like that, we also got some nice voice acting from the likes of Hanazawa Kana, Tomatsu Haruka, Akesaka Satomi.

#506 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

Time for some sport impressions:

Hajime no Ippo Rising: Great start with a bit of back story and a nice fight for the hype. Opening and ending is great as well. I am excited

Kuroko no Basuke S2. Man what a great start. Not much of or better no basketball but a lot of back story and building up for the next episode and whole tournament. Also probably the best opening of this season^^

Loading Video...
#507 Edited by PenguinDust (12792 posts) -

@darji: Wow, thank's for the sports anime recommendations. I am very familiar with Cross Game and considering one of the best animes I've seen, regardless of genre. Touch and Cross Game are very similar on a few key points, but CG takes half the time to get there as Touch which makes it easier to watch. I haven't gotten around to Major yet, but I know about it. Baseball is my favorite sport so I was drawn to those sports animes first. I liked Ookiku Furikabutte (Big Windup) and Taishou Yakyuu Musume (Taishou Baseball Girls). Princess 9 wasn't any good; too soap opera-y. I was planning on checking out One Outs next.

As far as soccer (football), my knowledge is limited to the Inazuma Eleven franchise and a few random episodes of Captain Tsubasa. This is where your advice will really come to play. Great stuff, I hope.

#508 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

@penguindust said:

@darji: Wow, thank's for the sports anime recommendations. I am very familiar with Cross Game and considering one of the best animes I've seen, regardless of genre. Touch and Cross Game are very similar on a few key points, but CG takes half the time to get there as Touch which makes it easier to watch. I haven't gotten around to Major yet, but I know about it. Baseball is my favorite sport so I was drawn to those sports animes first. I liked Ookiku Furikabutte (Big Windup) and Taishou Yakyuu Musume (Taishou Baseball Girls). Princess 9 wasn't any good; too soap opera-y. I was planning on checking out One Outs next.

As far as soccer (football), my knowledge is limited to the Inazuma Eleven franchise and a few random episodes of Captain Tsubasa. This is where your advice will really come to play. Great stuff, I hope.

Make sure to watch Major it is really the best baseball anime. It is more shounen than romance but as far as baseball goes it is the best by far. I liked Cross game and touch for the romance but Major for the baseball^^

For the Soccer I consider these the best soccer Animes. Tsubasa is way to long to recommend and it feels more like DBZ in terms of tension. Some episodes only show like 3 minutes of a game which is getting sometimes really frustrated. It is really great to watch these Animes for the first time I think you are in for some really great sport Animes.

2 more very unique sport Animes if I may. They sound strange but they are really really good and if you believe it or not intense.

One is Hikaru no Go a Anime about a boy learning Go a board game like chess but much more complicated. The story is interesting and the matches are very intense if you can believe that^^

The other one is Chihayafuru another rather strange set up. It is about a girl learning a very traditional card game about memorize Japanese poems. But again the matches are very intense and the story really motivating. I have never thought that an Anime about Japanese poems can be so interesting to watch.

Also don't forget about Kuroko no basuke if you even slightly interested in Basketball. I think it is even better than Slam Dunk^^

#509 Posted by Animasta (14820 posts) -
Loading Video...

this one clip made me really excited about watching pokemon: origin but the dub is a month away apparently :(

#510 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

Guess its time for the last sports anime I will probably check out. I am not really interested in the cycling one but maybe I will check it out^^

Anyway: Ace of Diamond: Great shounen baseball action. Very good animations, good introduction good opening and ending and nice cliffhanger to keep you in suspense.Overall great first episode^^

This season so far i pretty pretty good^^

#511 Edited by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

Oh, so this is the actual art style and not some promotional art or whatever. Looks jarring and unnatural, to say the least.

#512 Posted by believer258 (12809 posts) -

Oh, so this is the actual art style and not some promotional art or whatever. Looks jarring and unnatural, to say the least.

I'm no animation expert but it just looks like the lines around everything are bolder than normal. It makes the characters really stand out from the background. I've only seen the few screenshots posted on the thread, though, and nothing from the actual show.

#513 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

@believer258:

That's an actual thing, and I've never really liked it for the reason you pointed out (it makes the characters pop out from the background in an unnatural way).

#514 Posted by metalsnakezero (2580 posts) -

@believer258: @video_game_king:

Well they are in a chernobyl like setting so giving it some odd designs, the out lines of the characters and the washout colors, make for a nuclear feel in some degree. Anyway it much more than art style and many people are criticizing it too much on that (As well as the girls wearing school outfits in a nuclear wasteland).

#515 Posted by golguin (4526 posts) -

This week's Monogatari was pretty amazing. After getting a verbal tear down again Nadeko finally cracks and tells everyone off in the most amazing way possible. It lasts several minutes. One of the best moments of the series.

#516 Posted by PenguinDust (12792 posts) -

@darji said:

2 more very unique sport Animes if I may. They sound strange but they are really really good and if you believe it or not intense.

One is Hikaru no Go a Anime about a boy learning Go a board game like chess but much more complicated. The story is interesting and the matches are very intense if you can believe that^^

The other one is Chihayafuru another rather strange set up. It is about a girl learning a very traditional card game about memorize Japanese poems. But again the matches are very intense and the story really motivating. I have never thought that an Anime about Japanese poems can be so interesting to watch.

Also don't forget about Kuroko no basuke if you even slightly interested in Basketball. I think it is even better than Slam Dunk^^

Ah, your list reminds me of all the shows I still want to see. And, now you've added more! Ha-ha, oy vey. I wish I had more time in my life. Anyway, I saw the first season of Kuroko no Basuke before tackling Slam Dunk. The latter is a fresher in my mind, however so I am going to need that refresher in episode 1, season 2. If memory serves me, I believe SD has more humor, or at least, obvious jokes than KnB. Comedies are my preferred genre so I am partial to the funny. Having said that KnB got me back into sports anime after taking a break, and it is still among this seasons most anticipated alongside Magi.

Talking about Hikaru no Go reminded me to both Saki and Akagi. I have practically no idea how to play mahjong, but I'm still interested in the idea of competitive board gaming. The latter is by the guy who created Kaiji which is one the most intense animes I've ever seen. Come to think of it, I'm surprised there hasn't been a show about video game tournaments. Personally, I'd love to see one centered around Monopoly. That game can make enemies fast.

Yesterday, God as my witness, I nearly started watching Chihayafuru. I watched the first minute or so of episode 1 but it looked like a reverse harem and I wasn't particularly in the mood for one just at that moment. I have nothing against the show-type, in fact Tenshi na Konamaiki is a favorite of mine. I wound starting Servant x Service because I wanted something similar to Working! It is, and I am pleased so far. I'll take a look at Chihayafuru after I finish SxS.

#517 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!

Or Idol becomes "lewd" prowrestler

Hold of shame XD

And yeah you will see the front view if you watch this anime. Otherwise meh.

#518 Posted by gokaired (581 posts) -

@darji said:

Hold of shame XD

How does that hold even work?! /8(

#519 Edited by Rehtayne (131 posts) -

So the first episode of Little Busters! ~Refrain~ wasn't really surprising, except maybe the approach they're taking with the Kurugaya route. Like the first season, some parts were done pretty well, and others came off as being a bit awkward. Of course, being the optimist I am, I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

It was also great watching the latest Monogatari right afterwards too. The two shows definitely took care of my character snapping and door abuse needs for a while.

#520 Posted by GnaTSoL (841 posts) -

SAO on Toonami has reached that point in the anime where everything goes to the shitter. Here comes the baby....

Hey question to all HAjime no ippo fans out there, In which season should I start getting into the series. Obviously some would say the very first season, but not sure I'm up to watching 50 plus episodes and more just to get up to speed. IS there a certain season where it would be easiest for new viewers to pop in and will I lose too much important stuff by skipping some of the first few seasons?

#521 Posted by GnaTSoL (841 posts) -

@darji said:

Hold of shame XD

Is this anime an ecchi anime or just includes fan service like above? :O

#522 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5148 posts) -

@gnatsol said:

@darji said:

Hold of shame XD

Is this anime an ecchi anime or just includes fan service like above? :O

#523 Posted by Darji (5412 posts) -

@gokaired said:

@darji said:

Hold of shame XD

How does that hold even work?! /8(

Basically she spreads her legs and people shot photos. A true shame hold indeed^^

#524 Posted by metalsnakezero (2580 posts) -

@gnatsol said:

SAO on Toonami has reached that point in the anime where everything goes to the shitter. Here comes the baby....

The only thing I care about in the dubs of SAO is Cassandra Lee voicing Suguha (Leefa).

#525 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

@darji said:

Technically, it means "I Want To Become the Strongest in the World!". *THE MORE YOU KNOW*

#526 Posted by Darji (5412 posts) -
#527 Edited by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

@darji:

You mean "One is not supposed to translate titles", as I have just translated a title and can therefore claim that I do, from time to time, translate titles.

#528 Posted by DocHaus (1638 posts) -

@gnatsol: A cyberspace baby? How does that even work?

Some first impressions:

• Kill la Kill: Pretty much what I expected, which is crazy-ass Trigger animation and action. Looking forward to more.
  • Hero blah blah Item Shop: There's a scene where not-Captain Picard shows up in a carriage with "NCC-1701" stamped on the door. However, all he does flip some girl's skirt like a pervert and then buy a "magic" lightbulb as a flimsy excuse. This is pretty much an allegory for the whole show.
  • Wanna be the Strongest in the World!: Somehow makes the Ikkitousen series look like a masterpiece in comparison, and I didn't think that was possible. Might be worth using to troll the Wrestling Thread if you want.
  • Strike the Blood: Might be interesting but I was only half paying attention to this episode. Still waiting for Mufasa the Lion King to show up.
  • Beyond the Boundary: Kind of a less-pretentious -monogatari so far, not sure if that's a good thing. Still, looking forward to the next episode.

Still need to watch Coppellion.

#529 Edited by SuperWristBands (2281 posts) -

From the images posted Coppellion looks quite pretty. Unfortunately I do not think Crunchyroll is going to stream it so I gotta find a not shit sub group now.

Dang it.

#530 Posted by metalsnakezero (2580 posts) -
#531 Edited by SuperWristBands (2281 posts) -
#532 Edited by RecSpec (4612 posts) -

@gnatsol said:

Hey question to all HAjime no ippo fans out there, In which season should I start getting into the series. Obviously some would say the very first season, but not sure I'm up to watching 50 plus episodes and more just to get up to speed. IS there a certain season where it would be easiest for new viewers to pop in and will I lose too much important stuff by skipping some of the first few seasons?

It's hard to make an argument for anything other than the beginning, but obviously a 100 episode commitment is a bit tough so I'll give it a shot. I'd say if you wanted to watch some older episodes, you could start at the last fight of the original series and watch the second series (New Challenger). That's about 40 episodes, and covers most of the main characters pretty well. Ippo's only match in New Challenger relies heavily on you watching the whole first series, and doesn't do that character justice if you're just starting off. Since he is one of the two main characters (other being Takamura) that's why I added the last fight of the first show. Edit: I forgot how quickly they covered ground in the first series. For the entire last fight, you can start at episode 69 and get the majority of it filled in. So that's 8 episodes of the first series, 26 in the second.

You might be able to enjoy just going into Rising blind. It starts with a bit of backstory for Ippo, then jumps straight into one of his matches. Even though he's the main character, the series spends a lot of time focusing on the other characters in the gym as well. The only minor issue I have with that is that because of how it jumps right in, it skips the pre-match stuff which I would argue is almost as important as the match itself. If you want to jump right in though, I would strongly recommend watching the last episode of New Challenger (26).

Sorry if this is confusing. As I said, I would recommend starting from the beginning to get the most out of it. But you can still jump in and enjoy it.

#533 Posted by metalsnakezero (2580 posts) -
#534 Edited by masterpaperlink (1917 posts) -

Yozakura Quartet, Kyousogiga and kill la kill all have extremely creative animation, i like this season, lets hope samurai flamenco is good too.

#535 Edited by Zomgfruitbunnies (998 posts) -

Watching Kill la Kill is like watching Gurren Lagann all over again. Except this time there's Koshimizu Ami, which makes it a billion times better. There's just something about Koshimizu Ami's voice that I find super attractive when she does the bad girl thing. Only way to make it even better is to add Sawakshiro Miyuki to the mix. Actually, don't do that because I'll just die. I'm totally rambling now. Anyways, it's great to hear all of the VAs just cut loose and have fun with their roles.

#536 Posted by PenguinDust (12792 posts) -

I wound up watching a lot of karutavideos on YouTube. Anyone ever do something like that? See something in an anime, then look for real versions to watch?

#537 Posted by SuperWristBands (2281 posts) -

So I have no idea what to watch and I've been picking shows at random. I watched Golden Time, Outbreak Company and I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job.

Golden Time is pretty good. Some interesting characters make me wanna see more. Who isn't entertained by a far too overly attached girl and the boy she makes miserable? I just don't know.

My expectations for the other two based on their summaries ended up being completely off.

Outbreak Company is a show about a man who is Last Starfighter'd into a fantasy world after he aces a high level otaku test used as a secret recruitment method to establish good will with a newly discovered alternate world by sending anime, manga and other otaku things with this messenger they get from the test. It sounds kind of dumb, and it is, but it's also kind of fun and has some cute moments filled in with references that I mostly don't understand. It's surprisingly light on fan service too which is a nice change of pace for a show about otaku. If you can appreciate or laugh with an otaku's sensibilities then you might just like this one.

The other, with the long title is about a fantasy world where the demon king is defeated as the main character becomes a full fledged hero. Of course with nobody to fight he isn't needed anymore and is forced to become a retail worker as (I assume) he has little else he can do with his hero-ing skills. Sounds kind of cool and just a little bit dour BUT THEN BOOBS, ALL THE BOOBS, ALL THE TIME, AND HIJINX AND BOOBY HIJINX! Mixed with some "eh" comedy the show kind of falls flat for me. A distracting level of fan service and an otherwise interesting idea that doesn't do anything with it's premise (in the first episode, of course) makes me recommend you stay away from this one.

So, yeah, that's all that I've seen other than Kill La Kill. Still looking for more that I might enjoy. Of course Crunchyroll doesn't have Yozakura Quartet or Coppelion. Why are you dropping the ball on me Crunchyroll?!

#538 Posted by RetroVirus (1540 posts) -

Alright, so, the first episode of Kill la Kill was great. Gurren Lagann is probably my favorite anime of all time, and this totally matched the same over-the-top tone that I loved so much. Since that, I watched Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, also directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi, and I really enjoyed it. It's basically lewd Japanese Powerpuff girls, and there's a lot of great references to old 80's and 90's cartoons like Transformers, Ren and Stimpy, and there's even a scene where all the characters are animated like South Park. It really just won me over with how crazy and entertaining it was, plot be damned. It also has one of the best soundtracks, and if you haven't, you should check it out.

Fly Away basically sounds like another track that Vinny would pull off of Audio Network to play before a live show, and I cannot get it out of my head. It's just fantastic.

Loading Video...

#539 Posted by GnaTSoL (841 posts) -

Does Yozakura Quartet have anything to do with the last two seasons?

#540 Edited by Zomgfruitbunnies (998 posts) -

Man, if I were to become an anime character right now, the number one thing I'd stay the fuck away from is playing MMOs. Why are, like, all anime MMO companies evil motherfuckers trying to trap their players in the games?

Log Horizon is this season's entry for that genre, and the first episode doesn't really indicate any deviations from the standard formula. Feels more like The Tower of Duarga than the more recent Sword Art Online. Can't tell what it's going for from the first episode. Will keep watching for a while longer.

#541 Posted by Mezmero (2350 posts) -

Over the weekend I decided to dive head first into the new season of sports. Anime sports that is. This, is A-sports. Hajime No Ippo: Rising had a fantastic premiere. It started with the true origin story which was genuinely touching. The fighting portions were great as usual and they left it on one hell of a cliffhanger. Checked out Diaya No Ace and was not really feeling it. We have enough Sun Wukong parables in pop culture to last a lifetime and that's a poor path for this protagonist to take right out of the gate. I might not be so down on it if past baseball shows didn't have such diverse and interesting main characters. None of the humor really landed for me either. Also jumped into Kuroko No Basket without having seen the first season. That first episode was a bit too laid back for my tastes. Not a fan of that anime hair either.

Finally I watched Gundam Build Fighters of all things. I can't decide if that show is really stupid or just incredible. Maybe both. On one hand it lets fans see dream matches between mobile suits from different continuities without resorting to something silly like SD Gundam designs. On the other hand the character designs are horrible, the plot is lame and cliche, and the the premise itself is super exploitative. Are they rearing up for some kind of Skylanders style product line if it doesn't exist already? I will say I couldn't help but chuckle at the cameo from Ramba Ral but I don't see many redeeming qualities about this show long term. Other than that it's Teen Titans Go and Bobs Burgers that I watch for hearty laughter. They never fail to deliver.

#542 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

Oh man another sports anime this season: This time it is Yowamushi Pedal

This time it is cycling: The first picture I have seen made me think it was something like free but I guess this was totally wrong. It is very shounen and the first episode was interesting enough so I guess I will watch more of it since this is only the third Anime I have seen about cycling^^

@mezmero You really should watch season 1 of Kukoro first. It is the best animated and intense basketball you can find^^

#543 Posted by spraynardtatum (4038 posts) -

Just now getting into anime because of Attack on Titan. That show is unbelievable. I watched like 18 episodes over one weekend.

#544 Posted by believer258 (12809 posts) -

Where has our Envier of Clouds gone? I remember seeing him post a lot in the old anime thread but I haven't seen him on this one in a while.

#545 Edited by golguin (4526 posts) -

Just finished watching the 2nd episode of Kyoukai No Kanata and I really enjoy it. The action and animation was top notch in the 2nd episode. There is of course a lot of moe in the way of K-On. I guess that might put people off.

#546 Posted by metalsnakezero (2580 posts) -

Episode 2 of Coppelion was pretty good. While a bit melodramatic at the beginning, it lead in to the girls reflecting on their existence, having been genetically engineered and train for this purpose of going in to the fallout. I seen many people saying that the girls shouldn't be emotional since they are genetically engineered and trained but they are still human regardless of their creation.

#547 Posted by SilentPredator (154 posts) -

So "Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai!" is super dumb in a way that I really enjoyed. The ecchi I could do without. The premise is just the right amount of absurd, but that isn't what won me over. This is going to sound really weird, but the fact that in the MC's training montage they took the time to show her practicing how to take a bump completely won me over. It shows a level of attention to detail that really took me by surprise. Even though it was only like 5 seconds out of the show, they really didn't need to put that in there. I'm not sure why, but I found that super endearing so I'll stick with it.

@zomgfruitbunnies: Yes! Love Ami Koshimizu.

#548 Posted by SuperWristBands (2281 posts) -

I really wish Kill la Kill didn't have that sidekick girl. She seems to be the majority of the straight up comedy in that show and it just doesn't work for me.

#549 Posted by Animasta (14820 posts) -

Samurai Flamenco has a few mini trailers up on their site and they seem pretty good

#550 Edited by Darji (5412 posts) -

Samurai Flamenco: Well this was certainly interesting will definitely watch more of it. I really like the promise of this show. Feels a bit like a Jdrama^^

Loading Video...