This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1351 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -
#1352 Edited by Zomgfruitbunnies (861 posts) -

@aegon said:

@zomgfruitbunnies: Who are the more popular or more "quality" Japanese VAs? Never really looked into that too deeply.

Neither have I, actually. My preferences are purely my own and not based on anything external.

If a VA is getting work on a consistent basis (not only for anime, but also for games, foreign language dubbing, radio shows, events, etc.,), she/he probably has a stable and decently sized fanbase. Fan mail is often used as an indication of popularity, as well. Noto Mamiko, Kamiya Hiroshi, Nakata Jouji, and Sakamoto Maaya are just a few who immediately comes to mind.

I feel @bocam might be able to provide a better answer to your question.

@zomgfruitbunnies: Yeah, the Hanazawa layer was really thick in the winter season. She has a great voice and I love to hear her but there's not too much variety in terms of delivery.

The problem is compounded by the fact that anime roles typically involve typecasting and Japanese VAs are often character actors. Hanazawa has some range (Anna in Wake Up, Girls!), but not everyone can be as flexible as Fukuyama Jun, I suppose.

#1353 Posted by Sergio (2195 posts) -

Over the years I've gone from being okay with it to despising it. In things like hentai it absolutely makes sense because of the "hentai logic" but it breaks when you try to apply the same logic to normal relationships.

Eh, I've known multiple people who have liked the same person before, usually at that high school age, so I don't think it breaks any logic since these are high schoolers. There are plenty of other anime that truly defy logic, like any based on a real sport that tries to add some kind of magic to it.

#1354 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4741 posts) -

Holy shit snacks. Ladies and gents, I think we found a winner: Fuuun Ishin Dai Shogun. This shit is on a whole 'nother level of terribad. Granted, it's certainly not the worst thing I've ever seen...but damn.

#1355 Posted by masterpaperlink (1869 posts) -

Knights of sidonia could've been so much more, it has a unique setting but i cant see past awkward plastic dolls in google sketchup (also, 3d models animated on threes looks like lag). Then you compare with a show like captain earth and its the complete opposite problem.

Also, ping pong is gooooood, best new show of the season.

#1356 Edited by rubberluffy (473 posts) -

New song is pretty good, but the visuals are hype as fuck. Video quality not super great, though.

#1357 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -
#1358 Edited by Bocam (3809 posts) -

I'm pretty sure the first production meeting for Mekakucity Actors went something like this:

Yes, Jin, you can write the entire script of the anime. You have no experience writing a screenplay for a TV show and only know how to write good songs? That's fine, we're sure you'll do great.

What could possibly go wrong?

#1359 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Attack on Titan's coming to Toonami? Perhaps now I can finally be bothered to watch it.

#1360 Posted by Sergio (2195 posts) -

I wasn't expecting much since I'm not usually into anime with mechs, but Knights of Sidonia might have won me over with its OP.

#1361 Edited by Bocam (3809 posts) -
#1362 Edited by Killroycantkill (1421 posts) -

@rubberluffy: God I really hope that they continue with Jojo after part 3. All the parts after that are equally as good if not better. I would love to see how they would animated Diavolos stand from Part 5.

#1363 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@bocam:

I just don't have Netflix.

#1364 Posted by SteamRickroller (310 posts) -

Everybody's talking about the new Spring shows and I'm just sitting here watching FLCL. ._.

#1365 Posted by golguin (4009 posts) -

So I guess JoJo is the only thing that's happening this season? Is Fairy Tale worth getting into?

#1366 Posted by Generic_username (634 posts) -

Everybody's talking about the new Spring shows and I'm just sitting here watching FLCL. ._.

It's okay, I just starting watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, so I'm in the backlog with you.

@golguin said:

Is Fairy Tale worth getting into?

It's at least above-average. I enjoy it.

#1367 Posted by Wired_Abyss (38 posts) -

Of the anime coming out this season, only JoJo and Break Blade really interests me so far.

#1368 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

@golguin said:

So I guess JoJo is the only thing that's happening this season? Is Fairy Tale worth getting into?

There is also Mushishi Zoku Shou. So far it is like the old one, which is good news because we (I) need more of this type of anime. The other thing I saw so far is Haikyuu!!. The most intense volleyball I have ever seen. It's not magic just exaggerated presentation of regular actions.

#1369 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (861 posts) -

So far, nothing's really grabbing me this season.

The only meaningful standouts for me are Ping Pong and Mushi-shi.

I'll still watch some other stuff on the side, but this season is pretty sparse in terms of variety compared to the previous one.

#1370 Edited by GTCknight (704 posts) -

So far the only two shows that I'm really liking right now are Jojo and Knights of Sidonia.

I'll admit I'm new to Jojo. I only watched parts 1 and 2 a week before the start of Stardust Crusaders. Right now Joesph is my favorite Jojo.

EDIT: I finished both parts in two days.

I'm actually really like Sidonia (ITS THE FIRST ONE OF NIHEI Tsutomu WORKS TO GET AN ANIME!!). The CGI might throw some folks off, but from what I've seen I'm digging it. Its got the two most important things for me in it, physics and attention to detail. The pacing of the people felt oddly right to me, but that might be because I view others as being very slow (movement wise). It also seems to fit the look of the manga too, and from what I've heard its intentional.

Regardless, only time will if my views will change. Oh, and if you really want to up the speed of Sidonia I've heard that something (I don't have a full grasp of it yet, since I just learned about it myself) called SVP might be able to help you.

#1371 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4741 posts) -

Mushishi is probably the only thing I'll watch with any sort of excitement this season. I really enjoyed season one and this just seems like more of the same which is perfectly fine with me. The lovey-dovey fanboy in me would love to see them explore the relationship between Ginko and Tanyuu a lot more (one episode wasn't enough goddammit!), but the realist in me sees that that's pretty much a pipe dream. At the very least, I just hope she gets another episode with her as the focus or something.

Mahouka and Sidonia both seemed interesting enough to keep watching, the latter more so, but I just opted to read both of the manga instead so I probably won't be watching the actual shows anymore.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou has this weird little charm to it so I might stick with it for a few more episodes, but their excessive use of bloom and Powerpoint backgrounds is driving me fucking insane.

I've been curious to see what's all the hullabaloo about this Jojo all the kids are talkin about so I might try to get caught up with that I guess. I won't.

Other than that, yeah, nothing else really grabs me this season.

Oh yeah, before I forget, just read the latest chapter of Nisekoi and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk. God. Fucking. Dammit. How is this even possible? Why do I still read this shit? Fuck me.

#1372 Edited by rubberluffy (473 posts) -

Netero da boss

#1373 Posted by golguin (4009 posts) -

I have now watched the first several episodes of JoJo and now I finally understand...DIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1374 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

One Week Friends till episode 2 - I was on the verge of tears. Damn it, right in the kokoro or in the feels, if you will. Really timid and sweet.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou till episode 3 - Romcom with quirky characters and a tsukkomi MC. There's nothing outstanding about it but at the same time it's not terrible either. Eh...

Mekakucity Actors episode 1 - The dialogue was fine. SHAFT quality animations. I will definitely watch more of it.

Knights of Sidonia episode 1 - It would be really reductive to just describe it as Attack on Titan + Battlestar Galactica but it definitely has similarities to both of those. Really liking the world they painted so far. Talking bears, a third gender (basically the Asari), photosynthetic humans (clones?) and so on. The CG is a little bit weird and it will take some to get used to it but not a deal breaker.

I will check out more shows but I think I already found the better ones.

#1375 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

And what anime is this, again? (Vocaloid something. That's as far as I can get.)

#1376 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -
#1377 Edited by rubberluffy (473 posts) -

The Stardust Crusaders ending has been revealed by the power of the Tarot!

#1378 Edited by OneManX (1693 posts) -

I am so glad this series got money... LOOK AT THAT HERO POSE!!!

LOOK AT HOW MANLY THAT SHIT IS!

GET SO HYPE FOR JOJO!

*poses*

The Stardust Crusaders ending has been revealed by the power of the Tarot!

#1379 Edited by BigJeffrey (5145 posts) -
#1380 Posted by super2j (1749 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: it is ridiculous how prevalent incest is in anime. It takes a good story/action for me to have to tolerate it. I mean, generally it never adds anything, aside from being awkward and a deterrent. And it just seems like something that is on a "anime checklist".

#1381 Posted by Kelor (5 posts) -

Haikyuu!! is being done by the same studio that's been doing Kuroko's Basketball, and they've handled that really well so far so I'm hopeful for Haikyuu.

If you're into sports series, Baby Steps turns out to be an excellent series. The first two episodes got me interested enough I read through the manga last weekend and is legitimately great.

#1382 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (861 posts) -

@super2j said:

@bigjeffrey: it is ridiculous how prevalent incest is in anime. It takes a good story/action for me to have to tolerate it. I mean, generally it never adds anything, aside from being awkward and a deterrent. And it just seems like something that is on a "anime checklist".

It really isn't if you look at the numbers. There's usually one or two shows a season at most that has it. The niche is growing somewhat, but still a niche nonetheless. The theme is almost never central to the story in most cases; it's kinda just there because... well, just because, and I suppose that's what makes the usage pretty dumb most of the time. But, hey, taboo is sort of moe to some people, right?

#1383 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

@super2j said:

It really isn't if you look at the numbers. There's usually one or two shows a season at most that has it. The niche is growing somewhat, but still a niche nonetheless. The theme is almost never central to the story in most cases; it's kinda just there because... well, just because, and I suppose that's what makes the usage pretty dumb most of the time. But, hey, taboo is sort of moe to some people, right?

Yeah, I don't think incest is as prevalent as some say it is. It's present in anime, no question about it, but it's still a minor thing in terms of the whole scope of anime. Why is it there? Well, I think because it is taboo and that's why "it works" in fiction. You could say "it's not cool that it's presented in a positive light", and I would agree, but that's what makes it a fantasy.

#1384 Edited by rubberluffy (473 posts) -

Hunter x Hunter 126 -

I've lost count of how many "best episodes" this show has had but hot holy damn this is the strongest contender for the title. Madhouse putting in some real goddamn effort.

#1385 Posted by Sergio (2195 posts) -

I finished marathoning Kemono no Souja Erin. I think I need to watch something more lighthearted next after that experience. I don't know if I could handle another season if they ever decide to adapt the last two novels.

#1386 Posted by BigJeffrey (5145 posts) -

I saw some Anime

Unbreakable Machine-Doll (Complete) - Totally okay, if there is ever a second season i'd totally watch it.

Gosick (Complete) - Was very interesting, liked the 1924 setting.

Black Bullet 01-03 - Interesting premise little girls and all, i guess i'll keep watching.

#1387 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

Black Bullet, M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane, Gokukoku no Brynhildr, Blade & Soul, Selector Infected WIXOSS, Hitsugi no Chaika - Couldn't care less

Mahouka episode 2 - Just... no. I can't do this.

Soul Eater Not! - Apt title. Most of the shounen was changed to moe and there is a bunch of camoes and aesthetics from the original which also reminds you: this is not the Soul Eater you're looking for. But, looking at it on its own, it's a show about cute girls doing cute things, which I don't dislike.

Fairy Tail - More Fairy Tail with worse art style.

Puchimas!!: Petit Petit iDOLM@STER - You are gone but not forgotten, @Cloudenvy. May your soul rest in peace. And I know you're still alive, @TobbRobb, so I'm gonna mention you too, cause shit, we might be the only ones who like iDOLM@STER to an unreasonable degree.

#1388 Edited by TruthTellah (9427 posts) -

@alexandersheen: Might I ask where you are watching Knights of Sidonia? Here in North America, I can't find any English simulcasts. Are sub groups the only option for English speakers at the moment?

Separate from that, I will reiterate the praise others have given for the new season of Mushishi. Even just 3 episodes in, and it seems to have hit on every note that made me love the original series. It is not to be missed.

#1389 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

@truthtellah: Let's just say I watch it through nefarious ways. If you know what I mean.

This is what the internet told me:

Earlier today, Netflix announced that they will stream the anime adaptation of Tsutomu Nihei’s Knights of Sidonia. The series, which will run in summer 2014, will be made available in all Netflix territories in both dubbed and subtitled formats. Episodes will be added to the service “immediately following” their Japanese airings.

#1390 Posted by TruthTellah (9427 posts) -

@alexandersheen: heh. Well, Netflix is apparently holding off until its run is over and it can include both subtitles and a dub this Summer. So, it's not really a "simulcast".

If you don't mind sharing, maybe you could PM me with details of where you get to enjoy this fine program. :)

#1391 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

So, I know this is probably a shared opinion, but it honestly blows my mind how good adventure time is. If simply for writing and story telling purposes. Really, its the best damn cartoon on TV right now. Hell, I'd argue its one of the best shows on TV. I actually legitametly teared up a few times in the series and it can get scarily deep.

#1392 Posted by golguin (4009 posts) -

Black Bullet, M3: Sono Kuroki Hagane, Gokukoku no Brynhildr, Blade & Soul, Selector Infected WIXOSS, Hitsugi no Chaika - Couldn't care less

Mahouka episode 2 - Just... no. I can't do this.

Soul Eater Not! - Apt title. Most of the shounen was changed to moe and there is a bunch of camoes and aesthetics from the original which also reminds you: this is not the Soul Eater you're looking for. But, looking at it on its own, it's a show about cute girls doing cute things, which I don't dislike.

Fairy Tail - More Fairy Tail with worse art style.

Puchimas!!: Petit Petit iDOLM@STER - You are gone but not forgotten, @Cloudenvy. May your soul rest in peace. And I know you're still alive, @TobbRobb, so I'm gonna mention you too, cause shit, we might be the only ones who like iDOLM@STER to an unreasonable degree.

Hold the phone. Soul Eater Not! got an anime? How did I miss the news? I think I heard the news a while back and forgot. I was keeping up the manga, but then it went on hiatus. Seems like it's back again since the Soul Eater manga wrapped up.

Soul Eater Not! is definitely more geared slice of life moe stuff, but I'm fine with that. You'll still see a bit of action, but that wont be the focus.

#1393 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2525 posts) -
@aegon said:

@zomgfruitbunnies: Who are the more popular or more "quality" Japanese VAs? Never really looked into that too deeply.

Despite preferring Japanese voice acting, I don't follow any seiyuu very closely. However, I did come across this survey that was done back in 2010: http://animeraku.com/2010/03/top-10-best-known-seiyuu-in-japan/

@alexandersheen said:

@golguin said:

There is also Mushishi Zoku Shou. So far it is like the old one, which is good news because we (I) need more of this type of anime. The other thing I saw so far is Haikyuu!!. The most intense volleyball I have ever seen. It's not magic just exaggerated presentation of regular actions.

Holy fuck, that looks awesome! I just may have to get into this!

#1394 Posted by banegeist (23 posts) -
#1395 Posted by phoenixgeist (13 posts) -

ANY FELLOW ONE PIECE LOVERS??

#1396 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (861 posts) -

@aegon said:

Despite preferring Japanese voice acting, I don't follow any seiyuu very closely.

This is likely true for the vast majority of anime watchers in the west, even if they really dig the Japanese dubs and voice actors. Which is pretty unfortunate, because Japanese VAs do a lot of awesome stuff outside of voicing roles in anime including but not limited to radio shows, live events, and occasionally concerts. They don't get to see Sawashiro Miyuki and Miyano Mamoru's signature "flirting" during live events, Kamiya Hiroshi and Ono Daisuke's hilariously dumb manzai routines, or Koshimizu Ami's complete and utter indifference toward Fukuyama Jun's attempts at painfully bad puns, just to name a few. My personal favourite will forever be Taketatsu Ayana and Hanazawa Kana's Oreimo Radio series which features an episode where the two go traveling together and record a session from their hotel room while getting progressively more hammered as time goes on until Taketatsu becomes so inebriated and comedy ensues.

Of course, this is all Japanese content, and only a very limited amount gets translated.

#1397 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -

ANY FELLOW ONE PIECE LOVERS??

Right here fellow duder! It's only my favorite anime. I'm currently rapping up the fishman island arc.

#1398 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

@zomgfruitbunnies: Could you post some links of the translated stuff, please? Cause I would love to watch it but I am too lazy to actually search for it myself. Oh, and if you find some Sugita Tomokazu related stuff that would be appreciated too.

#1399 Edited by Zomgfruitbunnies (861 posts) -

@zomgfruitbunnies: Could you post some links of the translated stuff, please? Cause I would love to watch it but I am too lazy to actually search for it myself. Oh, and if you find some Sugita Tomokazu related stuff that would be appreciated too.

I would love to, but every single western video streaming site is blocked in China and I can't really do anything about that (also presently at work, lol). It's been a while since I've watched any translated stuff, but I believe there might still some of it scattered around on Youtube and Dailymotion. Niconico has a wealth of seiyuu radio shows (untranslated, of course) and it's where I watch most of them. Youtube also has untranslated snippets, sometimes full like the Durarara panel, of events and radio if you do a Japanese/Chinese language search for them. English Youtube has been pretty active in removing that stuff in the past few years, so the odds of finding lots English translated content there isn't all that great. I've not looked at download options at all, so maybe there's a community out there dedicated to that, I don't really know.

On the topic of Sugita Tomokazu, I distinctly remember a segment on Youtube (an Inu x Boku SS panel, I think) where he participates in the "Guess-What's-in-the-Box" game against Hanazawa Kana. You absolutely do not need any understanding of the Japanese language to appreciate what is happening on the screen, so go head and check that out (hope you find it!).

#1400 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

@zomgfruitbunnies: Well, that's a shame. Thanks anyway. Also, I found it. Thanks for that too.