This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1551 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1480 posts) -

I just binge watched all of Rick and Morty and damn that show is great, most i laughed during a tv show in a long time. Certainly the best thing Adult Swim has ever put out. Might have to get caught up with Adventure Time and Regular Show as well.

As for anime i want to get out of my general comfort zone of Shounen-ish shows and try something different, I would appreciate some good Slice of Life Comedies or Dramas if you have some to suggest.

#1552 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4797 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter: In no particular order:

• Mushishi
  • Daily Lives of Highschool Boys
  • NIchijou
  • Anohana
  • Haibane Renmei
  • Michiko e Hatchin
  • Uchoten Kazoku
  • Aria
  • Usagi Drop
  • Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
  • BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
  • Kare Kano
  • Lucky Star
  • Clannad
  • Nodame Cantabile
  • Welcome to the N.H.K.
  • Minami-ke
  • GJ-bu
  • Bake/Nise/Neko- and all the other freakin -monogatari's (those count right?)
  • From Up on Poppy Hill

I know I'm forgetting quite a few other good shows that I'm going to beat myself up over later, but these were some of the first to come to mind.

#1553 Edited by GaspoweR (3475 posts) -

@golguin: hmmm...head tilt reminds me of

#1554 Edited by Aegon (5821 posts) -
#1555 Edited by GaspoweR (3475 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter: Okay I just mentioned it earlier but I'll say it again anyway. Silver Spoon is a slice of life-type show, you'll probably might like it. I know I did. :)

@aegon: I might have missed it if you mentioned it earlier but have you seen Nisekoi?

#1556 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1480 posts) -

@babychoochoo: @aegon: Yeah I've seen Welcome to the NHK and loved it, going though some similar things when i first watched it so it resonated pretty hard. It was one of the shows that made me want to branch out a bit more, the others being AnoHana (such a tearjerker) and Ouran High-school Host Club. And thanks for the list, some of those look very appealing. Also is the Bake/Nise/Neko the order i should watch those in?

#1557 Posted by Sergio (2243 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter: Not mentioned yet.

• Working!!
  • Toradora!
  • Lovely Complex
  • Maid-Sama!
  • Strawberry Marshmallow
  • Azumanga Daioh
  • Kyo no Go no Ni
  • Natsume Yuujinchou
  • Hanasaku Iroha
#1559 Edited by GaspoweR (3475 posts) -

@thebunnyhunter

And stuff for later:

Monogatari Series:

@thebunnyhunter: I strongly suggest watching it in the order it was released in by the way and not chronologically since narratively it kinda makes more sense that way (i.e. it takes away some of the mystery if you watched Neko Black before Bake for example). I'm not sure if somebody pointed this out already but another weird but kinda annoying thing to consider is that Bakemonogatari is actually 15 Episodes in total. 12 we're broadcasted normally and those are readily available in the streaming sites (e.g. Hulu, Daisuki, Crunchyroll) but the final three episodes were ONAs (original net animations) that we're broadcasted exclusively on their site. I think @alexandersheen can help out with this as well, but you can find the final three episodes in other not-so-legit streaming sites that host fansubs. I don't know where you can find them on legit sites.

#1560 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5088 posts) -

As a matter of fact, I actually can help with that. Just PM me if you want to know more.

#1562 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2536 posts) -

Has anybody else started to notice the ghost net effect in Haikyuu?
They fade out the net to show the player's faces, but to me it just looks weird, like they're a ghost passing through the net, or like they've got their head stuck or something.

I just started noticing it in Ep 6, and it became pretty distracting. :/

#1563 Posted by Sergio (2243 posts) -

@vigorousjammer: I'm not bothered by it. Anime has been doing that forever with eyeglass frames.

#1564 Edited by BigJeffrey (5170 posts) -

Also Second Season of Hitsugi_no_Chaika already announced, nice. More of my new Waifu in October

【特報・拡散希望】TVアニメ「棺姫のチャイカ」第2期10月放送決定!! 皆、応援、感謝! アニメ、まだまだ続く。皆、アニメ観る、とても大事!! お知らせまだ続く! 次の呟き、これも大事!! #棺姫のチャイカ

— 【公式】棺姫のチャイカ (@ChaikaTrabant) May 14, 2014

#1565 Posted by GaspoweR (3475 posts) -

@vigorousjammer: I need to see it in action. It does look weird in stills though.

#1566 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2536 posts) -

@gaspower: To be fair, I didn't notice it until this episode... but I went back and looked and they did it in earlier episodes too. It was a lot more subtle and unnoticeable there, though. It just really stood out to me in Ep 6 for whatever reason.

#1567 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Also Second Season of Hitsugi_no_Chaika already announced

【特報・拡散希望】TVアニメ「棺姫のチャイカ」第2期10月放送決定!! 皆、応援、感謝! アニメ、まだまだ続く。皆、アニメ観る、とても大事!! お知らせまだ続く! 次の呟き、これも大事!! #棺姫のチャイカ

— 【公式】棺姫のチャイカ (@ChaikaTrabant) May 14, 2014

As we can all very clearly read.

#1568 Posted by Hamst3r (4562 posts) -

What's with the apostrophe in these titles?

I'm guessing that it's either some sort of shorthand for two or sequel...but I haven't noticed any double apostrophes, like Gintama'', for a third installment. How about Dog Days''''' AKA Dog Days 6? Or do anime titles stop at one apostrophe?

#1569 Posted by GaspoweR (3475 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

I'm guessing that it's either some sort of shorthand for two or sequel...but I haven't noticed any double apostrophes, like Gintama'', for a third installment. How about Dog Days''''' AKA Dog Days 6? Or do anime titles stop at one apostrophe?

Hmm, now that you've mentioned it (oh look an apostrophe!) I actually want to know why as well!

#1570 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2536 posts) -

@gaspower: @hamst3r: Maybe it has to do with math?

I know in math, absolute complements can be written with an apostrophe after them. So, maybe because it's a sequel, it's like... a complement of the first show?

Just a guess.

#1571 Edited by GaspoweR (3475 posts) -

@gaspower: @hamst3r: Maybe it has to do with math?

I know in math, absolute complements can be written with an apostrophe after them. So, maybe because it's a sequel, it's like... a complement of the first show?

Just a guess.

Oh that's right, it makes a lot of sense. 0_o By virtue of having the apostrophe, it probably denotes thats the follow-up.

#1572 Edited by golguin (4040 posts) -

No Game No Life is just too good and smart with the ways the games are getting set up. This week was science week and science beat fantasy. I can't be the only person watching No Game No Life.

#1573 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5088 posts) -

@gaspower said:

@hamst3r said:

Hmm, now that you've mentioned it (oh look an apostrophe!) I actually want to know why as well!

@vigorousjammer's theory sounds about right. It basically means it's more of the same stuff.

#1574 Edited by GaspoweR (3475 posts) -

@golguin: I have it on queue but I want to rack up the episodes first. :P

#1576 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2536 posts) -

@golguin: I've been watching it every week. Episode 6 was fantastic! That whole battle was pretty incredible, and I thought the part with the "erogenous zones" was pretty funny, too. XD

#1577 Posted by SteamRickroller (310 posts) -

@golguin I watched the first episode a week ago. Twas good. But I'm watching Death Note and Kill La Kill at the moment, and I get the feeling trying to watch 3 anime at once would kill me. Still, I'll probably watch it and Mekaku City Actors later on in the year, because that 1st episode was good enough to leave me wanting more.

#1579 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS THE ORIGINAL SAILOR MOON SERIES IS GETTING A DOMESTIC UNCUT RELEASE.

#1580 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4797 posts) -

So, apparently, there's no new episode of Mushishi this week...

My reaction.

#1582 Posted by Corevi (4787 posts) -

@hailinel: Watching the first episode of Sailor Moon right before firing up Transistor for the first time? Sure why not.

#1584 Posted by flasaltine (1702 posts) -

Ok so I signed up for Funimation Elite so I could watch some stuff on my Roku. I am going to cancel it after I watch what is good on there. So far I have seen Attack on Titan, Baccano, Black Lagoon, Steins Gate, and Claymore. I am looking at watching Darker than Black, Mushi-shi, and Shigurui. Is there anything else good on there?

#1585 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

So did anybody else find that "I can't pass scout training" plot in Attack on Titan contrived and implausible?

#1586 Edited by Mirado (1050 posts) -

@video_game_king: There's a fair amount in AoT that's contrived and implausible. They just try to bury it under titan stabbing and hope you won't notice/won't care.

Oh, and flashbacks. Whole pile of those, too.

#1587 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4797 posts) -

@flacracker: I don't have Elite so I'm browsing through the Funimation website right now...

• Afro Samurai (just season 1. Pretend season 2 doesn't exist.)
  • Birdy the Mighty: Decode
  • Eden of the East
  • Ergo Proxy (not an "eventful" series by any means outside of a few episodes here and there. A lot of talking about conspiracies and whatnot, but, ultimately, it's all worth it in my opinion)
  • FLCL
  • FMA Brotherhood
  • Gungrave
  • Haibane Renmei (it's a goddamn shame so many people haven't seen this)
  • Hellsing Ultimate
  • Michiko & Hatchin (a very unique series in just about every way, especially the setting and music, and another one that's sadly often forgotten)
  • BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad
  • Psycho Pass
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Serial Experiements Lain
  • Spice and Wolf
  • Tatami Galaxy
  • Trigun

I'd recommend those above based on what I assume your tastes are based on what you listed so far. Here are some other pretty good shows though just in case

• A Certain Magical Index (maybe Railgun too, but I didn't particularly like the lead character of that series)
  • Air Gear (I almost say watch it regardless of if the premise sounds good or not because it gets so fucking far from it's "modest" beginning, but, at the same time, I gotta admit it's not great. It's good, dumb, fun in a lot of ways and I liked it a lot, but let's just say I would not blame anyone for giving up on it.)
  • Full Metal Panic
  • Gun X Sword
  • Panty and Stocking
  • Rideback
#1588 Posted by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

@hailinel said:

HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS THE ORIGINAL SAILOR MOON SERIES IS GETTING A DOMESTIC UNCUT RELEASE.

Didn't they say they were also including the gender ambiguous Sailor Stars!

#1589 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

haha, absolutely uncut = they aren't cousins anymore!

it's no longer gay incest, it's just gay.

#1590 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@extomar said:

@hailinel said:

Didn't they say they were also including the gender ambiguous Sailor Stars!

Yep. Starting tomorrow (Monday, May 19th), the series begin streaming with two episodes premiering weekly. The stream will be the uncut subtitled edition. What does uncut mean? Well:

• All characters will go by their original names (So long, Serena).
  • The sexes and relationships of the characters will remain as they are in the original Japanese. (URANUS AND NEPTUNE ARE LESBIANS, NOT COUSINS.)
  • All episodes will be broadcast on the stream, including episodes that were completely cut from the original North American broadcasts in the '90s (ex: Episode 2). There are no content edits of any kind.

Basically, anything that DiC did to Sailor Moon back in the '90s no longer applies. The Blu-ray DVD releases, which begin this fall, will also include a brand new English dub with an entirely new cast. (A small snippet of the new English Usagi can be heard at the end of the trailer.)

#1591 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

So how many of the anime dub players will be there?

Who will Laura Bailey play!? (it's either Venus or Mars)

#1592 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@animasta said:

So how many of the anime dub players will be there?

Who will Laura Bailey play!? (it's either Venus or Mars)

Viz intends to announce the dub cast at Anime Expo in July.

#1593 Posted by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

If everyone was freaking out about the stuff in S, they'll love Stars. Didn't Mamoru give a promise/almost engagement ring to Usagi before bolting for New York but she ends up fawning over some girl (?) disguised as a guy in an boy band/idol group?

#1594 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@extomar said:

If everyone was freaking out about the stuff in S, they'll love Stars. Didn't Mamoru give a promise/almost engagement ring to Usagi before bolting for New York but she ends up fawning over some girl (?) disguised as a guy in an boy band/idol group?

It's been so long since I saw any of Stars back in the college anime club that I couldn't even begin to say. I'm just looking forward to being able to see the show in its entirety.

#1595 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@extomar said:

No no, they were boys that transformed into girls (even though they were straight up girls in the manga) and one of them had an attack called star gentle uturus.

good old star gentle uturus.

My favorite episode in stars was when they all fought in Usagi's small ass living room

#1596 Edited by SteamRickroller (310 posts) -

@hailinel said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS.

#1597 Edited by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

@animasta said:

@extomar said:

No no, they were boys that transformed into girls (even though they were straight up girls in the manga) and one of them had an attack called star gentle uturus.

good old star gentle uturus.

My favorite episode in stars was when they all fought in Usagi's small ass living room

Yeah, those attacks were...something. I remember the fansub had was ambiguous or poor on which way the disguise went. In either event Usagi lamented not having Mamoru around but seemed to jump fast on the "getting to know the guys who transferred to their school who are idol singers who maybe effeminate guys or girls but are really alien Sailor Senshi" train. And to this day I'm not sure what in the hell Chibi-chibi is/was.

I remember that episode as well! They riffed on how ridiculous large their costumes where with wings and ribbons and such. As they point out, how would they ever fit through normal doors and halls? :)

As goofy as Stars was it was way better than Supers.

#1599 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Watching uncut Sailor Moon episode 1 right now. Oh my god, this is a wonderful day.

#1600 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Watching uncut Sailor Moon episode 1 right now. Oh my god, this is a wonderful day.

Where? I feel like I should figure out what all this Sailor Moon talk is about. Also, do actual images from the new one exist anywhere, or is Sailor Moon Inc. tight-lipped about this sort of thing?