Anime Megathread III and Cartoon Megathread I!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Knights of Sidonia is now available on NETFLIX. If you have any intention on watching season two it will be mandatory to watch it there for now as they have the Director's cut of the last ep. This DC has three additional scenes the most important of them is an event that will have major ramifications for season two.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1904  Edited By bigjeffrey

Persona 4 Golden is 12 episodes long, the whole p4 story in 12 ep??

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1905  Edited By Zevvion

I came here to say that Dragonball Z is the best anime ever created.

Now I can leave in peace.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What?!? Why even bother? At all?

They'll give Persona 3 5 entire films, but persona 4 has gotten ass in terms of adaptations.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got done watching ep 12 on Netfilx. It weird's me out in a lot of ways. For one they get some stuff right (like the fact that it was an asteroid and calling the mechs Gardes not Guardians), but then they get things wrong (ene instead of placenta and Haggis instead of Higgs 'manga' or Hyggs 'anime'). I just don't know. Its not a really big thing, I'll get over it pretty fast (correct their mistakes in my head).

As for the DUB, it seriously lacked any emotion. Hearing Samari yell "FIRE" in English was sadness it was like she simply said fire in a nice and calm VO both. . . . wait a minute.

This spoiler is about ep 12.

Also, while they did get to the part where Kunato enters the sealed room they cut off right before entered it. Which means that will probably be one of the very first things that happens in season 2. I can't wait.

Don't read this unless you've read the manga.

Goodbye Kunato, it was nice getting to know you (again). However, it seems that its time for us to part ways (again) So, until the movie/game Kunato.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I saw Tokyo Ghoul at AX and the first episode looked pretty good.

I tried to watch the Sword Art Online II premiere, but that line got so big so fast that even being there an hour early was too late.

darkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@sergio said:

@darkpower said:

@sergio said:

So Mamoru is probably the dumbest character in Sailor Moon for not recognizing the Sailor Senshi's real identities, right?

It's funny, because a long time ago, I read a special Wizard magazine about Superman. The question was asked of why doesn't anyone realize that Clark Kent is Superman or is at least curious about it. The answer the creators gave was that because Superman doesn't wear a mask, no one in that universe really considers it a big deal of who he really is, or doesn't think to connect the dots. You could actually have said the same for Lois Lane for all those years before they went with that romance. You always saw someone trying to unmask Batman or Spiderman to see who they were, but not Superman for obvious reasons. The mask adds that mystique to the superhero in a way. It's probably the same with Mamoru. Since Sailor Moon isn't wearing a mask, he probably just doesn't consider asking the question.

You could probably say the same for Naru, as well. She was saved a few times by Moon (even when it's clearly not as many times as Mamoru has had run ins with her before learning the truth), and yet, she didn't really put two and two together, either.

Meanwhile Rei is guessing correctly that Mamoru is Tuxedo Mask. It's understandable that Usagi doesn't get it because he is wearing a mask. On the other hand, not only is her face visible, but she has the same hairstyle that he's always poking fun at.

It was a lucky guess by her since she had the crush on him early on, and she kind of wanted it to be him (and she was teasing Usagi in that sense since she couldn't stand him at first). As for Usagi being Sailor Moon, didn't Superman have the same hairstyle as Kent?

By the way, Crystal is now out on Hulu. I'm going to be watching later today to see what I think about it. From what I've heard, it's pretty good with a few minor caveats that I'm guessing people will gloss over if they aren't nitpicking. The first episode sticks to the manga pretty closely, as I've heard.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw SAO II. Kirito is gonna be a Jedi with a pink lightsaber.

Huehuehuehue.

Also, not enough Sawashiro Miyuki.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I demand Anime Editor Brad Shoemaker review each new episode of Sailor Moon Crystal.

Either him or Vinny, since he's the prettiest princess.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtcknight: I watched the dub version on Netflix since I had already watched the sub version. I thought they actually did a very good job on the dub. I did notice the word differences, but I didn't mind them.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it deals strictly in the extra (Golden) content. Instead being an additive to the already existing animation. I personally think that'd be the smart thing to do.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@zevvion said:

I came here to say that Dragonball Z is the best anime ever created.

Now I can leave in peace.

Best probably not, most influential maybe you have a case there.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw SAO II. Kirito is gonna be a Jedi with a pink lightsaber.

Huehuehuehue.

Also, not enough Sawashiro Miyuki.

I managed to get through the episode, but it looks like it and Sailor Moon may be causing problems on Crunchyroll's servers.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I guess I'm getting into anime for the first time since I was a kid watching Toonami. Currently watching SAO, but I'm looking to expand my horizons beyond shounen genre so I'll be open for just about anything. I'll be looking forward to keeping up with this thread from now on.

A few questions: Is Crunchyroll pretty much the best library of anime to be found legally? Also is there a definitive site for cataloguing and searching for recommendations and/or reviews of anime (like AnimeVice but not dead)?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1918  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@negativecero: pretty much. Viz, Funimation have there own separate streaming services but alot of their stuff you can agregate to hulu plus fot the same price. Only difference is even though you're paying you still get ads with Hulu Plus.

anidb is a good site to check on anime show info. For cataloging I know 10 years ago animelist was the thing people were using I recently cancelled my crunchyroll account and was never really an active participate in their community but they might have some cataloging stuff there, worth a try.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@negativecero: I would say Crunchyroll and Hulu.

Viz usually gets a couple of series, that end up on Hulu. Funimation has a large catalog, but you can find a lot of it on Hulu too. The Anime Network has some shows in their catalog that others don't have, and they often will get a show either midway through or after it has aired on Crunchyroll. They also end up on Hulu. The only reason to get either of their individual services is to avoid commercials which still show up on Hulu Plus, but if you don't mind commercials, Hulu Plus is a great alternative to the individual services.

Crunchyroll partnered with Anime-Planet for recommendations. You can also check out MyAnimeList.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1920  Edited By EXTomar

So yeah, Sailor Moon Crystal happened. With modern technology they should be able to sustain the quality. It is great to see it matches a lot of the original episode 1 especially with the jewelry store, Mamoru complaining about Usagi's grades and her hair style. o/~ Memories.... o/~

As for Crunchyroll, it is a good source of "modern stuff" and especially the bigger stuff is simulcast but it suffers from the same issue Netflix has where things will appear and disappear arbitrarily.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yuushibu 1 ~ damn right out the gate im hit with some crazy boob physics. Other than that i like the way it looks.

Sword_Art_Online_II 1 ~ okay 1st episode, some crazy jedi shit at the end

Mahouka_Koukou_no_Rettousei 14 ~ Finally some action, next episode. His identity found out by that one chick.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh shoot, I completely forgot today was supposed to be Sailor Moon day and the beginning of the new series. Guess I'll have to turn in my sailor warrior gun and badge...

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal was probably exactly what it needed to be. Animation quality's really fantastic. The new transformation sequence is super cool, IMO. The music of everything so far still isn't grabbing me.

But hey, Tuxedo Mask has never looked more handsome.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

@negativecero said:

Is there a definitive site for cataloguing and searching for recommendations and/or reviews of anime (like AnimeVice but not dead)?

MyAnimeList.com is basically the definitive site for cataloguing what you have watched, what you're currently watching, and seeing reviews & recommendations by other users. There's also a bunch of other recommendation sites that all use MAL's API (such as MALgraph, Animeadvice.me, anime-recommendations.com, Animerecs.com, and many more) so it's pretty good to have an account there because it can plug into a lot of other anime sites.
If you're looking for more detailed info, anidb.com is pretty great for seeing all sorts of information, but I also felt like the UI for the site is pretty difficult to get used to.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1925  Edited By thebunnyhunter

@negativecero: Myanimelist is probably the most definitive for recommendations at the moment but Hummingbird.me is way better for cataloging what you want to watch and updating your watched list. The site also looks way better then Mal and has great forums. Also is Anime Vice deader then usual these days?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the first episode of Barakamon. Too bad Crunchyroll doesn't have the US streaming rights. I haven't seen an official announcement from Funimation, so I don't know if anyone has picked it up yet - maybe during Anime Expo.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1927  Edited By EXTomar

@marokai said:

I think the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal was probably exactly what it needed to be. Animation quality's really fantastic. The new transformation sequence is super cool, IMO. The music of everything so far still isn't grabbing me.

Tuxedo Kamen/Tuxedo Mask "leaving jump" was held a little too long though as if to say "GAZE UPON ME!"

Another side thought: With the way the new art looks, Naru looks even more "adult" compared to Umino which makes him even more whimpy looking.

I kind of missed the "Next time on Sailor Moon" thing they had at the end of the episodes but that is from a bygone era. For today's shows they do the modern tease and close thing which is what we got with Ami running away in the rain.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I'll have to turn in my sailor warrior gun and badge...

Do they let you do a sailor transformation or whatever? I must know!

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: Nah yo, I didn't make it that far as a sailor warrior. I'd have more than a gun and badge if I did. Anyway, shouldn't you know as a Moon person?!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@equitasinvictus:

What? Just because I'm from the Moon means I have to like Sailor Moon automatically? Let it be known that I won't watch Sailor Moon Crystal until after I've finished Madoka, as jarring as that sounds.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#1931  Edited By vigorousjammer

@thebunnyhunter said:

@negativecero: Myanimelist is probably the most definitive for recommendations at the moment but Hummingbird.me is way better for cataloging what you want to watch and updating your watched list. The site also looks way better then Mal and has great forums. Also is Anime Vice deader then usual these days?

Hummingbird has an awesome UI, which makes it super easy to use. I'm also a big fan of their season browser. However, I'm not a fan of how it doesn't list "started" and "completed" dates like MAL does.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@equitasinvictus:

What? Just because I'm from the Moon means I have to like Sailor Moon automatically? Let it be known that I won't watch Sailor Moon Crystal until after I've finished Madoka, as jarring as that sounds.

Yes. Because I am from America I like cheeseburgers. That is due to both preference and necessity.

Also you should really finish Madoka.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also you should really finish Madoka.

Well, I just finished the episode where Kyubey reveals he's an alien that doesn't understand how science works, so I think I'm pretty close.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Barakamon off to a strong start it seems. Naru just might be the bestest mostest adorablest cutest character I've seen in a while.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

@marokai said:

Tuxedo Kamen/Tuxedo Mask "leaving jump" was held a little too long though as if to say "GAZE UPON ME!"

Another side thought: With the way the new art looks, Naru looks even more "adult" compared to Umino which makes him even more whimpy looking.

I kind of missed the "Next time on Sailor Moon" thing they had at the end of the episodes but that is from a bygone era. For today's shows they do the modern tease and close thing which is what we got with Ami running away in the rain.

I might be alone here, but I like the new OP more than the original one.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1936  Edited By bigjeffrey

Psycho-Pass 1-3 ~ Awesome quality, great music. Liking it

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Some what Anime related, but I've started reading One Piece about 2 weeks ago and it's great. Digging it a lot.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1938  Edited By Sergio

I watched the first five episodes of Yakitate!! Japan. Now I want to make some bread without relying on my bread machine.

darkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1939  Edited By darkpower

@marokai: I actually liked the music cues. It gave me a sort of Final Fantasy-like feel to me, for whatever reason, and when Moon heard Mask the first time and looked around for him in the store, the cue that played gave me a sense of some Metal Gear music. I enjoyed it myself, but I'm usually in the minority in things, so we'll see if I'm in the majority for once.

I didn't mind the CGI and art style, but it might take some time to get used to for some people who have issues about it. Nothing that can't be overlooked, especially when the CGI is used in a smart way. I'm waiting to see what they do with Beryl's avatar, though. She looks really bad ass in that intro, and I would love to see her in some action.

Oh, and the voice actor list for the English dubs have been announced for Viz. I don't know most of them, but Steph seems to be getting some positive reaction.

But Johnny Yong Bosch as Artemis? It's now official:

No Caption Provided

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1940  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Finally had a chance to see Wolf Children: Yuki and Ame. While it was pretty sweet film, that movie has got to be furries Citizen Kane.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But Johnny Yong Bosch as Artemis? It's now official:

No Caption Provided

He did a good job as Nagate on Knights of Sidonia.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1942  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Just watched the first episode of Aldnoah.Zero and i really like the universe they set up. If this show doesnt fuck up somehow, i think it can really be amazing. Also that ending, goodbye New Orleans

I guess ill go watch Sword Art Online 2, it cant possibly be worse than the second half of the first one.....can it?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

I liked the first episode of Barakamon. Too bad Crunchyroll doesn't have the US streaming rights. I haven't seen an official announcement from Funimation, so I don't know if anyone has picked it up yet - maybe during Anime Expo.

It looks like Funimation did get it, but still no streaming date announced yet.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Wait, that new Sailor Moon series started? What the hell am I doing here?!?!

(also someone tell me what Ghost in the Shell: Arise is so I can know if it's good GitS or pretentious GitS.)

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't be the only person who wants an anime dub where he voices every character. And they all have the same Bosch voice.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1946  Edited By EXTomar

Isn't this like having a video game voiced only by Nolan North?

For Sailor Moon, I keep wondering what the JJ Abrams twist will be. Beryl is Usagi's mom? The Moon Kingdom was actually a bunch of pricks and were righteously over thrown? Venus screaming KHAAAN!?

I forgot about Ghost In The Shell but that is in the "yawn" bucket.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

The new Space Dandy had me dying laughing. So glad to have it back. Hell of a job by the main cast too.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And then I got to the second ED of Yakitate!! Japan.

Loading Video...

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Loading Video...

I think it's officially time to start the Sword Art Online 2 HYPE TRAIN. We all know the 2nd half in elf land wasn't as good as the first part of the season, but everything seems to be back on track for the HYPE. How are people feeling about it?

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: It'll be fiiiine. And since it has Sawashiro Miyuki, it'll be extra fiiiiine. And before you ask, yes, this is my inner creeper/SAO fanboy talking.

But in all seriousness, it'll be fine. People who liked season one will probably like this, and people who didn't probably won't. Season one was... divisive enough that I'd imagine the decision to watching season two or not will be an easy one to make.

On the other hand, Sengoku Basara: Judge End is a little disappointing. If this is the best Telecom Animation can manage in terms of art and animation quality, the season isn't looking promising. The lack of T.M. Revolution is a definite bummer, but at least Ishikawa Chiaki makes a return. While it's hard to fault them for that hackneyed attempt at wrapping up a whole movie in the during of a thirty minute episode, those unaware of this will undoubtedly be confused and potentially turned off (but c'mon, if you're watching this, you've probably seen everything up until now). In short, the loss Production I.G. as its animation studio sucks ass.