Anime Megathread III and Cartoon Megathread I!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@hamst3r: Wouldn't believe how many internet-friends were trying to tell me "BUT THEY USED DIFFERENT ANIMATION IN THE ENDLESS EIGHT! YOU JUST DON'T GET IT MAAAAAN!" when I told them it sucked. I will give props to the studio for pulling off one of the biggest trolls in anime history though.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2352  Edited By golguin
No Caption Provided

Aldnoah Zero episode 7 is out and it proves that it's legit as hell thanks to this one character. People are starting to call him the new Lelouch.

Sword Art Online 2 continues to be good.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2353  Edited By BabyChooChoo

it's definitely got lot of style dat transformation sequence.

I'm on episode 8 and absolutely loving the series so far, but that particular bit is always the highlight for me. It's just too damn good.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2354  Edited By bigjeffrey

Mahouka 20 ~ Lot of set up for the bad dudes.

damn smooth ass mf Tatsuya.

oniisama count this episode: 0

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2355  Edited By gokaired
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2358  Edited By nasp

so code geass is one of my fave animes,and my friend said aldnoah zero was like it alot.he is usually spot on with his opinions on a anime,but i just wanted to ask the people here thats also watched it what there opinion is.im watching it anyway,but im waiting to watch it until the other shows stop.EDIT i freaking ment to put aldnoah zero in the post and got distracted.so its fixed now so people actually know what im asking lol.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2359  Edited By BabyChooChoo
Naru has to be my favorite character this season.
Naru has to be my favorite character this season.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Man Inaho is stone fucking cold, i just want them to be best buddies. A/Z is easily my most anticipated show of the week.

Aldnoah Zero Spoilers I really hope that finding the Martian battleship and Mech reduce this show into just who has the better mechs, i really love the tactical nature of the show so far.

@nasp I is really giving me a Code Geass first season vibe before they went all who has the most powerful mechs.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inaho went from being an unemotional pragmatist to straight up yandere psychopath. Not even kidding in the slightest, textbook example of psychopathy this week.

Then again, "all is fair in love and war" and this week's scenario involves healthy doses of both.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2362  Edited By Sergio
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2363  Edited By bigjeffrey

Nozaki-kun 7 ~ I seriously can't get enough of Chiyo's

expressions. lol at the sailor suit

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2364  Edited By bigjeffrey

Akame_ga_Kill! 1-7 ~ this is alright, enough to get me to power through up to current ep. Also no holding back on gore

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2365  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Soooo, I burned through Penguindrum. What a incredible goddamn show. It's definitely weird, but it's weird in this deceptively beautiful, intelligent, unique way. It's also one of the best looking shows I've seen in a long time both in terms of quality and style. I'm not sure if it's the result of a big budget or them just knowing where to cut corners, but, in terms of it's visuals, it's definitely one of those shows that's going to continue to stand out and age well for the foreseeable future. A solid 5/5 from me. Considering I just finished it and I need time to dwell on it, I don't know if I'd call it one of my all-time favorite shows just yet, but it definitely ranks pretty freakin high in my book.

I will say with complete conviction though that it does now have one of my favorite scenes of all times:

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2366  Edited By Sergio

@babychoochoo: Great series. They came out with some nice figures for it.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Made it through the 2 episodes of Ayakashi while rewatching Mononoke. I must say I'm not digging the first arc of Ayakashi. Hope the Mononoke arc in the show lives up to the greatness of the series, which is in my top 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So unfortunately and unsurprisingly the 2011 adaptation of Hunter X Hunter is ending. Really sad as I just recently binge watched and got all caught up with and absolutely can not get enough of it. Guess I'll just have to read the manga. Hopefully Togashi is done with his long ass hiatuses and keeps working on it.

Also on a completely unrelated note, Pendleton Ward recently confirmed Princess Bubblegum and Marceline from Adventure Time once dated and are evidently bisexual. That's pretty awesome.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2369  Edited By bigjeffrey
@babychoochoo said:

Soooo, I burned through Penguindrum. What a incredible goddamn show. It's definitely weird, but it's weird in this deceptively beautiful, intelligent, unique way. It's also one of the best looking shows I've seen in a long time both in terms of quality and style. I'm not sure if it's the result of a big budget or them just knowing where to cut corners, but, in terms of it's visuals, it's definitely one of those shows that's going to continue to stand out and age well for the foreseeable future. A solid 5/5 from me. Considering I just finished it and I need time to dwell on it, I don't know if I'd call it one of my all-time favorite shows just yet, but it definitely ranks pretty freakin high in my book.

I will say with complete conviction though that it does now have one of my favorite scenes of all times:

yup should be seen just for the visuals alone. I thought the plot was okay but that shit got like SUPERweird and left me confused by the end of it. I didnt but should of probably gone and looked up some long explanation, that would of probably made the plot understandable but what ever good show regardless. Yes, that scene is fantastic (probably my favorite one was the one w/ the maid)

dem colors

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2370  Edited By AlexanderSheen
I know that feeling.
I know that feeling.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen: I gave up on that after hitting 25. Settled with being a slender ossan.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2373  Edited By bigjeffrey

Hanamonogatari 1 ~ lot of talking (wouldnt be monogatari w/out ti), cant wait to see the rest.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Watched the first season of Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor. I always appreciate when a show defies my expectations. It was clear that Kaiji had to survive and still be in debt somehow by the end, by the mere existence of a second season, but I wasn't sure how. At so many points during the final gamble, I thought he would catch on to Hyodo's tricks, but he didn't until it was far too late. I was ready for him to bust out some Ace Attorney shit and spot the crease in the paper as Hyodo was holding it. But, he ended up not noticing it and having his fingers chopped off. Not to mention his ear and shit. I love when a series does that sort of thing, when it goes there. When the protagonist's Plot Armorisn't very effective, shit gets intense.

Also, watched two episodes of Nisekoi. It's cute so far. I'm also a sucker for pretty art and this has plenty of that. Exhibit A. Exhibit B.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

So I just got around to watching Kill la Kill since I found out it was made by the TTGL dude (arguably my second favorite anime of all time). Was super disappointed. It's so dumb! Not only the premise, but the characters and plot. TTGL had it's share of dumbness but it was also cool and sad. This is just dumb and even more dumb. Even the animation and fighting sequences weren't that great. Reminds me of that infamous crappy episode of TTGL (Ep 4, if I'm not mistaken) where the quality tanked.

2/5 would not watch again.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio: yo man, the manga's got your back http://i.imgur.com/RkQkmUp.jpg

Sakura's voice actor is amazing. It's so different than your normal heroine vo. I'm basically in love with just her voice. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Barakamon are god sends - just relaxing comedies with nothing too serious going on. They're great palette cleansers.

Barakamon does bring up some really interesting and thought-provoking points on art though, but I guess that makes it even better.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2377  Edited By Sergio

@sergio: yo man, the manga's got your back http://i.imgur.com/RkQkmUp.jpg

Sakura's voice actor is amazing. It's so different than your normal heroine vo. I'm basically in love with just her voice.

Yep. She's got this adorable voice that isn't too high pitched or saccharine that makes you feel like...

No Caption Provided

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

@babychoochoo: Great series. They came out with some nice figures for it.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Oh god. I definitely need to buy that first one. She seems like such a good character to be turned into a figure. Even when she's not in one of her over-the-top elaborate poses, her outfit is just so Fabulous Max!

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@gaspower said:

Has anybody here started watching Zankyo no Terror/Terror in Resonance? Its really good...really fucking good.

I just watched the six episodes that are out for this show because of this comment. Yes, it's very good. Right up my alley.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

random comment of the day:

I wish that an anime didn't have to be dark as shit in order to have little to no fanservice

mature does not have to equal dreary and depressing

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrailx: Plenty of anime out there with no fan service that aren't dark.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2382  Edited By azrailx

@sergio: i'd love some suggestions man, seriously

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2383  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@azrailx:

• Baccano
  • Uchoten Kazoku
  • Kyousougiga
  • Katanagatari
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Penguindrum
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Dennou Coil
  • MIchiko e Hatchin
  • Steins:Gate
  • Moribito
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@azrailx:

• Natsume's Book of Friends
  • Princess Jellyfish
  • Nichijou
  • Excel Saga
  • Humanity Has Declined
  • Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time

Perhaps.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2385  Edited By azrailx

Thanks for the suggestions guys, really good amount of shows I hadn't heard about before along with some I really need to watch, like Baccano (specially since i loved durruuraruaruauruauruauruura) and Ghost in the shell since they are always recommended.

and not to bite the hand that feeds me, especially since this show convinced my that anime can be fuckin great, but as far as stein gate and fanservice goes there is plenty. (shower scene, tuturrururruru girl, the shrine "maiden", tututuerueru girl etc.)

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lelcar: Ah awesome! Great to hear that you like it!

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrailx: I can vouch for Baccano. I enjoyed it!

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: Baccano isn't dark? Some of those characters are pretty fucked up... I mean, I enjoyed it a lot, but I thrive on darkness like most anime-watching jerks.

Worth watching for the theme song/opening, though, imo.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimipeppr: Sure, it has a lot of dark moments and whatnot, but overall, I think the series manages to maintain a very fun, frantic vibe. Claire/Felix and Ladd are arguably the two most fucked up characters in the show, but when all is said and done, they end up being surprsingly likeable.

@azrailx said:

and not to bite the hand that feeds me, especially since this show convinced my that anime can be fuckin great, but as far as stein gate and fanservice goes there is plenty. (shower scene, tuturrururruru girl, the shrine "maiden", tututuerueru girl etc.)

Yeah, that's true I guess. I just felt like relative to a lot of other anime out there, Steins:Gate is pretty light on the fanservice haha

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2391  Edited By Aegon

I just watched FLCL.

What in the world was that supposed to be?

"Do you guys find this difficult to understand?"

Yes! This is insane!
Yes! This is insane!
A little of what it feels like to watch FLCL (excepting human contact, of course).
A little of what it feels like to watch FLCL (excepting human contact, of course).
How is this not his reaction to everything that is happening?
How is this not his reaction to everything that is happening?

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2392  Edited By Sergio

@azrailx said:

@sergio: i'd love some suggestions man, seriously

Everyone pretty much mentioned most of the series I would have recommended (that you can legally stream).

@aegon said:

I just watched FLCL.

What in the world was that supposed to be?

I think I may be one of the few people who just didn't like FLCL.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona_4_The_Golden_Animation 7 ~ they really went all out on Adachi huh, lots of Adachi background info. Probably the best thing to come out of this adaptation.

Tokyo_Ghoul 8 ~ Awesome fight da mask finally gets some action. RIP crazy dude

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now, my weekly watches are:

Hunter X Hunter (after 148 I am going to attempt to traverse to an alternate dimension where it never ends)

Tokyo Ghoul

Zankyou no Terror

Akame ga kill

Aldnoah.Zero

Space Dandy S2

I tried to get into Tokyo ESP but its weird crossover elements and random aloofness threw it off for me.

Also, current season of Legend of Korra is the only one worth watching IMO.

Old shit I have been watching:

Finally tried out Gantz. A but gratuitous and slow for my tastes, but very interesting all the same.

Durarara! About 6 episodes in and something about the pacing really does not agree with me, I need to go back to this.

Persona 4 the animation - get bent.

Chrome shelled Regios - just finished it. Really enjoyable, shame there is no more.

Gilgamesh - this is fucking weird, and right up my alley. I need to watch more of it. About 5 episodes in. I love the character designs. Reminds me of technolyxze.

Old shit I

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2395  Edited By bigjeffrey
azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2396  Edited By azrailx

well since i got some good recommendations i figure id give mini review/thoughts of the ones i finish, so first up:

Katanagatari

No Caption Provided

This show man. Its probs cause im coming off the high of just watching it but this is one of the better animes I have seen in a long time. Both of the main characters are very interesting and develop throughout the whole plot. Speaking of the plot the story follows a very typical heroes adventure to collect some magical Macguffins but does a good job of knowing when to be surprising and when not to be surprising at the same time. If that makes any sense lol...

I'll use the GB rating system and give it a 5 out of 5. Its not a flawless show, being just a tad slow at times but I would reccemmend everyone gives it a shot.

spoiler sections for those that have finished the show:

The first half of that ending crushed me(Damn you Babychocho) even if I was half expected it since it was hinted throughout the story. Togame was a tragic character, unable to overcome her traumatic childhood. When every character in the show tells you a character is a devious prick, you should listen to them!

Also i just have to point out I loved the fight, or should I say the non fight, with the master swordsman!

bonus thoughts:

the background score was unique in a good way

and how did it take me so long to realize this was written by the same guy who wrote Bakemonogatari, i mean its right in the title and the show is also quite talky =p

Cheerio!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2397  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@azrailx: Hehehehehe, glad you liked it.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'll rewatch a bit of Aria this weekend. That series is mellow as fuck.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers