Anime Megathread III and Cartoon Megathread I!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Attack on Titan 62: Okay, AoT was starting to get really boring but this months chapter definitely delivered. I mean, Eren ate his father and gained his titan ability? Whhhhhaaaaaaat.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

@azrailx: You should. First watch all of Avatar because it is better and it will also help making Korra better. Also season 3 is the best so far. Season 1 and 2 are still worth watching but also need to be watched before 3 and 4. (I don't know how good 4 is yet as it is only 2 episodes in)

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@gaspower: Need more info, sequel or what? I'm going to be having some trouble giving any fucks if it's just a completely new thing. ༼つ ◕_◕༽つ Giff Kaneki or riot!

@redhotchilimist: I think we're both saying the exact same thing except for having different definitions of what entails a power-up. The properties of a power-up varies based on the context in which they function. Be it spirit power, transformations, strategies, or pure physical prowess, they're all just different sides of the same die. Bleach differs from a lot of present battle manga because it adheres so closely to the Dragonball archetype: no gimmicks, just a straight level up. As a result, once you've seen one, you've kinda sorta seen it all. Having said that, Kubo is clearly capable of writing good emotion into his battles. The Memories in the Rain OVA and its corresponding manga arc is probably my favourite segment from the whole Bleach story. So much pathos, so much feels. Bleach is weirdly almost always at its best when Ichigo gets his butt whopped.

Also, live-action Kite movie. I hope someone here would go see it and report back, because that thing can only go well. I mean, that original anime movie sure was something.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3104  Edited By hmoney001

Got a little emotional watching Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.

Some similar life experiences I guess. Studied music when I was younger and the fact my mother passed away recently.

The series is beautifully animated with colors. I've always loved animes about music and the journey it takes you on.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So nobody here is watching the BEST show this season?

No Caption Provided

YEAHHHHHHH WHOOOOOOOOOO MEGA DRIVE IS MY FAV

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

I finished watching Psycho-Pass earlier - it was really good, gonna start watching Season 2. I can't get the Psycho-Pass diction out of my head. Crime Coefficients. Latent Criminals. Hyper Oats.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Man for some reason I love how stupid the roaches look in Terraformars, those abs and the blank stares mixed with their brutality brings a smile to my stupid face. I do wish it was uncensored but it does give it some weird charm so i dont mind too much.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3108  Edited By GaspoweR

@zomgfruitbunnies: Apparently it is a continuation (speculation is that it jumps forward for a certain amount of time after the end of Tokyo Ghoul.) Also from the looks of the trailer for the Kite live action film, I don't think it'd be as fucked up as the original anime.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r: No one is as hyper as you though Hamst3r. Keep that hue from clouding.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower: I'm guessing the old crew will only be making some cameos here and there, then? I mean, the manga ended with a pretty big reveal regarding Uta and Itori (being members of Pierrot and that Itori is possibly Noro), and I expect that to play into this new series somehow.

What is even Kite without the fucked up bullshit? Unless this is a remake of sorts and not a direct adaptation.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I made a shitty deal you guys. My One Piece obsessed friend wanted me to watch it so I could talk about it with her, and in exchange she agreed to watch Naruto. She's digging Naruto, but I'm like 70 something episodes into One Piece and I'm so bored. When there's a plot to the show, I'm able to enjoy it, but for the most part, it seems like there's just a lot of meandering. I feel like I've been waiting for something to happen ever since Arlong Park. Does the plot ever kick in? Or is this just kinda what the show is? I asked another friend and he said I wouldn't learn to appreciate One Piece until like 200 episodes in, and that sounds horrifying.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so one of my friends recommended white album 2 because it was really good,so i watched the whole series in one sitting.now before i give my thoughts i wanna say im not really into romance anime in most cases.so my thoughts are that the show surprisingly is amazing,the characters are so amazing because they arent perfect and they make mistakes.the music imo is great as well and it fits the anime really well too.the animation would be the weakest part of the show,while good there not amazing.the plot is really good because this show by the end isnt like most romance shows and may surprise or shock you how the show concludes.so overall i loved this anime,and dont really have any bad things to say about it.so if you like romance shows or even if you dont(like me)i would recommend this show to pretty much everyone who likes anime.however if you dont like the feels in your shows i would completely ignore this recommendation,because as a person who doesnt get upset at anime or entertainment in general this show hit me pretty hard at some ponts.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3115  Edited By bigjeffrey

@nasp: Yeah i watched it a couple of months ago when i was binge watching whatever. I could def see getting upset at the show dat ending pretty fed (i think it got me too i forget) , pretty good story though.

I also watched the first one, that one was pretty terrible. ( i think i watched it after 2)

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasp: Yeah i watched it a couple of months ago when i was binge watching whatever. I could def see getting upset at the show dat ending pretty fed (i think it got me too i forget) , pretty good story though.

I also watched the first one, that one was pretty terrible. ( i think i watched it after 2)

yeah i was surprised how good it was,its actually one of my fave animes ever now.i heard the first one was horrible,which is probably why he didnt recommend it.im just wondering what made the first one so bad,but then the second one ends up being amazing.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3117  Edited By bigjeffrey

Madan_no_Ou_to_Vanadis 02 ~ Saved Twice, f that creepy fuck. Cool arrow return doe.

@nasp said:
@bigjeffrey said:

yeah i was surprised how good it was,its actually one of my fave animes ever now.i heard the first one was horrible,which is probably why he didnt recommend it.im just wondering what made the first one so bad,but then the second one ends up being amazing.

I mean it's not unwatchable (i watched all 24eps) and there is lots of drama as well. The thing that made it terrible was the MC and lots of dumb decisions that make you go uhhhhhh what a scumbag. You should totally watch it?????

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: Uh I haven't watched School Days but I'm familiar with the story beats and how it ends soooooo... Is White Album a less fucked up School Days? Yeah? 0_o

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3120  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Kokkuri-san - Hmmmm, I want to like this a lot more than I do, but Barakamon just aired last season and well...that's one tough act to follow especially when it comes to the whole adult-kid buddy slice of life thing. I guess the supernatural element could provide a few fun gags here and there, but I dunno...

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@bigjeffrey: Uh I haven't watched School Days but I'm familiar with the story beats and how it ends soooooo... Is White Album a less fucked up School Days? Yeah? 0_o

white album 2 is way less messed up,but its also way more sad because unlike school days this show is great and you care about the characters,so when the end happens it hits way harder than school days.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I'm getting way more into the American cartoons for some reason. Maybe because a bunch of anime this season is looking bad or just not up my alley.

Bob's Burgers had a rad season premiere. I swear it baffles me how these later seasons take the most humdrum of overused sitcom plots and puts enough of it's own flavor to make it hilarious somehow. They even pull in the most unexpected of celebrity cameo.

Regular Show is pretty good. I'm becoming concerned that these later seasons are kind of devolving into an endless romantic comedy. Not that I mind but now it feels more and more like there's a continuity to be considered at all times. I sort of miss the free wheeling style of the first seasons where you didn't have to care about why stuff was so weird. I feel the same way about Adventure Time though I have fallen a bit behind on that.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is still fantastic. The visual production alone is so striking but it also nails everything that makes these characters so great. Worth noting that there is an incredible wrestling homage in the latest episode. Plot wise nothing really happens but still a lot of fun nonetheless.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I just watched all of Fate/Zero and that is a fantastic anime. And you don't need to know the rest of the Fate series stuff to enjoy it.

I'm thinking Aldnoah Zero or Parasyte next.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zomgfruitbunnies: I liked the chapters that OVA seems to be based on, so I'll give it a look.

@hunter5024: What you've seen is what you get, mostly. Go from one island to the next, uncover some unfairness, have a flashback to someone's past, beat the bad guy and move on to the next island, maybe recruiting a new crew member. East Blue has a lot of islands in short order and the later arcs usually has some plot tying several islands together over a longer period of time, though. The plot builds, but it does so slowly over a long time and in the background of each island's story. Right now you're in Baroque Works, right? That arc has a specific focus on defeating one villain, but there are a lot of stops along the way. If you're not enjoying it so far, though, you should renegotiate that deal. At least if you don't even enjoy Drumm Island, which should be around this point unless there were more fillers than I recall. You've given it more than a fair shot.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3125  Edited By bigjeffrey

Ushinawareta_Mirai_wo_Motomete 02 ~ Hey let's not tell the authorities that we found this naked girl lying unconscious on the floor with no memory oh and let's enroll her in school without having any parental permission. They've clearly never seen The Terminator, she's probably from the future.

Everything looks pretty cheap, but i kinda like the look.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3126  Edited By GaspoweR

@nasp: Uh, well I think when I'm in the mood to not be too bummed out I'll get around to it! Hahaha! (its been on my queue for some time now.) Thanks, duder!

@bigjeffrey: Uhhh...nanomachines?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made a shitty deal you guys. My One Piece obsessed friend wanted me to watch it so I could talk about it with her, and in exchange she agreed to watch Naruto. She's digging Naruto, but I'm like 70 something episodes into One Piece and I'm so bored. When there's a plot to the show, I'm able to enjoy it, but for the most part, it seems like there's just a lot of meandering. I feel like I've been waiting for something to happen ever since Arlong Park. Does the plot ever kick in? Or is this just kinda what the show is? I asked another friend and he said I wouldn't learn to appreciate One Piece until like 200 episodes in, and that sounds horrifying.

That's a shitty deal for your friend. Having to watch Naruto while you get to experience One Piece.

In all seriousness, @redhotchilimist pretty much hit the nail on the head with how most of the arcs are structured. I also agree that you've given it a fair shot, however I must advise you keep pushing. You'll think I'm bonkers, but I think your other friend is right when they told you One Piece would probably click when you're 200+ episodes in. That's about when a lot more plot starts developing and all the characters "level up". (And the fights get a lot better too, obviously.)

The thing I love most about One Piece is just how detailed Oda makes the world. It's massive as hell, and he doesn't forget about any of the characters inhabiting it. Everyone that has a name, probably has a backstory that is explored to some extent. There's a lot of characters that seem useless and minor but then they'll come back in a huge way later in the series. Some might argue he goes overboard with the character development, but personally I think it makes the world seem more real.

I've tried getting my friend into One Piece but he pretty much had the same opinion you did and ended up quitting around episode 180. I wouldn't blame you if you quit now, but I honestly believe that if you can enjoy something as inconsistent and dumb as Naruto, you could potentially adore One Piece.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3128  Edited By GaspoweR

@ilikepopcans said:

@dannyhibiki said:

So nobody here is watching the BEST show this season?

No Caption Provided

YEAHHHHHHH WHOOOOOOOOOO MEGA DRIVE IS MY FAV

Okay...I'm glad I checked this show out. The bit where she was trying to connect to the internet via a 56K modem but decided to cut it off because they weren't in toll free hours made me chuckle!

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Madan_no_Ou_to_Vanadis 02 ~ Saved Twice, f that creepy fuck. Cool arrow return doe.

Does Madan no Ou to Vanadis scratch the same itch that Mahouka did? Cause, I'm getting similar vibes with the op protagonist. The setting is less cool clearly, and unlike Tatsuya who has seemingly no limit to his powers, this mc can only really reach Legolas levels of archery. But eh, I'm interested.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NOTHING CAN SCRATCH THAT Mahouka ITCH, Out Lordeth Tasuya Is Gone But Not Forgotten.

kinda sorta, but not really.

TheRookie727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All right you guys about watching psycho pass season one, which episodes should i watch the special 11 episodes or the 22 episodes.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3134  Edited By bigjeffrey

@therookie727 said:

All right you guys about watching psycho pass season one, which episodes should i watch the special 11 episodes or the 22 episodes.

11 ep one, has extra scenes not found in 22 ep version

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@therookie727 said:

11 ep one, has extra scenes not found in 22 ep version

Good to know. I was pondering which one was the better choice to jump into as well.

TheRookie727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@redhotchilimist: Yeah honestly I think maybe I'm being a little harsh on the series just because they're in a weak arc, and I was fresh off the first filler (also I've only been watching this show for a week, so I might have overdone it getting 80 episodes in). It just feels like its been forever since I got any new information about the main characters, and what's going on doesn't seem to have very much to do with them. Which is a pretty sharp contrast to the beginning of the series where you're meeting all these dudes and learning about them, and stuff like Arlong Park is directly related to one of the major characters. I think I just got to the first episode of Drum Island, if its snowy looking, so hopefully it gets more interesting.

@turtlebird95 I don't think it's necessarily that one's better than the other, more that each different show would appeal to different peoples sensibilities. I love plot and character driven stories, which is part of why I like Naruto. Not because its good all the time (it's not, even if you ignore the filler), but the plot always makes me want to see the next episode. When stories are about the world I often have the same complaints as with One Piece (I also found the Lord of The Rings books pretty meandering for example). But I am going to try and stick it out to the 200+ point, my friend specifically cited Enies Lobby as the arc where I'd start to understand, so if I don't appreciate that then I think I'll know whether One Piece is for me or not.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3138  Edited By Bocam

NOTHING CAN SCRATCH THAT Mahouka ITCH, Out Lordeth Tasuya Is Gone But Not Forgotten.

If they adapt it properly Grisaia no Kajitsu will.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: Sounds good duder. Enies Lobby is a great arc. Be sure to post back here with your thoughts!

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3140  Edited By super2j

@hunter5024 said:

Years ago, I asked where I should start watching One piece if I get the gist of the show and want to get to the good stuff. I was told to start somewhere around 220 (water 7 or ennis lobby.. hard to remember). After that I was super hooked and I could not stop watching it. Since then I learned that One piece has a slow pace almost always and each island takes a bit to get going but when it does, HOT DAMN! I honestly suggest skipping some episodes or start fast forwarding through whatever you feel is unnecessary. It's my opinion that One piece is a much better show than Naruto and bleach. Unlike Naruto, Bleach or Dragonball z (other Shonen); Luffy is not particularly "special", his team are very strong and important to the plot and it is well established that there are many many people stronger than them. The world is large in One piece. Also, I don't believe there any any fillers (as far as I am aware). Seriously, Naruto almost killed me with all the fillers with generic ninja villages. Try to get to Ennis Lobby.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3141  Edited By bigjeffrey

god i'm gonna have to watch all of Cross Ange aren't I, it's so bad that i feel I must watch, kinda like not being able to look away from accident while driving

@bocam said:

@bigjeffrey said:

If they adapt it properly Grisaia no Kajitsu will.

No Caption Provided

Yeah you're right, but if it's good i hope it is.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3142  Edited By bigjeffrey

Cross Ange 02

not as bad as the first one but still pretty terrible. Can we get a rpe counter started for main heroine, i mean holy shit. I found myself bursting out and laughing at the ending i mean am i a horrible person?

Gore Warning Below

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@bigjeffrey: Yeah, you're a horrible person. Jokes aside, I find the show to be a Exploitation film where it knows it silly with a dash of seriousness. However, it would fall completely apart if it tries anything too grand. Also this sunrise so I bet it will still be silly.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sora_no_Method 02 ~ i dont know what this show is, all i know is there is a giant saucer in the sky.

Grisaia_no_Kajitsu 02 ~ think it's really well done so far, also like the look of it black bars are a okay.

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm usually okay with fanservice, but man, using sexual assault as a delivery method is pretty sleazy, and sleazy is the word I'd use to describe what we've seen from Crossange so far. Two weeks straight, too! The preview narration continues to be the best part of the episode because self-aware as fuck.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3146  Edited By GaspoweR

@bigjeffrey: OH GOD THAT SECOND GIF WHAT THE HELL HOW THE HECK DID IT GET BAD ALL OF A SUDDEN GOOD LORD OH MAN

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@hunter5024: I'm gonna guess you've already considered this, but if you haven't, then you should consider giving the One Piece manga a shot. I watched the anime on and off(from the beginning) going a little into Impel Down before I started reading the manga. I'm usually a guy who prefers watching to reading, but the manga of One Piece is far more enjoyable. For one, the filler is largely terrible. But also, whenever the anime gets too close to the manga(inside Impel Down was especially bad), episodes are filled with heavy breathing and gasping shots and anime nonsense. I wouldn't recommend skipping anything because there's some great stuff in every arc and honestly once the Grand Line hits the only arcs I felt a little disappointed in were the 2 shorter ones before the current one. Between Drum and that point though I feel there's a steady increase in quality(with a dip at Thriller Bark(the very end is one of my favorite moments though), because Water 7 is incredible. Then shit pops off.)

If you liked Arlong Park though, keep going. Whenever I recommend One Piece to someone I tell them to give it through Arlong Park, and if they aren't into it then it's not for them. That I think is the first taste of what you're going to get with this series. Luffy getting pissed and all sorts of emotions. But it's also the first hint of the general maturation of series tonally.

The only problem I can think of with the series now is that there's so much going on that it's kind of lost that intimacy with a lot of the crew members. Luffy is still front and center with Zoro not far behind, but I miss Nami getting some meaningful attention. Luckily the characters who fill that space are awesome so it's not too much of a bummer.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been busy, but have squeezed in as much FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood as I possibly can.

I just got done with episode 35. The stakes can't seem to get much higher, and the whole "Let's get our bodies back" part of the show feels like it'll take a backseat to the rest of the plot for a while. It's still really good, and Olivier Armstrong is the kind of ice queen I can get behind (Yeah, yeah. Double entendre. Har, har.)

Doesn't that face just scream
Doesn't that face just scream "adorable"? No? Just me?.... Okay
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3149  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@zomgfruitbunnies said:

I'm usually okay with fanservice, but man, using sexual assault as a delivery method is pretty sleazy, and sleazy is the word I'd use to describe what we've seen from Crossange so far. Two weeks straight, too! The preview narration continues to be the best part of the episode because self-aware as fuck.

Has any anime ever really handled that with tact? Rarely do shows go as far as Crossange, obviously, but I feel like any time we see any scene kinda dealing with sexual assault (even if it's just stuff like random bad guy capturing random female and describing what he's going to do her while feeling her up or whatever) in an anime, it's arguably designed to titillate the viewer first and foremost. I'm sure (or, rather, hope) that there are a few shows out there that don't try to use it in a perverse manner, but I don't recall any off the top of my head. not that my memory is that great anyway, but still...

Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: Hellsing (OVA) is the only one that comes to mind, though, I'm sure there are others. It's a touchy subject most TV anime tend to shy away from for obvious reasons.