Anime Megathread III and Cartoon Megathread I!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@dochaus: It's been like a year. Time for new thread. NEW TREAD.

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm glad the BEST anime this season was discussed on the latest bombcast. If you haven't listened yet, you should.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3204  Edited By bigjeffrey

Hitsugi_no_Chaika:_Avenging_Battle 02 ~ 2 many chaikas. White Chaika is superior though with dem eyebrows.

Kiseijuu:_Sei_no_Kakuritsu 02 ~ Dick Hand nuff said

@dannyhibiki said:

I'm glad the BEST anime this season was discussed on the latest bombcast. If you haven't listened yet, you should.

yeah it got mentioned here, then on the bombcast, i'm gonna watch it

@zomgfruitbunnies said:

@dochaus: It's been like a year. Time for new thread. NEW TREAD.

Yeah, it's kinda annoying when you hit the ">>" button and it ends up on some other page. I do that constantly

edt can i make it? do i like pm a mod to lock or wut.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@bigjeffrey: It is pretty cute. I am glad they are making more stuff even it is ads. Despite just finishing that show I want more.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@gaspower said:

@mezmero: With the rate of how the anime is going is going with it only lasting the standard 24/25 episodes per season and not knowing when a next season is ever going to get announced, it still has years worth of manga to catch up to which is a good thing and a bad thing since as we've seen with other anime adaptations at times they do alter or try to speed up the sequence of events in the interest of time or for other reasons.

(Don't worry, its not a spoiler of what's coming, I'm still talking about the recent season :D )

An example would be the Shimabukuro fight. I might be misremembering certain things but I do remember when I re-checked the chapter when they covered Shimabukuro, it actually went into detail in regards to Ippo's preparation before the fight (Ippo tried to speed up the Dempsey Roll during his mitt training with the Coach to counter Shimabukuro but the punches didn't have power at all so they didn't rely on the Dempsey Roll but focused on building up his muscles while maintaining flexibility as part of the regimen to speed up punches without sacrificing power, etc.) and Shimabukuro actually meeting with Ippo before the fight and seeing where he worked when he wasn't training and coming to the conclusion that Ippo was not a true man of the sea because of how polluted the bay in Tokyo was compared to Okinawa (only to come to the realization that he was wrong towards the end of their match).

In the anime, I think they cut all that out and went straight to the start of the fight at the end of the 1st episode, which in the grand of scheme of things is understandable because they were only ordered a set number of episodes but in the end it only made the Shimabukuro fight seem like a pretty minor fight even though it was a much bigger deal in the manga (it went into specifics as to what Ippo needed to do to improve his boxing). So as someone who has read the manga it was a bit of a disappointment but I'm happy that the quality of the animation was still very high. The way they conveyed how kinetic the movements are and how visceral the blows and the damage of the fighters were great so I couldn't ask for more than that as a fan. :)

Like I said it's a personal preference thing for me. There's always going to be a sort of divide between the 90% of anime fans who just NEED to consume any and all source material they can get their hands on for the sake of instant gratification and guys like me who have zen-like patience when it comes to following shows that I truly adore. Also the music in Hajime no Ippo can be pretty spectacular at times. They give Takamura the Ultra Seven song as his theme for goodness sake! If that doesn't keep me loyal to the show forever I don't know what will.

Leaving this plot thread out doesn't seem like a big deal to me. For one thing I've had more than enough of Ippo meeting someone he's going to fight through happenstance before the actual fight in the previous seasons. Character development is good but I would've been so disappointed if the season premiere had not gotten the first fight rolling and instead spun their wheels on a character who basically had to lose. In the end Shimabukuro was still a great character by virtue of the fight itself since much of his back story fed into his fighting style. So I guess I'm totally glad they skipped the extraneous introspection of a side character and got right to the best part, the Bokushingu!

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3208  Edited By GaspoweR

@zomgfruitbunnies: @bigjeffrey: @dochaus: Oh yeah, before locking the thread, should we also make the new thread first prior to PMing a mod and providing him with the link of the new thread so said mod can also post the link of the new thread as the last post before locking this one? :D

@mezmero: Oh yeah, the song selection for Ippo is pretty good. Personally, the 2nd OP song from the 1st season, "Inner Light" will always be the song that I associate Ippo with (it's like the theme that always comes to mind when I think of Ippo doing the Dempsey Roll). Hahaha!

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@gaspower: Few song lyrics sum up boxing as well as "no pain trance continue." :D

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3210  Edited By Hamst3r

Finished the first season of Stand Alone Complex. It got really good. Hard to follow at times and unevenly paced, but good.

Also, Tokyo Ghoul was some good stuff too and I assume the second season will be even better now that the MC has awoken.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#3211  Edited By DocHaus
NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3212  Edited By NegativeCero

So I've fallen off my anime watching when school started after getting really into it this summer. What are the must watch things this season? The only thing I remember I want to watch is Psycho Pass 2.

Also, I have 48 hour guest passes for Crunchyroll I should probably get rid of. I have 3 of them Anyone who wants one PM me.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

PSYCHO-PASS 2 episode 2- Man, this will be a hard case for Akane and her team.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (You lie in April) episode - what a great performance from Kaori.

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3214  Edited By Wraith1

Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru ep 1-2: was expecting a moe slice of life, instead got a bad ass magical girl anime instead. I seriously wAsn't expecting this. Everyone should check this out

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6