• 67 results
#1 Edited by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

So recently I've started watching death note (Which is the first anime I've watched) and I'm wondering what other shows to try, I'm looking for anime that are quite dark simmilar to the death note so maybe something with a sort of horror aspect to it. Also would anyone recommend I watch the show darker than black I've you have watched it.

#2 Edited by Animasta (14673 posts) -

we have an anime thread for this exact question, in fact!

(but most people consider the logical progression from death note is code geass)

#3 Edited by CaLe (3959 posts) -

Darker than black is nothing like Death Note. It's pretty average overall, I can't say I'd recommend it. If you want something mature and dark you should watch Berserk or Gantz. Maybe even Shigurui if you like gore and action. Monster is kind of mature but it hasn't got the same level of excitement and suspense that Death Note did so well. Still, it's not bad--good story. Elfen Lied is another pretty mature/dark one if I remember correctly.

I've tried to avoid just recommending my favorite anime. Alas, I failed!

#4 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

While Death note is more for teens how about trying Monster.

Kenzou Tenma, a Japanese brain surgeon in Germany, had it all: incredible skill at his work, a rich and beautiful fiancee, and a promising career at his hospital. However, after becoming disenchanted by hospital politics, he chose to save the life of a young boy who got shot in the head over the life of the mayor. As a result he lost the support of the hospital director, as well as his position in the hospital and his fiance. A short time later, the hospital director and the doctors that replaced him were murdered, and once again he was catapulted back onto the top. But as the chief suspect of the murders, Tenma did not get a easy life. As a matter of fact, it seems that the boy he saved was much more than he had appeared to be... Now to clear his name and to correct his past mistake, Tenma must get to the bottom of these and other murders, and investigate the truth of the Monster who is behind all of this.

#5 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

@Darji that sound like a really intresting show.

#6 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

LOGH and Monster both have that same kind of battle of the minds thing going on. If you want something more surreal (which is kind of where my interest lies) I'd recommend Paranoia agent orKemenozume. Ergo Proxy is pretty cool too.

#7 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

"What should I watch after Anime X?"

HAVE YOU NOT FUCKING LEARNED, THERE IS ONLY ONE ANSWER

#8 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@shotgunblast97 said:

@Darji that sound like a really intresting show.

It is. But it is also very plot driven. Death note was made for teens Monster not. So do not expect some shounen stuff or overly exciting fights. If you want stuff like this D Gray man could be something for your but its a Shounen fight Anime which is rather dark.

Oh and don't watch Code Geass because the last part is just a true big fuck to everything that happened before.

#9 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@darji said:

While Death note is more for teens how about trying Monster.

snip

This is the correct answer, it's anime for adults. It starts slow and it's very plot driven but definitely worth it by the end.

#10 Edited by gamefreak9 (2358 posts) -

I quite love code geass though Monster seems worthy.

#11 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

@Darji Have you ever watched Paranoia agent.

#12 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@Darji Have you ever watched Paranoia agent.

I watched the first episode back then but it was never really appealing to me.

#13 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

Hajime no Ippo. Greatest anime/manga out there. Hands down. No contest.

#14 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5816 posts) -

Serial Experiments Lain is decent.

It's got some cool music, at least.

#15 Edited by Akyho (1599 posts) -

I live my life trying to ignore anime since 2000. Some daimonds come my way after that peroid however I find its better to ignore the last 13 years....and continue ignoreing them.....so much MOE.

Code Geass was a realy great anime that while its a mecha anime it was alot of battle of wits with twists and turns. I dont now about following after Death Note as I havnt scene it...the yaoi fanfics my second girlfriend dripped into my mind is slowly being forgotten so maybe 1 day.

#16 Edited by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@akyho: There's always been moe since the beginning of anime. Ever since the very first mahou shoujo there has been moe. Also just because there's "moe" anime doesn't mean things like Hajime no Ippo, Cross Game, and Captain Tsubasa don't exist.

#17 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Attack on Titan is pretty awesome and it has gotten really dark in the last two episodes.

#18 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4202 posts) -

Oh ok.

Afro Samurai. Devil May Cry.. Squidbillies.

#19 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@yadilie said:

@akyho: There's always been moe since the beginning of anime. Ever since the very first mahou shoujo there has been moe. Also just because there's "moe" anime doesn't mean things like Hajime no Ippo, Cross Game, and Captain Tsubasa don't exist.

But it is somehow harder to find. And people rather talk about these loli and moe animes than the actual good ones XD

#20 Posted by Optix12 (612 posts) -

ok you guys have it all wrong. Panty & stocking with garterbelt is the true answer

#21 Posted by roc_553 (209 posts) -

Evangelion was my first anime. I still haven't recovered.

#22 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4202 posts) -

@optix12: "Girl, what I'ma do when I have you alone. You heard your message on your cell phone, saying daddy's home.."

#23 Posted by Kidable (127 posts) -

Breaking Bad

(I kid, but I think it shares a lot of the same themes)

#24 Edited by Giefcookie (598 posts) -

Code Geass has some of the same scheming / super intelligent protagonist stuff as Death Note, mixed with decent mech-action.

I always recommend Durarara to anyone new to anime since it has some of the Japanese weirdness mixed with interesting characters and good production.

Just work yourself up to Bakemonogatari and you'll be cool.

#25 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@darji: Opinions. Sometimes you need cute girls doing cute things. Sometimes you need super serious crime thillers. And sometimes you need a tofu delivery drift king.

#26 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -
#27 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@yadilie said:

@darji: Opinions. Sometimes you need cute girls doing cute things. Sometimes you need super serious crime thillers. And sometimes you need a tofu delivery drift king.

But sometimes you will not get anything else than these girls^^

@dochaus that is mostly a very terrible list. It seems you mostly picked the stuff that is more common in the US...

#28 Edited by Random45 (1141 posts) -

Code Geass has some of the same scheming / super intelligent protagonist stuff as Death Note, mixed with decent mech-action.

I always recommend Durarara to anyone new to anime since it has some of the Japanese weirdness mixed with interesting characters and good production.

I never really cared for Durarara, and I absolutely detested Code Geass, but I definitely agree with Bakemonogatari. That is such a weird show, but it's definitely one of my favorites, the sequel is just 'meh' though.

Though it's not dark at all, I highly recommend Clannad if you're new to anime, that way you can watch After Story, which is probably the best season of any anime ever created. Might as well get the best out of the way first so you can realize that most anime is garbage.

Or if you want to see the worst of the worst, watch School Days. It's definitely dark... I'll give it that. It's probably the only anime where I hated the entire thing EXCEPT the ending - usually it's the opposite.

#29 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -
#30 Edited by DocHaus (1325 posts) -

@darji: I'm sorry you hate fun.

#31 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@dochaus said:

@darji: I'm sorry you hate fun.

Oh I love fun. but I do not think this list is pretty good since the list is stuff people from the west mostly watched back then when anime was something new and strange here or more the stuff people know even if they do not watch animes. Kind of like when MTV was showing animes^^

#32 Posted by Giefcookie (598 posts) -

@random45 said:

@giefcookie said:

I never really cared for Durarara, and I absolutely detested Code Geass, but I definitely agree with Bakemonogatari. That is such a weird show, but it's definitely one of my favorites, the sequel is just 'meh' though.

Though it's not dark at all, I highly recommend Clannad if you're new to anime, that way you can watch After Story, which is probably the best season of any anime ever created. Might as well get the best out of the way first so you can realize that most anime is garbage.

Or if you want to see the worst of the worst, watch School Days. It's definitely dark... I'll give it that. It's probably the only anime where I hated the entire thing EXCEPT the ending - usually it's the opposite.

After Story is up there in my top 3 anime ever with Clannad in top 10, even though I'm kind of a comedy harem fan. It's also one of the few things in the history of entertainment that can make me cry just by hearing a song. Fuckers.

#33 Posted by mabber36 (129 posts) -

mirai nikki

#34 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

6 of those things were on Toonami/Adult Swim. The rest have either never been shown on public TV in the West or arn't even localized by any companies. So I really don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

#35 Edited by StarvingGamer (8150 posts) -

I came in here to say Monster, I see that a lot of people agree.

This may seem like an odd choice, but personally I'd recommend Martian Successor Nadesico as maybe your third or fourth anime. It's a bit of an ode-to-anime with the way it plays with various genre tropes, especially ones from mecha anime, but it also takes some really fucking dark and sudden turns without being random about it.

EDIT: Also FLCL is very stylistically esoteric but it has one of my favorite themes in any fiction anywhere, nobody really gets what they want. Maybe it's more depressing than dark. But it's short so there's no reason not to watch it.

#36 Edited by DocHaus (1325 posts) -

@darji: That's kind of the point of that list. Maybe you and I saw them, but others don't know about them or want to dip their toes in for the first time and don't know where to start.

#37 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5432 posts) -

I could be wrong, but I believe Psycho pass was made by the same people as Death Note.

#38 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@dochaus said:

@darji: That's kind of the point of that list. Maybe you and I saw them, but others don't know about them or want to dip their toes in for the first time and don't know where to start.

But why would you want to start them with overrated not even good ones when you can show them actual really good ones?^^

#39 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11631 posts) -

Just watch Evangelion and get it over with so you can have an opinion on it. It was one of the first serious (i.e. non-shonen, not on Toonami) animes I watched, and boy... that was a bad idea. Actually, scratch that. Go for something less divisive and overbearing. I hear the kids like the Fullmetal Alchemist. I liked what I watched, and intend to get back to it at some point.

#40 Edited by Carlos1408 (1500 posts) -

Full Metal Alchemist is a great one to give a shot. Has some pretty dark moments and themes.

#41 Edited by Eidderf (506 posts) -

@darji: That seems like odd reasoning, just because something is popular doesn't mean it's aiming for the lowest common dominator (also putting aside the fact that in terms of anime Death Note is hardly an underground hit) sometimes the cream just rises to the top so to speak. How would you even know they are overrated without seeing them, that's something the op would have to decide.

#42 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

Just watch Evangelion and get it over with so you can have an opinion on it. It was one of the first serious (i.e. non-shonen, not on Toonami) animes I watched, and boy... that was a bad idea. Actually, scratch that. Go for something less divisive and overbearing. I hear the kids like the Fullmetal Alchemist. I liked what I watched, and intend to get back to it at some point.

Watch Brotherhood it is much better than the original and it follows the manga while the first series just makes shit up after a while.

#43 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -

@darji: Oh, you had me going there for a minute there. Good trolling, but you blew it with your last line.

#44 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@eidderf said:

@darji: That seems like odd reasoning, just because something is popular doesn't mean it's aiming for the lowest common dominator (also putting aside the fact that in terms of anime Death Note is hardly an underground hit) sometimes the cream just rises to the top so to speak. How would you even know they are overrated without seeing them?

I would never consider Death note as good and yeah it is totally mainstream like 99% of the animes but that itself is not a bad thing either. It is bad because of the whole stupid ending act after L.. But If I look at this list the first 10 titles for example a decent overrated animes. And yes I watched them. These top 10 is the stuff people would say who mostly watch only dubbed animes.

#45 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (616 posts) -

I think Paranoia Agent might be up your alley if you liked Death Note. It's my favorite anime of all time and I always go into anime recommendation threads and force it on people.

#46 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11631 posts) -

@darji said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Watch Brotherhood it is much better than the original and it follows the manga while the first series just makes shit up after a while.

I should have specified that I meant Brotherhood.

#47 Edited by mikey87144 (1730 posts) -

@roc_553: I'm sorry. I was 14 when I saw it. Damn.

#48 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

@darji said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I should have specified that I meant Brotherhood.

Oh sorry then. Sometimes it is really hard to understand which version they are talking about. But Yeah Brotherhood is outstanding go and try finish it. I am sure you will not regret it^^

@OP You really should watch Brotherhood as well^^

#49 Edited by Eidderf (506 posts) -

@darji: Well I don't disagree with you there on Death Note (would be a more interesting ending to see Light win instead of justice prevailing for a change) Honestly I'm just not a big fan of people using the term overrated, I'd prefer people articulate what they think of a show, can't get much of a discussion out of it and it's not really going to help inform the OP about what you think makes them not worth viewing.

I've enjoyed some the of selections on the list, they are mostly more action oriented than perhaps someone who wants something similar to death note would probably want though, that being said fair enough if you don't personally enjoy them. I didn't mean my original post to sound as aggressive as it may have ended up, so apologies if it came across that way.

#50 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@eidderf said:

@darji: Well I don't disagree with you there on Death Note (would be a more interesting ending to see Light win instead of justice prevailing for a change) Honestly I'm just not a big fan of people using the term overrated, I'd prefer people articulate what they think of a show, can't get much of a discussion out of it and it's not really going to help inform the OP about what you think makes them not worth viewing.

I've enjoyed some the of selections on the list, they are mostly more action oriented than perhaps someone who wants something similar to death note would probably want though, that being said fair enough if you don't personally enjoy them. I didn't mean my original post to sound as aggressive as it may have ended up, so apologies if it came across that way.

I mean overrated in the sense of that they do not know much beside the stuff. Like for example. I never could understand any praise for Elfenlied for example. And thats not because it has blood or violence in it but because I think it is pretty medicore at best in terms of plot, style or characters. That said I think Evangelion is pretty bad too. The only think I really enjoyed was the ending. The whole reason. All the mecha filler stuff was rather boring for me.

Oh and you were not argessive or so so do not worry about that. I would love some discussion about this^^