Anime Vice Forum Revolution

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

So lately it's come to my attention that one of the reasons Anime Vice isn't prospering  as well as the rest of the WM family is that the forums are kind of stale. Not a lot of normal discussion going on. So, who is willing to start discussing anime, get this, ON ANIME VICE? Or maybe when the community is big enough we can post some off-topic threads in there as well. Sign here if you want to make this happen. Obviously this won't force you to do it, but one of my psychology classes taught that a person is more likely to do something if they directly say that they will do it.  

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Alphazero

Anime is for people that like anime.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aronman789

I don't think this will work.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Lunar_Aura

There are other forums?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Dagbiker

Yah, the forums are the reason Anime Vice is dieing not the lack of funding, or the lack of community, or the figure heads of giantbomb undermining there own sister company every time anime is brought up by very in factly stating that "anime is for jerks," no its the forums

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Afroman269

Nope.

FaTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By FaTD

Your attempt is noble and brave, but I'm afraid that may be futile in this community. ;)

Although I'm not that big of an anime-guy I would love to talk with someone about the GANTZ anime (one of my guilty pleasures), so if thats an option, sing me up!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Sooty

I am quite partial to the odd bit of anime.

When it involves Chie punting TANKS.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aegon
@Dagbiker said:

Yah, the forums are the reason Anime Vice is dieing not the lack of funding, or the lack of community, or the figure heads of giantbomb undermining there own sister company every time anime is brought up by very in factly stating that "anime is for jerks," no its the forums

@H2Oyea said:
 one of the reasons 
Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By Danteveli

I would like to help but I think it would be really hard. I went there and all I could see was this Naruto character vs other one.  If you create interesting thread you have my posts there.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I'm disappointed. I totally thought this thread was going to be about how Anime Vice members had enough of being the rejects of the Whiskey Media family and they were doing something about it. 

I like anime, but I don't watch enough to discuss much. Also, I'm not into the big series like One Piece, Bleach or Naruto because they're too damn long and impossible to get into.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Aetheldod

@FluxWaveZ: Aww come on is not like you can watch the first episodes , also the firts Naruto you can stop watching at ep 100 , more or less the rest are just filler

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlightConfuse

@LunarAura said:

There are other forums?

this, every thread is Goku vs other character. i would love to discuss somthing other than the big 3

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Aetheldod said:

@FluxWaveZ: Aww come on is not like you can watch the first episodes , also the firts Naruto you can stop watching at ep 100 , more or less the rest are just filler

Yeah, I had actually watched the series until the load of fillers that occurred right before Shippuden. So I guess I could start at Shippuden right now and not be lost if I wanted to, but keeping up is a hassle, even though I'd be somewhat intrigued of seeing the kids all grown up and following the continuing adventures of Emo Sasuke.
Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bocam

Anime vice sucks as the articles written there are only about licensed anime. I want the magic of Madoka Magica to spread across the globe.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By craigbo180

I like it when they turn super saiyan.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I don't understand why Comic Vine, a site based on a medium extremely similar to anime/manga, prospers while Anime Vice is restricted to being only community driven. A couple of awesome personalities who like anime making video content and weekly podcasts for it would make it so much better. Oh well.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aegon
@FluxWaveZ said:
I don't understand why Comic Vine, a site based on a medium extremely similar to anime/manga, prospers while Anime Vice is restricted to being only community driven. A couple of awesome personalities who like anime making video content and weekly podcasts for it would make it so much better. Oh well.
Yeah. Tom can't do it all on his own with a lower budget to boot. 
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

You could always find an anime-centric forum to go to. 

Or, if you must mingle your gaming and anime, the Escapist has a fair number of anime threads popping up every now and then. 

Quick hint: Giantbomb isn't really the place to discuss anime...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@rebgav said: 

...and also the fact that they haven't been able to find a grown-up professional type willing to spend their workdays writing about Japanese cartoons.

Yet they can find grown-up professional types willing to spend their workdays writing about video games and American cartoons? Come on now. Especially given the fact that "professional" doesn't befit the persona of the Giant Bomb staff all that much.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Turambar

@Bocam said:

Anime vice sucks as the articles written there are only about licensed anime. I want the magic of Madoka Magica to spread across the globe.

That's why community written articles exist. Go ahead start a thread on Madoka yourself.

On topic, I do plan on actually doing something other than criticizing AV's lack of direction content wise for once while I still have the time during this vacation. One article posted, another one should be up at the end of the night though god knows how long my relatively uncreative mind can keep that up. Though being much more of a mecha fan, my write ups are obviously going to have a limited scope in terms of audience. If people have something about a show they want to say, go ahead and start a thread yourself.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@believer258 said:
Why not? We've had plenty of great anime discussion threads.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Turambar

@FluxWaveZ said:

I'm disappointed. I totally thought this thread was going to be about how Anime Vice members had enough of being the rejects of the Whiskey Media family and they were doing something about it. I like anime, but I don't watch enough to discuss much. Also, I'm not into the big series like One Piece, Bleach or Naruto because they're too damn long and impossible to get into.

FoxxFireArt actually did post those to 10 Wiki Contributers of WM articles on each of the WM sites, with a bit of personal editorial on staff neglect of AV. Though he also made said thread in the middle of the night on a weekday, so they got buried pretty quickly.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bocam

@Turambar: But I'm lazy and the forums there are scary

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Turambar: The thread in question got bumped recently.
Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SuperWristBands

@H2Oyea: I'd totally be down, I still watch a lot of the anime that is released, even if some of it isn't all that great. I went there a few days ago and looked at the forum and all I saw was the "RPG" forum on the main page... It's not what I thought it was.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Turambar

@believer258 said:

You could always find an anime-centric forum to go to. Or, if you must mingle your gaming and anime, the Escapist has a fair number of anime threads popping up every now and then. Quick hint: Giantbomb isn't really the place to discuss anime...

Actually, the irony is I can make a thread on GB and get more responses about said show than I can if I made the same thread on AV. That's one of the biggest problems AV's community has that's keeping away people that actually want to discuss the medium like me: they simply don't seem interested in the shows themselves, and are more content with just the RP and Battle sub-forums.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bocam

@Turambar said:

and are more content with just the RP and Battle sub-forums.

Exactly

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By RE_Player1

I tried to get into AnimeVice and I have taken a lot from it, I wouldn't have discovered one of my favorite anime series Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood without it, but I'm not into anime on a regular basis like games. I probably watch an anime series, that is short with like 50 episodes max none of that Naruto or Bleach 100+ episodes bullshit, every 6 or 8 months and that is all. Maybe I'll get back into it but not likely in the coming months.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bocam

@RE_Player92: There's another Fullmetal Alchemist anime. It's much better then Brotherhood as it has Magical Hitler

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By Cloudenvy

I think I am too much into anime for my own good.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Afroman269

@FluxWaveZ said:

@believer258 said:
Why not? We've had plenty of great anime discussion threads.

True, I rather talk about anime on here, better discussions to be had. I don't like Anime Vice.

@RE_Player92 said:

but I'm not into anime on a regular basis like games. I probably watch an anime series, that is short with like 50 episodes max none of that Naruto or Bleach 100+ episodes bullshit, every 6 or 8 months and that is all. Maybe I'll get back into it but not likely in the coming months.

Also I side with this thinking.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#33  Edited By RE_Player1
@Bocam You talking about the original series not based on the manga? I bought the whole thing and loved it up to a point... than I fucking hated it. Didn't even bother with the movies because of how shit the plot got.
Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bocam

@Cloudenvy: Do you have a waifu (Think Jeff's love of Chie)? If not, you're just a beginner.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Maybe if they got a more active user base, i just might be inclined to go there and post some. Same goes for Screened.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cloudenvy
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Cloudenvy said:
Impossible.
Well, once I started following Japanese TV ratings I felt like I might've gone too far.

@Bocam
said:

@Cloudenvy: Do you have a waifu (Think Jeff's love of Chie)? If not, you're just a beginner.

I do. 

Trust me, I'm not a rookie at this stuff ; )
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Cloudenvy said:
Impossible.
Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bocam

@RE_Player92: I'm talking about the movie. It was so fucking stupid, which made it so good.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By matoya

I really like anime. A lot, actually. It's just the forum is really really bad. It seems like save for a very few people, nobody can seem to form a real sentence. And the people who aren't like that seem very pretentious about how they enjoy their medium. I'd enjoy the forum if it wasn't so horribly dead.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Turambar

@FluxWaveZ: That's good to see at least then.

@Bocam said:

@Turambar said:

and are more content with just the RP and Battle sub-forums.

Exactly

The blame on that goes three ways though.

First, WM is at fault partly because of the lack of editorial support. Writing for AV is different than writing for any of the other sites since you are limited largely to licensed shows review wise, but more personal blog type formats from a small (as in not one man in LA) can do well to stir up enthusiast discussions on shows themselves.

Second, the community itself that seems disinterested as previously posted. Full disclosure, my first blog on AV is a port of the 08th MS Team one I wrote up on here. I got 20-30 responses from it on GB. So far, the AV community has given me two response posts. That's a problem the community itself needs to address.

Third, its people like me. People who watches a lot of anime and likes to discuss and write about it, but looks at the state of AV and decides to avoid it. That only helps perpetuate the problem.

I have no idea how to solve problems one and two. I don't have the ability to tell the WM staff how to run their company and I can't mind control forum goers through the internet. But if we can get maybe a few more people trying to address problem three, maybe we can stir up some more interest on the site.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By AngelN7

There are a lot of anime based on games and vice versa so I don´t think it can´t be done , sadly  I have particular tastes in Anime when I used to watch them and the last one I watched was Death Note so while I will like to I don´t think I can contribute to your cause.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bocam
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By JJOR64

Going to say this now. Why in the holy mother of fuck was this thread made? This thread is just going to create more hate for Anime Vice.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cloudenvy
@Turambar said: 

Third, its people like me. People who watches a lot of anime and likes to discuss and write about it, but looks at the state of AV and decides to avoid it. 

This kind of sums up my feelings about AnimeVice. 
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Turambar: I think expanding the community lies solely on WM shoulders, and not anime enthusiasts. If good content comes from the site, then people will come. The Endurance Run on GB, for example, had an important impact on the site's recognition and made several members join and stay for content such as Quick Looks. It's not up to us to go to a dying forum and try to revive it (I don't deny it would help a bit).
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Cloudenvy
@Bocam said:

@Cloudenvy: Is it Nadeko? Mine is Charlotte

Haha, Infinite Stratos, eh? a fan of that show or just of Charlotte? 

Holo from Spice & Wolf is mine, not entirely original I know but hey..What can you do? : )
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Turambar

@AngelN7 said:

There are a lot of anime based on games and vice versa so I don´t think it can´t be done , sadly I have particular tastes in Anime when I used to watch them and the last one I watched was Death Note so while I will like to I don´t think I can contribute to your cause.

I don't think you need to watch the most recent of shows to have a view point worth discussing. If you find a show interesting, and can articulate it in words, go ahead and throw up a thread on it, even if said show is over a decade old.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#48  Edited By DonutFever

Who's Anime? Why are their vices revolving?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bocam

@Turambar said:

Writing for AV is different than writing for any of the other sites since you are limited largely to licensed shows review wise, but more personal blog type formats from a small (as in not one man in LA) can do well to stir up enthusiast discussions on shows themselves.

Why are they only limited to licensed shows? Other then Tom not really knowing how to acquire them . Other anime sites write reviews on currently airing shows all the time.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#50  Edited By ZombiePie

I was given Guest Author status on Anime Vice...which reminds me I need to think of something to write about soon.