#51 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Can't wait to see this idea crash and burn. Oh wait, too late...

#52 Posted by Bocam (3683 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: I even read the fucking novels.

#53 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -
@Bocam said:

@Cloudenvy: I even read the fucking novels.

Well, I can't say you're crazy *looks at Spice & Wolf novel collection* 

Though Spice & Wolf did start as a novel series, hehe.
#54 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

We should go in there and talk about how Pokemon is the best anime ever. That's sure to cause quite an uproar.

#55 Posted by Bocam (3683 posts) -

@awesomeusername: But Pokemon is the best anime ever

#56 Posted by bonbolapti (1599 posts) -

If you want a forum to thrive, all you can do is use that Forum. That's all I'm saying. Going to other forums to get them to post on something that doesn't follow their interest is a waste of everybody's time.

so you know, If you like Anime Vice, post on it, if you want to see the forums stay used, post on em. THAT'S ALL YOU CAN DO.

#57 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@Matoya said:

I'd enjoy the forum if it wasn't so horribly dead.

i think the fact that there is less discusion about anime is a real problem. I rather discuss anime here since people will have a discussion instead of ignoring it. Turambar third point is the most salient, you just watched an awesome episode and go to AV and then go maybe not. i feel like this would have a small effect and not worth the effort since i can discuss anime here why go to another forum

#58 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1397 posts) -

I think, in general, Whisky Media just isn't the type of hub where kids who are nuts for anime.  It's just a different vibe here.

#59 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: I've been meaning to ask you, is your avatar the snake chick from Bakemono? It looks so familiar but I can't put my finger on it...

#60 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Who do you think would win in a fight: Vegeta or the powerpuff girls? No dragonballs allowed.

#61 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Ghost_Cat said:
I think, in general, Whisky Media just isn't the type of hub where kids who are nuts for anime.  It's just a different vibe here.
I don't get it. A lot of people who like anime are normal people.
#62 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@Alphazero

Anime is for people that like anime.

Hey! That's what I said! >:(
#63 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:

@Cloudenvy: I've been meaning to ask you, is your avatar the snake chick from Bakemono? It looks so familiar but I can't put my finger on it...

Indeed it is!
#64 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Ghost_Cat said:
I think, in general, Whisky Media just isn't the type of hub where kids who are nuts for anime. It's just a different vibe here.

But none of those people like posting on anime forums cause of the 10% of super crazy weirdos that go to anime conventions dressed in orange jumpsuits.

#65 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: i just started watching spice and wolf really enjoying it a lot

#66 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -
@slightconfuse said:

@Cloudenvy: i just started watching spice and wolf really enjoying it a lot

Glad to hear that : ) I hope you keep enjoying it! 

Though I will always recommend the books over the anime, haha : )
#67 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Ghost_Cat said:
I think, in general, Whisky Media just isn't the type of hub where kids who are nuts for anime. It's just a different vibe here.

But none of those people like posting on anime forums cause of the 10% of super crazy weirdos that go to anime conventions dressed in orange jumpsuits.

It's very clear you have a dismissive attitude to anime. Why are you continuing to try and aggravate people instead of moving on?

#68 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Matoya said:

@Enigma777 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Ghost_Cat said:

It's very clear you have a dismissive attitude to anime. Why are you continuing to try and aggravate people instead of moving on?

Cause I'm bored. Also I've probably seen more anime than you. That's probably why I'm so bitter... I miss the good old times. :(

#69 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -

I watch anime, but I really have no interest in discussing it or following the industry. The furthest I go is looking to see whats coming up next season that I would be interested in watching.

#70 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@Matoya said:

@Enigma777 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Ghost_Cat said:

Cause I'm bored. Also I've probably seen more anime than you. That's probably why I'm so bitter... I miss the good old times. :(

Even if you have, there's no reason to droll on people like this. We both know how agitated people get over anime, especially when their knowledge is limited. Or they're just "gamers"

#71 Posted by Turambar (6678 posts) -

@Bocam said:

@Turambar said:

Writing for AV is different than writing for any of the other sites since you are limited largely to licensed shows review wise, but more personal blog type formats from a small (as in not one man in LA) can do well to stir up enthusiast discussions on shows themselves.

Why are they only limited to licensed shows? Other then Tom not really knowing how to acquire them . Other anime sites write reviews on currently airing shows all the time.

I don't know that for a fact. It's just something that I've assumed to be true judging from the type of editorial content that comes up. Also, if there was a reason, I'd say its because AV is still ultimately a commercial site.

#72 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Matoya: Everything I've said is 100% factually correct. If some people find the truth painful, that's not my fault. In fact, if you like, I could go into a long rant why anime cons and the stigma imposed by their "fans" are killing the anime market in NA.

#73 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I used to watch anime and read manga.  
Then all the good shows and books started ending and all I was left with were the long ass 300+ or something episode shows and kawai bullshit, so I left. I later tried to get back in when Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood came out (as I was a big fan of the books), but they fucking ruined it by putting all that damn chibi stuff everywhere. The other show had it, but it was no where near as irritating. Anyway I think that part of my life is over now. 

Might go re-read Pluto though, I loved that one.

#74 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:

@Matoya: Everything I've said is 100% factually correct. If some people find the truth painful, that's not my fault. In fact, if you like, I could go into a long rant why anime cons and the stigma imposed by their "fans" are killing the anime market in NA.

*ignores the NA anime market* ; )
#75 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -
@H2Oyea:  

Yeah, someone had to start at some point.
#76 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

I'm incapable of having more than one interest at a time. And I like videogames, so...

#77 Posted by Akyho (1587 posts) -

I am a big anime fan. However.....I dont like Anime vice.....It dosnt have any varitety or personality. I feel if i wanted i would get more from Youtubers than from Anime vice. Its not cared for enough to try and improve it and thus forth it wont be improved.

#78 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

You could if you wanted, but I'm British, so it doesn't mean anything to me.

#79 Posted by Falx (346 posts) -
#80 Posted by smatticus (44 posts) -

i tried watching the anime vice review of berserk! and i just didn't feel like the person reviewing the manga read a lot of manga, because he had a lot of complaints over things that most manga readers just accept as the norm. so i guess the reason I don't visit it often is because they just don't seem like the giant fans of anime/manga that i would expect to find at an anime centric website. i had the same problem with tested, i just didnt feel like the people in the videos really knew what they were doing OR talking about

#81 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1736 posts) -

No content, no community. That's just the way it goes.  

It's not really any fault of the site though, to me at least. The American Anime bubble has pretty much burst. The wide spread interest the medium once had has pretty much dried up. New people aren't really coming in anymore and old people are actually leaving once they finally submit to the reality that the shows that brought them in (most likely Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell) are the exceptions, not the rule. 

#82 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

I used to watch anime and read manga. Then all the good shows and books started ending and all I was left with were the long ass 300+ or something episode shows and kawai bullshit, so I left. I later tried to get back in when Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood came out (as I was a big fan of the books), but they fucking ruined it by putting all that damn chibi stuff everywhere. The other show had it, but it was no where near as irritating. Anyway I think that part of my life is over now. Might go re-read Pluto though, I loved that one.

Pluto is dope. Scratch that, all of Noaki Urasawa's stuff is dope.

#83 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Who would win in a fight Goku or One Piece.

#84 Posted by NeoGamer (158 posts) -

Forums just get better when people enjoy the site itself. For example, if Giant Bomb was in the same poor state as Anime Vice, most of us would probably be lurking at GAF, gamespot or whatever. The same goes for anime, there's no need to use AV when there are many great anime blogs/trackers out there with nice communities.

If WM could bring, you know, a guy or two who really know about anime and had cool features and nice, current episode reviews instead of just throwing everything at the community and saying "hey, you can publish your thing here", maybe things would be different and the forums really fun. I see that many GB members like anime, but it just feels better to talk about it here now and then, than to try and start something at AV. And I totally understand that.

#85 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:

Nope.

I'm with Fro man 
Nah
#86 Posted by mikethekilla (328 posts) -

I'm already on there so, yeah.

#87 Posted by Aegon (5421 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:

Who would win in a fight Goku or One Piece.

Pffffft Goku, OBVIOUSLY. Neeeeext.
#88 Posted by mnzy (2912 posts) -

So, how do you like your drawn people?

#89 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Some of the threads are 2 hrs old, haha.

I comment on things once in a while... in a while...

#90 Posted by believer258 (11686 posts) -
@Turambar said:

@believer258 said:

You could always find an anime-centric forum to go to. Or, if you must mingle your gaming and anime, the Escapist has a fair number of anime threads popping up every now and then. Quick hint: Giantbomb isn't really the place to discuss anime...

Actually, the irony is I can make a thread on GB and get more responses about said show than I can if I made the same thread on AV. That's one of the biggest problems AV's community has that's keeping away people that actually want to discuss the medium like me: they simply don't seem interested in the shows themselves, and are more content with just the RP and Battle sub-forums.

@FluxWaveZ said:
@believer258 said:
Quick hint: Giantbomb isn't really the place to discuss anime...
Why not? We've had plenty of great anime discussion threads.
I've admittedly only been on Giantbomb a month or two, maybe a little more, but I don't remember seeing many anime threads at all. The ones I do see seem to get few responses and fall down really quick. 

I guess I've just had bad timing as far as good anime discussion goes. Not that I could contribute much, I watched the last of FMA B and haven't watched anything since.
#91 Posted by AlexW00d (6198 posts) -

@Matoya said:

@Enigma777 said:

You could if you wanted, but I'm British, so it doesn't mean anything to me.

But there is no Animé market here anyway.

#92 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

Anime vice isn't prospering because it's fucking anime.

#93 Posted by Rawrnosaurous (768 posts) -

I personally seriously hate all the stupid posts people seem to make when Anime is brought up in here. It's animation! It's mature cartoons, what about that fact isn't great? I am a fan of Anime, not a giant fan but I wouldn't dismiss anything because it's classified as anime. If you make anime threads on here and I have something to contribute to it I will. The problem is that I don't like to be active on more than one forum, it's hard enough to become familiar with others over the internet, adding in multiple areas where not everyone is called by the same name just makes the problem worse. If you want to talk about anime, put up a thread but in reality your not going to find me on Anime Vice or any anime centered place.

Not because I look down on anime or the people that love and like anime.

You just get a really large percentage of creepy people when it comes to anime.

#94 Posted by Wraith1 (556 posts) -

I remember a time when Anime Vice actually had staff, then they got laid off for some reason

#95 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -

I have no problem with Animevice but I am put off, but the sexualization of women (which is even worse than in video games) and the immaturity of most shows (at least most of the shows I have seen) and those who aren't immature usually come off as very pretentious.

#96 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

@Rawrnosaurous said:

I personally seriously hate all the stupid posts people seem to make when Anime is brought up in here. It's animation! It's mature cartoons, what about that fact isn't great? I am a fan of Anime, not a giant fan but I wouldn't dismiss anything because it's classified as anime. If you make anime threads on here and I have something to contribute to it I will. The problem is that I don't like to be active on more than one forum, it's hard enough to become familiar with others over the internet, adding in multiple areas where not everyone is called by the same name just makes the problem worse. If you want to talk about anime, put up a thread but in reality your not going to find me on Anime Vice or any anime centered place. Not because I look down on anime or the people that love and like anime. You just get a really large percentage of creepy people when it comes to anime.

You're trying to make a rational argument over people who think being a fan of "Japanese cartoons, for kids" are better than playing videogames all day.

#97 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton said:

I have no problem with Animevice but I am put off, but the sexualization of women (which is even worse than in video games) and the immaturity of most shows (at least most of the shows I have seen) and those who aren't immature usually come off as very pretentious.

Sounds like you've been watching some not so good stuff? : )
#98 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: Maybe but even the stuff I watched that is considered good I felt was bad, for example Ghost in a Shell and Death note were too pretntious and thought they were too smart then what they actually were. The only anime series I can think of I like is Cowboy Bebop and even it had some big problems.

#99 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4646 posts) -

The Anime Vice forums are awful though, it's all just "Character Vs. Character" threads rather than any actual discussion.

Also as much as I love Ryan and Jeff, they're childish cunts when it comes to anime, so this forum of hideous brown-nosers probably won't give you much support.

#100 Posted by JackSukeru (5906 posts) -

@Creamypies said:

I'm incapable of having more than one interest at a time. And I like videogames, so...

Objection!!

You're lying! and I can prove it damnit!

Obviously you wouldn't have signed up for Giantbomb if your current interest was unrelated to videogames, but then the username you picked when you did so makes no sense. If we split up your username at just the right place we will find that it is actually TWO words, written as one.

Those words are Creamy pies!!!

But RB old friend, you say, Creamy pies are sweets, or maybe even baking related, two subjects that are both completely separate and wholly unrelated to videogames. Why would a guy who claim to only be able to hold one interest at a time, have a cooking or baking related username on a non-cooking or baking related videogame website? It makes no sense. The reason is simple; He either, through some strange twist of fate, thought that he had signed up for a C&B related website, or he's lying becaus that's what bad people do and he's a bad person. Unfortunately for "him", in other words you, villain, I have found you out and the jig is up!

So there! I hope you have learned your lesson, and that I have now made you think twice before lying on the internet.