• 55 results
djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By djames216

So it looks like the awesome guys (and by awesome, I mean the exact opposite) at BermanBraun (now known as Whalerock) have decided to shut down AnimeVice.com. There's a forum post here announcing it. The community will apparently be transferring as much content as they can to a new wikia site AnimeVice.wikia.com. It's sad to see this happening again. I hope the community stays reasonably intact. They shut Screened down about a year ago. A small group of us transfered as much as we could and do the the best we can at to-hollywood-and-beyond.wikia.com.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Never really got into AnimeVice just because it didn't have the personalities that GB, Screened or Tested had although this really sucks. At the time of WM closing down and the sites being sold off, Tested was actually the least viewed site as it was just a typical tech blog that the internet didn't need but has since gone onto great success by pairing with Mythbusters. It's too bad BB couldn't give a shit about any of the other sites though. Screened could've been a competitor to IMDb but with personality but instead it was thrown under the bus.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@mrcraggle: It's super weird that they bought Whiskey Media largely just for the Tested brand, only to kinda barely use it because the branding of Mythbusters/Adam & Jamie overpower it. It's almost like they just bought Will & Norm, which I guess is an alright deal.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Outside of GB, I think all of the old WM sites were wonderful ideas that needed a little cash investment into content production to become really great. WM used its limited resources on GB (a wise choice, in the end) while BB went and did the same for Tested.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

At least you anime people still have anime editor Brad Shoemaker to save the day

jabr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How will we do that thing.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think one of AnineVice's problems was not combining it with Screened. Making them two separate sites was a strange decision.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm actually surprised ComicVine is still a thing. When they used to have the links at the bottom to the partner sites I would visit once in a while but these days I constantly forget it even exists.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@jabr said:

How will we do that thing.

My thoughts exactly.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Total bummer, had no idea that site was still up and running. Hopefully they can all land on their feet somewhere relatively quickly.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak said:

Outside of GB, I think all of the old WM sites were wonderful ideas that needed a little cash investment into content production to become really great. WM used its limited resources on GB (a wise choice, in the end) while BB went and did the same for Tested.

Well WhiskeyMedia sites only had one thing other sites don't do, and that is the wiki structure. Giantbomb and Tested just happened to do personality-based stuff that made other sites seem boring/underdeveloped. WM sites were never meant to be video-based sites, even Jeff/Ryan envisioned GB to be a wiki site, not a video site. Well of course, for the more popular WM sites the wiki became something in the backdrop.

I think one of AnineVice's problems was not combining it with Screened. Making them two separate sites was a strange decision.

I'm not sure if I understand you, but do you mean AnimeVice and ComicVine? Screened is a movie critique site. And even ComicVine would be a stretch since AnimeVice never had video staff, and their focus seemed to be wiki and community.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By forkboy

@bisonhero said:

@mrcraggle: It's super weird that they bought Whiskey Media largely just for the Tested brand, only to kinda barely use it because the branding of Mythbusters/Adam & Jamie overpower it. It's almost like they just bought Will & Norm, which I guess is an alright deal.

They bought it for the tech more so than anything else (From what I've heard/read). That Tested still exists is honestly a happy coincidence.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well its sad but im surprised it made it this long post buyout. I always liked the idea of what that site could be but it never lived up to more than just a wiki and battle threads...which is fine but i wanted more. Still a god damn travesty to what happened to screened, gonna go watch those awesome videos now.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to salvage all of my two reviews there.

And... I'm really not sure what to feel about it going away. It had potential, but the community seemed more pre-occupied with discussing who was more powerful or some deeply troubling 'shipping thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer about the site hopefully guys will get into new roles soon! But how will we MP @jeff for Jar questions now!

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought that it still got huge amounts of traffic?

hylian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been to animevice

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 71Ranchero

Goku vs Weaponized Magical Girl Deathstar! Lets do this!

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themangalist: Anime is Japanese Animation. That's movies and TV and so iit should have been like a subsection of Screened. Making it a separate site was strange.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But where will all the Vs. threads go now!?

To Comic Vine, apparently.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@humanity said:

I'm actually surprised ComicVine is still a thing. When they used to have the links at the bottom to the partner sites I would visit once in a while but these days I constantly forget it even exists.

ComicVine is more popular than GiantBomb.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimsonavenger: Well, sure, but AnimeVice existed before Screened.

Also, I was always grateful they kept the anime evil away from my grownup movies like Jack & Jill.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#24 fisk0  Moderator

That's sad. I visited it about once every 6 months or so. Weren't they mostly community run even before Whiskey Media was split up though? I got the sense that the site had been in trouble for several years, but that the site remained active thanks to active members in the community.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

WM was great, wish I found out about GB earlier than I did because I only got 8 months with everyone before the buyout

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
@kidavenger said:

@bollard said:

@humanity said:

This is no longer true

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/giantbomb.com

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/comicvine.com

So according to Alexa, Giant Bomb's primary demographic is women by a huge majority. I'm sure there are plenty of women who visit Giant Bomb but by a huge majority? That I don't believe.

DirtyRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DirtyRandy

@kidavenger said:

@bollard said:

@humanity said:

This is no longer true

So according to Alexa, Giant Bomb's primary demographic is women by a huge majority. I'm sure there are plenty of women who visit Giant Bomb but by a huge majority? That I don't believe.

It's all based on the internet average. The number of female visitors is higher than average.

Alexa.com says, "Females are over-represented at this site". For a period of time, that was totally true. All jokes aside, I don't know how accurate that site is... I've seem some conflicting data.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#28  Edited By Kidavenger

@kidavenger said:

@bollard said:

@humanity said:

This is no longer true

Both site's traffic are estimated, the point is that an authoritative source estimates Giantbomb to be bigger than Comicvine at this point, while there is nothing to point to the opposite being true anymore.

Their estimate on the female population here is in relation to the rest of the internet, not that there are more women than men here. I don't think it's out of the question that Giantbomb has more female users than an average website.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 FinalDasa  Moderator

AnimeVice will still have a YouTube channel, a wikia, and they're working on a forum as well. AnimeVice isn't ending, just the site is closing, AV will still exist.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@crimsonavenger said:
@kidavenger said:

@bollard said:

@humanity said:

This is no longer true

Both site's traffic are estimated, the point is that an authoritative source estimates Giantbomb to be bigger than Comicvine at this point, while there is nothing to point to the opposite being true anymore.

Their estimate on the female population here is in relation to the rest of the internet, not that there are more women than men here. I don't think it's out of the question that Giantbomb has more female users than an average website.

Well the whole Alexa thing notwithstanding, I stand corrected about how notable Comic Vine is. I suppose it's one of those situations where I personally don't visit and so I have the mistaken presumption that it's not popular.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Just a quick reminder here that Alexa is more or less bullshit.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@kidavenger said:

@crimsonavenger said:
@kidavenger said:

@bollard said:

@humanity said:

This is no longer true

Well the whole Alexa thing notwithstanding, I stand corrected about how notable Comic Vine is. I suppose it's one of those situations where I personally don't visit and so I have the mistaken presumption that it's not popular.

I always find it surprising, but you just need to go and look at the most recent forum posts on ComicVine and you see every post on the first page was commented on in the last half an hour at most. Do the same for GiantBomb and it's more like 3 hours. I think once I looked at the total registered users there and it was chunk more too. Never even realised.

ikramit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their are many websites based around anime and manga that are far far better than anime vice they just did not have anything particularly interesting to say

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FinalDasa  Moderator

@fisk0: It isn't community run anymore and hasn't been solely community run for awhile. Tom Pinchuk has been doing videos for AV for several years now and the revamped Youtube series will be headed by him I believe. So he's their "host" essentially.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35  Edited By mike

@bollard: There are also many users on ComicVine with literally dozens of accounts. It's not uncommon for a single person to actively post with 5-6 accounts or more on a daily basis on CV. Alts are encouraged there, and their forums are full of things like RP and VS threads. Looks can be deceiving.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am glad Anime Vice will still exist in some form so Brad and Dan can still get their fix.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Fair enough, I never realised that.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Screened was the biggest tragedy out of the whole BermanBraun thing.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well to be perfectly honest, there was imdb for movies and is much more reliable and extensive in terms of movie information. Screened always seem like the WM site that didn't need to exist.

@fisk0: It isn't community run anymore and hasn't been solely community run for awhile. Tom Pinchuk has been doing videos for AV for several years now and the revamped Youtube series will be headed by him I believe. So he's their "host" essentially.

RIGHT! I forgot a few years back I actually posted a video of him declaring him to be the Jake Gyllenhaal of anime!

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah. I listened to that podcast and they had some cool video features.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The writing was on the wall for AV when Gia Manry and John Martone were kicked out, essentially leaving the site in a state of leaderless anarchy. Still, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. Tom Pinchuk put up lots of video content (and will continue to do so, from what I hear), @takashichea did the thankless work of keeping the wiki up and the community together with a few other mods, I even managed to keep a semi-monthly community podcast going for just over a year before I got bored and handed the reins to my co-hosts (look up the "Bravo Whiskey podcast," they did a better job archiving that one than I did for its originator). On a smaller note, it also convinced me to finally sign up for Giant Bomb and I made a few more "internet friends."

Having said that, a common refrain I heard from third parties (especially after Gia and John were gone) was that AV wasn't quite sure what it wanted to be: A wikipedia for anime/manga? There were already plenty of sites for that. Maybe it could've worked as a detailed episode guide site but there were too few people willing to cover that angle for nothing more than fake internet points, especially with regards to less-popular anime. A place to discuss anime/manga? Unless you were there to roleplay/battle there wasn't much discussion going on in the forums. As for user/community reviews, MyAnimeList has that stuff on lock (for better or worse). An anime/cosplay photo gallery? That led to some serious disdain from GB as well as getting the site blacklisted on several internet filters after several users abused it for...darker ends. At least until our former backend wizard Ethan stepped in (then when he left, the creepers came back).

Tom, bless his heart, tried to keep up the video host/personality side of things on the site after it was used as a dumping ground for GB interns who were literally copy-pasting Funimation video ads on the site as "content." Even so, the videos were/are pretty lo-fi compared to the previous taped stuff, let alone what GB has now, and they're lucky if the youtube hits ever break into the thousands. Maybe it'll change now that he's become the self-appointed Shogun of what remains of AV, but I don't know.

Wow, that was a lot of words. In short, AV was another cool idea that got knocked off course really early and never quite found its way back, especially after the Whiskey Media split.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By chrissedoff

Please tell me this means that anime will stop existing.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Please tell me this that anime will stop existing.

"this that anime will stop existing."

jabr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anime will outlive wrestling.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jabr said:
@chrissedoff said:

Anime will outlive wrestling.

Oh my God do I even dare to dream of a world without anime or wrestling?

But, in all seriousness, it's too bad that Anime Vice got the shaft. I've never visited the site, but the people who did probably really enjoyed it.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By killroycantkill

AnimeVice was really fun in the beginning when I was focusing on the wiki and stuff like that. But after a while, when I wanted to check out other parts of the site, I noticed they didn't really have any video content, and in a lot of the written content they relied too much on memes, which was really off putting to me. I felt the whole part of GiantBomb, Screened, Comic Vine, and Anime Vice were the personalities, and Anime Vice didn't really have any of those in my opinion.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another from the Whiskey posse bites the dust... sad to see the site go.

Edit: Just went to Anime Vice to see what was up and I love that it still looks the same as I remember. Coloured names and everything. Damn.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The website design is still better than current Giantbomb.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Ah yes, Animevice. I once made a dumb joke about Bidoof and won a blu ray copy of Afro Samurai that I can't watch.

Rest in peace.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hassun