#1 Edited by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

The two people that work for animevice ((gia and john)) left to become a teacher and something else.
I knew it would not last very long. It didn't have the staying power that the other sites have.

EDIT: This just in
they did not just leave, they were laid off

#2 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Gia and John weren't the only people there writing stuff, but they were the main ones. The small community may be able to sustain itself without them, but it's not guaranteed. The wiki part doesn't seem to have been a great success, and since there's no API that limits the usefulness of the content that does exist.

#3 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1657 posts) -

D:

#4 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

#5 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6399 posts) -

I didn't know that because I don't go on their but that sucks if its true.

#6 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -
@nofx4208 said:
" D: "
>-+D:) == 

Scary. Maybe they can hire newbies to write for the website? 
#7 Posted by MercuryCrusader (257 posts) -
@LordAndrew: Anime Vice's Wiki is pretty terrible, mostly because the community there seems to only give a shit about a couple different shows, and/or only know stuff about Evangelion, Gundam Wing, Naruto, or whatever people like these days.  For example, I looked up Combattler V, and the page is literally some guy saying "it's a bad knock-off of Battle of the Planets".  Welp.
#8 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" Gia and John weren't the only people there writing stuff, but they were the main ones. The small community may be able to sustain itself without them, but it's not guaranteed. The wiki part doesn't seem to have been a great success, and since there's no API that limits the usefulness of the content that does exist. "
well I seriously doubt there will be anymore podcasts or videos
#9 Posted by RandomInternetPerson (779 posts) -

:D

#10 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

awww that sucks. i never went there. i don't really like anime either so u can see that i would not go there. i do check on the small things on the bottom part of gaintbomb.

#11 Posted by JakJ (1002 posts) -
@RandomInternetPerson said:
" :D "
#12 Edited by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

I think I've lost the ability to feel because I feel nothing.

#13 Posted by YetiAntics (1491 posts) -

it needs an anime endurance run. 
then it will get hits like no tomorrow.
#14 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

This is pretty disappointing, as I really enjoyed some their video features. Plus, Gia was one of the few female Whiskey Media writers. Look at Giantbomb, this place is filled with duders!

#15 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -

They were actually laid off.      :(                Gia has her own site now, Anime Briefs.

#16 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@JJOR64:
Wait, so what is going to happen to Vice?

#17 Posted by demonssoulfood (59 posts) -

life rolls on

#18 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

It's disappointing, but at the same time, when I perused the site, I found the structure of the wiki rather obtuse, particularly in regards to episodic series, which kind of put me off.  There's also the fact that a lot of the users on the site are simply into shows that either don't interest me or that I've never heard of.  I imagine it's kind of like being the only guy with a Master System in a room full of NES owners.  I say "Naruto", they won't shut up.  I say, oh, I dunno, "Lily C.A.T." and they all look at me like I just arrived from Saturn.

#19 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" They were actually laid off.      :(                Gia has her own site now, Anime Briefs. "
ooh really?  tested better watch out
#20 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" They were actually laid off. "
Were they really? Then maybe Whiskey Media should consider staying small like they've previously stated they would. That doesn't bode well for future Whiskey Media projects.
#21 Posted by Yummylee (22062 posts) -

Shame. Site didn't look like much besides it's quirky articles the staff would post up. 

#22 Posted by CoverlessTech (747 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" They were actually laid off.      :(                Gia has her own site now, Anime Briefs. "
ooh really?  tested better watch out "
Tested is doing much better then Anime Vice. So is Comic Vine.
#23 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

Jesus, that's a bit messed up. While I didn't visit the site, I did listen to the podcast. I learned about Chi Sweet Home from them which is damn near impossible not to make me smile. I'm only curious how the site will progress.

#24 Edited by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@CoverlessTech said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" @JJOR64 said:
ooh really?  tested better watch out "
Tested is doing much better then Anime Vice. So is Comic Vine. "
good I like will smith of tested better than all of animevice
#25 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

giant bomb is safe. but maybe we could send all the people that love talking about anime here, over to anime vie and keep it alive. 

still sucks to see a whiskey site go down

#26 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" giant bomb is safe. but maybe we could send all the people that love talking about anime here, over to anime vie and keep it alive.  still sucks to see a whiskey site go down "
oh don't worry giantbomb is THE site 
#27 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" giant bomb is safe. but maybe we could send all the people that love talking about anime here, over to anime vie and keep it alive.  still sucks to see a whiskey site go down "
I don't know how well that would go, given that Giant Bomb has cultivated a veritable army of hivemind zealots that think anime is for jerks and have nothing more to add to any discussion on the topic because Jeff once made that comment on video.
#28 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Never really went there much. All the news articles are overblown and ridiculous and there wasn't anything too interesting going on.

Still sucks for the dudes over there. Hopefully they'll find a few new people to run the site.

#29 Edited by Ignor (2372 posts) -
"Do you like H?"
#30 Edited by Apathylad (3067 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

I remember Gia saying something about being laid off on twitter, but her overall post made it sound like she left by choice.   
Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed that things turned out this way for animevice.com. I wonder what stopped it from taking off...

Dear Anime Vice Users,

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again to start this letter: I love you guys. Your enthusiasm for anime, manga, and Jpop culture has helped fuel mine for the duration of my time here at Anime Vice.

However, that time is now coming to an end and I will be moving on to a new project. Though I’ll be gone from the news and video pages, I'll still pop in here and there as a user. You can also continue to contact me via PM here,  e-mail, or at a new project I’m playing with at  AnimeBriefs.com. We’re also available on Twitter at  giapet and  JohnMartone. There is no way that you won’t find SOME way to get in touch with us.

While we’re both sad to be leaving the Anime Vice news page, John and I are each excited at the opportunities now available to us—John’s looking at a teaching position –and I promise you’ll hear about all our goings-on. Meanwhile, you can keep hanging out here at Vice, commenting on newsposts and the forums, filling out the database, etc. The main difference to you will be that John and I won’t be on the news or video pages—even though we’re still around.

John promises he’ll write, and by that I mean he plans to offer up his own letter to you in a day or so. As for me—thanks for your continued enjoyment of AnimeVice.com, and we’ll be seeing you around!

Love and Moogles,

gia

#31 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Ryax said:
I don't know how well that would go, given that Giant Bomb has cultivated a veritable army of hivemind zealots that think anime is for jerks and have nothing more to add to any discussion on the topic because Jeff once made that comment on video. "
well anime is for jerks but all facts aside. you can be part of anime vice and not have to worry about the anime haters giving you shit over there. and you can give it a better community. but really i dont care cuz like jeff said " Anime is for jerks"
#32 Posted by MercuryCrusader (257 posts) -

It doesn't help that the anime boom is over.  It also doesn't help that the US anime industry is spiraling downwards into oblivion thanks to a combination of oversaturation and piracy.  The fans don't help matters much either.  They won't pay money to watch shit, and they stick to the same formulatic shows they always have.  Hell, look at some of the articles they have on Anime Vice.  There's a series of article about a guy watching Evangelion, of all things.  That's like if somebody here on Giant Bomb did a series of articles about their playthrough of Final Fantasy VII.

#33 Edited by Not_Rage (470 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:

" @JJOR64 said:

" They were actually laid off. "
Were they really? Then maybe Whiskey Media should consider staying small like they've previously stated they would. That doesn't bode well for future Whiskey Media projects. "
It sounds a alot like they were laid off.
#34 Posted by Xeiphyer (5606 posts) -

I have been wondering when this was going to happen, its sad. Animevice became too much of a clique I think

Also there are tons of people on giantbomb that are really into anime (myself included), but I never felt any urge to go to animevice.. at all. 
Of course I happen to know that a lot of people (again, myself included) couldn't stand the way gia said anime as 'onime'. That made me go fucking crazy.

As far as other whiskey media sites are concerned, I think Tested is off to an awesome start, they have a great team over there and have been spitting out amazing articles about shit I didn't know I cared about until I read it. Comicvine has Babs, so they will NEVER fail. 

SEE:

So yeah, I think the other whiskey media sites are totally fine.
#35 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I figured they'd combine it with Comic Vine to cut down on overhead since they're as close as any two Whiskey Media sites get. Or at least come up with one final site: Whiskey Forums. Where all the forums of the sites can be accessed from one convenient location. If you'd wanna talk anime, you'd just have to go to the anime section instead of navigating to a completely separate site and register for an almost identical forum.

#36 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Ryax said:
I don't know how well that would go, given that Giant Bomb has cultivated a veritable army of hivemind zealots that think anime is for jerks and have nothing more to add to any discussion on the topic because Jeff once made that comment on video. "
well anime is for jerks but all facts aside. you can be part of anime vice and not have to worry about the anime haters giving you shit over there. and you can give it a better community. but really i dont care cuz like jeff said " Anime is for jerks" "
Oh, get out of here, you troll.  You could at least stand to be more original.
#37 Posted by iAmJohn (6128 posts) -

I hope this doesn't come out the wrong way, but if they were fired, I'm really not surprised.  Nothing against any of the people who used to work there, but Anime Vice always struck me as the red-headed stepchild of Whisky, its wiki lacking and its editorial content sparse.  Of course, I'm a lapsed anime fan (and haven't watched a single one since high school ended) so one could argue that the content wouldn't mean anything to me anyway, but the site never seemed to get much love. 

One thing I've been worried about for about a year now is that Whisky is growing too fast; that instead of working on ironing out the problems with their main sites and making them the best they can be, they're too busy thinking about how they can get into other niches and are stretching themselves thin.  Giant Bomb and Tested are awesome stuff and Comic Vine (though that too suffers from the problem of "I'm a lapsed comic book reader") seems pretty legit, but I have to wonder how such a small organization can keep five sites trying to be major players running at the same time when there are places like 1UP that have a comparable number of staff working on making one site the best it can be.  If one of them has to be left behind so Screened or whatever else they're working on can live, I can see why Anime Vice is the one that has to go.

#38 Posted by ajamafalous (12039 posts) -

Always hate to see people lose their jobs, even if I have a distaste for their area of work. Best of luck to them.

#39 Posted by EliasT (671 posts) -

AnimeVice plain sucks, I couldn't care about it any less.

#40 Posted by Shadow (4981 posts) -

hm...can't say I didn't see that coming.  They just didn't do anything original or even interesting.  Besides, most anime sites have actual anime on the site.  Hard to compete with that just using writing and rediculous amounts of creepy cosplay photos..

#41 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -
@EliasT said:
" AnimeVice plain sucks, I couldn't care about it any less. "
You cared enough to view a thread about it. Checkmate
#42 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

I didn't like the site very much. I loved the idea of one of these for anime, but it just didn't pan out. The Wiki layout was a bit odd and they're right, a lot of these pages were barely fleshed out. Where Giantbomb and Comic Vine (I'm assuming on Comic Vine) have weird niche people who can come in and drop 1,500 wiki points on something you've never heard of, that site didn't.

Plus the staff wasn't as interesting, if you ask me.

#43 Posted by EliasT (671 posts) -
@HypoXenophobia said:
" @EliasT said:
You cared enough to view a thread about it. Checkmate "
Fuck you, I'm bored.
#44 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@Apathylad: 
Well the problem was that they did have videos or a podcasts for a long time and when they did they were not great.
They sorta lacked personality they did not have a Jeff or a Will or Ethan/Sara. 
The big problem was that anime in the US is not one one thousandth as big as it was just a few years ago.
It's like the Wii everyone was really into it and everyone had their feel good story but then time passed and so did interests.
#45 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -
@EliasT said:

" @HypoXenophobia said:

" @EliasT said:
Fuck you, I'm bored. "
  Okay
#46 Posted by EliasT (671 posts) -
@Romination said:
" I didn't like the site very much. I loved the idea of one of these for anime, but it just didn't pan out. The Wiki layout was a bit odd and they're right, a lot of these pages were barely fleshed out. Where Giantbomb and Comic Vine (I'm assuming on Comic Vine) have weird niche people who can come in and drop 1,500 wiki points on something you've never heard of, that site didn't.  Plus the staff wasn't as interesting, if you ask me. "
The staff wasn't just 'uninteresting,' they were painfully childish, annoying, unintellectual, and not to mention they were all elitist douchebags.
#47 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I occasionally watch anime and what the site chose to cover and how it was covered was completely unappealing to me. So uh. This isn't a charity over here.

#48 Posted by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

I take back my previous statement.  I like pictures of HOT women cosplaying, thus I feel bad that this has happened.

#49 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@EliasT said:
" @Romination said:
" I didn't like the site very much. I loved the idea of one of these for anime, but it just didn't pan out. The Wiki layout was a bit odd and they're right, a lot of these pages were barely fleshed out. Where Giantbomb and Comic Vine (I'm assuming on Comic Vine) have weird niche people who can come in and drop 1,500 wiki points on something you've never heard of, that site didn't.  Plus the staff wasn't as interesting, if you ask me. "
The staff wasn't just 'uninteresting,' they were painfully childish, annoying, unintellectual, and not to mention they were all elitist douchebags. "
You are contributing nothing to this thread aside from your own childish, annoying, unintellectual antics.  You are in fact the douchebag here.
#50 Posted by EliasT (671 posts) -
@HypoXenophobia said:
" @EliasT said:

" @HypoXenophobia said:

" @EliasT said:
Fuck you, I'm bored. "
  Okay "
No thanks, I'm not a homo.