Anita Sarkeesian Uses Artists work, Doesn't Give Credit.

• 158 results
bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bunnymud

http://cowkitty.net/post/78808973663/you-stole-my-artwork-an-open-letter-to-anita

To be fair, she hasn't YET given credit.

EDIT:

From the Artist's twitter:

UPDATE: I've heard from @Femfreq, and we're going through the particulars. Thanks for the support and understanding of copyright law. :)

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bunnymud said:

To be fair, she hasn't YET given credit.

You're kidding, right?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

lol

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

And so it begins...time to get the popcorn.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oops.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I'm a bit confused. "Fan" art or not, isn't is stealing (or whatever word you wanna use) if she uses any artwork that isn't hers for commercial purposes without giving credit? Has she given credit for the Valentine, Lara Croft, or that-weird-angel-chick either? Seems like more artists (or companies) should be getting upset. Or maybe not and it's totally legal or something? Man, I don't fucking know what's going on. I just fucking woke up

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

It's been a few months. I thought we were done with this.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boy

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can someone even sell fan art without the permission of the original copy-write holder? Like if I draw a picture of a fake-ass Mario surly I can't make money out of it without informing Nintendo.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

It's the curse of the eternal flame that never extinguish.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

No Caption Provided

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RazielCuts

Is this old news or just more of it? Didn't it also come out she didn't capture the footage of the games she referenced but instead used other youtubers footage? And then people wondered why she bought all those games with the kickstarter money if she wasn't going to use them to capture footage as well as just play them?

Both of these are kinda grey areas to me, footage someone else has captured of a game they don't own the rights to, the fan-art of a character they don't own the rights to. I guess she should've attributed all the found material to the creators in the credits, I lean more on the fan-art than the footage capture though. I don't think any money should exchange hands though, it's all pretty much fair use.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

@razielcuts said:

Is this old news or just more of it? Didn't it also come out she didn't capture the footage of the games she referenced but instead used other youtubers footage? And then people wondered why she bought all those games with the kickstarter money if she wasn't going to use them to capture footage as well as just play them?

Both of these are kinda grey areas to me, footage someone else has captured of a game they don't own the rights to, the fan-art of a character they don't own the rights to. I guess she should've attributed all the found material to the creators in the credits, I lean more on the fan-art than the footage capture though. I don't think any money should exchange hands though, it's all pretty much fair use.

The idea that she is going out of her way to ignore these claims is what I think is the real stinker here.

Also for curiosity's sake, did she ever complete her video series? I was only ever made aware of what she was up to via these forums funnily enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No! NO!

Don't start this. Not here. Not again.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I get a "aww geez, not this shit again" pic?

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Please just let this shit go away. The forum has almost been cured of this shit, don't start it up again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

Time to get the pop corn out again.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not surprised as this is not the first time she has stolen someone else's work. The fact that Anita is actively avoiding responding to any of the original creators of the work she is using only makes her look even worse.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I do like how any thread related to Anita Sarkeesian is treated like the equivalent of a forum board boogeyman. It's understandable for sure... Still, funny.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wrestlers are gross, man. Bodybuilders in general creep me the fuck out.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bigjeffrey

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many of us may have reservations about some of her views but this is petty.

/Thread

Please?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Did she ever finish her video series? Last I was aware she did part 3 or 4, is that all she was going to do? Because that seems light for how much money she got from kickstarter.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By geirr

It is really annoying when people steal and/or use your art (be it fan art or not) without permission - a small request can avoid a lot of grief. In this case the drawing has even been modified so, laws aside, hopefully Anita recognizes that stealing and defacing is wrong and responds to the artist.

I also love the bittersweet irony of this story considering the victim's gender.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Darji

@yummylee: No she usually releases a video when some event comes up so I expect some new one during GDC or at latest at E3. That is how it was in the past.

As for the claim. This is months old and she usually should know about since she did University work before.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

And thus doom fell upon the world.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet so like now we can just diss her and say whatever we want right? YO IMA BURN THIS MOTHER DOWN

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet so like now we can just diss her and say whatever we want right? YO IMA BURN THIS MOTHER DOWN

I could do that before because I think her arguments of all her videos not only the video game ones are really really stupid to begin with.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@darji said:

@geraltitude said:

I could do that before because I think her arguments of all her videos not only the video game ones are really really stupid to begin with.

Yeah duder they are, I was just making a joke that this topic came across as Look A Mistake Let's Attack Her! which is just so petty it makes me exhausted.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wrestlers are gross, man. Bodybuilders in general creep me the fuck out.

If bodybuilders freak you out, Frank Yang will be a strong candidate.

Loading Video...

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By themangalist

I don't like what Anita Sarkeesian is doing, but I can't help but think that the artist is only throwing a fit publicly because he doesn't like what she's doing either, and tries to challenge her "academia cred". I wouldn't care if my work gets put in a, let's say, red letter media video.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw the update. Anyone who uses a smiley face in text usually sucks. So that person probably sucks. That's all.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thoroughly dislike what shes doing and how shes doing but Jesus man let this shit go. I doesn't affect you and posting stuff like this is toxic, as nothing good can come from this.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By oldenglishc

She can say whatever she wants about video games, but making fun of Rad Spencer's dead wife is unforgivable.

Edit: And the GIF didn't copy. Kind of hurts the joke.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

People, this isn't an "Anita is the devil" thing, it's a very high profile business using someone's art with no permission or credit given thing. That's always important. Even the artist isn't raging against Anita in any way. From her blog (because everyone here clearly didn't bother to read it):

How do I deal with my artwork being stolen?

So… I just found my old Dragon’s Lair fanart is being used without my permission in advertising for a very successful Kickstarter project… since 2012.

I don’t know how to approach this. On one hand, the project had a message I can identify with. On the other, no credit was given, my signature was removed, and they made $150k+

(To be fair: My memory is fuzzy, but I don’t remember giving permission and haven’t found any e-mails yet reminding me that I did. :/ )

Silliest Part: they stole my fanart (drawn by a me, a woman and freelance video game artist) to use in marketing material to illustrate sexism in video games. Was it assumed that a man had drawn it, and so it would be ok to use without permission to illustrate a point? >.>

Copyright law is law, regardless of gender. I didn’t design or create the character, but I did create that drawing AS A TRIBUTE to the character and not for commercial use. :/

Suggestions? :/

The issue also isn't the legality of the artist's original fan art, as it was just something she drew for herself and never intended on selling. Then whoever made the Tropes v. Women logo found that image, deleted her signature from it, and used it in a for-profit situation. Clearly, bad news.

It's important that these breaches of acceptable use are always followed up on to maintain the integrity of creative works everywhere.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't like what Anita Sarkeesian is doing, but I can't help but think that the artist is only throwing a fit publicly because he doesn't like what she's doing either, and tries to challenge her "academia cred". I wouldn't care if my work gets put in a, let's say, red letter media video.

The artist is a woman and has no real problem regarding Anita's video series except using her art without permission or giving credit to the artist. She does wonder if Anita simply assumed that the artist was a man like you have done. This isn't an issue of discrediting Anita, people can critic her work easily without pointing this out. This does illustrate how Anita handles the use of other people's work. Nothing more.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Whether or not you agree with Anita or feminist theory altogether has NOTHING to do with this thread. This is about a copyright issue, and the following debate concerning the legality and morality of the situation.

Honestly, I came into this thread to defend her for using other you tube videos in her video series, a practice that many internet personalities seem fine with, and nobody cares about it when they do it. Then I found this, which is honestly much more of a gray area.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anita Sarkeesian semi-annual update:

She still sucks.

/thread

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Darji

@spaceinsomniac said:

Whether or not you agree with Anita or feminist theory altogether has NOTHING to do with this thread. This is about a copyright issue, and the following debate concerning the legality and morality of the situation.

Honestly, I came into this thread to defend her for using other you tube videos in her video series, a practice that many internet personalities seem fine with, and nobody cares about it when they do it. Then I found this, which is honestly much more of a gray area.

She intends to use these videos for Social woman study classes at Universities. And if you do this with out giving credit you would have failed at University. It is a NO GO there.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't worry. People will continue to defend her even though this isn't the first time she's done something like this. What a wonderful person. *rolls eyes*

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By octaslash

@darji said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

She intends to use these videos for Social woman study classes at Universities. And if you do this with out giving credit you would have failed at University. It is a NO GO there.

Seriously, any college would destroy you for doing something like this. Regardless, I don't think videos on Youtube are covered by any fair use for education/research laws, so that's a double no-no.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SharkEthic

@themangalist said:

Two things:

1. The artist's a she
  2. You're assuming the artist agrees with Anita's means of doing things, which by now, seems like a 50/50 type of deal. And seen as the artist produced a work that Anita would define as "part of the problem", piled on top of Anita actually stealing said work, I'm guessing "throwing a fit" isn't exactly what's happening here.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

But Anita did something and we as responsible adults simply must bring it to GiantBomb.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CashBailey

She's been a fraud since day one.

Why would anyone be surprised?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Milkman

As soon as I saw this, I knew you dudes would be all over it. Surprised it took as long as it did, to be honest.

Anyways, have fun!