Anna Gunn thinks you hate Skyler because she's a woman.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@customotto: Again, I don't care about you "picking" on me at all, it is just a bit silly. This will be the last reply I make to you on this as we've officially shit up the thread with this nonsense. Congrats to the both of us.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By Itwastuesday

I might say no if most of the comments about her character I see on the internet wasn't just a bunch of disgusting garbage. I think you could argue that it's just the internet being generally disgusting rather than being misogynistic and disgusting. I'm not going to ponder the distinction.

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By customotto

@amikron said:

@customotto: Again, I don't care about you "picking" on me at all, it is just a bit silly. This will be the last reply I make to you on this as we've officially shit up the thread with this nonsense. Congrats to the both of us.

I love the use of quotes like you weren't the one that said people were picking on you. An excellent last reply. :)

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@yummylee said:

Buncha cunts, the lotta ya.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I approve of both of these videos

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Amikron

@itwastuesday: The internet is terrible, we should really all go outside.

edit: Shit wait, I'm outside on the internet! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW!

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

Anna Gunn thinks you hate this thread because the internet.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Disaya

@amikron said:

@jakob187 said:

In Breaking Bad, no one is innocent.

I think this is the key thing many are missing here. Walt may be a bad person, but Skyler is downright shady in her behavior also.

Literally no one in this thread is missing that point. We all know that everyone on the show has done their share of bad decisions and actions, Walt especially for obvious reasons. No one is calling Skylar a saint, far from it, but some people seem to think that she is the worlds biggest bitch because 1. she slept with another guy and 2. she doesn't willingly go along with Walt on his crazy drug ride and instead fights against it. While he continues to kill and destroy, but it's ok because people think he's a "badass". That isn't great reasoning.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@amikron said:

I love the use of quotes like you weren't the one that said people were picking on you. An excellent last reply. :)

You're one of those people who just has to get the last word in aren't you?

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@disaya: Well it is in the rules, if you're a badass you get to do things like that. Skylar just needs to do a class change to badass and grind out some levels so she can play too.

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By customotto

@customotto said:

@amikron said:

You're one of those people who just has to get the last word in aren't you?

Nah

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@golguin said:

One of the main reasons why I don't like Skyler is because she was actively hating on Walt despite everything he was doing for her and the family. She treated him like shit through most of the series and Walt just had to bear it all because he was ultimately doing it all for his kids.

I was going to respond to one of your longer threads, but the flaw of your argument is all contained here.

She isnt hating on Walt for what he is doing for his family, it's how he is doing it for his family. It's all fine and dandy that he says he is doing all of this for his family(which is debatable from season 2 and on), but he is doing highly illegal activity that has resulted in the deaths of hundreds of people and also has made him and his family a target from numerous parties.

Skylar was completely rational in how she reacted to Walt.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Ares42

I find it fascinating that people judge how much they hate or love characters on a TV show based on their morality... How can you even watch a show like Breaking Bad and not completely hate it if that's your measurement ? If you ask me, Walt might've done a ton of bad shit but that's exactly why I love the character. One of my absolute favorite side characters on the show is the guy Bill Burr plays, and he is nothing but a relentless criminal. If I would hate a character on a show it would be because they were uninteresting or annoying. Someone like Masuka from Dexter comes to mind.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#113  Edited By dethfish

I don't hate Skyler for being a woman or for the actions her character does in the show. I just think she is a boring character. In past seasons I've wanted to skip through scenes with her in it because I just don't care. Only recently has she even become somewhat interesting to me.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Amikron

@ares42:

The whole laying on the giant stack of money with Huell thing from last week was HILARIOUS. Great actor, he really does a good job when he's on screen.

I also really like Marie and her purple obsession for some reason too.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well of course lots of people don't like Skyler. I dont think its because she's a woman. It's because she often actively or passively works against Walt, the main character of the show.

Though I'll admit I hated her when she was banging that guy who i cant remember his name. Cheating is fucked up. After that whole arc i think she's a pretty good character and aside from that one thing I think she's reacted pretty well. It is weird the thing i found most morally wrong in the entire show is the cheating....

I like her current character though.

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with her 100%. People who have such a negative emotional reaction to a character behaving in pretty understandable, justifiable ways need to examine their own emotions and try to see where it's coming from.

I'd guess it's a resentment towards the idea that a woman should dare to reign in any of your irresponsible whims.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amikron said:

I also really like Marie and her purple obsession for some reason too.

God I feel so dumb, I didn't even notice her purple obsession for the longest time! But yeah I also really like that detail for some weird reason.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#118  Edited By leebmx

@leebmx: Are you kidding? Her stated reason why people don't like her is that they don't like "strong, non-submissive women". There are no other reasons given. If you don't like Skylar, it's because she's a woman.

@milkman said:

It could not be more obvious that some people (NOT ALL) simply hate Skyler because she is a woman.

^

The amazing thing is, is that if the roles were reversed, we would be called misogynists for supporting a show that depicts women (not a female character, all women) as violent and selfish tyrants.

So no mention of the m-word then. You'll also notice @milkman posted after my last post. There's no need to just focus on the extreme end of these arguments to try and make people look crazy. Why not deal with the substance of what they are saying. Oh and if you haven't watched the majority of the show, its kind of hard to take your view of it that seriously.

Your last point is so far off the mark. It would be amazing if they made a show like this with a woman as the central character.

The fact is, as much as I like Breaking Bad, they do not do a very good job of writing female characters that you would like to spend any time with. This is what is causing the problem. I think a lot of people watch the show and enjoy it only for the drug-dealing adventure and action, viewing it as a kind of caper show rather than seeing anything beneath the surface. Therefore they see characters like Skyler as interfering in the fun and so dislike them. She is cramping Walter's style, so to speak. The is unfortunate because the nagging wife is a typical sterotype used to belittle women and I think a lot of people are seeing the show through these predjudices and assuming Skylers attitude is part of her being a woman. The fact that the character has received a lot of abuse and hate, pointedly referencing her being a woman proves this I think. The idea of men being actors and women being acted against is very much to the fore in Breaking Bad and it would be interesting to see if it is challenged in the final series.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@martyarf said:

A huge amount of the reaction that Skylar provokes is fundamentally misogynist: you will hear her called a "bitch", a "cunt", and so on endlessly. Walt - who let us not forget, is a multiple murderer, abuser, who threatens people regularly, is extremely manipulative and at this point seemingly divorced from reality - is held up by many (in countless threads like these) as some kind of badass, a renegade who has to Do Bad Things But Is Ultimately Good. These same people probably think Don Draper - a misogynist, cheating, abusive, lying advertising executive is also some kind of hero.

Complex shows: The Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire, nearly anything you can name, do not have heroes. They all have fundamentally immoral characters that you are tricked into sympathizing with. It is a hallmark of 20th century fiction. If you're going to defend Walt to the end, you should at least be aware of the genre conventions that you're in the process of ignoring.

You can call a woman a "bitch" or a "cunt" and not be "fundamentally misogynist." The word misogynist means that you hate women, not that you hate a woman. Do you automatically assume that a woman is engaging in misandry when she uses the words "dick" or a "prick" to refer to a man?

At the same time, Anna Gunn may have a point, but I think it has more to do with someone working against the protagonist, rather than a hatred of women.

There is a segment of viewers with these sort of "anti-hero" shows that seems to get extremely upset when someone close to the protagonist tries to uncover their secrets, and questions their lies. Even more than Skylar, I saw this a lot with the television show Dexter and the character of Rita. I watched the first four seasons of Dexter without reading a word about the show, and I was SHOCKED to find out how many people absolutely hated Rita.

But after all the stances I've taken against feminism on this forum--particularly gender feminism--I'm happy to say that I personally LOVE Skylar's character, and I loved Rita's character even more. I was on Skylar's side every step of the way in questioning Walter's lies. She's done some awful things at this point, and she has clearly chosen to walk with Walter down his road to hell, but shades of gray are everywhere in Breaking Bad, and she's certainly not immune to them.

For all their disagreements and fighting, Skylar is the perfect Bonnie to Walter's Clyde. The stance that she took with Hank in the last episode made that more clear than ever.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@disaya: Something about seeing Hank sitting at the kitchen table in that house where almost everything other than Hank is purple amuses me. I think secretly Marie is a Saint's Row fan.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@amikron said:

@disaya: Something about seeing Hank sitting at the kitchen table in that house where almost everything other than Hank is purple amuses me. I think secretly Marie is a Saint's Row fan.

I have a feeling that it's no secret. I could absolutely see Marie being a video game nerd. Playing Rage with a light gun with Jesse.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling that it's no secret. I could absolutely see Marie being a video game nerd. Playing Rage with a light gun with Jesse.

This needs to happen.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She definitely made some good points. I'm not so sure about the whole feminist approach she took. I think it's mostly because people don't see the situation from her point of view. They only take it from Walts because that is what was shown to us in the show. We don't think about what Skyler has witnessed and what she hasnt. She was never around for when Walt looked remorseful, or extremely sad. That is what put us, the viewer, on his side in the first place. We recognized that he decided to do some bad shit for the sake of his family. And I'm sure from Skyler's point of view, he just seemed like a man who wanted to make drugs and keep secrets from his family. Not to mention that getting into that business put their whole family in danger. In the last few episodes she seems to start coming around, now that she realizes he wanted to do it for the family.

also her jawline probably doesnt help her out none.

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martyarf said:

A huge amount of the reaction that Skylar provokes is fundamentally misogynist: you will hear her called a "bitch", a "cunt", and so on endlessly. Walt - who let us not forget, is a multiple murderer, abuser, who threatens people regularly, is extremely manipulative and at this point seemingly divorced from reality - is held up by many (in countless threads like these) as some kind of badass, a renegade who has to Do Bad Things But Is Ultimately Good. These same people probably think Don Draper - a misogynist, cheating, abusive, lying advertising executive is also some kind of hero.

Complex shows: The Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire, nearly anything you can name, do not have heroes. They all have fundamentally immoral characters that you are tricked into sympathizing with. It is a hallmark of 20th century fiction. If you're going to defend Walt to the end, you should at least be aware of the genre conventions that you're in the process of ignoring.

You can call a woman a "bitch" or a "cunt" and not be "fundamentally misogynist." The word misogynist means that you hate women, not that you hate a woman. Do you automatically assume that a woman is engaging in misandry when she uses the words "dick" or a "prick" to refer to a man?

At the same time, Anna Gunn may have a point, but I think it has more to do with someone working against the protagonist, rather than a hatred of women.

The terms "bitch" and "cunt" are gendered - they are used disproportionately against women. As you can see, there is no co-ordinated campaign calling Walter White a cunt or a bitch - no memes, no facebook groups, no thought so widespread that Bryan Cranston is writing articles for the NYT about those words being used against him. Skylar, on the other hand, provokes that response with incredibly uniformity - take this thread as evidence. Also, just for the record - misandry was a word made up in the late 1980s by mens rights activists looking to add an air of academic respectability to their anti-feminist work, and to support their (terrible) conclusion that sexism is simply two sides of a coin, a war that has waged back and forth throughout history. Would you lend credibility to a word that denotes bigotry against slaveowners? Please see this article for more information - http://www.adonismirror.com/10152006_leader_misandry_and_misanthropy.htm

The "dick" and "prick" derail is interesting - why is Skylar never called these words? Because they are gendered. I have seen it commonly expressed that "dick" and "prick", in particular, are masculine insults - they usually convey either a begrudging respect or other backhanded compliment about some aspect of the person's character - tenacious, or bloody-minded. Am I offended when people use those words? Not particularly, because - again - there are rarely campaigns and groups and memes based around calling villainous characters these things, besides which the elevated position that men, on aggregate, hold in society means that I wouldn't be too concerned about men. Owning 90% of the worlds property, being most of the worlds CEOs, politicians and richest people - they can fend for themselves on that delicate issue.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason I don't like Skyler is that she's not an intriguing, magnetic character like Walt and Jesse are. In fact, she's fairly ordinary. She's designed to be an obstacle in Walt's life, not as a likable character. The thing is, though, by supporting Walt's criminal activities, we cheer on his self-destruction and his endangerment of everyone close to him. Skyler's purpose is to nag Walter, always reminding Walter of what's at stake and the fact that what he's doing is insane. I think that Skyler's position as an antagonist on Breaking Bad is an intentional irony, somebody who we dislike even though she's an honest person and we know she's been right about everything. Walt, on the other hand, is out of his mind, vain, proud, secretive, devious, amoral and reckless. He's lied to himself every step of the way that he does what he does to help his family, even as he has put their lives in jeopardy time and time again. He turns down everyone else's charity because all he really wants to do is prove that he's the best at something. He's bitter at the fact that he spent his whole life not living up to his potential and he's seizing on the opportunity to build the empire he feels like he should have had with the start-up company he left prematurely. So I think we're meant to spend 90% of the time hoping Walter will take out his enemies and make a zillion dollars from his illegal meth operation while staying a step ahead of law enforcement, but then Skyler gives him shit for not getting his cancer treatment, for refusing his friends' generosity, for putting his life at risk and his family's lives at risk, and then we feel about it the way Walt would, but intellectually we all realize that what Skyler is saying is the most obviously true thing in the world, and we are confronted with the fact that this crime fantasy is bad and cannot possibly end well.

That said, a lot of people react to it in a very misogynistic way, calling her a bitch and so on, and these people are mostly incapable of realizing that Walter is the one who's been wrong every step of the way because she is a woman and he is a man and therefore they have pretty much missed the whole point of the show, which is a shame. But, some people are just idiots.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

As someone who's never seen the show, here's what I understand:

she is not hated because she's a woman, but the way and the amount she's hated is absolutely because she's a woman.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I don't watch Breaking Bad anymore; I couldn't deal with all the human ugliness coming from all the characters, certainly not just Skyler. But I hated Skyler first, during that family meeting where she wants Walter to go in for treatment and the rest of her family takes his side, and she tries to cancel the thing because it's not going her way. Skyler may not be the only bad character in Breaking Bad, but she's definitely one of them, and she doesn't do anything to redeem herself to the viewer. I'm not talking about things like taking care of her kids or doing the right thing, I'm talking about scenes that audiences are meant to enjoy, bits of comedy. Every scene Skyler was in (that I saw) was a total shit show, so it's no surprise she has negative associations to most viewers.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By deathstriker666

Why does this fucking matter? No, I'm curious. Who fucking cares what some actress has to say about her character? These are not real issues.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

she is not hated because she's a woman, but the way and the amount she's hated is absolutely because she's a woman.

As someone who's seen every episode... yeah that sounds about right.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I don't like her because her only real motivator seems to be fear. Her scenes are annoying and predictable.

Walt is a enormous piece of steamy shit too. At least his malevolence is occasionally entertaining. Doing it for the kids eh. alrighty then. Carry on with the robbery and murdering.

nsmb2_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By nsmb2_mario

Wow, I never saw that. Just calling someone a bitch or cunt is not misogynistic, is it? I always disliked her because she's boring and I dislike her acting. I find her character to be unnecessary. You could level criticism at the show for poor writing of female characters, there's no stand out for me in that show. But on the other side of things, is it exactly a positive that a show that is comprised almost entirely of villains has no real female antagonists?

I stopped watching the show around season 3 or 4. I started to dislike the turnaround from season 1's humble beginnings to this incredible super villain act. Ten times the exposition, stretching the dialogue and plot to an uncomfortable degree. As a result of that, it felt as if Skylar and other less significant characters took a higher share of the spotlight even if it didn't feel the natural progression for the show. That's a large part of why I stopped watching.

@veektarius: Agreed! Skylar never gets any lighter moments like Walt or Jesse do, and I feel that's largely the fault of trying to jam her into a starring role in later seasons.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#133  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@animasta said:

As someone who's seen every episode... yeah that sounds about right.

Agreed.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nsmb2_mario: Saints Row gang member Marie is pretty cool other than trying to snatch a baby from it's mother last week, but at least she had motivations for doing so.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate her because of all her terrible decisions.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Well I'm a straight male, so I think it would really presumptuous to assume that I would be intelligent enough to dislike someone based on their character flaws rather than simply because of their gender - after all, men are quite literally almost animals motivated purely by instinct. I'm surprised men were able to invent anything at all throughout the ages with such inferior intellects.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By azrailx

@martyarf: wait a minute, dont spread lies about a great show!

a lot of the main characters in the wire were "heroes", flawed, but still "heroes"

but I myself found having a hard time to care about the sopranos because everyone was an asshole so i didnt care who died, except for the semi-decent fat guy

edit: grammmmmmars

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#138  Edited By Dagbiker

As someone who has never watched, or cared about breaking bad, I think the title is incredably miss leading.

Perhaps It is because she is a woman, perhaps it is because the show is Walt centric, and so people empathize with Walt more. ( im guessing, because i have never seen the show, it could be like lost where every one was a 'staring cast member' but even then it was mostly Jacks point of view they followed ).

Or perhaps she is just a really good actor, or her dialog, and scenes are better then everyone else. But she isn't saying that.

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Well I'm a straight male, so I think it would really presumptuous to assume that I would be intelligent enough to dislike someone based on their character flaws rather than simply because of their gender - after all, men are quite literally almost animals motivated purely by instinct. I'm surprised men were able to invent anything at all throughout the ages with such inferior intellects.

Wow, sounds like you need to read some feminist literature - the problem is culture, not biology! I'd be happy to recommend something. You might start with some bell hooks - here is a great book (PDF).

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By jArmAhead

@digiwth said:

This may just be in my experience but a lot of the Skylar hate I see on the internets is something like: "WOW SKYLAR IS SUCH A STUPID WHORE BITCH FOR DOING THAT TO WALT."

I think she has a point.

I think it's fair to say someone is a stupid whore bitch for fucking another man just to get at their partner. I'd say just about the same thing if a man did it too. In fact, most people would, and the idea that most people think it's okay for dudes to cheat is hilarious. They really, really don't think that.

When I complain about characters in The Walking Dead being completely irrational dumbfucks, it comes from the same place as calling a cheating whore a cheating whore. If the name fits, ya know? It's not about putting down a woman because fuck women. It's about her being a sleazy person. It's about the writers knowing that a lot of the audience will have a personal reaction to that kind of event because of their own experiences in life. They relate, but that doesn't make them sexist.

She's sort of a bitch. I disliked her very early on. That's not sexist, it's just how she is written. I am sure that there is some tiny part of the "I hate Skylar" crowd that is just being actively sexist. But calling someone a bitch isn't sexist when it's true. Calling someone a whore isn't sexist when it's true. No matter what the reasons or circumstances, fucking someone else to mess with your partner is fucked, and even doing that to a generally bad person is still a really shitty, bitchy, whorey thing to do.

As someone who's been cheated on a few times (including with a guy that pretty much treated my girl like shit the entire time she and I were together, by a girl I was a couple of weeks from proposing to) I can say that when you pull that shit, you are worthy of just about any name under the sun. And the same goes if you're a dude and you do that shit. You're an asshole and a prick and a whore if you pull that shit as a man or a women.

Not to mention how incredibly unwilling she is to work with her husband and support him in the early days of his diagnosis. She kind of reminded me of my Aunt when she was engaged to pretty much the coolest guy I knew. He was a Marine, and a huge inspiration to me and a great friend to me when I was younger. His first couple of deployments were rough, during some of the fiercest fighting in the Iraq War. He made some mistakes, but my Aunt didn't seem to be able to see that there was more going on than the behavior, that there were deep scars causing that behavior. I'm not saying that it or Walt's behavior should be excused by any means, but just that it's hard not to see someone as a bitch (or an ass) when they don't stick through the hard parts of life with someone they have supposedly committed to.

So no, I don't think there's much sexism in the dislike for her character. I think she's a severe, bitch of a women who has the potential to be a good person but is dragged down by a lack of trust or empathy for her husband's situation and an inability to let go of those wrongs to make her own life for the good of the rest of the family when she has the chance.

I think part of Gunn's reaction is just a lack of understanding of the internet, seeing a couple of articles about how sexist the internet is (when it's mostly just a bunch of dumb troll kids spewing things out just because someone'll give them some attention for it). And partly speaks to her maybe not totally understanding the character from the writers' perspective. Which is probably why she does such an excellent job with the character and why despite hating her guts I think the character is still an excellent one. She feels very real in the way she fucks up and she does it in an interesting and intense way rather than the usual boilerplate "I cheated on you but I'm so sorry oh please forgive me!" or some other trope of female characters.

And I think a little bit of it is the feminist position that any negative portrayal of a women character is somehow bad for their gender. If anything, we need more awful women in the media. I'm tired of all the bad guys being dudes. Not because I think it's unfair (though it is a bit silly) but because diversity is more interesting.

And I think people are seeing the "She doesn't stand by Walt" thing completely the wrong way. I doubt anyone really thinks she should stick by him and support him through to the end, but she never really stands by him. She's a bitch as soon as he starts displaying pretty common behavior for someone with a terminal illness. Instead of being understanding that she can't possibly understand his position and trying to be accommodating despite the stresses, she is paranoid and distrustful and at times just plain bitchy to Walt. All while he's trying to figure out how to do all of these things in a way that is best for his family. He screws up, but he does it out of love for his family. She treats him like crap on several occasions because the poor guy, who just found out he's dying, is going through a major life crisis. And he rarely does anything to spite her or hurt her except when he's pushed to snapping by HER behavior.

And later as Walt because what is clearly a terrible, terrible person she may not stand by his side, but she also doesn't get the fuck out when she should. She puts not only herself in that situation, but the rest of the family that she and Walt had created. All of which sounds pretty selfish and terrible to me. Calling her a bitch isn't sexist. Girls call guys pigs and pricks and all other sorts of things and that is never sexist because it's always accurate, obviously, but when someone wants to say that someone's being a bitch suddenly it's sexist. The character is sort of a bitch, totally a whore, and probably a bit paranoid. She's well written, very well played, and contributes to the story. And that she isn't liked proves all of that because she isn't supposed to be some strong female role model. She's a largely flawed character. Not everything needs to fight for lady power or whatever. Sometimes a character is just a bad person. That's often good when done right, especially in cases like Skylar. Even if I yell at the show when she does something obnoxious. I do the same with Walt sometimes.

I think this is an interesting story to come out after the Last of Us story about how none of the females were especially flawed. Well here you go, we get a flawed female character and the fuckin' feminists are at it again. I'm a little tired of the idea that I'm sexist because I think a female character is this or that. Sexism, real sexism, is a pretty small minority. Sure there may be a little bit of subtle, unintentional, or barely noticed sexism in some of our behavior, but there's a difference between that and just thinking she's a terrible person because she's a female. Which I doubt most people do. If you had a male character cheating and failing to show empathy or patience for their dying spouse, people would also not like him. For the same reasons. Maybe the character would be a little different. Somewhat more belligerent than bitchy or something. But that's about as close to sexism as I see any of that going.

And can we also stop pretending that females have to be identical to males? Yes, women can be bitchy in ways that guys typically aren't, just like guys can be pricks in ways girls typically aren't. It's not sexism, it's basic biology. We're a little different. Don't make that shit out to be sexism. I see women posting on my Facebook wall about how guys are all pigs and slobs and pieces of shit far more than I ever see men posting about women belonging in the kitchen or are "cunts" or whatever. And obviously men and women are different. Some are less so, some are more so. It's not black and white, but there's definitely a point where the color changes on the spectrum and you're out of one and into the other, ya know?

I hope some day we get over this shit. The sooner we stop questioning what is and isn't subtle sexism the sooner we might get rid of the stupid tit-based art styles of the world and things that are actually clearly offensive.
Props to Gunn for an excellent character. She's a hell of an actress.

TLDR: Probably just that Walt being an asshole doesn't excuse her behavior any more than her being a bitch excuses his behavior. Now stop being lazy and read something! Or don't, this is kind of an unorganized rant/stream of thought.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dipping sticks, Skyler

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By martyarf
@jarmahead said:

@digiwth said:

This may just be in my experience but a lot of the Skylar hate I see on the internets is something like: "WOW SKYLAR IS SUCH A STUPID WHORE BITCH FOR DOING THAT TO WALT."

I think she has a point.

I think it's fair to say someone is a stupid whore bitch for fucking another man just to get at their partner. I'd say just about the same thing if a man did it too. In fact, most people would, and the idea that most people think it's okay for dudes to cheat is hilarious. They really, really don't think that.

Cool, I hope you'll be showing me all the posts calling Walt a stupid whore bitch for trying to kiss Ms. Molina. Also all the posts calling Don Draper a stupid whore bitch. Also all the posts calling Tony Soprano a stupid whore bitch, or Jimmy McNulty, or Bunk Moreland, or...

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure it's possible to use the words "bitch" and "cunt" without being misogynist, but they are a pretty good clue, and when they come up so often against a certain person I'd say it's a strong indicator.

Sure you could call Walt a prick, or a dick, but those terms don't seem to come up as often. Instead he's called a horrible, prideful person, a murder, a liar, and an asshole, which are all pretty gender neutral.

When you call someone a term that reduces them to their genitals, yes, that's a clue that you're evoking a specifically gendered context.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No, I hate Skyler because she is an unlikable character, not because she's a woman. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is not sexism.

Lively

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Lively

@nekroskop said:

No, I hate Skyler because she is an unlikable character, not because she's a woman. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is not sexism.

Maybe your dislike of the character isn't coming from a misogynistic place, but a lot of other people clearly have that problem.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nekroskop: If the douchebags in this thread have taught me anything, everyone hates women for being women. Obviously you're just masking your sexism with logic.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Some of the people who watch this show scare me.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#149  Edited By JasonR86

@animasta said:

Eh, maybe.

You see, I think people who hate any of the characters in the show are as out of whack as those that like any of the characters. They are all compromised and why they do what they do is completely understandable even if the actions are poor and the judgments are bad. It's because these characters are written as human beings both good and flawed. The only reason people side with Walt and Jesse more than Skyler is that they are the focus of the show and were made much more sympathetic at the start of the show (especially Walt).

So it might have something to do with her being a woman but it seems just as likely to me that she is disliked because she was never developed as a character to sympathize with. She wasn't dealt a shitty hand like Jesse and Walt and didn't have as many shitty things happen to her out of the gate as those other two characters. Plus, her entire purpose for much of the show was to keep Walt from rising up and taking back power from the world that fucked him. Audiences sided with Walt out of the gate and Skyler wanted Walt, and immature audiences that can't separate their own wants from those of the main character of a piece of entertainment they watch, not to succeed.

BUT, I think the biggest, most important thing of all of this is that these people who hate her are on the internet and the internet is where idiots go to spew their nonsense. She said tens of thousands of people have 'liked' a facebook page that dislikes her character? Over 6 million people watched the first episode this season. These tens of thousands then are a minority. A minority that is loud because, again, the internet exists for people to be morons out in the open without real repercussions.

So I guess in the end what she's really saying with this article is that a minority of the audience that watches Breaking Bad could be sexists. Just like a minority are likely racists, homophobic, and just all around assholes. So I can't really help but shrug at this article and discussions about it. AND NOW I'M PART OF THE PROBLEM BECAUSE NOW I'VE SPENT A BUNCH OF TIME TALKING ABOUT IT TOO!

fuck.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86: This is how the end of the world begins.