• 172 results
mrpeabody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By mrpeabody

You've really pulled back the curtain on this one. She has a partner that helps produce her videos AND she has pictures of her online from before 2012? Follow the money, friends, there's no telling how deep this conspiracy goes.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, you know how every business on earth was started by people using only their own money?

Complete non issue

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Please stop

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@amyggen: Better yet, this thread should probably just be locked.

HerpDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

God damn it, let this thread die!

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Darson

I'm starting to hate her because everyone won't stop bitching about her. I'm sorry, who were we talking about again?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

All I know is, AnonGamer sounds like a creep.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:
Loading Video...

My feeling every time this stupid fucking debate comes back up.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm starting to get really tired of the internet's hate boner for this woman. WHO CARES. Really.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

We've come a long way, guys.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean she's in if for the money? Oh you don't say?

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...What's the scandal, exactly?

Seems to be pretty vague slander in the direction of Sarkeesian as a con-artist or, perhaps more mildly, a world class troll. Now, world class troll I can get behind. There's no denying she is very skilled at pushing buttons to incite attention and discussion. Con-artist? nah. She hasn't done anything on that level of chicanery. She is following through on making the promised video series, after all. Con-artist takes money and vanishes into thin air.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This made me laugh.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#116  Edited By tourgen

That's the best dirt they could find? That's not even dirt. Just some random facts and some unfounded, weak assertions.

No reason to dig up dirt to discredit her. Her videos do a fine job of that on their own. They are a treasure trove of cherry picking, confirmation bias, goal post moving, argument from authority. There's probably a way to approach the topic reasonably and with some intellectual rigor. For the amount of cash she collected I think people may have expected that.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By WalkerD

I don't find it unlikely that she truly doesn't care about feminism and is just using her video series to make a quick buck. If she is doing that, good for her. I wish I could exploit people in a similar fashion and make an ass load of cash in the process. I aspire to be that person. If she does actually care about feminism, who honestly gives a shit? A difference in opinion isn't an uncommon occurrence and I don't see why this specific case is special at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So all this cyber stalking has revealed... what exactly?

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So all this cyber stalking has revealed... what exactly?

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By TheGorilla

Why would any reasonable person care? Doesn't change the validity of her pop culture criticism. The points she makes in her video series are valid and interesting no matter what her personality is or anything she might have done or believe. If people would just stop trying to harass her and discredit her they might see that she seems pretty cool.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hatking said:
Loading Video...

My feeling every time this stupid fucking debate comes back up.

that's becoming my feeling for a lot of issues in video game land.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is really the last thing you should have against her. Everyone wants to make money. and to support her cause she does this. This is not different than other big charity organisations or what not.. Seriously guys stop try to attack her because of the money she has gotten through clever marketing but rather think about her opinion and how wrong she is.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curiously enough. I recently learned what an ad hominem attack is. Even if true, Is this relevant to the points she's making?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

this is really the last thing you should have against her. Everyone wants to make money. and to support her cause she does this. This is not different than other big charity organisations or what not.. Seriously guys stop try to attack her because of the money she has gotten through clever marketing but rather think about her opinion and how wrong she is.

With even Darji not supporting the relevancy of this information, I think we're done here. Finally, something that both her supporters and detractors can agree on.

Curiously enough. I recently learned what an ad hominem attack is.

Welcome to your first step to a better understanding of debate tactics. For much more where that came from, see this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies#Informal_fallacies

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

the only scandal i witnessed was her capitalizing on troll comments to guilt people into donating to whatever kick starter thing she was doing. when she needs money or hits, she makes a troll vid, the trolls feed the troll, and the feminists cry and throw their money at her.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that babe single?

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By mtcantor

The intensely negative reaction to this article and topic ate reaffirming my faith in the gb community.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@ravenlight said:

Is that babe single?

Yeah, but you might want to wait a while. She just went through a nasty separation.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next you'll be telling me that she's a human being and we're all human beings too.

WesleyWyndam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By WesleyWyndam

Next you'll be telling me that she's a human being and we're all human beings too.

Speak for yourself!

darkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

Charity orgs, though, don't really have any questions towards them surrounding what they are using the money for. There's a question with this particular issue as to what the money is actually being used for. I think that's a legit question to ask. There have been fraudulent charities before (someone from Daily Kos pointed attention to a list of 50 of them, the top one had a promise to help terminally ill kids a la Make a Wish Foundation, so there are some horrible human beings that will use it as a front to swindle someone, let's not treat all of them as saints).

Like I said previously, though, I defend the man's right to say his opinion all he wants to, even if we won't necessarily agree to it, and there's not enough to warrant her arrest or anything like that. This, does, however, warrant an explanation from her. I know some things are better left unsaid, but my mind goes to Marie Antoinette and how she was accused of saying "let them eat cake". It was proven that she never said anything LIKE that, but she chose to not even address the rumor, and because of it, it was allowed to fester and grow like a virus that wouldn't go away. Soon, EVERYONE thought she was bad news, even when she did everything in her power to just govern the way she always had. Maybe it's best if she DID put this to bed and just say "hey, I know this is out there, this is the real story behind it" and explain the issue, and basically get ahead of anything that could happen. She knows she has enemies that would pounce at the very chance to expand on something like this. It's sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't, though. If you do address it, you give it legitimacy before anyone can prove if there was anything legit to the claim or not. But if you don't, you risk the cake scenario and allow others that also have an ax to grind (I bet Thunderf00t is making a video about it as we speak, and though I don't consider myself a hardcore enemy of hers, I'm thinking about making a video addressing this alleged scandal since I would like to know how we can be comfortable donating to her for future projects she would want to do). Even if there's no there there, she (and ONLY she, not anyone else defending a stance) might be served well to kill it before it grows.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By EXTomar

Kickstarter makes no distinction or restriction on whether or a project is a charity or private or for profit. Unless Sarkeesian said she is a charity (and importantly is seeking that legal tax status) and turned out to run it inappropriately then I'm unclear what the issue is.

Specifically to the OP: You seem to have this sense of entitlement just because this is public which is your mistake. Kickstarter projects are under no obligation to do anything more than what their Kickstart proposal promises. Sarkeesian, Lee, Garriot, etc do not owe you or anyone any explanations on things outside of KS project.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#134  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@darkpower: As far as I can tell, she never presented herself as representing a registered non-profit charity in her Kickstarter, and I still really don't see the relevance of a lot of the issues presented in that rambling Tumblr post.

PollySMPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#135  Edited By PollySMPS

Man, these people who have this raging hate boner for her really are scraping the bottom of the barrel. Well, I mean they've been scraping the bottom of the barrel ever since she first came to light, now they're just kinda digging in toward the Earth's core and probably on through to China at this rate.

Also, if we're gonna bitch about people using Kickstarter who already have money, let's take a look at people like Peter Molyneux. SCANDALOUS! Oh no wait, it's not scandalous. Peter Molyneux isn't Anita Sarkeesian.

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BREAKING SCANDAL: Anita Sarkeesian nourishes herself with the tears of emasculated lonely redditors, says she retreats to her sarlacc pit nightly to feast. Thousands of fedoras are said to be flying off the shelves as angry men iron their utilikilts and clean between the toes of their Vibrams, ready to post some cynical response videos on YouTube.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The La Li Lu Le Lo?!

Nah. This one's totally the Bilderberg Group. Which are a direct front for the Multinational Zionist Conspiracy. Duh.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just bullying

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how some people here, and Patrick on tumblr, are trying to turn this into some "see! woman haters!" when basically no one in this thread actually thinks there's any sort of scandal in this story and even her "haters" have dismissed it out of hand.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By EXTomar

Who is doing that? What tumblr post? A big issue with this highlight by me and many others on multiple occations is that Sarkeesian's detractors seem to care way more and are far interested in EVERYTHING SHE DOES than people who like what she is doing. And the irony of her message that "women are treated oddly in video games" shouldn't be lost on people because of this.

What I find interesting about this is specifically the KickStarter angle where people feel they have the right to information and things out of bounds just because it was KickStarter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@extomar said:

Kickstarter projects are under no obligation to do anything more than what their Kickstart proposal promises.

Hell, most times not even that.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Anita was The Man in the Iron Mask.

@somedelicook said:

When I was about 13, I used to go on a forum and say some really terrible things I never actually meant or completely changed views on. I'm almost 24 now, and I'm pretty sure that website still exists, so I'm scared shitless if I ever get famous or something and then that stuff is used against me.

I've learned to keep things anonymous and separate, that's for sure

Well, at the very least we know that you are or at some point were a deli cook.

The leash is getting tighter. You can run from us but you can't hide from us motherfucker.

darkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

What I find interesting about this is specifically the KickStarter angle where people feel they have the right to information and things out of bounds just because it was KickStarter.

Umm...actually, that aspect of this story is not exclusive to Anita. There have been several Kickstarters for game development that have seen the light of day. I don't remember which Content Patch it was, but I do recall TotalBiscuit saying something to that effect of people not being so inclined to fund Kickstarter projects because of too much risk for what could be little reward, with no protection for what could happen as an end result. As I said, this guy could be ranting more about the Kickstarter stuff than anything else, which I think is a really valid argument to bring up because if TB is also saying the same thing, I have to think that it's something that should be discussed. Just me. Might be for another thread, but it's worth debating.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm feeling a tiny bit of sympathy for Anita now. Great job, guys.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Meowshi

@walkerd said:

I don't find it unlikely that she truly doesn't care about feminism and is just using her video series to make a quick buck.

I find that very unlikely, considering her master's thesis was about feminism and video games.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Krullban

I don't want to make a new thread, so I guess I'll bump this. But she definitely doesn't play anything.

Loading Video...

She lies about playing and liking video games, and this is 100% proof.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By EXTomar

Congratulations! That is some Fox News Reporting(tm) right there.

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

FAKE GAMER GIRL ALERT

FunkyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By FunkyS

Bloody hell, can't we just let it go?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban:

Why you bumped this awful, AWFUL thread for something that actually is worth discussing is beyond me.

Anita Sarkeesian: "I am not a fan of video games."

"I would love to play video games, but I don't want to go around shooting people, and ripping off their heads, and it's just gross."

I would love to see the whole video that these quotes were taken from in their full context, but this is kind of damning evidence that she absolutely is lying about being a life-long fan of video games.