Anonymous and terrorism.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By l4wd0g

Well, great. Anonymous claims that they aren't terrorist, so they target Eric Hirshberg posting his personal information for everyone to see. Isn't that the very definition of terrorism? If you don't do what we say we'll harm you in some way.

Definition of TERRORISM

: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

Yep. That would make them terrorist.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By l4wd0g

Well, great. Anonymous claims that they aren't terrorist, so they target Eric Hirshberg posting his personal information for everyone to see. Isn't that the very definition of terrorism? If you don't do what we say we'll harm you in some way.

Definition of TERRORISM

: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Never say anything negative about Anonymous if you value your privacy. And don't be loosely associated with anyone who does either, apparently...

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Subjugation

Ugh, let's not go down this rabbit hole again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

One man's terrorism is another man's freedom fight

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish

By that definition the US Government is the largest terrorist consortium in the world.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jerseyscum

Didn't we already get Anon is Saint's Row the Third as adversaries? The skiddies with the day-glo outfits and the automatic weapons?

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Pibo47

@TeflonBilly said:

Pretty much.

@LordXavierBritish said:

By that definition the US Government is the largest terrorist consortium in the world.

Or the largest freedom fighting organization.

Fact is we will probably know if America really is the good guy in this fight or now. Ill let history decide that. But what i do know is that anonymous isnt the bad guy, the people trying to censor our internet are.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish
@Pibo47: Terror isn't black or white.

It is a visceral reaction.

Putting a gun to someone's head is an act that invokes terror, it doesn't matter if the person on the other side of the barrel is Osama fucking bin Laden.
Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

Anon is the CIA.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

@Pibo47 said:

@TeflonBilly said:

Pretty much.

@LordXavierBritish said:

Fact is we will probably know if America really is the good guy in this fight or now. Ill let history decide that. But what i do know is that anonymous isnt the bad guy, the people trying to censor our internet are.

And posting innocent peoples personal info is the right way to go about it? They are a bunch of 12 year olds with lax parental guidance, that make up convent reasons any time they feel they want to dick around on the internet.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Dagbiker said:

@Pibo47 said:

@TeflonBilly said:

Pretty much.

@LordXavierBritish said:

And posting innocent peoples personal info is the right way to go about it? They are a bunch of 12 year olds with lax parental guidance, that make up convent reasons any time they feel they want to dick around on the internet.

They're very smart 12 year olds. But they are 12 year olds.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pibo47

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Pibo47 said:

@TeflonBilly said:

Pretty much.

@LordXavierBritish said:

For the most part, anonymous targets are not innocent. Most the people they go after buy and sell our private information sold by companies like facebook. They are just returning the favor to the people who take part in monetizing our private info and freedom.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By justinnotjason

Did they really just release some dudes home address and phone number as retaliation? I mean Social Security number or Credit Card numbers would be fucked up but be retaliation. The worst someone could do with that information is mail him an angry letter. Dude probably lives in like a gated community and could change his phone number in like 20 minutes.

Whatever though, I can get behind almost anybody who is fighting for those who have no voice.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm not really sure who these people are. I assume they are 4chan. Generally, I quite like the encyclopedia dramatica stuff they put out. However when they start going about trying to change the world and make those "we have your son" Mel Gibson Ransom videos the motiveless anarchic nature that makes the whole culture appealing dissipates. I suppose they should get credit for wikileaks. Megaupload, that site should have been shut down years ago. It was clearly profiting from piracy. Likewise with the Piratebay.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheHumanDove

"A lust for vengeance"

So gay

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Pibo47 said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Pibo47 said:

@TeflonBilly said:

Pretty much.

@LordXavierBritish said:

For the most part, anonymous targets are not innocent. Most the people they go after buy and sell our private information sold by companies like facebook. They are just returning the favor to the people who take part in monetizing our private info and freedom.

'For the most part' is not the same as '100% of the time', and what they're doing is still against the law. So defending them is pretty much bullshit. Them going after companies because they don't agree with their practices does not automatically make them innocent.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By l4wd0g

@rebgav said:

@l4wd0g said:

the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

They aren't asking for anything though, are they? So isn't this just retaliation for a perceived slight? I don't see that in your definition. If they were asking for something and threatening to make public private information in order to get their way, wouldn't that be blackmail rather than terrorism? Or are you using terrorism as a catch-all now, 9/11 changed everything, etc?

@Pibo47 said:

@TeflonBilly said:

Pretty much.

@LordXavierBritish said:

Let's talk about terrorism for a minute.

A terrorist is someone who uses threats and violence to change the political landscape (by causing terror in the local populous).

Sometimes what Anonymous does is terrorism, but most often not, Usually they'll just embarrass entities to show they aren't as powerful as they think they are.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By konig_kei

Like all terrorists they just want attention.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g said:

A terrorist is someone who uses threats and violence to change the political landscape (by causing terror in the local populous).

So your original statement was false and you're basically talking out your ass.
audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By audiosnow

Remember when sixteen year-old smart kids made 64k demos?

I miss those days.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By I_smell

Oh shit, now 4chan can prank phonecall that guy!!! That was a fuckin lot o flashy CG just for that, Microsoft Sam. I'd almost come to the conclusion you're more interested in PLAYING COPS AND ROBBERS than actually doing anything worth talking about.