Any advice on getting a broken disc to work?

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Sick_J0ke

I was playing Assassin's Creed and I nudged my 360 over a bit for better placement (it was overheating on the carpet) and I heard a very nasty sound. The game froze and I opened the disc tray to see the disc scratched, but only on the outer edges of the ring. I put it in, and I get a screen saying "please insert dvd" assuming it doesn't work. I know most likely ima have to cough up $30 for a new one, but does anyone has any tricks that might make the game possibly run again? 

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I'm not sure, you could get one of those crack filling disk cleaners, but I find that they don't really work.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Hit it with a sledgehammer. Works every time.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By FlipperDesert

Try going to a game store, some of them have machines that shave a very thin layer of the disc off so the scratches go in most cases, they don't guarantee it'll work for circular ones like that but it's only a couple of pounds in most places here, and it's worked for my busted games every time.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5  Edited By dsplayer1010

Borrow a working copy of the game from a friend, install it to your hard drive, then you can play your copy off the hard drive. 

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kmdrkul
@natetodamax said:
" Hit it with a sledgehammer. Works every time. "
That wasn't the least bit original.  I don't think you even get points for effort =/

Anyway, your best bet from a pennysavers point of view is to do what dsplayer said.  The disk cleaning services provided by GameCrazy and EB Games and those places don't really work, at least in my experience. 
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By natetodamax
@kmdrkul: Funny, I don't remember trying to be original. Oh well.
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Player1
And I'm sure you've learned your lesson. But yeah NEVER NEVER NEVER even touch your xbox while a game is playing. :P
MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MC_Izawa
@kmdrkul said:
" @natetodamax said:
That wasn't the least bit original.  I don't think you even get points for effort =/Anyway, your best bet from a pennysavers point of view is to do what dsplayer said.  The disk cleaning services provided by GameCrazy and EB Games and those places don't really work, at least in my experience.  "
who are you to judge other users posts, and why do we care about your judgements?
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By subject2change

You can look at getting your disk resurfaced from a gaming store; gamestop/ebgames no longer does it to my knowledge. You can send it away to get it resurfaced as well; it'll be like 5 bucks + shipping or so.

You can also try the toothpaste trick; it worked for me with my copy of RE2 for PS1. Take white toothpaste (none of that gel shit) and rub it all over the bottom of the disk, let it sit for 5 minutes, using cool water rub all the toothpaste off, towel dry the disk (PAT IT, DO NOT RUB), let it sit for another minute or two and pop it back in. Worked for my freezing RE2.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Lashe

I know of a guy who swears by spraying the disc with Lynx (Americans - read: Axe, I believe?) Deodorant. Strangely works too.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Put some white tooth paste on it and scrub it in the crack and then wash it off.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kmdrkul
@MC_Izawa said:
" @kmdrkul said:
" @natetodamax said:
That wasn't the least bit original.  I don't think you even get points for effort =/Anyway, your best bet from a pennysavers point of view is to do what dsplayer said.  The disk cleaning services provided by GameCrazy and EB Games and those places don't really work, at least in my experience.  "
who are you to judge other users posts, and why do we care about your judgements? "
Because I'm holier than thou.  It's quite simple.  I judge you to in fact be quite stupid for not even knowing that.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kmdrkul
@Lashe said:
" I know of a guy who swears by spraying the disc with Lynx (Americans - read: Axe, I believe?) Deodorant. Strangely works too. "
I think I can remember someone from either here or GS to rub peanut butter on my scratched disk.  Strangely enough that went against my better judgement...
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nasar7
@Sick_J0ke: 
Step 1: Buy the game used or rent it
Step 2: Swap the discs
Step 3: Return it, say it was scratched, and get another rental or used game for free.
Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sick_J0ke

Ima try the toothpaste trick, if not the switching it with a blockbuster rental idea sounds good too. Thanks guys. 

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sick_J0ke

The toothpaste trick did nothing more than waste a good amount of toothpaste... I think Ima just switch it with a blockbuster rental. Unless anyone has some other creative ideas. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I once had a teacher who told the class that a good way to fix scratched CDs was to place them in boiling hot water for a couple seconds. I've never heard anyone else ever speak of such a technique, and I've personally never tried it. Really, it seems to me like something someone would say as a joke, but this teacher was a pretty serious guy, so I don't know...

Oh, and dude, if you switch it with a Blockbuster rental, you're truly a jerk. I rent games from Blockbuster, man. Don't screw them and their customers over because you scratched your disc. Also, dude... $30 for a new copy of Assassin's Creed? Yeah right. I've been seeing that thing for $20 tops for the last year or so.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Xeiphyer

Well I guess wash the toothpaste off it now if you can, I have heard mixed reviews about that working, but I know it works for filling in small holes in your wall XD.

Depending on where you are, blockbusters might do disc repair. The one by me does in calgary. Failing that just rent and switch, or just rent or borrow it from someone and install to harddrive, then it wont matter if your disc is scratched. Also, try and keep your xbox off the carpet always, itl just get dust and fluff in there and is gonna shorten its lifespan, Put it on a box or something, or a stone tile if you wanna be fancy =P Anything non carpety.

Oh also, you can get disc fixing stuff at most game selling places, like EB or futureshop/bestbuy. The best one is called... MagicDoctor or something like that, something to do with those 2 words haha, I hear good stories about it.

Also also: be careful with that toothpaste dvd haha, don't want to get any of that inside your xbox or that will be a nightmare, might even void your warrenty because microsoft are dicks about everything like that. Careful if you wash it, damp cloth or toilet paper will do fine, kleenex is even better.
PRO TIP: Never clean a disc with a microfibre cloth, I have one for my plasma tv and I tried cleanind a game with it and it scratched the shit out of it lol. Not to mention the worst feeling on my fingers. GAH hate that feeling!

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Commando

I know you're gonna think I'm crazy, but Pledge works better than anything I've tried.

My GH:World Tour disk wouldn't read right. I tried the toothpaste trick, and it helped for a few minutes. I decided to just save the disk onto my 360's hard drive, but it would always stop at like 94%.
I looked around on the internet, and someone said Pledge worked.
I sprayed the Pledge onto a tissue, and gently rubbed small circles on the disk. I waited 15 minutes, then I used a dry tissue to gently dry it. 
I tried it, and it saved it 100% onto the Hard drive.
It'll also play flawlessly on my friend's xbox every time, without reapplying the Pledge.
I guess the Pledge fills in the cracks, like it does on furniture.
meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By meptron

you can try the rented game switch, but here's a slight variation:

-buy the game @ game stop. get the "insurance" they offer (lol)
-switch disks, return the same day saying the disk doesn't work, get a new unopened copy.
-return the unopened copy.

would this work? or would your receit and their computer records tell the tale? Still, don't consumers have the right to return merchandise within a set amount of time if it is in it's original state? So there shouldn't be a problem with the last step...

edit: might work better at future shop or best buy, where the return policy is a little more lax?

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sabata

Putting it in the microwave usually works for me.

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sick_J0ke

Is there anyway I can just save the game to my hdd and play it completely from the 360 hdd? I mean no disc needed. The disc like isn't just glitchy from being scratched, I mean it's completely unreadable, Idk what happened to it in the 360 disc drive but it's not like scratched, it's pretty much scraped, I'd have to get a layer shaved off or something. So if anyone knows how to completely play a game off the hdd than I can just borrow it from a friend and do that... other wise ima try a disc repair or switch it with a blockbuster rental as worst case scenerio. 

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Commando
@Sick_J0ke said:
" Is there anyway I can just save the game to my hdd and play it completely from the 360 hdd? I mean no disc needed. The disc like isn't just glitchy from being scratched, I mean it's completely unreadable, Idk what happened to it in the 360 disc drive but it's not like scratched, it's pretty much scraped, I'd have to get a layer shaved off or something. So if anyone knows how to completely play a game off the hdd than I can just borrow it from a friend and do that... other wise ima try a disc repair or switch it with a blockbuster rental as worst case scenerio.  "
That's what I was saying with the Pledge. I couldn't play it. If I tried to save it to the HD, it would always not let me. Once I tried the Pledge trick, it let me save it to the HD so I could play it.
You need the disk in the drive to play the game, but it doesn't have to read it. All it has to be able to do, is verify the title of the game, and that it's a real copy.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ninjakiller

Clear hair gel.  Thin layer wipe of excess, let it dry, sometimes will work.  Have had success with game cds, and music cds.

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By T0mF5

I bought something called DvdDr from my local Best Buy and I was able to fix my CoD4, GTA4, and my friends GTA4.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By BigBoss1911

Rub a bar of soap on the disc,wait and wipe the surface clean.Worked for my halo 3 disc.

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sick_J0ke
@Commando: Alright I'll save it to disc using my friends copy than try the pledge trick to see if it'll verify it. When I'm done beating it I can delete the game off my hdd without deleting the saves right? 
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#29  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

As a few others here have said you might wanna go to somewhere that "fixes" broken discs for a small fee. However, I say never underestimate the power of cleaning a disc; I had a non-working copy of SoulCalibur IV for my 360 but after 45 minutes (yes seriously) of rubbing the disc clean it did actually start playing again.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

You can pick up a buffer for real cheap, and they really do work. My idiot brother knocked over my 360 with oblivion still running in there. Scratched it to HELL, wouldn't read the isc at all. A GOOD bit of buffing it with the disc doctor and it workes like new! Still use it to this day. Doesn't look pretty, but it works.

And don't do the switch thing. That is an ass thing to do. You scratched your disc. If you do that, that'll be one less copy of the game in your store for others to enjoy. Plus, its Assassin's Creed, its 20 bucks new. Used its probably dirt cheap.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@dsplayer1010 said:
"Borrow a working copy of the game from a friend, install it to your hard drive, then you can play your copy off the hard drive.  "
This is win.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@dsplayer1010 said:
" Borrow a working copy of the game from a friend, install it to your hard drive, then you can play your copy off the hard drive.  "
Or just rent one thats a good idea.
Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Kiemoe
This might work, I haven't tried it, but I like Household Hacker, they know what they're doing. So if you really don't wanna leave your house and wanna try one more thing before buying stuff, I suggest this.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Xeiphyer

To answer your questions; You can delete the game off the HDD afterwords and will still keep your savedata =P once the game is installed, putting your disc into the xbox should still allow you to start playing it even though your xbox doesn't read that the disc is in the drive at all, it still works usually. Also there is no way to play a game without having the disc in the xbox, because of the obvious reason: rent a new game for the $8 and install to drive? save $62? Obviously that would kill the industry.

Uhmmm so yeah, try hairspray, basically any kind of liquid or gel that will dry clear. Your filling in the scratches so that the laser deflects off the disc properly and can read it. just remember to wipe it so its clean after you spray it.

Also as said above, Dvd Doctor or Disc Doctor is what its called, those are dirt cheap =P Or just buy a new or used copy of the game. Or just borrow it and finish it off, its not that long of a game, and its pretty crappy because of the extreme lack of variation =P