• 85 results
#1 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3632 posts) -

That is to say, are there any bands that you have heard of, but never bothered actually checking out because you hate their name? On the other side of the coin, are there any bands you WANTED to listen to because of their name, or perhaps a band that you avoided for a long while because of their name, but ended up liking? Here are some of my examples:

Lady Gaga - I think I've only heard her music because it's everywhere, but I hate the infantile name that she's chosen for herself. Her clone of an Ace of Base song also rubbed me the wrong way, although you could certainly make the argument that it's an homage, and not a rip off.

Pissed Jeans - Don't even known what genre they are, but ew. No.

My Morning Jacket - Their name reminded me of My Chemical Romance--who I personally strongly dislike--and I thought they'd sound similar. They're nothing alike.

Fallout Boy - Hey, and band that took their name from a Simpson's reference! Sadly, I ended up hating their actual music.

Trampled by Turtles - Great name. Made me want to check them out. They're pretty much an alternative Country band with a more traditional/folk sound, although often sped up to an extremely fast pace.

Boomtown Rats - Never did like the name, but I Don't Like Mondays is a great song, and explored the topic of school shootings in the 80s, which is pretty cool. The album that song comes from is pretty good as well.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14730 posts) -

No,because Im not that petty. Good music is good music regardless of the band name.

#3 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

They story behind Lady Gaga's name is neat.

#4 Posted by JacDG (2118 posts) -

Uuuuuh, noo.

#5 Posted by Dacnomaniac (442 posts) -

What!? If you genuinely do that's kinda odd...not gonna lie.

#6 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I don't find the names of most metal bands appealing. Not a good example because i'm not fond of that style of music in general. Point is, I won't dislike or like a band more due to their name. Good band name are a bonus through. Such as this awesome name:

#7 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (1990 posts) -

No, that's petty and restrictive.

But, If I'm going to be honest, half of the metal bands I like have really dumb names. For example, Gorgasm is a pretty silly name.

#8 Posted by Pr1mus (3857 posts) -

No for the same reasons others have described.

#9 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3632 posts) -

@barrock said:

They story behind Lady Gaga's name is neat.

I knew of the Queen song for years before I ever heard of Lady Gaga, and that's always been one of my least favorite queen songs for the name alone.

As for all the "petty" responses, I've always had negative reactions to certain words or word selection. And you COULD focus on the other two questions in the first paragraph of the thread, unless you feel that even liking or disliking a band name more than most others somehow makes you petty.

Another one:

Danger Mouse - Fine music and all, but it's kind of like naming yourself "Daffy Duck" or "The Pink Panther." The name already has its association, and that's is a fantastic British cartoon series from the 80s.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

I gotta say this is a bit... god I don't know. This is something. I mean I can list dumb band names but I listen to them so

#11 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4360 posts) -

No...

I can't think of any name that would be so outrageously terrible that it would stop me from listening to genuinely good music.

#12 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

" Goatwhore" kinda pushes me away and attracts me at the same time. Never actually heard them though.

#13 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Is there a name or an expression for having such ridiculous stuck-up standards as not listening to music for any reason other than not liking the sound, or condemning a website because of the groundless belief that it's "below you," etc..?

Jesus christ.

#14 Edited by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@officegamer: you can certainly condemn a website for being below you.

for example, if you want smart talk about games all the time you go to gamasutra, not here

#15 Edited by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

I hadn't even thought of this being a thing. I can't remember ever seeing a band name that was that bad, but really, the name is a tiny part of it for me, they could have the worst name in the world, but if their music was good I'd still listen to them. Also, I quite like Lady Gaga's Queen reference.

#16 Edited by Jrinswand (1701 posts) -

I listened to Moondog because of his name, and he turned out to be awesome. Also, I think the name Satanic Warmaster is hysterical, but the band is terrible.

#17 Posted by DarkShaper (1323 posts) -

When a band name tips me off that I hate their kind of music I generally don't listen to them. But if I like the music I could not give less of a fuck what they are called.

#18 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6396 posts) -

Unless it genuinely offended me (difficult to do), I can never see myself being that petty.

#19 Edited by Clonedzero (4198 posts) -

no, that is a really really dumb reason not to listen to a band.

also, lets face it, lots and LOTS of bands have pretty awful names. i mean come on..."The Beatles" what a dumb name, but no one cares or even thinks about it.

#20 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3632 posts) -

@gamer_152 said:

I hadn't even thought of this being a name. I can't remember ever seeing a band name that was that bad, but really, the name is a tiny part of it for me, they could have the worst name in the world, but if their music was good I'd still listen to them.

This is true. My point, is that there are some bands who have such awful names they keep me from wanting to check them out. Not that there are a bunch of bands where I love their music, but refuse to listen to them because of their name. That would be crazy.

#21 Posted by ShockD (2400 posts) -

No. I'm not that biased.

#22 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4669 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

no, that is a really really dumb reason not to listen to a band.

also, lets face it, lots and LOTS of bands have pretty awful names. i mean come on..."The Beatles" what a dumb name, but no one cares or even thinks about it.

Agreed. What makes a name "great" or "bad" depends entirely on the quality of their music and whether or not it effects you in any way.

I will say that I'm not a fan of using a phrase as a band name like Bullet for my Valentine or Death Cab for Cutie and shit like that. Although that's probably because the music they make is awful and soured me on the whole idea.

#23 Edited by Quarters (1664 posts) -

I don't really pay attention to band names much. I just hear the song, see the name so I can remember who did it, and leave it at that. Some band names are good, some are dumb. Doesn't really matter in the long run.

#24 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6295 posts) -

MUMFERD N SUNS. HELLO THERE, MY NAME IS MUMFORD AND THESE ARE MY SONS.

They're actually not that bad of a band but I still think they're name is fucking dumb.

#25 Posted by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

I won't listen to Dying Fetus because of their pro-life propaganda bullshit.

#26 Edited by deadmoscow (261 posts) -

You know, a few nights ago I was getting some homework done and my fiancee walked in and asked, "What are you listening to?" I paused for a moment, because I realized I was going to have to say "Pig Destroyer" out loud.

#27 Posted by Hunkulese (2694 posts) -

Metallica because what the fuck?

#28 Edited by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac said:

@gamer_152 said:

I hadn't even thought of this being a thing. I can't remember ever seeing a band name that was that bad, but really, the name is a tiny part of it for me, they could have the worst name in the world, but if their music was good I'd still listen to them.

This is true. My point, is that there are some bands who have such awful names they keep me from wanting to check them out. Not that there are a bunch of bands where I love their music, but refuse to listen to them because of their name. That would be crazy.

Never judge a book by its cover.

#29 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I'm not an idiot, so no.

#30 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7071 posts) -

There's a metal band called Austrian Death Machine whose entire theme is parodying Arnold Schwarzenegger. All of their songs are named after quotes from his movies. I listened to them specifically because of this and thought they were okay.

#31 Posted by AlexW00d (6230 posts) -

Hey don't speak ill of Pissed Jeans motherfucker.

#32 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

That comes across as ridiculously petty OP.

#33 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

I think the worst band name to ever grace the music industry is Analcunt, their music is almost as bad as their name too.As long as a band doesn't get that ridiculous then I'm fine with whatever name they have.

#34 Posted by MildMolasses (3218 posts) -

I think the worst band name to ever grace the music industry is Analcunt, there music is almost as bad as their name too.As long as a band doesn't get that ridiculous then I'm fine with whatever name they have.

They're grindcore. They made grindcore songs. They were ok at it. Their logo is awesome

#35 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

I don't think I've ever heard just a band's name without getting at least some info about their style or their reception among like-minded people. If I did, it went in one ear and out the other.

I remember the first time I heard of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, before they were big, I thought their name was stupid, like they were just trying too hard to be hip or something. But I listened to them anyway and loved them. I was pretty young then, so I guess after that, I just didn't pay attention to the names much.

#36 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

No, that's dumb.

#37 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7071 posts) -

@mrsignerman44 said:

I think the worst band name to ever grace the music industry is Analcunt, there music is almost as bad as their name too.As long as a band doesn't get that ridiculous then I'm fine with whatever name they have.

They're grindcore. They made grindcore songs. They were ok at it. Their logo is awesome

They were also ridiculously homophobic, sexist and racist and they made a number of songs joking about the Holocaust so fuck them.

#38 Edited by Trav (241 posts) -

Pissed Jeans is great, get better.

And for the record, I think "Giant Bomb" is a really stupid website name, but it's a great website so who cares.

#39 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Is there a name or an expression for having such ridiculous stuck-up standards as not listening to music for any reason other than not liking the sound, or condemning a website because of the groundless belief that it's "below you," etc..?

Jesus christ.

I dunno, I think at some point during the 90's when bands and labels had fine tuned the art of selecting a name just to evoke a specific mental picture or mood it also became acceptable to hate on those bands. Any I really hate there was probably some reason I wasn't gonna listen to them anyway based on word of mouth or association with a subset of High School outcasts, I'm thinking Linkin Park, Godsmack, Slipknot, but I can't think of any at present that really fit the bill exactly. I've certainly explored music where the band name was a intriguing to me and I wouldn't have listened to it otherwise.

#40 Posted by Jimbo (9797 posts) -

There was a band around here called 'T.W.A.T.' They had a song called 'Homos are Gay', which is true enough I suppose. They were not good.

#41 Posted by JasonR86 (9652 posts) -

No. Because really all names are dumb.

#42 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@mildmolasses said:

@mrsignerman44 said:

They were also ridiculously homophobic, sexist and racist and they made a number of songs joking about the Holocaust so fuck them.

Oh snap, son!

#44 Edited by Abendlaender (2780 posts) -

Mozart. What's that supposed to mean? What a stupid name

#45 Posted by EVO (3889 posts) -

I've always been weary of Butthole Surfers, but what I've heard I've liked. And you should give My Morning Jacket a chance, they're awesome.

#46 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

I listen to and fully enjoy a band named "Diarrhea Planet" so no

#47 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Pissed Jeans - Don't even known what genre they are, but ew. No.

Best band

#48 Posted by Nightriff (4972 posts) -

If anyone says Iron Maiden I'll fucking kill you....by writing you a strongly worded message

#49 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

No because it's dumb.

#50 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Who decides to actively not listen to a band because of the name?