Posted by ikabubu (207 posts) -

I was thinking if there were any cardists in the GB community.

After some... significant events in my life, I decided to finally pursue cardistry back in February of this year. I'm still a complete amateur, but it's been a rewarding and humbling experience. Maybe, just maybe, I could also get people interested.

But for those of you who don't know what "cardistry" is, it's the art of flourishing playing cards.

What is Cardistry?

Keep in mind that, Andrei Jikh is left-handed. His deck dealing hand is his right, and his manipulator hand is his left.

Also, Andrei performs a magic trick called "Dress Code". WATCH HIS T-SHIRT!

Some of my favorite performances on the web.

Chris Hestnes performs the entire moveset of Dan&Dave.

The A-Z of Cardistry.

Downtown, featuring Zach Mueller, Dave Buck, Adam Kerchman, Tobias Levin, & Oliver Sogard.

The trailer of Aviv's SEQUENCE.

Finally, a charming video from Zach Mueller called SUPERHERO.

Lastly, how did you ever get started on cardistry?

I started with the Virts's Icarus Sequence.

Thanks for watching!

"Perfection may very well be impossible, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be aiming for it."

-My Dad

#1 Posted by billymagnum (841 posts) -

thread should be titled "Any Magicians Here?"

Cardist sounds like a person who hates cards. discriminating based on suit, especially discrimination against jokers.

#2 Edited by Counterclockwork87 (743 posts) -

I'm a cardist. Fuckin' cards with their different suits. Go back to your country and get out of mine.

#3 Posted by ikabubu (207 posts) -

@billymagnum:

For starters, we're not magicians. It's the same as juggling or skateboard tricks. And yes, "cardist" sounds unfortunate, but it's seems to be the appropriate name (just see United Cardists).

#4 Edited by billymagnum (841 posts) -

thread should be titled "Any Magicians Here?"

Cardist sounds like a person who hates cards. discriminating based on suit, especially discrimination against jokers.

now thats some good ole fashioned Cardism there lol

@ikabubu said:

@billymagnum:

For starters, we're not magicians. It's the same as juggling or skateboard tricks. And yes, "cardist" sounds unfortunate, but it's seems to be the appropriate name (just see United Cardists).

Id call it Crickin' like Card Trickin' Cricksters, yo!

#5 Posted by Ghostiet (5341 posts) -

@ikabubu said:

For starters, we're not magicians.

I beg to differ, because this is magical.

#6 Edited by BisonHero (7073 posts) -

I was hoping cardist meant you were way deep into tarot card fortune telling, but this works too.

#7 Posted by ShaggE (6724 posts) -

You don't know who might be reading this, man! Keep it on the DL... my boy Smokedawg is doing a dime in San Quentin for public cardistry, yo.

#9 Edited by KoolAid (1034 posts) -

I always imagined that Setzer and/or Gambit would do this before throwing a card at you.

#10 Posted by billymagnum (841 posts) -

this thread is recarded

#11 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

this thread is recarded

cardist detected.

Nice dad quote mate

#12 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

@ghostiet said:

@ikabubu said:

For starters, we're not magicians.

I beg to differ, because this is magical.

Look man, I am a wizzard and I can confirm, that looks fucked up!

This is some magical bullshit.

#13 Posted by TheHT (11829 posts) -

Sadly I am not a Gambit-like.

#14 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

I spent a lot of time bored in class during grade school doing various things, including shuffling and generally messing around with decks of cards. Never quite got all serious with it and really learned any of these tricks, and seeing the name I'm glad didn't. I don't want to be a cardist. Sounds like the sort of thing where they'd put my name on a list on the internet and whenever I move I'd get threats and/or disturbed in the middle of the night by all my new neighbors who don't want a person like me living in their neighborhood.

#15 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (717 posts) -

Those cards are in the wrong neighborhood...

#16 Edited by Vuud (2035 posts) -

I feel like a zoot suit and thin mustache is required to do this.

#17 Posted by billymagnum (841 posts) -

ive got a new trick i like to call carddiligus

#18 Posted by Sergio (2262 posts) -

@ikabubu said:

@billymagnum:

Let's be honest. It's not the same as juggling or skateboard tricks, it's like stacking. :)

#19 Posted by billymagnum (841 posts) -

@sergio said:

@ikabubu said:

@billymagnum:

Let's be honest. It's not the same as juggling or skateboard tricks, it's like stacking. :)

what cardacity you have saying things like that

#20 Posted by EthanielRain (931 posts) -

Small, intricate movements make my fingers hurt. They're aching just watching this :(

#21 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3925 posts) -

GET YOUR BLACK MAGIC OUT OF HERE YOU DEVIL WITCH!

DEVIL WITCH!!!!

#22 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -

Ughhhhh.

Couldn't even tell if that first video was serious until I saw there was a bunch more, I thought it was just a joke with a cool t-shirt trick in it.

#23 Posted by Neonie (438 posts) -

I thought this thread was going to be about TCG's and then I was disappointed. I thought Cardistry would be related to Gamindustri and then I was disappointed. Wixoss.

#24 Posted by 49th (2853 posts) -

I am indeed a practiser of cardistry and have been for many years! I always say "cardistry is mastery" when people ask me about it hehe

I carry a deck with me everywhere I go - waiting in line? bam card twirl! Sitting on the bus? flip flop cards dont drop

i am currently trying to flourish all the cards into the air behind my back and then credit card myself with the entire deck

#25 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3248 posts) -

I didn't even know this was a thing but it's neat.