Any Cigar smokers out there? Need advice

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

Doubt it haha, but i'm too embarrased to simply go into the local tabacconist (yeah. we still have one here haha) and ask.

I got given a box (I say, box, a sampler gift box) of 3 cuban Habanos cigars for my birthday last year, and I quite liked two of them.

Now, normally, i'm against smoking but these things were totally different from cigarettes, they actually tasted nice, and you're not supposed to inhale so (while still bad, obviously) it's not as bad for you as cigaretted (vile little things)

But I was just wondering, theres so fucking many different types, and I don't know what I was given last time, where is a good place to start? What should I go for? They are so expensive (even the cheap ones) that I don't want to spend money on something and not like it. It's so confusing haha.

So hows about it, do we have any Cigar smokers here on GB? If so, what would you reccomend I do? The other opton is a pipe, pipe smoking has always intrigued me...

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

"i'm against smoking but these things were totally different from cigarettes, they actually tasted nice" You're against smoking due to the taste, not the Cancer? Okay... 

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Drebin_893
@Hitchenson said:
" "i'm against smoking but these things were totally different from cigarettes, they actually tasted nice" You're against smoking due to the taste, not the Cancer? Okay...  "

Mouth Cancer > Lung Cancer

I jest, I jest. My dad has smoked cigarettes for 45 years now.  I personally only smoke weed and the occasional cigar when I feel like my penis is big enough to have the stature to smoke one. Any cigar under £30 ($55?) is not going to be any good, so you have to make atleast a £35 investment.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Hitchenson:

I'm against smoking in general, as I said quite clearly, and then further elaborated but instead you simply quoted out of context. Nice. I'm mainly against second hand smoke, people want to give themselves cancer, epic, just don't do it to other people. You don't inhale cigar smoke, you taste it and then exhale. But i'll hardly be puffing it in peoples faces at the bus station, they are for parties and special occasions (provided all present consent, and most of my friends are smokers anyway so they don't care).

Aside from that, theres a whole host of other nasty shit in cigarrettes, whereas a good cigar is just tobbaco (again, as I said above incase you want to take more of my words and give them a meaning all of your own, it's still bad for you, but i'm not pouring tar into my fucking lungs as with cigarettes)

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

1.there is nothing about cigar rules that says you cannot inhale them you can inhale them, chew them, or just enjoy the taste of the smoke.
2.Cigar's are actually stronger then cigarettes so 2nd hand smoke *of which there is no concrete evidence still that it causes cancer that is 2nd hand smoke* so....
3.Most cigars especially the good ones are packed, stored and hand rolled with horse manure.
4.Tar is a natural occurrence in tobacco when its smoked...the tar is from actually burning something and inhaling it its not a byproduct of just cigarettes tar substances will occur in most things that are burnt and the smoke gets into your lungs.

As for good Cigars I personally prefer the white owl brand of singular cigars they come in foil pouches thus ensuring you get a fresh and moist tobacco most cigars are like i said packed, stored, and rolled with manure as a binding agent.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crunchUK

^^^ So the horse manure is why he finds they taste better than cigarrettes? :P

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Who knows, I find cigars to taste better then cigarettes whether it be the horse manure which is used as a freshness and binding agent..

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

SMOKING KILLS FOOLZ!

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By PowerSerj
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" 1.there is nothing about cigar rules that says you cannot inhale them"
But there is that slightly important living rule that most people try to abide by.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@PowerSerj said:
" @WilliamRLBaker said:
" 1.there is nothing about cigar rules that says you cannot inhale them"
But there is that slightly important living rule that most people try to abide by. "
yes but that's not the point Drain said your not supposed to inhale cigar smoke but there's no real rule in cigar smoking circles or conduct that says your not allowed to inhale the cigar smoke.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Here's some good general advice-

First, Cuban cigars just simply aren't worth the price.  Price and supposed "high quality" aren't always going to mean you're going to like the flavor.  Personally, I like fairly cheap cigars with a hint of vanilla or fruit to them.  Aficionados might disapprove, but give me a cheap box of sweet-smelling cigars over one single expensive one any day of the week.

I'd say go to the tobacco shop and buy a few different varieties.  We've all gotta start somewhere, so give it a go.  Ask the guy behind the counter what he recommends, and make sure to try both stronger and more mild varieties.  I like a strong smelling cigar when I'm alone and outside reading, but if I'm going to have company, a mild, sweeter cigar is generally going to be a bit more pleasant.  Try a few in your price range, but don't be afraid of splurging a bit on a few higher priced cigars of various brands.  I'd start with some smaller ring sizes to begin with, and make sure to get a clipper.  Try, if you can, to use matches instead of lighters.

Good luck!

EDIT:  I'm sorry, let me clarify.  You'll only need a clipper if you are buying cigars that aren't pre-clipped.  Ask your vendor about that - it will depend on what brands you end up buying, and they'll generally offer to cut them for you, which is what I tend to go with since I smoke them relatively quickly.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@WilliamRLBaker said:
"1.there is nothing about cigar rules that says you cannot inhale them you can inhale them, chew them, or just enjoy the taste of the smoke.2.Cigar's are actually stronger then cigarettes so 2nd hand smoke *of which there is no concrete evidence still that it causes cancer that is 2nd hand smoke* so....3.Most cigars especially the good ones are packed, stored and hand rolled with horse manure.4.Tar is a natural occurrence in tobacco when its smoked...the tar is from actually burning something and inhaling it its not a byproduct of just cigarettes tar substances will occur in most things that are burnt and the smoke gets into your lungs. As for good Cigars I personally prefer the white owl brand of singular cigars they come in foil pouches thus ensuring you get a fresh and moist tobacco most cigars are like i said packed, stored, and rolled with manure as a binding agent."
Well whatever they're doing they're doing it right! Seriously, every smoker out there knows the risks involved, no need for any more "ZOMG A SHOCKING DISCOVERY SMOKING R TEH BAD!"

I guess I'm the first person on this thread to give advice: try out Double Diamonds. They sell them at my local mini mart for $2 a pack, they're cigars but in cigarette shape. There's a few flavors (I like the cherry myself) and they're cheap to try. My personal favorite, Black and Mild's, are pretty cheap as well, and they come in plastic and wood tips. There's also Garcia Vegas, which I'd stay away from, because they taste as cheap as they cost.

But I'm relatively knew to this, so that's about all I can say.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" @WilliamRLBaker said:
"1.there is nothing about cigar rules that says you cannot inhale them you can inhale them, chew them, or just enjoy the taste of the smoke.2.Cigar's are actually stronger then cigarettes so 2nd hand smoke *of which there is no concrete evidence still that it causes cancer that is 2nd hand smoke* so....3.Most cigars especially the good ones are packed, stored and hand rolled with horse manure.4.Tar is a natural occurrence in tobacco when its smoked...the tar is from actually burning something and inhaling it its not a byproduct of just cigarettes tar substances will occur in most things that are burnt and the smoke gets into your lungs. As for good Cigars I personally prefer the white owl brand of singular cigars they come in foil pouches thus ensuring you get a fresh and moist tobacco most cigars are like i said packed, stored, and rolled with manure as a binding agent."
Well whatever they're doing they're doing it right! Seriously, every smoker out there knows the risks involved, no need for any more "ZOMG A SHOCKING DISCOVERY SMOKING R TEH BAD!" I guess I'm the first person on this thread to give advice: try out Double Diamonds. They sell them at my local mini mart for $2 a pack, they're cigars but in cigarette shape. There's a few flavors (I like the cherry myself) and they're cheap to try. My personal favorite, Black and Mild's, are pretty cheap as well, and they come in plastic and wood tips. There's also Garcia Vegas, which I'd stay away from, because they taste as cheap as they cost. But I'm relatively knew to this, so that's about all I can say. "
I'm pretty sure i gave advice White owl cigarillos you can find em most places in different flavors.
I was just simply correcting A drain on a few misconceptions.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

I love Cigars, routinely but never in excess. You probably had a medium of some kind, I would stick with that seeing as though you are OK with it, Starting up on mild is pretty lame, but that's not to say mild Cigars are lame. Monte Cristo mediums are good, as are Romeo y Julietta's, or some good old Punch's. If you get some smoke them soon as, don't leave them about for too long unless you have a box, which I assume you don't. Get them cut correctly at a shop if you don't have a cutter also. Drink is all important, it's a waste without, all the flavours come alive only then.

I have a pipe, it's alright, but I prefer Cigars if the occassion is right. Gently flavoured pipe tobacco's are good after meals, but other than that I pref simple tobacco which is organically produced like Native Spirit is. I get a nice olde English recipe here which has a hint of Honey and Elder flower. It's good stuff when your feeling tired...

My local store ^ ^

Monte Cristo and some of that Honey and Elder flower blend

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Linkyshinks:

Looks a helluva lot like my local store :D The chap in there is so friendly too.

I think I was given a Romeo y Julietta last year. Anyhow thanks for the advice peoples, I'm going to put in an order for some White Owl, and Backwood Wild Rums, as they aren't insanely pricey, and hopefully i'll get a small selection of other things for my birthday. I need something to celebrate with if I manage to coax my deposit out of my landlord tommorow (wish me luck haha!)

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ahriman22

I rarely smoke cigars and when I do, I'm with my mother and we're probably at a whiskey bar or a wedding. I also never know what brand I'm smoking (I usually don't care) so I can't help you there. I prefer cigarettes anyways.

Splinterbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Splinterbomb

I started smoking cigars about 6 years ago. I'm no aficionado but I might be able to help. 

I would say the first place to start is figuring out if you like mild cigars (a lighter shade wrapper) or a more full bodied cigar (a darker wrapper). I would suggest getting sampler packs at first, allow yourself to try a variety of different kinds to see what you like and don't like. 

It's also very important if you are not enjoying a cigar to stop smoking it immediately. Don't waste your time with a bad experience. It's also important, if you plan on buying a lot at once, to have a proper humidor to keep them fresh. If you don't feel your ready to invest in a humidor yet then I would make sure you smoke your cigars within a week or 2 of buying them.

Also don’t be afraid of your friendly neighborhood  tobacconist. They are there to help you. Once you find a type or brand you like they can refer you to other brands. Just be honest with them and don’t pretend to know more than you do. Most people who are really into hobbies such as smoking cigars, or video games love to talk about them and share them with new people. 

Have fun and enjoy

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks

First, Cuban cigars just simply aren't worth the price.  Price and supposed "high quality" aren't always going to mean you're going to like the flavor.  Personally, I like fairly cheap cigars with a hint of vanilla or fruit to them.

Sorry sparky but I have never read such nonsense about Cigars before, first you say Cubans are not worth the price (in your country), only to then make matters far worse by thinking fruit flavoured Cigars are good ( that's the cheryy lol). You lose all credibility because of that. 

There is a plethora of Cuban Cigars that come at range of different prices and have different tastes and strengths to suit all. and of course price does not equate to taste, it's just like alcohol in that respect. The best Cigars are rolled in Cuba and the only a few good brands are made elsewhere like the Domican republic. Some may be cheaper, but the quality is not as consistent as Cubans are.

Cheap Cigars are crap, there's no contest at all. 

narley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By narley
So typical. Some one starts a topic about ONE thing. But there's always that guy that cant keep his thoughts to him self, and cant post a coment with out judging the other people that posted or the one that started the topic.
The guy is askng for advice. Not your points of view about smoking. If you dont know about this stuff, dont give him advice or dont say anything at all.

Ok. If your going to start buying cigars. And you already know what kind of taste or style you like. Start by describing that to the clerk at the cigar store. Real cuban cigars are really expensive, but you do get what you pay for. So if what you tasted before was an actual cuban, then your gonna have to fork up no less than $100 smakaroos for maybe a pair. Thats for a real cuban cigar. Not a cuban style cigar. Make sure you specify to the clerk what you want. The more of those you buy, the less expensive it is. So if you buy a box, the price per cigar is less.
If thats too expensive you can start at the bottom. Try to grab one once amonth or take more time betwen cigars if you want. But if your gonna start this habbit, do it like you would do with wines. You start by buying low or medium quality wines cuase your not ready to pay 100 dlls for a glas of wine. But as your taste and knowllage for that develops, so will your ability to choose and describe what you actually want.
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Drebin_893
@narley said:
" So typical. Some one starts a topic about ONE thing. But there's always that guy that cant keep his thoughts to him self, and cant post a coment with out judging the other people that posted or the one that started the topic.The guy is askng for advice. Not your points of view about smoking. If you dont know about this stuff, dont give him advice or dont say anything at all.Ok. If your going to start buying cigars. And you already know what kind of taste or style you like. Start by describing that to the clerk at the cigar store. Real cuban cigars are really expensive, but you do get what you pay for. So if what you tasted before was an actual cuban, then your gonna have to fork up no less than $100 smakaroos for maybe a pair. Thats for a real cuban cigar. Not a cuban style cigar. Make sure you specify to the clerk what you want. The more of those you buy, the less expensive it is. So if you buy a box, the price per cigar is less.If thats too expensive you can start at the bottom. Try to grab one once amonth or take more time betwen cigars if you want. But if your gonna start this habbit, do it like you would do with wines. You start by buying low or medium quality wines cuase your not ready to pay 100 dlls for a glas of wine. But as your taste and knowllage for that develops, so will your ability to choose and describe what you actually want. "

Some people take the internet so seriously. Yes, this comment is worth bolding, underlining and italics.
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I smoke a lot of cigars, but they're all hollowed out ;)

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@Linkyshinks said:
"
First, Cuban cigars just simply aren't worth the price.  Price and supposed "high quality" aren't always going to mean you're going to like the flavor.  Personally, I like fairly cheap cigars with a hint of vanilla or fruit to them.

Sorry sparky but I have never read such nonsense about Cigars before, first you say Cubans are not worth the price (in your country), only to then make matters far worse by thinking fruit flavoured Cigars are good ( that's the cheryy lol). You lose all credibility because of that. 

There is a plethora of Cuban Cigars that come at range of different prices and have different tastes and strengths to suit all. and of course price does not equate to taste, it's just like alcohol in that respect. The best Cigars are rolled in Cuba and the only a few good brands are made elsewhere like the Domican republic. Some may be cheaper, but the quality is not as consistent as Cubans are.

Cheap Cigars are crap, there's no contest at all. 

"
In your opinion but its not a fact, and Cuban made cigars are not the best they are in your opinion, I happen to like my cheap lil cigarillos and disdain smoking any thing larger then a nickle in cigar size and least of all to say most people when they hear of cuban cigars they think EXPENSIVE and the truely expensive ones really aren't worth the price they taste no better then cheaply made cigars in my opinion.

P.S; to any one do not take up Pipe smoking it takes a real investment of time and skill to pipe smoke its not like a cigar or cigarette where you just light up and smoke it takes quite a bit of skill to pack a pipe and smoke it.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By TheHBK

I stay away from anything that requires me to put something in my mouth in the shape of a penis.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Dude
@TheHBK said:
" I stay away from anything that requires me to put something in my mouth in the shape of a penis. "
A bit insecure, huh?
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Drebin_893
@TheHBK said:
" I stay away from anything that requires me to put something in my mouth in the shape of a penis. "
Aww, still confused about our sexuality, are we?
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_A_Drain
@TheHBK said:
"I stay away from anything that requires me to put something in my mouth in the shape of a penis. "

Or are Cigars just so damned awesome, that evolution shaped the penis after them?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By natetodamax

How about you not smoke and remove all the problems just like that.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
@Linkyshinks: It's all a matter of taste, my friend.  I've only tried a handful of authentic Cuban cigars at ridiculous prices, and I just don't find them to be worth it.  As far as what goes into the content of the cigars I like, there's nothing wrong with fruit-flavored cigars or the like.  I like 'em plain, I like 'em flavored, it's not really a big deal.  Every cigar smoker I've known has enjoyed their own particular flavors or scents.  Saying mine are rubbish simply because I enjoy a different taste is pretty silly.  I'd never bash someone for enjoying a Sprite rather than a Pepsi.

Price or rarity doesn't always equate to a better flavor or brand.  You're paying extra for Cubans simply because they're so goddamned difficult to obtain, and that's if and only if they're authentic anyways.  Half the assholes out there selling "Cuban" cigars are selling imitations or knock-offs.  Hell, for all I know, the ones I've tried have been fake, but mine came from a relative whom I believe knows what's real and what isn't.  The point I'm getting at is that we're often impressed simply by reputation and history alone.  Are Cubans good cigars?  Damn straight.  Are they worth spending a fortune on?  That's up to your own personal tastes, but my statement remains the same.  Give me cheaper, easier to obtain cigars any day of the week.  They're still immensely enjoyable. 
narley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By narley
@Drebin_893 said:
"@narley said:
" So typical. Some one starts a topic about ONE thing. But there's always that guy that cant keep his thoughts to him self, and cant post a coment with out judging the other people that posted or the one that started the topic.The guy is askng for advice. Not your points of view about smoking. If you dont know about this stuff, dont give him advice or dont say anything at all.Ok. If your going to start buying cigars. And you already know what kind of taste or style you like. Start by describing that to the clerk at the cigar store. Real cuban cigars are really expensive, but you do get what you pay for. So if what you tasted before was an actual cuban, then your gonna have to fork up no less than $100 smakaroos for maybe a pair. Thats for a real cuban cigar. Not a cuban style cigar. Make sure you specify to the clerk what you want. The more of those you buy, the less expensive it is. So if you buy a box, the price per cigar is less.If thats too expensive you can start at the bottom. Try to grab one once amonth or take more time betwen cigars if you want. But if your gonna start this habbit, do it like you would do with wines. You start by buying low or medium quality wines cuase your not ready to pay 100 dlls for a glas of wine. But as your taste and knowllage for that develops, so will your ability to choose and describe what you actually want. "

Some people take the internet so seriously. Yes, this comment is worth bolding, underlining and italics.
"

Again. A topic about cigars. Im telling you this cause I take the internet verry seriously, lol.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By TheHBK
@The_A_Drain:
Now you see, this response makes more sense to me.  Drebin adn Dude, you boys could learn something from this man.
HeinzHarald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HeinzHarald
@The_A_Drain:
I've smoked my fair share of cigars (counting them in the thousands at least). You can get really good cigars at a decent price if you turn to online dealers and avoid cubans. Now the best cigars I´ve smoked were aged cubans, but they are just do damn expensive. A good place to start in my opinion is Mayorga. You can get a box of 25 for $40-$50 and most are surprisingly good. I usually order mine from Lynncigars.com. Maria Manchini is another budget favorite. JR Alternatives are even less expensive and usually taste fine. For slightly more expensive but really good cigars look to Padron, they are awesome cigars.

I smoke pipe as well, but I tend to stay with local brands that I doubt you find outside the Nordic countries.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Commando

Start with something mild. That's the general rule.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
@HeinzHarald:  And here's how out of touch I am... I didn't even know you could buy cigars online.  Score!
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Mrnitropb

For the price Monte Cristos are surprisingly good.