• 119 results
GiantAlston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GiantAlston

Hello everyone! I wanted to chip away at the ice and ask everyone a simple question. What college are you going to and what are you majoring in? For me, I attend Davenport university and I major in game and simulation programming. It's something I really want to do.

Also, if you are not going to college, what are you doing as a hobby or career that you find wonderful?

~Have a great day(night)everyone!!!!

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Electrical & Computer Engineering at Rutgers' University's School of Engineering.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sup. I go to a trade school that is not of note, studying to become a pharmacy technician.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Radio/TV Broadcasting at an Alamo College.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I graduated in December with a Associates Degree in Web Development and Design and just finished my first week as a Web Services Assistant.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

About to graduate in May with a Bachelor's in Business Administration.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Games Design at Qantm.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By MocBucket62

History Major and Secondary Education Minor at Florida Southern College. I'm in my Junior year.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MezZa

Information Tech at University of Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne. Nothing too special really.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I am majoring in Economics and minoring in Mathematics at the University of Houston. I find economic theory to be quite interesting, and hope to be able to pursue a more advanced degree in the future.

GiantAlston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, how did you get into games? What inspired you to play?

For me a lot of my youngest video gaming experiences wasn't from the Snes or Sega Saturn from arcade. They used to have a local arcade around the corner from my home and I every Wednesday they had this event where you would pay 10 dollars and play the entire night; every game was set up so that you didn't have to insert coins in the machine to play. This was one of the only arcades around my area that opened around 8 or 9 and stayed open until about 7 in the morning. It was extremely fun for me because I was able to miss a couple of days of school! My parents never understood why I loved video games so much but they accepted it and allowed me to continue this dream.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Economics Major at John Jay College in NYC.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AgnosticJesus

Graduate in two weeks with a BS in Management Information Systems.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No, there are no college people here.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Currently majoring in Mass Media and minoring in Art.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By toowalrus

Wait, Davenport is a real school? From all of the late night radio ads, I figured it was some kind of scam. Anyway, I'm not far away, Northwood in Midland, majoring in Business Management... I HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE WHAT I WANT TO DO WITH MY LIFE. Oh, and I graduate next month. Great.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost done with my first year at a shitty community college, waiting to transfer to a good film school(Most likely New York University or Loyola Marymount University).

Still better than high school though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

English at Belmont Abbey College. I plan to graduate from here and then go on to get a degree in computer science.

Don't ask! And if you're reading this and aren't in college yet, for the love of God, get a really good idea of what you want to do before you leap into it.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

Working on my undergrad in computer science right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Community College up in this bitch, studying Computer Systems and Networking (IT).

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus
WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WasabiCurry

Sociology graduate; however, I am going back to start on my Pre-Med degree in the Fall. Another journey!

Since I am out of school for the moment, I tend to follow a ton of tech news, research computer problems, fix computers for a great number of people, play the guitar, draw, go fishing, and staying in shape for cosplaying. :3

@believer258 He offers great advice! If you don't know what to do, get some research done in order to figure out what you really want to do!

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go to a trade school where I'm studying to get my Airframe and Powerplant licenses.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Studying IT at University of Phoenix here.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Turambar

Got a BA in History, currently getting my teaching license and a Masters in Education at Edgewood College along with teaching 11th grade full time.

FearMyFlop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FearMyFlop

Senior Year at the University of Memphis studying Marketing! I am learning to be the devil!

Avatar image for angre_leperkan439
Angre_Leperkan439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:

Got a BA in History, currently getting my teaching license and a Masters in Education at Edgewood College along with teaching 11th grade full time.

Woot! History majors, represent.

I'm finishing up my BA in History (same as this dude) in May. As for where that will take me... yea...

...I'll be honest here. I don't think history is a good choice for a profession unless you're going into teaching. It's too general otherwise. Let's hope it turns out for me though!!!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By McGhee

People like to shit all over community colleges but the one I attend has teachers and staff that actually give a shit and want you to succeed, a stark difference to what I've heard about the local big state university (which I am going to have to transfer to in a year . . . or maybe I'll find somewhere else near by. I don't know.)

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

People like to shit all over community colleges but the one I attend has teachers and staff that actually give a shit and want you to succeed, a stark difference to what I've heard about the local big state university (which I am going to have to transfer to in a year).

Going to see a CC was a great choice for me. I basically got my AA for free and used it to transfer into FSU as a junior.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McGhee

@mcghee said:

People like to shit all over community colleges but the one I attend has teachers and staff that actually give a shit and want you to succeed, a stark difference to what I've heard about the local big state university (which I am going to have to transfer to in a year).

Going to see a CC was a great choice for me. I basically got my AA for free and used it to transfer into FSU as a junior.

Hell, I'm getting paid to go to school right now, an extra 1500 into my account every semester. You can't beat that. But then, that all disappears when/if I transfer to UT junior year.

GiantAlston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus: Yeah, I thought it was a scam too until i took a tour, the school is great and the students pretty much run all of the jobs at the school. It's awesome, but quiet. That's okay though if you don't know what to do. I'm going to school for programming but I find myself drawing and painting more that anything lol.

GiantAlston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GiantAlston

@mcghee: I agree, the Grand Rapids Community college here in Michigan is actually highly credited and (extremely cheap). Good to see that there are teacher who care!

P.s. I started at a community college for general studies before going to Davenport.

Onced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)/Bachelor of Arts at Swinburne U. Pretty heavy material, but I enjoy it.

crimsinf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm between colleges right now. I'm a recent graduate of The University of Alabama with an engineering degree. Next spring probably (whenever my employer will pay for it) I'll be starting an online nuclear engineering Master's program.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShadowConqueror

This thread has been made before, but I'll play along. I go to Willamette University and I'm a double major in English with a Creative Writing Emphasis and Film Studies. I'll be applying to various film MFA programs come autumn.

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man everyone has a technical major these days. I'm a political science major/history minor at UC Davis.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Getting my Master's in Biomedical Engineering at Dalhousie University right now.

@toowalrus:

For those about to apply to university I would suggest taking up a program that companies (in a field you're interested in) see as a useful education. Not much point in studying humanities unless you want to be a teacher. The teaching job market is saturated so it'll be hard to find a job even after teacher's college, so I wouldn't do it anyway.

Pursuing an arts degree is good if you really really want to learn more in that field, but job opportunities are few and far between, I would only go if I already had a more practical degree to fall back on. Definitely don't go into an arts degree just because you think it's cool.

Post secondary educations are crazy expensive and should be used to get some credentials and preparation for entering the work force. If you're there to party and coast by on an easy program, or even a challenging one that does not provide job opportunities then you're wasting a hell of a lot of time an money. Don't put yourself into a situation where you have to pay off debt for the rest of your life just because you wanted to learn about medieval Europe. Also don't trust all the propaganda the university puts in their fliers, they're a business and only want to make money off you. If that means creating a bunch of bullshit programs to attract students who normally wouldn't consider university then that's exactly what they'll do.

Just my two cents.

GiantAlston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By BaneFireLord

Freshman at Amherst College, probably going to be an English/Economics double major.

GiantAlston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GiantAlston

One thing i thought that was odd with colleges (or at least the one I attend) is that most of them focus the attention around getting a job rather than creating one. I'm talking about creating and conducting your own business to increase competition. Does anyone else think this?

Just a "Hunch".

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@giantalston: I think it depends on the program, both my undergrad in Mechanical Engineering and my current program have entrepreneurship streams.

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By darkstorn

@rollingzeppelin: People really seem to be taking your advice and forgoing the liberal arts degrees in greater numbers. However, I fear for what the lack of educated artists, writers, and creative class will do to our generation. A society full of engineers, econ majors, and mathematicians doesn't sound appealing to me :/

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@darkstorn: I know a shit load of engineers that can play guitar, sing, dance, paint and a great number of other artistic endeavours. Art is about passion and is completely subjective, an education is completely unnecessary for such an occupation. Besides, there's a reason so few with an arts degree can find a job, the market's saturated. There will always be enough creative people to fill society's desire for art so an artless dystopia of a future is as unlikely as the earth being destroyed by a giant meatball.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By justinnotjason

@equitasinvictus said:

Electrical & Computer Engineering at Rutgers' University's School of Engineering.

How is that? I'm currently double majoring in Comp Sci and Elec Engi and thinking of transferring there next year. Just not sure I want to go there due to the fact that it seems like all the classes are going to be 300+ people.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Double degree in Law and Arts at La Trobe University (Australia FTW), majoring in Politics right now but I'll probably transfer into International Relations next Semester.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Criminology, Law and Society at the UC Irvine.

Man everyone has a technical major these days. I'm a political science major/history minor at UC Davis.

High five my fellow blue and gold comrade!

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

BA in Environmental Science. Currently working in a biochemical water analysis laboratory. Still not sure on what I'm gonna study for my masters though.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

Currently doing a EngD (Engineering Doctorate) in medical devices. Degree in Meng Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

GiantAlston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GiantAlston

Wow, it's amazing to see people outside of the gaming field. I expected all Gamers, to get more into the field of gaming. It's amazing to see how grey the world actually is (No black and white here eh?)

:)

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By natedawg_kz

Games design at Angus College in Scotland. Don't really want to do it but l can't buy video games if l don't have a job in the future.