Any College people here?

• 119 results
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I'm going to be graduating next month with a BA in Political Science, planning to just keep working at my lame job for a couple months while I go on vacations!

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Creative Writing at Manchester Metropolitan University (in the UK)

Yeah, I know it sounds like a bad idea, but the world always needs copy writers. It's a good course if you put the work in, but a bad one if you think you're just a 'naturally good' writer. The only thing worse than reading someones bad story is knowing that its bad in exactly the same ways as the last one.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Going to get my Bachelor in Medicine next months if all goes well.

What is this college people talk about? I don't understand the american education system lingo.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By mercutio123

Does this count coz I'm not there yet? But after my gap year has finished I'll be going to Newcastle Univeristy (UK) in September to do a degree in Philosophy, can not wait.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a BA in English from Penn State...Graduated in 2010.... However I didn't have much luck finding a decent job. Everyone wanted 2-3 years experience in the field (I worked at a convenience store through college). I wanted to go to grad school for library science to become I librarian but didn't want to take on any more debt (already $50,000 in the hole)....so I enlisted in the Air Force.

I wanted to go officer into the Air Force, and could have, however I was told by my recruiter I'd end up waiting at least a year, if not two if I went that route...So I went enlisted.... One of these days I'll try to get into OTS, but for now I'm fine just keeping barely afloat :P

n0nametaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By n0nametaz

(puking noise)

No but really. I go to a community college. I don't know what I want to major in yet. What is the right or wrong thing for me to do? That is for me to decide and for me to find out... son of B.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Max_Cherry

I'm majoring in Mathematics at Columbia University. Unlike many other students, I came from a working class family and I went to Florida public schools. As for what year... Ummm ... A lot of people go to college for 7 years. Hee He Ha Ha Haa... Haaa... Right?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By SSully

@mcghee said:

People like to shit all over community colleges but the one I attend has teachers and staff that actually give a shit and want you to succeed, a stark difference to what I've heard about the local big state university (which I am going to have to transfer to in a year . . . or maybe I'll find somewhere else near by. I don't know.)

Why don't you look into a smaller private school? My school is much smaller then the bigger state schools, and the bestperk is the personal level you can achieve with your teachers. I know almost every teacher in my department(Computer Science) by name as do they me. Every single one of them has been there to help me from everything from homework, getting a job, and just striking up a conversation about something going on in the tech industry. Obviously this can still be achieved at bigger schools, but I am just giving input based on my experience.

On Topic: As I said I am currently getting a BS in Computer Science and just started taking classes to get a Masters in Information Security.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Got my BS in chemistry in 2010 from UMaine. Now I'm at Cornell for grad school. I got my MS last November and am continuing on to a Ph.D.

GiantAlston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By GiantAlston

@natedawg_kz: if you have the talent to design good games (or at least passion) then you can do anything without the need for college. Just do what feels right to you!

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@believer258 said:

English at Belmont Abbey College. I plan to graduate from here and then go on to get a degree in computer science.

Don't ask! And if you're reading this and aren't in college yet, for the love of God, get a really good idea of what you want to do before you leap into it.

Tell my mum that, she's having a fit that at 23 I'm getting old and haven't started university yet while all my HS friends have already graduated. Even though most of them rushed in to a course that they hate and now want nothing to do with.

I'm currently in college (like an American community college) studying biology and chemistry, hopefully to move to the US next year to study Zoology.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#62  Edited By beard_of_zeus

I'm an old man and already graduated from college!

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm studying Business Management. I'll have to choose an emphasis next winter and I'm torn between accounting, marketing, and organizational behavior/human resources. I'll probably go OBHR though just because it most closely matches who I am as a person.

I'll second the people saying get a good idea of what you want to do before you get started at college (it's slang for university you non-Americans :] ) because I fell into the trap of switching majors more than once and I'm going to take longer to graduate as a result. It sucks man.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@equitasinvictus said:

Electrical & Computer Engineering at Rutgers' University's School of Engineering.

How is that? I'm currently double majoring in Comp Sci and Elec Engi and thinking of transferring there next year. Just not sure I want to go there due to the fact that it seems like all the classes are going to be 300+ people.

Actually ECE in Rutgers isn't that huge. Even though our enrollment was the highest out of all the other engineering majors in Rutgers for my year (we declared Electrical & Computer Engineering back in Spring 2011 and I think since we've been the largest Engineering major in Rutgers) even the largest core classes aren't larger than 80-100 students.

Once Electrical & Computer specializations split lectures/classes even get smaller, between 1/4th to 1/2 of that size. Our program is pretty solid and it isn't impossibly difficult, but if you're double majoring with Computer Science Rutgers' department for that is actually pretty brutal with the type of assignments given out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#65  Edited By Humanity
@duskvamp said:

@believer258 said:

English at Belmont Abbey College. I plan to graduate from here and then go on to get a degree in computer science.

Don't ask! And if you're reading this and aren't in college yet, for the love of God, get a really good idea of what you want to do before you leap into it.

Tell my mum that, she's having a fit that at 23 I'm getting old and haven't started university yet while all my HS friends have already graduated. Even though most of them rushed in to a course that they hate and now want nothing to do with.

I'm currently in college (like an American community college) studying biology and chemistry, hopefully to move to the US next year to study Zoology.

Sometimes it's good to just have a degree. It's ideal to study what you really want but often times you don't know something doesn't interest you until you're two years in. Of course parents freaking out and not understanding how the modern job market works is a whole 'nother story.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm studying Language and Business Communication at Aarhus University in Denmark. I really want to become a journalist, but I didn't get accepted, only 250 do each year and even though I passed a notoriously tough test, I didn't ace the interview, so this route might take me somewhere close to it, so I can be qualified for a job in that field. It's not that interesting aside from a few of the classes/courses, and in fact it's incredibly easy, and if it wasn't for my great friends and the opportunity to study abroad on the 4th semester, I would probably have dropped out by now.

I'm studying Business Management. I'll have to choose an emphasis next winter and I'm torn between accounting, marketing, and organizational behavior/human resources. I'll probably go OBHR though just because it most closely matches who I am as a person.

One of the classes/courses I'm in right now is actually organizational behavior, it's pretty interesting in a lot of ways, probably one of the few things about my current semester which I find useful, if not the only one.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By kerse

Computer Science major at Mesa Community College, getting ready to transfer over to ASU in the next year, I'm strongly considering switching my major over to Applied Mathematics, because thats one of the parts I enjoy most at school and am best at. Plus if that doesn't work out its a pretty easy switch to engineering which I also liking a little more than computer science so far.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@justinnotjason said:

@equitasinvictus said:

Electrical & Computer Engineering at Rutgers' University's School of Engineering.

How is that? I'm currently double majoring in Comp Sci and Elec Engi and thinking of transferring there next year. Just not sure I want to go there due to the fact that it seems like all the classes are going to be 300+ people.

Actually ECE in Rutgers isn't that huge. Even though our enrollment was the highest out of all the other engineering majors in Rutgers for my year (we declared Electrical & Computer Engineering back in Spring 2011 and I think since we've been the largest Engineering major in Rutgers) even the largest core classes aren't larger than 80-100 students.

Once Electrical & Computer specializations split lectures/classes even get smaller, between 1/4th to 1/2 of that size. Our program is pretty solid and it isn't impossibly difficult, but if you're double majoring with Computer Science Rutgers' department for that is actually pretty brutal with the type of assignments given out.

Good to know. If I did transfer over I'd drop one from a major to a minor I suspect. Probably go Engi Major, CS minor.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By GabrielCantor

Accounting major at SUNY Old Westbury. Past the current one, I've got one semester left to my Bachelor's and then I'm DONE. I plan on maybe taking non-college classes in some other stuff (music-related) afterwards, but I've already got myself a pretty decent job and with that degree I can advance there.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Journalism at the University of Kentucky.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Uh-oh. I'm currently in my second year as an English major, with no clear idea of what I want to do for a living.

Help?

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By TAFAE

Mechanical Engineering at Cooper Union in NYC, graduating next month with my Bachelor's of Engineering. Shout out to all the other NYC duders, since I'm probably the only person on this website from my sub-1000 person school.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By HerbieBug

I finished my BFa in Art (2D visual) back in '07. I worked freelance for a while. Any interest or enthusiasm I once had for the illustration/design industry or the process itself has long since burned out. My advice? Major in something that is recession resistant (essential services, trades, engineering, law etc.) and preferably not very competitive. Unless you're brilliant and really awesome at whatever it is that you do. If you are that, and I'm sure some of you are, fight like hell to get the job you want. Fight and don't give up until it is painstakingly clear that you're not going to make it.

I no longer work as a graphic artist. My job is about as far removed from that industry as it is possible to be.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#74  Edited By jiggajoe14

Got my BS in Education from Indiana over a year ago......getting a permanent position has been a rough one (not jobless right now though). Hoping to get something soon so that I can move out of my parents home lol.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Jrinswand

I'm about to get a Master's in Literature from Auburn University.

One more month until I'm done with school forever! Maybe! I dunno. I can't really imagine anything more excruciating than getting a PhD at this point in my life.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

@mcghee said:

People like to shit all over community colleges but the one I attend has teachers and staff that actually give a shit and want you to succeed, a stark difference to what I've heard about the local big state university (which I am going to have to transfer to in a year . . . or maybe I'll find somewhere else near by. I don't know.)

Why don't you look into a smaller private school? My school is much smaller then the bigger state schools, and the bestperk is the personal level you can achieve with your teachers. I know almost every teacher in my department(Computer Science) by name as do they me. Every single one of them has been there to help me from everything from homework, getting a job, and just striking up a conversation about something going on in the tech industry. Obviously this can still be achieved at bigger schools, but I am just giving input based on my experience.

On Topic: As I said I am currently getting a BS in Computer Science and just started taking classes to get a Masters in Information Security.

I am exploring my options. Going to UT doesn't appeal to me too much, but they have a study abroad program which is something I really want to do.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Pudge

Yeah, I know it sounds like a bad idea, but the world always needs copy writers. It's a good course if you put the work in, but a bad one if you think you're just a 'naturally good' writer. The only thing worse than reading someones bad story is knowing that its bad in exactly the same ways as the last one.

Good to know I'm not the only one insane enough to go for a Creative Writing degree. I'm graduating from the University of South Florida in a few month, can't wait to never go to class again.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#78  Edited By gla55jAw

Getting my degree next month. Didn't have to take any classes this semester due to a credit transfer issue, otherwise I would have finally graduated last semester. I'll have a Bachelor's in Security Systems (Computer Security & Criminal Justice degree basically). I also just started a job as a Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Manager. Totally unrelated to my degree, but I did an internship there last semester and they hired me part time a month ago. The end of my first week; they hired me full time, gave me a raise to a salary, and I'll have health insurance in a few months. Life is unexpectedly awesome sometimes. I honestly don't know what I'd be doing once I got my degree. Shit is rough out there.

Also, I thought I'd never want to see a college class again (Took me 7 years after an Associate's Degree and 3 major changes), but with this new job, I'm thinking about taking some graphic design or programming classes, maybe even going for another degree, we'll see.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Holy crap. In a couple of months, it'll have been ten years since I graduated college. What the hell happened to the time?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a B.Sc. in physics and 9/10s of a music degree. Ran out of money to go to school with finishing the latter. I really should finish up that music degree. I only need one credit and grade four piano.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jared

Graduated with my Bachelors of Information Technology and Security. Thinking about going back for a masters degree this fall.

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm studying urban and regional planning at Umeå University which I think would be the swedish equivalent for college!

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I currently go to c.w post. My major is english/writing.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

@duskvamp said:

@believer258 said:

I'm about to finish an undergrad in Biological Anthropology, getting ready to take the GRE, and hopefully connive my way into a funded PhD program. I didn't start to do any of this until my late twenties. Further, I'm fairly certain that I couldn't have done until then. Not to sound whiny, but this shit is hard, and requires a lot of maturity to keep your grades at the A level. If Zoology is your desired field (and that's pretty awesome) then you are tacitly planning on taking your education to at least a Masters level, but more than likely a Doctorate. Not many people get to take it that far, and you will be competing to get into programs that only accept five people out of a few hundred. Being a little bit older is, in this case, a pretty good advantage. Your maturity gives you a leg up on other candidates.

More people (in the US, at least) need to study things like Zoology and more specifically Evolutionary Biology. The lack of science understanding aside, this country is turning into a sea of either unemployed MFA graduates or over-employed MBA graduates (which is basically a degree in how to fuck people over.)

Good luck, @duskvamp. I'm rootin' for you.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Working on a bachelors of organisation and management (roughly translated).

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently in the third year of a masters degree in physics, at the University of Sheffield, that counts as college in American vernacular right? I never really got what college actually stands for in America.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finish an undergraduate degree in Modern History and Politics in a couple months. No idea what to do next. Wheeeee!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#89  Edited By Hunter5024

I am going to a community college, I did their little game design program knowing full well that it wasn't the kind of thing that was going to help me get a job, but I intend to use this knowledge to become a bit of a hobby game designer and make small scale 15-20 minute flash games and stuff. Meanwhile I'm working towards getting a bachelors degree in creative writing, I should be transferring to the University of Arizona in about a year I think if my credits work out. Not really sure what kind of job you can get with that, but I've been writing novels since I was 12 years old and getting something else feels wrong. Guys I have no future.

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

English Lit at the University of Kent.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By duskvamp

@duskvamp said:

@believer258 said:

I'm about to finish an undergrad in Biological Anthropology, getting ready to take the GRE, and hopefully connive my way into a funded PhD program. I didn't start to do any of this until my late twenties. Further, I'm fairly certain that I couldn't have done until then. Not to sound whiny, but this shit is hard, and requires a lot of maturity to keep your grades at the A level. If Zoology is your desired field (and that's pretty awesome) then you are tacitly planning on taking your education to at least a Masters level, but more than likely a Doctorate. Not many people get to take it that far, and you will be competing to get into programs that only accept five people out of a few hundred. Being a little bit older is, in this case, a pretty good advantage. Your maturity gives you a leg up on other candidates.

More people (in the US, at least) need to study things like Zoology and more specifically Evolutionary Biology. The lack of science understanding aside, this country is turning into a sea of either unemployed MFA graduates or over-employed MBA graduates (which is basically a degree in how to fuck people over.)

Good luck, @duskvamp. I'm rootin' for you.

Yeah, I definitely couldn't have handled these subjects straight out of HS, personally. My classes are full of 17/18 year olds that don't really know what they want to do, so just mess around in class and don't get the grades, that's what I would have been like. It's really tough, I already dropped maths to try and stave off the impending mental breakdown.

After snooping, I noticed you're from Chicago which is where I'm hoping to study, well Illinois. I'm going there this summer and will hopefully talk to an advisor about community colleges, because right now I couldn't afford university there. Do you know of any in the area that are known to have good biology or animal science courses, and won't leave me in debt for the rest of my life? It's hard to know what to do because I know nothing about the US school system, but right now I'm thinking of going to CC for a couple years and hope to go to a good university there after.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pudge said:
@biggiedubs said:

Good to know I'm not the only one insane enough to go for a Creative Writing degree. I'm graduating from the University of South Florida in a few month, can't wait to never go to class again.

Really? Why's that, if you don't mind me asking? Just a bad class or something?

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By zoozilla

I'm currently in the third year of a masters degree in physics, at the University of Sheffield, that counts as college in American vernacular right? I never really got what college actually stands for in America.

Hey, I might get into an exchange program with the University of Sheffield next year. Is it a nice school?

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@amatureidiot: I'm in my third year of a Physics MSci, too. I'm at Royal Holloway but funnily enough Sheffield was my second choice, mainly because I didn't want to move that far from home.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Levius

@zoozilla said:

@amatureidiot said:

Hey, I might get into an exchange program with the University of Sheffield next year. Is it a nice school?

Yeah, its a really nice place. Sheffield is up there with the most green and safest cities in England. The university itself usually comes in about 30th in the country. I can only really speak to quality of the Physics departments, and to a much lesser extent the Chemistry, Maths and Arts departments, but I think they are pretty good quality staff wise, and the buildings while not super modern are comfortable. The uni is based in the city, and is not strictly a campus, but most of the buildings are centered really close to each other so you get that feel, and our shiny new union building should be finished by next year. The library is really good and modern too. Nightlife wise it's pretty good, mainly because there are two pretty large universities, Sheffield Hallam being the other, for a pretty small city.

So, yeah that's probably as good of a general overview I can give, I would say yes, come to Sheffield.

@mracoon: Wierd, Sheffield was my second choice too, but I didn't get the grades to get into my local uni, Birmingham. Its actually a nice distance away from home, far enough to be independent and make my own bad decisions, but near enough to actually go home occassionally.

thegreatmuta92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By thegreatmuta92

Working toward Comp Sci Bachelors here. Getting done with my general studies classes and can't wait to start learning about computers.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#97  Edited By BoG

I am a student at the University of Utah. I have three majors, Political Science, International Studies, and Spanish. I graduate in a year. I have no idea what I will do after that.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#98  Edited By ManMadeGod

@jdh5153 said:

I have a BA in English from Penn State...Graduated in 2010.... However I didn't have much luck finding a decent job. Everyone wanted 2-3 years experience in the field (I worked at a convenience store through college). I wanted to go to grad school for library science to become I librarian but didn't want to take on any more debt (already $50,000 in the hole)....so I enlisted in the Air Force.

I wanted to go officer into the Air Force, and could have, however I was told by my recruiter I'd end up waiting at least a year, if not two if I went that route...So I went enlisted.... One of these days I'll try to get into OTS, but for now I'm fine just keeping barely afloat :P

Why would you need a masters to be a librarian?

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#99  Edited By amlabella

Man everyone has a technical major these days. I'm a political science major/history minor at UC Davis.

A fellow Aggie on Giant Bomb? Cool!

I'm a third-year English major at UC Davis.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#100  Edited By ManMadeGod

I'll second the people saying get a good idea of what you want to do before you get started at college (it's slang for university you non-Americans :] ) because I fell into the trap of switching majors more than once and I'm going to take longer to graduate as a result. It sucks man.

Do accounting. It's a viable skill and will be useful if you want to do any work in business.

Sometimes people need to take a step back from this "do what you love!" advice. Learn something useful in school, even if it can be dull (accounting).