• 119 results
Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Elwoodan

Just a month or so away from a BA in History from West Virginia University, minors in writing and philosophy, hoping to somehow turn it into a games-related job, I've always wanted to work on the lore-side of world design. also looking at grad school though, might go straight for the MA.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By donkeycow

University of Toronto majoring in History.

On1inepersona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By On1inepersona

Public Relations major (inspired to be after listening to the E3 podcasts complaining about PR not knowing video games) at University of Texas at San Antonio

NemeanOtter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Majoring in Greek and Roman Studies at University of Victoria and considering doing a double major to get my Ancient Languages. Probably one of the least practical career choices I can make but damn do I love Latin.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dropped out and moved to Europe. Cus I'm a dumbass! <3

Nowadays I write about / make music for a living. And by a living I mean I moved to Hungary so that the money I made would be enough to live. Thank the lord for dual citizenship.

Nikoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technical Support at City of Glasgow. Easy shit.

CursedChamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a Computer Network Engineer major.

sir_gunblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By sir_gunblade

I work at a college as a programmer. Does that count?

BadOrcLDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hoping to transfer to UC Davis in the Fall. Majoring in Psychology with a focus on survivors of abuse (i.e., becoming a therapist). I'd actually spend more time on these boards if not for all my classes/work.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By jdh5153

@manmadegod said:

@jdh5153 said:

I have a BA in English from Penn State...Graduated in 2010.... However I didn't have much luck finding a decent job. Everyone wanted 2-3 years experience in the field (I worked at a convenience store through college). I wanted to go to grad school for library science to become I librarian but didn't want to take on any more debt (already $50,000 in the hole)....so I enlisted in the Air Force.

I wanted to go officer into the Air Force, and could have, however I was told by my recruiter I'd end up waiting at least a year, if not two if I went that route...So I went enlisted.... One of these days I'll try to get into OTS, but for now I'm fine just keeping barely afloat :P

Why would you need a masters to be a librarian?

" A second subject master’s is useful (and sometimes required) in many academic positions. Academic librarians who have faculty status are often held to similar tenure and promotion requirements as other faculty, resulting in an emphasis on research, publication, and community service in addition to their day-to-day duties. Find out more at the Association of College & Research Libraries (www.acrl.org).

Also contrary to popular perception, most professional-level librarian positions require an ALA–accredited master’s degree in library and information science (variously referred to as an MLS, MLIS, MSIS, MSLS, MA in LIS, or MS in LIS), depending on the name of the degree at the school you choose). Non-MLS positions are usually paraprofessional-level and in most libraries pay less, although some smaller or rural institutions are staffed mainly or entirely by non-MLS workers, and some of these are one-person shows"

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@inkerman said:

Double degree in Law and Arts at La Trobe University (Australia FTW), majoring in Politics right now but I'll probably transfer into International Relations next Semester.

I'm at Latrobe doing Politics Philosophy and Economics, mind if I ask what politics subject your doing?

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#112  Edited By inkerman

@hidys said:

@inkerman said:

Double degree in Law and Arts at La Trobe University (Australia FTW), majoring in Politics right now but I'll probably transfer into International Relations next Semester.

I'm at Latrobe doing Politics Philosophy and Economics, mind if I ask what politics subject your doing?

Australian Foreign Policy with Michael O'Keefe, just had an exam today.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#113  Edited By LackingSaint

Starting up an English Language & Literature degree at Greenwich University this September. Exciting, though i'm really pretty worried about meeting new people; getting to know strangers isn't a big skill of mine.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#114  Edited By natetodamax

I'm attending University of Maine this year. Undecided about my major.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@voxel: I went to UMaine for undergrad! Assuming you mean Orono.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax: I graduated in 2010 with my chemistry degree. Do you have some idea of what you want to major in?

...And did you just change your name?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By natetodamax

@krataur: Not really, still thinking about it. I was going to do NROTC but I'm losing interest now.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax: I was just wondering, it's not a big deal if you go in undecided. You can spend a semester or two taking gen eds while you figure out what interests you.

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm back for round two! I got my Bachelor's degree in English from IU Bloomington in 2010, and since then I spent a couple of years working low-paying jobs before I finally wised up and got myself back into grad school. I started working towards a Master's of Library Science back in January (I've been working in the field for about three years now), but after encountering the awful hiring practices in the field, I wised up again and changed my degree to a Master's of Information Science. I'm currently teaching myself some basic programming to prep for fall classes, when I'll be diving headfirst into a database rabbit hole. With any luck, two years from now I'll be out in the real world again with a lucrative position.

Public Service Announcement for English Majors: I've heard a lot of wailing and moaning and gnashing of teeth over the years about how English degrees are "useless" and won't get you anywhere in life. I'll tell you now that the true value of an English degree isn't going to reveal itself without a little hindsight. I used my degree as a stepping stone into grad school, because like many other liberal arts majors, English coursework isn't going to develop valuable, hard skills that employers want. Instead, you'll be developing critical thinking skills - you can't quite put it on a resume, but they're invaluable for tackling higher-level graduate coursework and in a great deal of professional positions. Constantly writing research papers does more than familiarize you with the finer points of Shakespeare, it's basically deep thinking practice.