Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys and gals.

I'm looking for two types of people on this site:

1. Those of you who work out on a regular basis
  2. Those of you who want to work out on a regular basis

This might sound super weird. Allow me to explain. I've served in the norwegian army for a year now, and I've realized it's something I want to continue doing. It's just a great lifestyle for me. Anyway, come March I'm trying out for one of our special forces. I'm in pretty good shape at the moment, but pretty good is not good enough. That's why I'm starting a new program on monday.

The program is developed by me and a friend of mine who are both educated personal trainers at a level that would equal college in the states. We have also been advised by our former teacher, who is a doctor(!) in athletics. The basis of our plan is to:

• Increase capacity for basic body weight exercises including push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups
  • Increase maximum lung capacity, both aerobic and anaerobic (with and without oxygen)
  • Increase overall body strength
  • Increase endurance for hiking with added weight

That last part is super specific to my goal though, so that isn't actually part of the plan. Anyway, personally I always find it more fun to train when you can discuss and compare your progress to others. I also have a academic interest in training, and I'm very interested in how this program works, and to really know that I need somewhat of a focus group. And because of that, I'm interested in knowing if any of you duders want to start this program with me? If a decent amount of you want to, I'll make another more detailed thread. I'm thinking we need to be at least 10-15 people to get this rolling. It's a 12 week commitment, with training four times a week. The only pre-requisite is that you have access to a gym with a decent amount of equipment. Nothing special, just the basics.

The benefits of this is that the program works for everyone, because it's focused on body weight and free weight, so it's easy to adjust. A extra benefit is that you get a tailored program that would normally cost you a lot of dollars to get. And I'll personally follow up each and every one who partakes, as much as I can.

Anyway, I hope enough of you want to join. Sound off below and we'll see if we can get this thing rolling.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Slaps2

GIANT BOMB EXERCISE CLUB! I would totally do this, but I've got an exercise program of my own I'm about to get into. Working out is super important to me too. I threw out my back over the summer and I'm just getting over it and back into lifting weights. Even though I'm not going to go with your plan, I'd like to keep up in some capacity. This sounds like fun. I'll keep posted.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Calling @falserelic This seems like a topic right up his alley.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaps2: I did the exact same thing. Got a little too confident with the deadlift, and it just killed my back. Proper form is everything in the deadlift. It kept out of the gym for at least a couple of weeks.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Slaps2

@legion_: Man, I've been out for a couple of months. I'm actually not entirely sure what made it happen.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaps2: Sucks. Might want to go to the good old chiropractor.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This would be a neat thing to do, but I canceled my gym memberships (exercising at home, swimming, and DDP Yoga have been working out just fine for me).

I know we have some lifter types on these forums so hopefully you'll find a couple people here.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've been lifting for about six years. I ended up buying equipment for the house. Instead of going to the gym taking an hour and a half after traveling and such, I get great work outs in 45 mins plus I never have to wait on a machine :)

I've pretty much got my rut for working out. Tons of programs out there, but it seems picking up the weight and setting it down is pretty much all you need to know after all is said and done haha.

Avatar image for thecatswhiskers
thecatswhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By thecatswhiskers

@legion_ said:

The only pre-requisite is that you have access to a gym with a decent amount of equipment. Nothing special, just the basics.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I have a small gym in my building, which is not super well equipped.

sasnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@legion_: I don't exactly lift weights so much, but I'm transitioning from just running (10k/half marathon/marathons) to triathalons and hopefully one day a half ironman or full ironman. Maybe I can just link my Strava progress with you guys? Or if you have a specific program you'll be posting maybe i can try to incorporate it as well. Either way, its a great idea and more exercise is always appreciated!

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_: injuries suck, I was running 10 km a day until a twisted ankle took me out for over a month. pretty much all progress from the last couple months gone.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been lifting for about 2 years now happy to share any knowledge I've picked up in that time if any one has any questions.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You lost me at gym. I also just finished the army and I feel like any training in such a controlled environment is non-applicable to real life and therefore only for those obsessed with aesthetics. I haven't been to the gym since I was like 16(over 8 years) and I can do over 150 push ups in one go, I don't think i'v ever stopped doing sit ups because I am at my limit but I reckon its about a 500, not to say I do these kind of things on a regular basis, its all about either free climbing(with some weird variations) or power hikes.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Legion_

@thecatswhiskers: You're going to need a barbell and disc weights for the main exercise each day (bench press, squats, military press, deadlift). Other than that you'll need dumbbells, kettlebells and a power rack. You'll also want the option to do suspended push-ups and a thread mill for intervals, though you can substitute them for weighted push-ups and just running at a incline outdoors. That should just about do it.

@sasnipes: I'm not familiar with this Strava thing. Tried to google it but it didn't really tell me much. Mind filling me in on it?

@gamefreak9: I can see where you're coming from. Personally I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with aesthetics, but yeah, I care about how I look. I think a muscular frame is a lot more attractive than a skinny frame, but that's just my opinion. I was skinny for a lot of years growing up, and I didn't really like it. That's not the main reason I work out though. I was once at a seminar with Jason Ferrugia, and while I don't agree with everything he said, he said something along the lines that most men are too weak today. And I totally agree with that. There comes a time in every man's life where he'll meet a physical obstacle, and if he's ill equipped to meet that obstacle, he'll wish he was stronger. That's why I train. Anyway, I think the gym is a great place to train, and if you train the right way (lifting free weights instead of using machines) that certainly translates to real life.

@subyman: I think you're right to a degree. As long as people train and stay healthy, that's the best thing. Still, we're at a point where we know so much more about training than we did just a decade or two ago. If you really want to be effective and get the most out of your training, it's easier than ever. That's not to say there's some magic trick though, you have to be willing to put down a lot of blood, sweat and tears at the gym. Good examples are the principle of variation, and the principle of progressive overload. In short they are about how important it is to vary your approach to training, and keep your body guessing. You don't want your body to get accustomed to a certain amount of reps or a certain weight or exercise. If that happens you'll plateau, and you'll get less out of your training. You need to lift heavier, run faster and jump higher to evolve, but you need to be smart about it. For instance, if you do the bench press you might want to do 4x8 reps of 60 kilos one week, and the next week you do 5x5 reps with 65 kilos. That keeps your body guessing. That's a pretty simple example, but you get what I mean.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've started doing a basic weight lifting exercise (5reps of 6 moves x5 with breaks after every set) and a 40min spinning session every 2 days. It's only been 2 weeks so far, but I've noticed a big improvement in my energy levels and eating habits. Sleeping is still unaffected, but I think that is another kind of psychological.

Keeping a habit like this up is very difficult for me. I will consider it a success if I can be consistent for maybe 2 months.... Gotta hang in there. Though I have always had a basic level of fitness, so this is maintenance more than anything. (THANKS DAD! <3) I really feel for you guys who have to start from scratch.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I lifted for a few years off and on and have been trying a calisthenic workout recently and seeing what exercises I like best. So far I've been enjoying that especially since I've saved a bunch not going to the gym and can do the majority of it at home. I have a bench and stuff at home but it sucks not having a spotter. What I personally have to work on now is my diet and cardio. I have a physical job and high metabolism so in order to bulk anything I have to consistently eat a lot which is actually harder than I thought it would be, and I just have to run more which I'll get around to but it's getting cold out and I don't mix well with that. Would be fun to workout with you duders but not sure I'd be able to follow the routine exactly.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I've started going to the gym again, full time, about 4-5 days a week. I do cardio and some light weight training.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy said:

Been lifting for about 2 years now happy to share any knowledge I've picked up in that time if any one has any questions.

What's the longest time you've been lifting without getting caught?

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By myke_tuna

I don't really lift, but I've been getting back into better shape for the past 3 months. I've lost about 35 pounds, so far. I started out weighing 183 lbs (biggest I've ever been) and I'm sitting at 148 lbs now.

I'm mainly trying to focus on losing all this fat. I do about 100 min on my stationary bike machine, 6 days a week and recently added about 20 min of jump rope every now and then. I have shitty flat feet (and no health insurance for now, one day I'll get em checked out), but I still want to incorporate running off and on during the week too. I'm thinking it's mostly form problems though that leads to painful feet/shin splints.

As far as weight training, I do shoulders, back, biceps, triceps, chest, and legs in that order throughout the week. I don't lift crazy heavy, so I'm probably not getting "gains" like the bros, but I'm just glad I'm lifting a lot heavier than when I started. For example, I used to struggle to bench 80 lbs, but now I bench 125 lbs regularly.

I've also been dieting. I realized that all this time in the gym is great, but the diet is what really gets you. I'm not on anything specific, but I try to eat healthier things and count calories with MyFitnessPal. I try and stay within a reasonable amount every day. Maybe I'm doing everything wrong, but it's been working out (pun intended) pretty well so far.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@myketuna: that sounds pretty good to me.

Out of interest what does everyone bench here? Im talking about for reps as opposed to 1 rep max.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Legion_

@carryboy: I train with some variation of 75 - 85 kilos and 5-8 reps. I usually hit the higher kilos, and do less reps, but it's important to get some variation in there. I've lifted 110 kilos for my max rep, and I'm pretty fucking pleased with that. It's something about those three digit lifts.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just do p90x when my son goes to bed . I don't go for muscle mass, just tone. So long as I don't have a gut and I can keep up with my son I'm happy.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(Sadly it is)

I love going to the gym. I'm 198 pounds, but I used to be 330 (I was fat as fuck I know). I'm trying to get all nice and tone so I can achieve the body I lustfully desire. Even though I go to the gym to take my mind off of stress. I would be lying if I say women didn't play a role. I got to look good and clean so I can have sex with multiple different women. That day will come and my efforts will pay off in time I'm sure of it.

Anyway I go to the gym everyday. I'm no expert never was at all. All my knowledge came from youtube vids and experience, but I know the basics. Be at a caloric deficit to lose weight or a surplus to gain weight. My main goal is to get lean and ripped. I do weight training and cardio. I eat pretty healthy for most part, but every now and then I'll treat myself.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Brazilian jiu jitsu, getting into MMA, crossfit and working out at home. I train every day. In no position to try your workout.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I'm in a similar situation. Doing wing chun, free climbing and working out at home. I train 5-6 days per week, and that's enough for me.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ I try to go to the gym 4 times a week, but sometimes it's 3 or 2 depending on whether or not I feel good enough to actually go. Nevertheless, would you mind sharing a couple of more details of your workout plan?

Avatar image for mastab8ing_bear
mastab8ing_bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_: Colour me curious. Keen to see what your plan is like!

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ said:

@carryboy: I train with some variation of 75 - 85 kilos and 5-8 reps. I usually hit the higher kilos, and do less reps, but it's important to get some variation in there. I've lifted 110 kilos for my max rep, and I'm pretty fucking pleased with that. It's something about those three digit lifts.

110 one rep max is nice, thats a pretty good jump from your regular weight. Im up to 100 for 6 now havent tried a one rep max in months.

@smtdante89 said:

(Sadly it is)

I love going to the gym. I'm 198 pounds, but I used to be 330 (I was fat as fuck I know). I'm trying to get all nice and tone so I can achieve the body I lustfully desire. Even though I go to the gym to take my mind off of stress. I would be lying if I say women didn't play a role. I got to look good and clean so I can have sex with multiple different women. That day will come and my efforts will pay off in time I'm sure of it.

Anyway I go to the gym everyday. I'm no expert never was at all. All my knowledge came from youtube vids and experience, but I know the basics. Be at a caloric deficit to lose weight or a surplus to gain weight. My main goal is to get lean and ripped. I do weight training and cardio. I eat pretty healthy for most part, but every now and then I'll treat myself.

You amuse me sir, got to respect your honesty.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: A pro tip about losing weight is this: Eat lots of protein. You might have heard how people generally don't need to add extra protein to their diets, and that's mostly true. Any surplus protein go straight through the body and come out the other end as... piss, literally. The good thing about this is that you can eat yourself full on protein, and rid yourself of any surplus protein that would normally just end up as fat.

@carryboy: Yeah it's a healthy jump. When I train alone I'm a bit cautious going above 85 kilos, so I usually end up going no higher than that. I think I can train with 90 now, but I'm not gonna take that risk without someone spotting.

@mastab8ing_bear: I think a little more traction among the userbase is required for me to get this thing off the ground. It's a pretty significant time investment. Maybe I'll post the program itself here, and see if that attracts some more attention.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go to the gym 4-6 times a week doing and have been going on and off for nearly a decade that it's now become part of my lifestyle. I never got "huge" and that's not really my goal, I prioritize more towards safety, form and sustainability as I want to be in it for the long haul; injuring myself trying to do too much weight is not conducive to that plan! Part of the fun is experimenting with different stuff (also, you kind of have to I feel like). I also play volleyball on tuesdays and do interval sprint training (1min on 2min off for 6 times) on the elliptical over the weekend. And I also have a treadmill desk, so... I'm that guy D:

Having all that said, I'm not interested in changing my routine at the moment but interested to see how your focus group goes though!

Goldone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Goldone

I would be really interested in this, I tend to go to the gym 3-4 times a week and the days I don't I get in a basic workout at home. Unfortunately I can't do any lifting at the moment though as I broke a bone in my hand near my wrist and am weak as a kitten for now.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

In regards to the "Increase endurance for hiking with added weight": I found that good running condition relates to this heavily. Before my service, I played lots of soccer and was able to run over 3,1 km in the Cooper test. With that base, carrying around 25kg basic load all the time was no problem, neither was the 40kg full load. Full load with couple of 10kg mines and camping stove however was something I would rather not haul all day. So those that want to have good hiking condition, running is good option. Hiking with a load is easier if you can keep energy up by eating right and staying hydrated.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Legion_

@charlie_victor_bravo: Absolutely. Hydrating is extremely important when hiking with a load. The rule of thumb we use in the norwegian army is to drink 1-2 dl every ten minutes. That's the total amount of water the body is able to absorb in the shortest time. Drink more than that and it generally goes straight out again. This is gonna sound weird, but if your piss is blank with just a slight yellow tint, you're perfectly hydrated. Hey, I told it was gonna sound weird.

wait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By wait

@legion_ Hey bud I'm all for trying a different workout routine then what i'm used to; honestly I'm getting bored. I do a more crossfit like workout routine with more of a focus on leg core and distance running. Anything you're trying to set up I'm willing to listen.

Chtasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a GB Fitocracy group, but it's just about as active as the average gamer.

https://www.fitocracy.com/group/13349/?chatter

pinkbelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i really enjoy training with kettlebells, you get an all over workout in about 30 minute that is a combination of weight training and cardio, meaning you dont have to go for a run or jump on a bike after a weight session, this book is great...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Ultimate-Kettlebells-Workbook-Revolutionary-ebook/dp/B0051QH2X6

puppies4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legion_ Conditioning and overall health have been a big part of my life for quite a while (I was very overweight as a child). At the moment I'm on a specific training regimen for rock climbing so I won't be able to fully commit but I'm in full support of seeing this get off the ground and follow along, I'm always interested in seeing other people's progress and what works/doesn't work for them.

Will you be addressing the nutrition side of training? That's half the battle right there.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will you be addressing the nutrition side of training? That's half the battle right there.

You know, I definitely think there are some great benefits to keeping a rather strict diet. On the other hand, I think strict diets are often something that end up ruining the enjoyment of training for a lot of people. I'd say the general problem when training as hard as my program requires, is actually eating enough.

As long as you stay away from a lot of fast and frozen food, I'd say you're already half way there. If you also add protein filled meals to your diet, like fish and chicken, you'll be able to eat until you feel full, and the great thing with protein is that the body rids itself with any surplus protein super fast. That means less fat, while still being able to enjoy a good and nutritious meal.

So basically, build your meals around protein rich food, and get some potatoes and vegetables in there for the vitamins and minerals. A lot of people don't really like fish, and if you can't eat it, I'd recommend getting a supplement for Omega 3. A lot of people will tell you that it's hard to eat right, but I don't buy it. Unless you're a top athelte, you can stick to the basic mediterranean diet with just some added meat and chicken and be just about covered in every way.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

If you view it as a battle, it might be as much as 95% of it.

I'm a sports dietitian. Clients of mine who can't control themselves from overeating or taking certain foods in moderation, don't make as much progress as everyone else or actually take a step back. I have come to discover it is incredibly hard to help these people to actually achieve their goals. Psychology plays a much greater role here than simply knowing how to eat and train.

Setting up a personalized diet to fit someone's needs is easy; getting these groups of people to actually stick to it or find something that works for them, that is the challenge that hasn't been overcome yet. Otherwise, the majority of western population wouldn't be overweight. Also supported by studies, as they have shown it is not due to a lack of knowledge.

If you're lacking info, it is out there. Or you can ask me. If you are just having trouble finding something that works for you, that will be a challenge.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work out 5 days a week but I don't go to a gym (I'm very cheap). I'm a creature of habit so if I miss a day I feel like a horrible person =(

Also, kettlebells tear your hands up ><

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might be the wrong place to ask but just curious what would you recommend to someone with asthma and heart problems? Granted i get a ton of exercise at my job as i work for a HVAC company but i'v always wanted to get into running, thing is after about 5 minutes my lungs are on fire and my heart rate is through the roof so i guess im sorta screwed there. Anyways good luck to you all.

Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dew

I've gotten into running quite a bit lately, and wanting to venture into other types of exercise, but I don't have a gym membership or equipment. Usually just do body weight stuff.

Perhaps someone has a good workout routine for just body weight exercising?

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am about 15 months into my consistent diet/exercise routine. The last time a fitness topic came up I think I was still struggling with a stress fracture in my foot that was taking forever to heal. Having finally gotten a clean bill of health I have been able to resume my running. I am taking more precautions not to push myself as hard but I want to steadily build up the stamina I had lost during the recovery downtime.