Any Good online colleges?

bmurda86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I want to finish my degree but the job I have does not allow me time too get anywhere close too a campus. So I want some recommendations, has anybody on the boards completed an online degree? And if so, what was the experience like? "Where" did you attend.

bmurda86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I could not have articulated that any better. I completely believe that I'm paying for the ridiculous piece of paper. I am interested in finishing up, at my previous college I was only 4 classes from a degree. Stands to reason if I transfer my credits I won't have to pay much more for the credentials. If I ever get tired of what I do now, having some degree in my resume is going to be better than listing (some college) or even nothing at all under education.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

I just finished my BS with University of Phoenix a couple of months ago. I think it was as good an experience as I might have on a campus. Employers are looking for degrees and work experience which can be a difficult expectation to meet. UoP carries with it a stigma, it's just something you have to work hard to overcome. Mechanical and Electrical engineers are, in my world, the highly sought after. I don't share the same view as Vinny does here in this thread. I've done both a campus and online coursework. He's judging people off a checklist. I make as much as he does, and clearly I'm doing it a very different way.

If those vitriolic statements are what someone like him thinks, that's disappointing. You should do your financial research, avoid online colleges if possible, but do it if it makes sense for you. If the post wasn't so long I'd say he was trolling, because it's all kind of absurd and harsh. Be smart about it, but don't base any decision like this on the opinion of people named "Godzilla Sushi" and "Christian Conservative Vinny."

I'm only here to give you a counter to him. I have no idea what his background, family, or financial situation is.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By stonyman65

Are you sure you wanna finish your degree? Do you know what you want to do and that it actually requires a degree? Is spending clock time, calendar time, and buttloads of money really the smartest thing to get what you want? Have you talked to people in whatever field it is you wanna go into and seen if a degree is the best way to go about it? I'm a computer science major at UT and we're basically guaranteed a $70+k/yr job upon graduation but if I had to pay for my degree myself I would've said "fuck it" and pursued other avenues for becoming a software developer.

Unless you have money to burn, don't major in something just for funsies, either. If you wanna major in history or something then you have the entire internet at your disposal to learn history. You can learn basically whatever you'd want to in school for free or close to it. It's just that school gives you a credential. Which you don't really need if you've got a group of people willing to vouch for your knowledge in a subject area.

Regardless of what anyone says, it is totally untrue that any degree is better than no degree. Don't go to a for-profit school. If you're talking about DeVry and The University of Phoenix and so on, the BEST they can do is neither help nor hurt. If I were looking at your resume, I'd rather see no degree than a degree from the University of Phoenix. It shows that you're not willing to even google the name of the school and see that literally every result that isn't BY the school is "this school is bullshit, don't go to it" before committing to an expensive and time-consuming process of getting a degree. And then you're there for 4 years while plugging your ears while everything and everyone is screaming at you that you're wasting time and money. I'd question your judgment and assume you're not very smart. Not only because you'd be parading around an easy degree from a shitty school as some sort of accomplishment, but also because finding out the school is shitty is SO FUCKING EASY and it never occurred to you to.

So the answer to your question is yes. Plenty of real schools offer degrees completely online. But make sure you're not wasting your money and don't major in something retarded since college is just about the worst way to learn about a subject. You're not going there to learn, you're going there to network and to get a sheet of paper.

$70k a year? Yeah. Good luck with that.