#1 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Anybody know any good movies about the vikings or movies with vikings in them ? 

#2 Edited by HarveyBirdman (9 posts) -

I think the enjoyed "The 13th Warrior" when I saw it 11 years ago...but I was 14 and probably dumb. 

#3 Posted by zombie2011 (4969 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: Probably not what you're looking for but How to Train Your Dragon was really good, the movies about Vikings vs Dragons.
#4 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -

The 13th Warrior. 
Beowulf

I enjoyed both of these movies quite a bit.

#5 Edited by nanikore (2740 posts) -

Nevermind.

#6 Posted by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -
Erik the Viking...funny stuff.  And, I think the new Dragon cartoon is about vikings.
#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

How to Train Your Dragon.

Heh.

#8 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Outlander has vikings and aliens and Ron Perlman.

#9 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" Arn. It's in Swedish but still pretty good. "
You'd call that a Viking movie? It focuses alot on the Templar Knights, don't remember many Vikings in that

Jag tyckte också att den var lite usel men det ä min åsikt det :P
#10 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -
@Venatio said:
" @nanikore said:
" Arn. It's in Swedish but still pretty good. "
You'd call that a Viking movie? It focuses alot on the Templar Knights, don't remember many Vikings in that  Jag tyckte också att den var lite usel men det ä min åsikt det :P "
Wait, fuck. 
#11 Posted by Castiel (2541 posts) -

#12 Edited by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
#13 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4585 posts) -

As people have said, the 13th Warrior is pretty sweet. 

@Castiel: That looks kinda cool, never heard of it before. Also, I approve of your name, assuming you got it from where I think you did.

#14 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@HarveyBirdman said:
" I think the enjoyed "The 13th Warrior" when I saw it 11 years ago...but I was 14 and probably dumb.  "
@Unchained said:
" The 13th Warrior.   "
Oh right... last time i watched that movie was like 2 years ago, i shall watch it tonight ! 

@Unchained said:
"  Beowulf "
The 1999 movie or the 2007 computer animated movie? I remember watching the 1999 one and finding it extremely shitty and boring 
#15 Posted by chronicsmoke (996 posts) -

The 13th warrior was pretty good

#16 Posted by pazuzu156 (1 posts) -

Severed ways is also a good one. Slow and low budget but I liked it plus it had a lot of viking and black metal music that made it more enjoyable to me

#17 Posted by Phr4nk0 (349 posts) -

Valhalla Rising is real good, eerie and brutal. If you haven't seen it I would definitely recommend it, though you have to go into it with the right expectations. If you're looking for an action movie then you're sure to be bored, it has some good action in it but the pacing is slower.

#18 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

@Castiel said:

I came in to say this movie. I really like this movie, but I could see way more people really disliking it. This is a slow ass movie. But I really enjoyed it.

#19 Edited by Jams (2960 posts) -

@Phr4nk0 said:

Valhalla Rising is real good, eerie and brutal. If you haven't seen it I would definitely recommend it, though you have to go into it with the right expectations. If you're looking for an action movie then you're sure to be bored, it has some good action in it but the pacing is slower.

is that the one where they go on the boat to some place and one guy gets butt sexed while they're all tripping?

edit: yeah, that's the one. That movie is cray cray

#20 Posted by wrecks (2217 posts) -

Necro thread alert! But, If you like your Viking with a side of Sci-Fi (or vice versa) :

#21 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

@JasonR86: Same here. Definitely a slow burn, but very worth the watch. Refn's artistry on full display.

Also, OLD THREAD

#22 Posted by ozzdog12 (856 posts) -

Everytime I hear or think of Vikings, this comes to mind

#23 Posted by forkboy (1118 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

Erik the Viking...funny stuff. And, I think the new Dragon cartoon is about vikings.

Wonderful memories of seeing that as a kid. Lots of fun.

#24 Posted by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

@forkboy said:

@PenguinDust said:

Erik the Viking...funny stuff. And, I think the new Dragon cartoon is about vikings.

Wonderful memories of seeing that as a kid. Lots of fun.

Speaking of kids, the Dragon cartoon movie I referred to two years ago begins as a TV series tonight on Cartoon Network. Timely thread resurrection.

#25 Posted by Izbaadin_Islamabad (71 posts) -

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Don't know the name in english but it is supposed to be quite good.

Yeah, "When the raven flies" and "Shadow of the raven" are both classics well worth seeing.

#26 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2233 posts) -
#27 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

@Castiel said:

#28 Posted by Christoffer (1762 posts) -

There's an Icelandic classic called Hrafninn flýgur (it's called When the Raven Flies in the US, I think). It was released in 1984 so it might be a bit old but I remember liking it quite a lot. It's a while since I saw it though.

#29 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

@Castiel said:

beat me to it, and its on netflix.

#30 Posted by SubwayD (477 posts) -

People have already said it, but Valhalla Rising is so good.

It's more of a minimal Celt art house film than strait-up Vikings bashing each other, though.

#31 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

18,000 posts later and still no good Viking movies.

#32 Posted by fox01313 (5064 posts) -

Tried to find some also & seems that How to Train your Dragon & Erik the Viking are the only ones that stand out at being recommendable/entertaining.

#33 Posted by Castiel (2541 posts) -

@stinky said:

@Castiel said:

beat me to it, and its on netflix.

Damn straight I beat you to it! By 2 years and 4 months ;)

Nah all kidding aside I'm glad more and more people are getting to know some of Refn's earlier work. Both Bronson and Valhalla Rising are magnificient films in each their way.

#34 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3062 posts) -

13th warrior is that the movie with the ninja kangaroos in it? That movie was terrible, I remember we snuck out of that movie mid-way to watch Anaconda, which was equally terrible.

*Movie was called "Warriors of Virtue" ah man so bad. I remember I got a collector edition coin when we went to see that film, I eventually threw it in the middle of a busy intersection and watched it got run over a zillion times. Ah 1997.