Any Melbourne-based duders for a podcast?

mwjeffcott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mwjeffcott

Hey!

I haven't been able to be as active on this forum as I'd like for a while (you know, life gets in the way and stuff). As part of an effort to be more involved with Giant Bomb, and gaming in general, I'm looking at starting a gaming podcast. Ideally, I'm looking for someone who is also based in Melbourne, Australia just to make some of the logistics around recording easier. That being said, I'm not opposed to trying to do it over the internet.

Anyway, if you're at all interested, send me a message or post below. I'm keen on getting started soonish, and even have an unused domain that would be perfect for this.

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By HIMSteveO

Sounds like a pretty cool idea. I have some questions though:

1) When would you be thinking of recording, and how often?

2) What 'format' would you be thinking of? Like the Bombcast 'stages' or something different?

3) For internet recording (I'm in Perth), what quality of microphone would you require?

That's all I can think of at this point, but, like I said, sounds like a good idea...

mwjeffcott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@himsteveo

1) I'm flexible on recording time. Would ideally put out a weekly podcast, but I'm happy to start a little more infrequently at first.

2) There are certain aspects of the Bombcast I like and would want to emulate. I basically want to have a loose structure, and be free to take off on tangents from time to time. The format could be tied in to my unused domain name I was thinking of using, which is shouldiplaythisgame.com. Also, I spend quite a bit of my time playing games that aren't necessarily the latest thing, so it's likely that it would end up being more of talking about games as opposed to talking mostly about what's new and current.

3) I'm thinking that the first few recordings would be done with whatever you have handy, just to work out the format and stuff. Kind of like a proof of concept. After that, I'd like to be recording at a somewhat decent quality, but it's not a requirement straight away. In terms of recording over the internet: I was thinking of recording a Skype call or Google Hangout. To make things better, I had thought of each of us doing local recordings as well and mixing them together afterwards, just to get around any degradation of quality from using Skype/Hangouts.

With all that said, I am completely open to discussion on everything. Mostly, I'm just really keen to start a gaming podcast. I have dabbled recently with recording a more pop culture focused podcast and it's made me realise I want to do more of it. Let me know if you're keen and we can talk some more about it.

bargearse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd be interested. I have tried doing a group podcast in the past but real life etc.. always got in the way. Just recently I started doing a fortnightly solo podcast which sort of works, but I would prefer to be in a group. I am in Hobart, and can be quite flexible with recording time. I also own a Yeti microphone which seems a pretty good quality microphone.

I am keen if you want to talk more.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Put me down as interested, I'm in Melbourne but I would not be opposed to trying it over the internet.

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By HIMSteveO

Sounds good. I'd be interested to get in on this. I'm looking into the Yeti mics so audio quality shouldn't be a problem after too long. I think it could be interesting recording with people from around the country too.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

ME ME ME i live in melbourne,

mwjeffcott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@himsteveo@bargearse@phampire@treetrunk and anyone else who is interested:

Can you send me a PM covering the following:

1. When is a good time for you to record?
  2. Do you have access to a quality mic, or are you willing to get one?
  3. Do you have a decent home internet connection? (It'll make the recording process smoother)
  4. What's your favourite way to play games? Favourite platform, genre etc.
  5. A brief bit on you. What you do for work, any interests etc.

I want to be really up front with how I want to do this. I want to make sure that the chemistry of the group works, otherwise it won't be fun for us or anyone listening. Treat this kind of like an audition. I want to get at least 3 in on this (myself + at least 2). It'll come down to who is a good fit for me and for the group.

Get me your PMs by Friday, May 30. I'll check them out over the weekend and get back to you next week.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to be super manager-y or serious about this. I just want to make sure we do it right from the beginning.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Good to see people getting in on this. I live in Melbourne but I'm only interested in listening to the podcast B^)

By the way, shouldiplaythisga.me would be a cooler domain name and it is still available!