• 65 results
#1 Posted by guanophobic (306 posts) -

For me it´s absolutely been songs like these, appearing on almost every other vine-video:

Or why not (screamo?) bands like Brokencyde:

#2 Edited by CaLe (3985 posts) -

I don't come into contact with much of it in my daily life. I'm good at cocooning myself. Cocooning.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (9083 posts) -

All the time. Lotsa meaningless kerfuffle and cacophony. This generation is going to hell in a hand-basket.

Rock and roll is going to be the death of this nation.

#4 Posted by guanophobic (306 posts) -

Man, I watched Cocoon last night. Coincidence? I think not.

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (9083 posts) -

@cale said:

I don't come into contact with much of it in my daily life. I'm good at cocooning myself. Cocooning.

Cocooning is definitely a real term, and it almost exactly fits how you are using it.

#7 Posted by zenmastah (913 posts) -

Yeah, recently someone wrote that hey dont know who Wil Wheaton is.

Made me feel quite old.

#8 Posted by TruthTellah (9083 posts) -

@zenmastah: haha. Mostly unrelated to the topic, but your userpic cracked me up. That woman's expression... ughhh...

#9 Edited by zenmastah (913 posts) -

@truthtellah: For sure, ive been enjoying Vinny playing those FMV games lately.

#10 Edited by DarkShaper (1333 posts) -

@guanophobic: I'm younger than the guys in that video and brokeNCYDE still makes me look down on the "kids these days"

#11 Posted by Haruko (299 posts) -

What is swag and why does everyone care about it and or the lack of it?

#12 Posted by zenmastah (913 posts) -

I believe you have to have swag, but im not entirely sure why.

#13 Edited by Nodima (1203 posts) -

One of my very first "I am getting old, huh?" moments came a few weeks ago when Wale & Rihanna's "Bad [Remix]" was playing on the radio and I started arguing about how fine a song it is but how it should absolutely NOT be on the radio, because the primary radio audience is <16 years old and I really don't think they need Rihanna cooing "Yeah I'll be good in bed / But I'll be bad to you / I never made love, no I never did it / But I sure know how to fuck" with the fuck just BARELY faded out of the mix.

Then I stumble onto the "Blurred Lines" controversy and feel much younger again. Ah, limbo.

#14 Posted by SinGulaR (2310 posts) -

Those videos don't make me feel old, but incredibly smart.

#15 Posted by Morningstar (2161 posts) -

Never heard about any of this. So no.

#16 Posted by Petiew (1348 posts) -

@haruko said:

What is swag and why does everyone care about it and or the lack of it?

if u dont know it means u aint got any son. boom roasted! #SWAG #YOLO

#17 Edited by Tearhead (2168 posts) -

Not really. The first three songs aren't great, but they don't offend me. But then again, I'm a black 23 year old and this is what they play in the clubs I go to.

That said, Brokencyde is fucking terrible. It's the audio version of rape.

#18 Posted by Kaineda77 (132 posts) -

You should listen to politics or business talks, they make you feel young!

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Remembering a time when you guys didn't have television makes me feel old.

#20 Posted by newhaap (421 posts) -

Dubstep... I don't get it...

#21 Edited by yoshisaur (2723 posts) -

Fortunately, no. I'm one of those people who legitimately stopped giving a crap what kids are into these days, and found the wisdom to let them set fire to their own futures. I'll still never understand why anyone would be so crazy/involved to stand in lines waiting to be in a video that portrays them as whores, though. Referencing the "Booty Me Down" ....song?

PS: I skipped the final one beforehand. I really have nothing to say to that but "what the fuck?"

#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Not really man, I'm loving everything these days. Pop culture is as silly and dumb as ever and that's totally cool, I revel in it. I got no time to be worrying about my ever-increasing age. I leave that to actual old people.

#23 Posted by Ben_H (3361 posts) -

When I looked up what Juicy J was after one of my coworkers told me that his little brother was obsessed with the dude, I lost that last tiny bit of faith in humanity I had left. Juicy J is like Riff Raff but he is actually serious. He is also a significantly worse musician than Riff Raff.

#24 Edited by Pudge (886 posts) -

Every time something like Total Recall or Robocop gets a shitty Hollywood remake, I feel like shit. Then I go see The Expendables and I feel better.

On the music front, I'm a fan of Heavy Metal and 80s pop, so I don't think there's ever been a time in my life where the music that is popular hasn't made me shake my head.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

The fact that I don't know what is currently popular makes me feel old.

#26 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Twerking. I like girls and their asses, but twerking is gross and bothers me. A new Kpop girl group featured twerking and it pissed me the hell off.

#27 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3393 posts) -

@mcghee: Twerking is the pg version of daggering. This won't please Alexis.

#28 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

@mcghee:

What's twerking?

@i_stay_puft:

WHAT'S DAGGERING?

#29 Edited by LTSmash (626 posts) -

I was born the same month Ghostbusters came out and recently saw a piece of promotional for its 30th anniversary, which was weird.

#30 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

I felt pretty old yesterday when I was reminded that Mario 3 came out in 1988. I was only placated somewhat by the fact that it was not released in North America until 1990.

I felt old because Mario 3 and the NES was the second generation of video game consoles I had experience with. There are people approaching 20 years old right now whose first console gen was the 360/PS3/Wii. T___T

#31 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@ben_h said:

When I looked up what Juicy J was after one of my coworkers told me that his little brother was obsessed with the dude, I lost that last tiny bit of faith in humanity I had left. Juicy J is like Riff Raff but he is actually serious. He is also a significantly worse musician than Riff Raff.

Thumbs down

#32 Posted by Milkman (16797 posts) -

@ben_h said:

Thumbs down

Double thumbs down.

You guys realize that those songs posted in the OP aren't actually popular? Kids aren't going around saying "I LOVE BROKENCYDE!" (I mean, I guess some kid somewhere is probably saying that.) They're just dumb internet things.

#33 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3393 posts) -

I noticed kids now are starting to rock monacles again. Yeah was like wtf.

#34 Posted by RupertTheBear (189 posts) -
#35 Posted by Dot (163 posts) -

@ben_h said:

I can't believe you just compared Juicy J to Riff Raff...

#36 Edited by MikeJFlick (443 posts) -

I haven't listened to the radio in years, 4+ at the very least, and apparently I haven't been missing anything.

#37 Edited by Ben_H (3361 posts) -

@dot said:

@ben_h said:

I can't believe you just compared Juicy J to Riff Raff...

It was in a negative light. I appreciate Riff Raff. There is nothing good about Juicy J.

Edit: And keep in mind I am 100% out of touch with current pop culture so any analysis I have of it will be from afar, and likely completely wrong.

#38 Posted by Slay3r1583 (612 posts) -

I've never really kept up with the latest fads and trends and pop culture stuff so I've always kind of felt out of the loop.

#39 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

@dot: Juicy Jay won an Oscar with the 3 6 Mafia. I will not have you degrade him here.

#40 Edited by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

People talking about Juicy J like he is Riff Raff in this thread makes me feel old. This only happened in 2005.

#41 Posted by stryker1121 (1442 posts) -

The new Miley Cyrus video ('We Can't Stop') made me feel old and more annoyed than I should have been. It just depresses me that potentially dozens of people spent hundreds of hours writing, directing, producing and catering that video.

#42 Posted by chiablo (929 posts) -

Pop culture is always attracted to the stupidest things. I don't see that much difference between this and whatever the hell Vanilla Ice was doing in the 90's. This kind of stuff doesn't really make me feel old or out of touch, it just makes me appreciate music where people are playing actual instruments and writing their own songs.

#43 Posted by Elwoodan (830 posts) -

The rise of smartphones kinda bugs me, it super rude how some people are more engaged in their phones than they are with the person across the dinner table, but I'm the ripe old age of 22 so I remember when 10-year-olds didn't have iPhones....

#44 Posted by fox01313 (5073 posts) -

Old? Nope, just facepalm & go on with life. Then again never been that tuned into pop culture to let it get to me, I just cherry pick what I like & if it's pop culture or not I could care less.

#45 Posted by tourgen (4500 posts) -

nope.

pop culture has always been shitty and annoying. nothing really new or outstanding about the new wave of dumb.

#46 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -

For a long, long, long time it's made me feel old... But hearing "Life During Wartime" playing on the grocery store music system (a standard ass mega mart mind you) in 2005... was really weird.

#47 Posted by SunBroZak (1116 posts) -

Nah, 18 is too young to feel old. It'd be more likely for me to be associated with the current generation, which may be more depressing. I've always had an appreciation for the 80's, so I don't really follow what the trends of today are.

#48 Posted by ShaggE (6454 posts) -

What makes me feel old is that I've lately been seeing people wax nostalgic about shows like That's So Raven or whatever.

What makes me feel older is just now realizing that show debuted 10 years ago, so it kinda makes sense that somebody in their very early 20s would be nostalgic for it.

And now I'm running all sorts of math in my head, and it's blowing my mind realizing that people only seven years younger than me likely started gaming with the PS2, and just as likely started with the current generation. Maaaybe PS/N64 or Dreamcast, if they started early like I did. (in contrast, I started in the NES era)

I'm going to be rather curmudgeonly when I actually do get old, I can tell.

#49 Edited by gokaired (534 posts) -

rap the past 6 or so years makes me feel old. :(

#50 Posted by Flappy (2250 posts) -

@jasonr86: @rupertthebear:

Due to the nature of the average daggering video, I'll just refrain from posting one in this topic. In a nutshell, it's essentially a bunch of humping/grinding to the beat of a song. It's sex, but with clothes on. Find it at your nearest club! Caribbean folk are pretty prominent in the videos, so if you look it up, prepare yourself for a lot of, "Mash it up," "Bruk it down," and other accent-heavy Island lingo.

Happy trails!