Any recent pop culture made you feel old?

• 65 results
guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

For me it´s absolutely been songs like these, appearing on almost every other vine-video:

Or why not (screamo?) bands like Brokencyde:

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CaLe

I don't come into contact with much of it in my daily life. I'm good at cocooning myself. Cocooning.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

All the time. Lotsa meaningless kerfuffle and cacophony. This generation is going to hell in a hand-basket.

Rock and roll is going to be the death of this nation.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Man, I watched Cocoon last night. Coincidence? I think not.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

I don't come into contact with much of it in my daily life. I'm good at cocooning myself. Cocooning.

Cocooning is definitely a real term, and it almost exactly fits how you are using it.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, recently someone wrote that hey dont know who Wil Wheaton is.

Made me feel quite old.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zenmastah: haha. Mostly unrelated to the topic, but your userpic cracked me up. That woman's expression... ughhh...

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zenmastah

@truthtellah: For sure, ive been enjoying Vinny playing those FMV games lately.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By DarkShaper

@guanophobic: I'm younger than the guys in that video and brokeNCYDE still makes me look down on the "kids these days"

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

What is swag and why does everyone care about it and or the lack of it?

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe you have to have swag, but im not entirely sure why.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By Nodima

One of my very first "I am getting old, huh?" moments came a few weeks ago when Wale & Rihanna's "Bad [Remix]" was playing on the radio and I started arguing about how fine a song it is but how it should absolutely NOT be on the radio, because the primary radio audience is <16 years old and I really don't think they need Rihanna cooing "Yeah I'll be good in bed / But I'll be bad to you / I never made love, no I never did it / But I sure know how to fuck" with the fuck just BARELY faded out of the mix.

Then I stumble onto the "Blurred Lines" controversy and feel much younger again. Ah, limbo.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Those videos don't make me feel old, but incredibly smart.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never heard about any of this. So no.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haruko said:

What is swag and why does everyone care about it and or the lack of it?

if u dont know it means u aint got any son. boom roasted! #SWAG #YOLO

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#17  Edited By tearhead

Not really. The first three songs aren't great, but they don't offend me. But then again, I'm a black 23 year old and this is what they play in the clubs I go to.

That said, Brokencyde is fucking terrible. It's the audio version of rape.

Kaineda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You should listen to politics or business talks, they make you feel young!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Remembering a time when you guys didn't have television makes me feel old.

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dubstep... I don't get it...

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By kindgineer

Fortunately, no. I'm one of those people who legitimately stopped giving a crap what kids are into these days, and found the wisdom to let them set fire to their own futures. I'll still never understand why anyone would be so crazy/involved to stand in lines waiting to be in a video that portrays them as whores, though. Referencing the "Booty Me Down" ....song?

PS: I skipped the final one beforehand. I really have nothing to say to that but "what the fuck?"

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really man, I'm loving everything these days. Pop culture is as silly and dumb as ever and that's totally cool, I revel in it. I got no time to be worrying about my ever-increasing age. I leave that to actual old people.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I looked up what Juicy J was after one of my coworkers told me that his little brother was obsessed with the dude, I lost that last tiny bit of faith in humanity I had left. Juicy J is like Riff Raff but he is actually serious. He is also a significantly worse musician than Riff Raff.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Pudge

Every time something like Total Recall or Robocop gets a shitty Hollywood remake, I feel like shit. Then I go see The Expendables and I feel better.

On the music front, I'm a fan of Heavy Metal and 80s pop, so I don't think there's ever been a time in my life where the music that is popular hasn't made me shake my head.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

The fact that I don't know what is currently popular makes me feel old.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twerking. I like girls and their asses, but twerking is gross and bothers me. A new Kpop girl group featured twerking and it pissed me the hell off.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@mcghee: Twerking is the pg version of daggering. This won't please Alexis.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@mcghee:

What's twerking?

@i_stay_puft:

WHAT'S DAGGERING?

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ltsmash

I was born the same month Ghostbusters came out and recently saw a piece of promotional for its 30th anniversary, which was weird.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HerbieBug

I felt pretty old yesterday when I was reminded that Mario 3 came out in 1988. I was only placated somewhat by the fact that it was not released in North America until 1990.

I felt old because Mario 3 and the NES was the second generation of video game consoles I had experience with. There are people approaching 20 years old right now whose first console gen was the 360/PS3/Wii. T___T

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h said:

When I looked up what Juicy J was after one of my coworkers told me that his little brother was obsessed with the dude, I lost that last tiny bit of faith in humanity I had left. Juicy J is like Riff Raff but he is actually serious. He is also a significantly worse musician than Riff Raff.

Thumbs down

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@ben_h said:

Thumbs down

Double thumbs down.

You guys realize that those songs posted in the OP aren't actually popular? Kids aren't going around saying "I LOVE BROKENCYDE!" (I mean, I guess some kid somewhere is probably saying that.) They're just dumb internet things.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed kids now are starting to rock monacles again. Yeah was like wtf.

RupertTheBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

@mcghee:

What's twerking?

Loading Video...

Dunno what Daggering is though

Dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h said:

I can't believe you just compared Juicy J to Riff Raff...

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MikeJFlick

I haven't listened to the radio in years, 4+ at the very least, and apparently I haven't been missing anything.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ben_H

@dot said:

@ben_h said:

I can't believe you just compared Juicy J to Riff Raff...

It was in a negative light. I appreciate Riff Raff. There is nothing good about Juicy J.

Edit: And keep in mind I am 100% out of touch with current pop culture so any analysis I have of it will be from afar, and likely completely wrong.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never really kept up with the latest fads and trends and pop culture stuff so I've always kind of felt out of the loop.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dot: Juicy Jay won an Oscar with the 3 6 Mafia. I will not have you degrade him here.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By renmckormack

People talking about Juicy J like he is Riff Raff in this thread makes me feel old. This only happened in 2005.

Loading Video...

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new Miley Cyrus video ('We Can't Stop') made me feel old and more annoyed than I should have been. It just depresses me that potentially dozens of people spent hundreds of hours writing, directing, producing and catering that video.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pop culture is always attracted to the stupidest things. I don't see that much difference between this and whatever the hell Vanilla Ice was doing in the 90's. This kind of stuff doesn't really make me feel old or out of touch, it just makes me appreciate music where people are playing actual instruments and writing their own songs.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The rise of smartphones kinda bugs me, it super rude how some people are more engaged in their phones than they are with the person across the dinner table, but I'm the ripe old age of 22 so I remember when 10-year-olds didn't have iPhones....

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Old? Nope, just facepalm & go on with life. Then again never been that tuned into pop culture to let it get to me, I just cherry pick what I like & if it's pop culture or not I could care less.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

nope.

pop culture has always been shitty and annoying. nothing really new or outstanding about the new wave of dumb.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a long, long, long time it's made me feel old... But hearing "Life During Wartime" playing on the grocery store music system (a standard ass mega mart mind you) in 2005... was really weird.

Loading Video...

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nah, 18 is too young to feel old. It'd be more likely for me to be associated with the current generation, which may be more depressing. I've always had an appreciation for the 80's, so I don't really follow what the trends of today are.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What makes me feel old is that I've lately been seeing people wax nostalgic about shows like That's So Raven or whatever.

What makes me feel older is just now realizing that show debuted 10 years ago, so it kinda makes sense that somebody in their very early 20s would be nostalgic for it.

And now I'm running all sorts of math in my head, and it's blowing my mind realizing that people only seven years younger than me likely started gaming with the PS2, and just as likely started with the current generation. Maaaybe PS/N64 or Dreamcast, if they started early like I did. (in contrast, I started in the NES era)

I'm going to be rather curmudgeonly when I actually do get old, I can tell.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By gokaired

rap the past 6 or so years makes me feel old. :(

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jasonr86: @rupertthebear:

Due to the nature of the average daggering video, I'll just refrain from posting one in this topic. In a nutshell, it's essentially a bunch of humping/grinding to the beat of a song. It's sex, but with clothes on. Find it at your nearest club! Caribbean folk are pretty prominent in the videos, so if you look it up, prepare yourself for a lot of, "Mash it up," "Bruk it down," and other accent-heavy Island lingo.

Happy trails!