#1 Posted by ADDTasty (109 posts) -

Okay, so I got this Toshiba Qosmio laptop last Christmas, but it's got a problem. It's like, at first, the wireless internet works totally fine. It can last anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, and then it just dies. I try to run diagnostics, repairs, etc, but they don't work because somehow, it's like the pc has stopped detecting the wireless card. It's not the wireless switch on the pc - that is always turned on. It just keeps telling me that no wireless network device has been installed/configured. Most of the time, i have to restart the computer 3 or 4 times to get it recognizing the wireless device again, but of course it craps out after another 10 minutes. I'm at my wit's end over this, and I'm not sure what to do other than to call their tech support, but I'd rather not for obvious reasons XD

Anyone got any advice?

#2 Edited by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

It may be a problem with your wireless router. Have you played around with the routers settings?

edit: You could also try reinstalling your drivers. you can probably get them off of Toshibas web site. Did this just start or has it been dropping connection since you got it?

#3 Edited by JakJ (1010 posts) -

I assume you're running Vista, right?

If so, when the card fails, hit the Windows key and the Pause key at the same time, and then your System Information should pop up with a link to the Device Manager on the upper left side.

When you get to the Device Manager look under Network Adapters and find the wireless card (should be two cards there, the wired and wireless).

THEN,  if the card is even there, click on it and look under Device Status. What does it say?

Edit: I'll probably forget to come back here, so just send me a message and Ill help the best I can!

#4 Posted by diz (936 posts) -

Sounds ilke a hardware fault, if the laptop stops detecting the on-board card then won't detect it between restarts. My desktop PCs built in wired network port failed on me recently.

#5 Posted by ADDTasty (109 posts) -

Yeah, checking the device manager reveals that the card is no longer being recognized by the PC. I can't imagine what would make the card pop in and out like that on the device manager, other than it being a hardware issue.  /sigh