Any video youtube duders wanna help me out?

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Rekt_Hed

So I recently started doing more editing of videos for youtube rather than just posting up raw footage. My only problem is compressing it before uploading. Usually when I have a finished version from prem pro its gigs. Ive tried a few different video converters but they are pretty unstable and often crash half way through encoding a video. Even if they dont crash the video quality is seriously fucked half the time.

Any advice as to what would be the best way to go about compressing video for youtube with minmal loss of quality would be very helpful

Thanks in advance!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I use adobe premiere and it works really well. It's expensive though.

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@rekt_hed: Have you tried HandBrake? It's free and really reliable in my experience. It does a great job of compressing a couple hundred gigs of FRAPS files down to just a handful of gigs. Really useful to do before editing so you don't have huge files lying around.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

If you're using Premiere it exports just fine. Just make the settings something appropriate for youtube. In fact, the export function in Premiere has many presets including youtube and vimeo, and they're not a bad place to start.

If you want an external program to convert videos though, just go with MPEG Streamclip, it's pretty much the gold standard.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By audiosnow
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Hamst3r

These are my Premiere pro export settings for most things:

MP4 h.264 codec, level 3.2, vbr 7 to 11 mbit video, aac 320kb audio.

If something is particularly busy visually, I'll up the bitrate range to something higher.

Looks great.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Rekt_Hed

awesome! Thanks for the replies you guys. Will try out your suggestions today!

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@vestigial_man said:

@rekt_hed: Have you tried HandBrake? It's free and really reliable in my experience. It does a great job of compressing a couple hundred gigs of FRAPS files down to just a handful of gigs. Really useful to do before editing so you don't have huge files lying around.

I have tried many. Handbrake with right settings gives best size to quality ratio - better than Premiere CS6 Pro. However it is best to keep files as original as possible during the editing (minimizing data loss) and use hard compression (Handbrake) as last step before youtube upload.