#1 Posted by rotorious (73 posts) -

duders,

I currently have sprint, and were it not so cheap I would have left them years ago. Alas, the time has finally come for to move and I am using that as an excuse to dump sprint in favor of Verizon. Well, I was at the store today and laid my eyes on the 8x by HTC and was instantly intrigued. It seemed like a pretty great phone and the OS is funky enough to appeal to the design snob in me. I guess my question would be: Have any of you switched from the iPhone to windows phone, and if so, How are you finding the experience?

#2 Posted by WEB_War4 (111 posts) -

I got the Lumia 920. I find it too big with poor battery life compared to the 4. I never play games on the phone so I'm not missing anything there. I like the calendar appointments on the lock screen and found several apps to put the temp on it. The main live tiles I look at are calendar, weather, CNN, and whatever updates happen to the Me tile. The twitter app doesn't show replies, but shows what a tweet is "in reply to". The twitter feed of the built in people app shows replies, but not "in reply to". No rotation lock sucks. Wireless charging is handy, I just toss it on the charger next to my bed and use my iphone or iPad. I won't get the 5, still not ok with them changing the connector.

#3 Edited by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

I have a Lumia 920, not a bad phone. The UI is simple and the live tiles are handy. compared to the IOS experience this feels more faster with a very quick multitasking function also no button which was why i moved away from IOS devices the button always got fucked up. But IOS is a safe and good choice for most people so......

If you like design and something nice to look at the (Part of My home screen)

#4 Posted by weegieanawrench (1941 posts) -

I don't have an iphone, but I'm no stranger to iOS. I too have the Lumia 920, which was a gigantic step up from my old LG Xenon. I like the way the OS is designed, it's fluid, fast, and intuitive. I have a few games on the phone: Pacman CE DX (decent version, but it's missing the goddamn menu music! If I had known that, I would not have bought it), a fantastic version of Snake '97, and some other small puzzle games. The app ecosystem is lacking, with Xbox games dominating the charts. The twitter app is trash, but Netflix, IE, and the productivity apps that come stock on the phone, are pretty good.

The phone side of things is handled well. Contacts are organized neatly. After making a call, the phone turns on the screen as you pull it away from your ear, which I thought was the bee's knees the first few times it happened. My few problems with the phone is the battery power which is god awful, I'm charging the phone once or twice a day. The back button can't be turned off and is constantly in the way while I'm in an app or watching netflix landscape.

Also, the marketplace has a legitimate emulator called Purple Cherry for 1 or 2 bucks. So using Skydrive (which works like a dream), you can play your favourite GBC or GB games.

#5 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

I love my 8X, but if you're the type of person that always wants the new app, currently (and probably always) WP 8 just isn't for you. However you really only need like 5 "main" apps on your phone like I do (twitter, kindle, ect), than I can't recommend it enough. There are things I miss about iOS, mostly all of that is based on how my iPhone, iPad and OSX talked to each other and shared information. As a skydrive and zune xbox music user, the deep integration the phone has with those is really great.

I have no issue keeping my old iPhone and probably future iPod Touch in my bag for whenever I want to use some app that's not on windows phone so that helps a lot with curving the app envy I could have. Tweetbot is easily the app I missed the most, but I've found a mixture on the me/people hub and the official twitter app (or sometimes i switch to rowi) that works for me.

A windows phone update should be soon and add some new stuff, but who really knows when, and what beyond caldav and carddav support.

... since others are, i guess here you go

#6 Edited by Zurv (452 posts) -

I have the 8x and really like it. The tiles are pretty cool. I don't really use many apps other than google, IE and outlook. But Netflix is there and so are a few games I play. I don't miss my iphone and (while not a good reason to get something) I like the idea of not having the same phone everyone else has.

get skulls of the shogun :) I was really hoping Verizon was going to get the good Samsung windows 8 phone.. but they only have the low end one :(

if you wait a bit the nokia 922 should be out for Verizon, but like the 920 it is a fatty :)

in the future expect to see a lot of cross over from windows 8 and windows phone 8 apps (and the new xbox).

pix of my phone:

doh.. big!

#7 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

I owned the HTC 8X, it had defective sound hardware though, decided to trade up to a Nexus 4. Windows phone 8 is a great platform though, wish it had more apps and I'd probably consider the 8x again.

#8 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@BlatantNinja23 said:

I love my 8X, but if you're the type of person that always wants the new app, currently (and probably always) WP 8 just isn't for you. However you really only need like 5 "main" apps on your phone like I do (twitter, kindle, ect), than I can't recommend it enough. There are things I miss about iOS, mostly all of that is based on how my iPhone, iPad and OSX talked to each other and shared information. As a skydrive and zune xbox music user, the deep integration the phone has with those is really great.

I have no issue keeping my old iPhone and probably future iPod Touch in my bag for whenever I want to use some app that's not on windows phone so that helps a lot with curving the app envy I could have. Tweetbot is easily the app I missed the most, but I've found a mixture on the me/people hub and the official twitter app (or sometimes i switch to rowi) that works for me.

A windows phone update should be soon and add some new stuff, but who really knows when, and what beyond caldav and carddav support.

I've been away from the 8x for a while, are the apps getting updated to the 8x widescreen yet? It was frustrating watching netflix with two black bars, and another black bar on the side because netflix didn't optimize the app resolution.

#9 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver: in most cases no... A lot of the WP 7 stuff has been left in the dust.

#10 Posted by rotorious (73 posts) -

I appreciate the input, and am glad to see so many positive experiences. On a supplemental level, how is the iTunes integration as far as music and other things go? Thanks again!

#11 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3197 posts) -

If I were to get a smartphone, I'm probably going to consider WP8.