Anybody care to help ?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

After reading the replies here : http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/for-how-long-do-u-think-my-pc-will-survive/248537/#19

I decided to buy some new parts: better RAM, better Graphics Card, and a HUGE External Drive

now though im an o.k. guy when it comes to computer parts and details and not a total n00b, im still not THAT good at picking the perfect parts, and some parts are like a maze to me espicially graphics cards...

here's the website catalogue that im gonna buy the parts from : http://www.ksp.co.il/main.php?now_snif=kspnazarta .
the prices are in the SHEKEL currency, any price you see divide by FOUR and you'll get the US DOLLARS price. (1 $ = 4 NIS)

my current gaming rig :
Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory:
2046MB RAM
Hard Drive:
500 GB Total
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Monitor:
SyncMaster 226BW(Analog)
Sound Card:
Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio)
Speakers/Headphones:
Logitech X-230 2.1
Keyboard:
USB Root Hub
Mouse:
Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 (USB Root Hub)
Mouse Surface:
The desk itself.
Operating System:
Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Motherboard:
Asus CROSSHAIR (AM2; nForce 590 SLI, SupremeFX HD Audio, DDRII 800, 2xPCI-E, 1394, 2xGBL)

1) the RAM.. some dudes said i should have 4 GB for my vista, and espicially if im interested in getting Windows 7 which i am..
now i dont wanna get 4 gigs and then after a year regret that i didnnt get 8 gigs.. what do you think?
can you recommend a good choice from that list ?

2)the graphics card... uhhh >_< ... what do u think should i get that will be able to play the latest games for the next 2-3 years or even more? i mean my 8600 is working the latest games very smoothly so im sure i dont need a highly better graphics card.. what can u suggest?

3)the External Drive, im thinking about getting the 800 shekel "FreeAgent Desk 1.5TB External HDD USB 2.0"   (800/4 = 200 USD)  [though im not sure if my comp's USB jacks are 2.0 roffelz]

[[[Each part should be less than 1000 shekels in price]]]

Any part suggestions or anything to say about the prices they have? dont forget i live in israel, everything electronic here is alot more expensive.
P.S. do you think my current CPU and Motherboard fit together ?

much thanks to anyone who spent time reading this and has something to say. any help is very much appreciated.. 

:::::::::::::: EDIT ::::::::::: forget about the graphics card, its too early to get one. just the external drive and RAM ::::::::::::::::
Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

2 gigs of ram should not cost more than 15 usd from where I'm from. The hdd seems fairly okay. I still think that your 8600 is okay. Not that old. But either way, you doomed either way with the inevitable switch to Core i series. Different motherboard slot and a jump to all DDR3 ram.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@kitsune_conundrum said:
" 2 gigs of ram should not cost more than 15 usd from where I'm from. The hdd seems fairly okay. I still think that your 8600 is okay. Not that old. But either way, you doomed either way with the inevitable switch to Core i series. Different motherboard slot and a jump to all DDR3 ram. "
so you're saying that my AMD definitely should be changed? which will require a motherboard change? i thought my CPU was superb... isnt AMD > INTEL when it comes to gaming ? and with 6 GHz total isnt that something?

oh and the RAM, i found 3 good choices can you tell me what you think of them please?  http://www.ksp.co.il/main.php?now_snif=kspnazarta => hit "Parts" in the top left corner and pick MEMORY ofcourse :
 first two are under the DDR III 1333Mhz section => the last two (the ones which are 3x2 GB) . i dont know why the last one is cheaper than the one above it. but the price is right and they're 3x2 gigs which is the highest num of gigs this website has.
the third one which is super expensive i dont think ima buy it is under DDR III 1866Mhz => the second one .. why's it so magestic ? lols

about the graphics card, i think ima hang on to my 8600 for 6 months/a year.. i really dont think its bad either, it never disappointed me til today.

and im absolutely getting that external drive. 

thanks for all your help dude.
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

DDR3 is pretty new stuff. Make sure your current motherboard and CPU is able to support it. I personally still use DDR2 'cos theyre dirt cheap.

it stands to reason a smaller form factor hdd is more expensive per gig compared to the 3.5. Besides stuff like material cost, 2.5 inchers are also more versatile as they use less power..etc

I have no experience with AMD processors. Been intel all the way.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By subject2change

No AMD is not better for gaming than Intel. And no it doesn't equal to 6.0GHZ it equals to 3.0 x2. Not all games utilize Multicore yet and Intels i7s dominate for performance now.

1. You are running 32BIT VISTA Currently; ALL 32 Bit OSes are limited to 4gigs of RAM. That includes your video card RAM in that 4 gigs; so you'd be able to only utilize 3gigs from sticks. Pointless in going to 4 unless you are sure you are going to upgrade to Windows7. You WON'T need 8 gigs. Your computer won't run DDR3, so no reason to look at it. Your Motherboard supports DDR2 800 (PC6400).
2. No one can predict the future but id say GTX260 Core216 will last you a good while if you are running at a resolution of 1440x900 or lower.
3. Yes your computers jacks are USB 2.0, 1.1 is very old technology and hasn't been utilized in years.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By subject2change
@kitsune_conundrum said:
" DDR3 is pretty new stuff. Make sure your current motherboard and CPU is able to support it. I personally still use DDR2 'cos theyre dirt cheap.it stands to reason a smaller form factor hdd is more expensive per gig compared to the 3.5. Besides stuff like material cost, 2.5 inchers are also more versatile as they use less power..etcI have no experience with AMD processors. Been intel all the way. "
No it's not that new really, its dropped in price significantly. Down to about a $100 USD for a standard 6gig kit isn't bad. I just paid $65 for another 4gig set of DDR2.
Leopard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Leopard
@Subject2Change said:
" No AMD is not better for gaming than Intel. And no it doesn't equal to 6.0GHZ it equals to 3.0 x2. Not all games utilize Multicore yet and Intels i7s dominate for performance now.1. You are running 32BIT VISTA Currently; ALL 32 Bit OSes are limited to 4gigs of RAM. That includes your video card RAM in that 4 gigs; so you'd be able to only utilize 3gigs from sticks. Pointless in going to 4 unless you are sure you are going to upgrade to Windows7. You WON'T need 8 gigs. Your computer won't run DDR3, so no reason to look at it. Your Motherboard supports DDR2 800 (PC6400).2. No one can predict the future but id say GTX260 Core216 will last you a good while if you are running at a resolution of 1440x900 or lower.3. Yes your computers jacks are USB 2.0, 1.1 is very old technology and hasn't been utilized in years. "
Question: Windows7 32-bit (not the 64) recognises how much RAM?
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Ineedaname

Do you need it to be external?
If you're not going to move it around don't bother.
What's your PSU?

And as others said up that ram, you can have 2 different speeds of ram as long as their in the same coloured slots.
So you could potentially get some new and keep the old depending on how much everything can support and your motherboard can take, if you can't afford to max it out that'd be an option.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Subject2Change said:
" No AMD is not better for gaming than Intel. And no it doesn't equal to 6.0GHZ it equals to 3.0 x2. Not all games utilize Multicore yet and Intels i7s dominate for performance now.1. You are running 32BIT VISTA Currently; ALL 32 Bit OSes are limited to 4gigs of RAM. That includes your video card RAM in that 4 gigs; so you'd be able to only utilize 3gigs from sticks. Pointless in going to 4 unless you are sure you are going to upgrade to Windows7. You WON'T need 8 gigs. Your computer won't run DDR3, so no reason to look at it. Your Motherboard supports DDR2 800 (PC6400).2. No one can predict the future but id say GTX260 Core216 will last you a good while if you are running at a resolution of 1440x900 or lower.3. Yes your computers jacks are USB 2.0, 1.1 is very old technology and hasn't been utilized in years. "
your post is full of bad news =/  thanks for your awesome post though ..

(a)is it a bad thing that my vista is 32BIT, like an obstacle forbidding me from accomplishing my dreams :P or just.. its ok ? cuz i always thought 32 bit is better than 64 ?  and yes im gonna get Windows 7 when it comes out. not now with that RC release (lol. get it? RC cola) because i dunno how to install it and im loving my vista and dont wanna fuck up my shit... when i do get windows 7 when its out, should i get 64 bit and get a whole upgraded rig with it or is it ok to go on with the 32 bit plan ?
(b) for now, is it fine and enough for a year to have the motherboard i have and buy the best ddr2 4gigs ram there is for it ? or do u think i must upgrade my motherboard to one that supports DDR3 so i can get a ddr3 ram so i can play new games?

2. i think ima stick to my current one for now.

*thanks for hating on my CPU (just kidding) but do u think its good enough or dated ?
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Ineedaname said:
" Do you need it to be external?
What's your PSU?

And as others said up that ram, you can have 2 different speeds of ram as long as their in the same coloured slots.
So you could potentially get some new and keep the old depending on how much everything can support and your motherboard can take, if you can't afford to max it out that'd be an option.
"
so i can keep my ddr2 2 gigs and buy another ddr2 4 gigs ? as long as they're both ddr2 and  and each one isnt more than 4 gigs it'll work ?
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By subject2change
@Leopard said:
"
@Subject2Change said:
Question: Windows7 32-bit (not the 64) recognises how much RAM? "
I'd assume 4gigs, I haven't played around with Windows7 RC at all but I believe all 32 bit OSes are limited to 4 gigs of RAM that it will utilize however Microsoft could of changed something. I am content with Vista and won't make the change for a while.

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"
@Subject2Change said:
your post is full of bad news =/  thanks for your awesome post though ..

(a)is it a bad thing that my vista is 32BIT, like an obstacle forbidding me from accomplishing my dreams :P or just.. its ok ? cuz i always thought 32 bit is better than 64 ?  and yes im gonna get Windows 7 when it comes out. not now with that RC release (lol. get it? RC cola) because i dunno how to install it and im loving my vista and dont wanna fuck up my shit... when i do get windows 7 when its out, should i get 64 bit and get a whole upgraded rig with it or is it ok to go on with the 32 bit plan ?
(b) for now, is it fine and enough for a year to have the motherboard i have and buy the best ddr2 4gigs ram there is for it ? or do u think i must upgrade my motherboard to one that supports DDR3 so i can get a ddr3 ram so i can play new games?

2. i think ima stick to my current one for now.

*thanks for hating on my CPU (just kidding) but do u think its good enough or dated ?
"

No its not a bad thing that you are running 32BIT, 32BIT is often better supported by drivers from older hardware and peripherals like printers and such. You are just limited on how much RAM you can use with a 32BIT OS and that really is the only major downside of 32bit, going up to a 4gig kit should be sufficient for now. When 7 comes out go 64bit, there is no physical difference or whatever and swapping from 32 and 64 is no different then reinstalling its just the way the software is written.

No you don't need to upgrade to a DDR3 compatible motherboard, If you did; you would ultimately end up building an entire new system and its not worth it. You don't have the highest expectations when playing games, so you shouldn't be looking for the biggest and best you can get. I know I was always content with medium to high graphics at a stable/smooth frame rate.

Stick with your 8600 and when you notice games aren't playing to your liking you can upgrade then, the GTX260 Core216 is a great card and it's what i'd personally upgrade to when I needed an upgrade if it was in the near future.

Your CPU is fine, I run a Dual 3.0 Intel chip.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By subject2change
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"
@Ineedaname said:
" Do you need it to be external?
What's your PSU?

"
so i can keep my ddr2 2 gigs and buy another ddr2 4 gigs ? as long as they're both ddr2 and  and each one isnt more than 4 gigs it'll work ?
"
You can run different speeds but I wouldn't, often enough they will require different voltages and your motherboard won't be able to set it individually per channels. Replace the original set of RAM with 2 new sticks of RAM, I don't recommend mixing and matching RAM.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Subject2Change:  thanks man, really :) .

so what im gonna do is get the comp fixed because of all the driver issue blue screen crashes, then buy a the best ddr2 4 gigs ram, and wait until my 8600 is yesterday.

thanks again i envy you for your computer knowledge ^^
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i used this to check the clock speeds of my ram.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Subject2Change: 
@kitsune_conundrum: 

One last question, it might be silly but really.. 

when i bought my computer in december 2007, my 2x1GB Kingston HyperX CL4 RAM costed 750 shekels (187$) today in the catalogue it costs 210 (52$) is that huge drop normal or did i get ripped off ?
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By subject2change

Nope that's pretty much normal for memory prices are always all over the place for it, they start HIGH (DDR3 was running about 300 bucks for a set 6 months ago).

Buy another set of that to maximize your system without paying a ton.

I paid about 140 or so for my DDR2 800 2x2GB in May 08, Paid 64 for another set a week ago. So ya thats the norm :/

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Subject2Change said:
" Nope that's pretty much normal for memory prices are always all over the place for it, they start HIGH (DDR3 was running about 300 bucks for a set 6 months ago). Buy another set of that to maximize your system without paying a ton.I paid about 140 or so for my DDR2 800 2x2GB in May 08, Paid 64 for another set a week ago. So ya thats the norm :/ "
ok so i can KEEP the 1x2 set of ram i have and buy another set of the same brand for 52$ instead of getting a brand new 2x2 set for 102$ dollars and it would be the same performance? great !

wait, does my motherboard have room for 4 sticks at once (you know, 1x2 times 2 = 4 sticks 1 gig each) ? even if i look at it i wouldnt know..
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By subject2change

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131593

Yes it does and yes I would go with another set of the RAM you already have rather than buying new RAM. Save yourself some money.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Subject2Change:  will do. thanks again you've been too helpful man.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Ineedaname:  Umm yeah, i need to backup my files incase something happens to the computer so it should be external.

i have 500 gigs in my comp i dont need anymore. the external is for backing up + storage of all the media i have which i dont use on a daily basis (like movies)