• 0 results
#1 Posted by HellRaiser91 (19 posts) -

This is my first "serious" topic here

so, does anybody here like programming?

(Java,C/C++,C#,......etc)

scripting languages are welcome too :D

#2 Posted by groin (833 posts) -

I juggle between C++, C#, and Python everyday at work.

#3 Posted by fancifulunicorn (58 posts) -

Made a game in C#:
 http://www.brentdporter.com/index/interactive

#4 Posted by GenghisJohn (256 posts) -

10 PRINT "I DONT KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM" 
20 GOTO 10 
RUN

#5 Posted by paudle (95 posts) -

For work I program in Java and whatever else is needed

#6 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

ive always thought that i am, and i wanted to major in programming in university next year, but i recently accepted the fact that im mathematically crippled.

#7 Edited by Bevinsky (177 posts) -

I'm adept in C# and Java, and am also capable of coding in a multitude of other languages, including JavaScript, HTML and PHP.

#8 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" ive always thought that i am, and i wanted to major in programming in university next year, but i recently accepted the fact that im mathematically crippled. "
This haha. I excelled at my highschool's computer programming class but did pretty horribly in math so I missed out on the chance to major :(
#9 Posted by groin (833 posts) -
@mazik765 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" ive always thought that i am, and i wanted to major in programming in university next year, but i recently accepted the fact that im mathematically crippled. "
This haha. I excelled at my highschool's computer programming class but did pretty horribly in math so I missed out on the chance to major :( "
25% of my courses were Math when I did my CS degree :(
#10 Posted by Thegerman (108 posts) -

Im half way through my book about game programming in C++... so yea.. i dont know how to program but i like it... then again... 
I am 16

#11 Posted by Driadon (2995 posts) -

I'm more of a scripting dude, I do lots of AS3 stuff in Flash, am competent in C#, PHP and Javascript but I've also delved into some lower level stuff with Java and C++. 
Also, I tried to learn Objective-C and nearly had a hernia.

#12 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

I'm dabbling in C++ and Python.

#13 Posted by Thoseposers (773 posts) -
@Driadon said:
" I'm more of a scripting dude, I do lots of AS3 stuff in Flash, am competent in C#, PHP and Javascript but I've also delved into some lower level stuff with Java and C++. Also, I tried to learn Objective-C and nearly had a hernia. "
i'm trying to get something together in Objective-C and i want to rip my hair out
#14 Posted by one_2nd (2359 posts) -

Taking a C# course in a month. 

#15 Edited by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

class HelloWorld {
public static void main(String args[]) {
System.out.println("Hello World!");
   }
}

Yeah, I am. I'm planning to major in CS and I've already (self) learnt good-enough Java and I'm doing some ActionScript right now.

#16 Posted by DevWil (842 posts) -

i've learned and mostly forgotten some C++, Python, and ActionScript in various classes.

#17 Posted by KnifeySpoony (1163 posts) -

coding suuuucccckkks :(

Yeah I'm an idiot babby can't do math babby babby

#18 Edited by Driadon (2995 posts) -
@thoseposers said:

" @Driadon said:

" I'm more of a scripting dude, I do lots of AS3 stuff in Flash, am competent in C#, PHP and Javascript but I've also delved into some lower level stuff with Java and C++. Also, I tried to learn Objective-C and nearly had a hernia. "
i'm trying to get something together in Objective-C and i want to rip my hair out "
Ugh, it's terrible. 
Hey, if you end up wanting to kill every human around you, as I did,  you should check out Appcellerator Titanium. It lets you use javascript, PHP, HTML and CSS and turn it into a multi-platform application, be it for Android, iPhone, Windows or Mac. It's pretty nice.
#19 Posted by MDomier (47 posts) -

C#, VB6 (ick), Oralce (ick as well), html, javascript, and others.  Woot Programming!!!

#20 Posted by Okari (167 posts) -

I do some PHP, and Javascript programming. I'm currently going back through C++ now that I have more experience. Thought about going for a CS degree, but it looks like such a waste of time and money.

#21 Posted by DevWil (842 posts) -
@Okari:  

maybe i'm the one who's wildly incorrect, but i'm pretty sure a C.S. degree is one of the few that's all but guaranteed to land you a $40k+/year job after graduation.
#22 Posted by Kralle (98 posts) -

Im studying CS, so yea :D 
Currently programming a game in XNA (C#)

#23 Posted by groin (833 posts) -
@Okari said:
" I do some PHP, and Javascript programming. I'm currently going back through C++ now that I have more experience. Thought about going for a CS degree, but it looks like such a waste of time and money. "
Waste of time and money, you say? I guess I am being paid with Bison dollars.
#24 Posted by DevWil (842 posts) -
@groin said:
"I guess I am being paid with Bison dollars. "
dude....are you?
#25 Posted by MadeinFinland (839 posts) -

I know Java and a bit of C++. All self-taught

#26 Posted by Psycosis (389 posts) -

If you asked me yesterday, then I would have said "yes, very interested." 

But after being stuck on one problem for the last 12 hours, I'm not interested in the slightest.

#27 Posted by Okari (167 posts) -
@DevWil:  I'm sure it does for most people. Looking at the courses though, it just doesn't seem like I'd be learning anything I couldn't pick up somewhere else. I'd rather spend that time working on freelance projects and my portfolio.
#28 Edited by groin (833 posts) -
@DevWil said:

" @groin said:

"I guess I am being paid with Bison dollars. "

dude....are you? "
 Every Bison dollar is worth five British pounds! I win either way. 
#29 Posted by oraknabo (1453 posts) -

I write PHP at work and C# and Python at home.

#30 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

I've been trying to learn Python, but its pretty hard for me right now. Luckily there's a programming class at school.

#31 Posted by codejunkie83 (12 posts) -

I currently use VB.Net with some SQL for fun in my profession. I like toying around with it, but I generally don't have enough time to code for fun.

#32 Posted by GIVEMEREPLAY (821 posts) -

What's the opposite of liking to program? I'm that. 

#33 Posted by Malchom (96 posts) -

I love programming!

I develop in PHP, AS3, Java, C++, C#, etc... Once you know C++ and a "Java like" language you can code in any language that supports Object Oriented Programming with a small learning curve.

Although I am not versed at all in machine/lowlevel languages

#34 Edited by Kung_Fu_Viking (697 posts) -

Yup, I'm way into games programming for a good long time now. Mostly self taught though now I'm studying it at university. It's basically computer science + games which is awesome.  

I worked on an entry for the 2010 Imagine Cup Games Design competition with two other programmers. Here's the Round 2 trailer we produced:

I wrote the graphics engine, the game state system, the game interaction system, the AI path-finding system as well as some AI behaviours and other various gameplay things. It was really great (If a little stressful!) to work on and I'm really proud of what we did considering we did it over the course of about 4 or 5 weeks. 

I know various languages including C#, C++, C, Java, BASIC, a little PHP and some JavaScript. Currently I'm working on a mod for the free Alien Swarm game that Valve released recently which has been interesting since I had very little knowledge of the Source engine going in so I've been gogin through the codebase figuring out how stuff works.
#35 Posted by Laticsfan (596 posts) -

Yup, doing a very programming heavy games development course. I'm pretty good with C++, C#, java, html, php and css and I've only just completed my first year!

#36 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5135 posts) -

Just finished my first year studying computer science.

#37 Posted by FreakAche (2948 posts) -

I'm majoring in computer science so yes.

#38 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -
@Kung_Fu_Viking: Lol, that's pretty cool dude. I'm getting a diner dash with medical emergencies vibe from it.

All I know is a little Python at the moment. I will slowly start self teaching myself on something else, once I can drop the 50-60 dollars they charge for each of those books.
#39 Edited by McPaper (254 posts) -

Yeah I would consider myself a programmer.  Did a year of Java and  Im gonna be doing some c# and .net but I would like to get into some Python.

Now im shifting focus to web development. AJAX, JS & PHP/MySQL etc.
Im working with the EVE-Online api at the moment and probably will look into Giantbombs when I'm done with that. Just for learning purposes though.

My biggest short coming however is god damn CSS. One day I will sit down and really master it. Not exactly logical but rather remembering the page flow and various properties.

edit: oh and some as3

#40 Posted by ZeekDaGeek (260 posts) -

I program in PHP and Javascript every day for work and love every moment of it. Nothing like creating a site for thousands to use out of nothing.

#41 Posted by HellRaiser91 (19 posts) -

wow,I never thought these forums had that number of programmers :D

I could even make a forum out of you guys ^_^

anyway,I know a lot of java and a little of python

I'm planning on becoming a JavaEE developer in the near future(2 years)

Currently studying for the SCJP Certification

#42 Posted by Xeiphyer (5593 posts) -

I am versed in Python, and learning C# currently.

#43 Posted by SSully (4117 posts) -
@groin said:
" @mazik765 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
This haha. I excelled at my highschool's computer programming class but did pretty horribly in math so I missed out on the chance to major :( "
25% of my courses were Math when I did my CS degree :( "
Leave for college in 3 days and im majoring in CS as of now. I hate math but i think programming is really interesting. 25-35% of my courses are math as well, so ill see how it goes!
#44 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

I took a couple of classes....I don't want to talk about it. T_T

#45 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I have only done Java so far in college and I find it interesting and I am good at it if just a  little lazy.

#46 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

I got an A in VB

My next class is C# :P I had to learn all the structured english first.

#47 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -

I took programming last year in Grade 11 where we mostly did Java. Me and a couple students went to a high school programming competition. We didn't win, but I got a C++ textbook and want to start practicing with it, but keep putting it off. That said, yeah, I'm interested in programming and I'll probably try to get into CS when I graduate.

#48 Posted by diz (906 posts) -

C: 

C:\DOS 

C:\DOS\RUN 
#49 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -

QBasic. 

#50 Posted by iFail (236 posts) -

I'd love to learn programming, but I can't keep all the stuff involved in my head at once, and I probably won't have time to focus on it with honor's math and honor's english this coming school year.