• 58 results
#1 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

If you have been keeping up with the Tested crew they have been making a whole mess of Lego structures lately, it looks like a load of fun yet daunting. Does anybody know where to start and any guide lines of what to expect?

Edit - I should have made it more clear what I wanted, I want to start off in making pre-made sets, I wanted some recommendations of easy sets that look cool

#2 Edited by Hector (3365 posts) -

Well would you like to free-build or buy sets? If sets just pick a brand you're into (SW, LOTR, Batman, etc..) or just plain LEGO theme sets. If you like to free build get one of those LEGO buckets and let you're imagination run wild!

#3 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I don't think there really are any tips to give, it's really easy. Either follow the instructions in a set or build crazy shit on your own.

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

the cool thing about lego is you cant go wrong. so no. no one can give you tips.

#5 Posted by Emperor_Jimmu (249 posts) -

Just a little point on following instructions, always check everyting is in order before turning the page. It is a pain realising you have built in a mistake ten steps back.

I love Lego instuctions as works of graphic art. They are designed for distribution all over the world, so include almost no writing.

#6 Posted by Beaker (94 posts) -

Build it and they will come!

#7 Posted by EVO (3919 posts) -

You never had LEGO as a kid?!

#8 Posted by DarthOrange (3867 posts) -

Guidelines for Legos? That's like asking for guidelines on how to use your imagination.

#9 Posted by Bollard (5663 posts) -

Well, you can expect small plastic blocks, with round sticky out bits on one end, and holes on the other which they go into. And lots of them.

#10 Posted by GunstarRed (5305 posts) -

@Emperor_Jimmu: I bet you're the type that puts all the pieces of the same colour into little piles.

Get one of those tubs or one of the medium sized sets. The biggest problem with Lego is that they're so damn expensive. I get sent the catalogue every few months and I want to buy all of it. Get one of those new batman/superman sets or one of those new, fake Jurassic park sets.

#11 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Kids these days and their Minecraft.  But seriously, you don't need a guide to have fun.

#12 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5276 posts) -

Just get something like this going and you're good to go for awhile.
Otherwise, just build shit. Preferably Pirate ships of course. The year I got the Pirate Ship set and a Mannheim Steamroller CD for Christmas was a goddamn magical time for me. Just looped it on "Greensleeves" and sailed away man.
#13 Posted by Sweep (8924 posts) -

Beginners guide? It's fucking lego.

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Just remember that the round parts fit into the holes on the bottom. It took me a while to figure that out.

#15 Posted by Sweep (8924 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Just remember that the round parts fit into the holes on the bottom. It took me a while to figure that out.

So that's what I've been doing wrong all these years.

#16 Posted by Inkerman (1452 posts) -

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

Just get something like this going and you're good to go for awhile.
Otherwise, just build shit. Preferably Pirate ships of course. The year I got the Pirate Ship set and a Mannheim Steamroller CD was a goddamn magical time for me. Just looped it on "Greensleeves" and sailed away man.

Goddamit, that just makes me want to dedicate an entire room of my house to Lego and build a massive replica of the Caribbean and carry out inter-port wars with the ships.

#17 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Just get whichever set appeals to you and build it. LEGO isn't really something you can screw up.

#18 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I should have made myself clearer, sorry. What I'm after is something cheap, a test thing if you will, to see if I enjoy it.

#19 Posted by imsh_pl (3298 posts) -

It's sticking two pieces of plastic together. It's not hard. The only thing that limits you is your imagination. 

And money. Cause lego bricks cost a bit.

#20 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1064 posts) -

K'Nex are better.

#21 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Hizang said:

I should have made myself clearer, sorry. What I'm after is something cheap, a test thing if you will, to see if I enjoy it.

How much you're willing to spend?
#22 Edited by Butler (389 posts) -

My child you have decided to embark on a grand adventure of creativity and self expression! I have a piece of advice for you, intrepid architect, when the colored building blocks of imagination and wonder get stuck together be weary of using your teeth to pry them apart. I've known many fledgling sculptors, not unlike yourself, who have had their careers stomped short by being suffocated by the beautiful blocks known as Legos.

They are as beautiful as they are dangerous. Be weary, be creative, and go onward!

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

K'Nex are better.

Heresy! You even have Lego in your name!

#23 Posted by EndlessObsidian (477 posts) -

The one and only beginners tip for LEGO.

now go and build :)

#24 Posted by 71Ranchero (2782 posts) -

@Hizang said:

I dont follow. Whats preventing you from going to the store and buying a set?

#25 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@MikeGosot £20, no more than £30.
#26 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3066 posts) -

Just go buy a small set, they're not more than $10. Build it and if you like it, buy more shit. It's simple, really.

#27 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

Having spent the first 12 years of my life pretty much doing nothing but playing with Legos it seems insane that someone hasn't experienced the joy of building with these magical little blocks! I'd start with whatever themed Lego product your most interested whether it be Star Wars, India Jones, whatever. It would probably be a good idea to try and find a box of miscellaneous pieces from a relative/neighbor/friend because they are fun as shit just to make what you want. Damn, I miss Legos, and my interest with them at an early age explains why I like user created games like Little Big Planet and Minecraft. I think I need to go to my parents place and try to fin my Legos now.

#28 Posted by mlarrabee (2993 posts) -

I would start with non-IP lines. Most of the product-specific (Halo, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc) Lego sets have bizarre pieces that are completely useless if you want to build anything else.

And if you have a thrift store or Goodwill in the area, GO THERE. You will find enormous bags of Legos of all shapes and sizes for next to nothing. Growing up, most of my friends had at least a couple of 18 gallon totes full of Legos for which they paid all of $20-40.

#29 Posted by medacris (666 posts) -

Just have fun and built whatever you'd like. @EndlessObsidian said:

Those things are definitely lifesavers with any stuck bricks. Also, make sure not to step on any loose pieces. And just have fun and experiment with them! There's no wrong way with a LEGO set.

If you're into customizing models, I know there's a huge interest in that as well. I've seen custom Portal and Farscape sets, as well as a (hopefully becoming official) Minecraft one.

#30 Posted by ichthy (538 posts) -

@mlarrabee said:

I would start with non-IP lines. Most of the product-specific (Halo, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc) Lego sets have bizarre pieces that are completely useless if you want to build anything else.

And if you have a thrift store or Goodwill in the area, GO THERE. You will find enormous bags of Legos of all shapes and sizes for next to nothing. Growing up, most of my friends had at least a couple of 18 gallon totes full of Legos for which they paid all of $20-40.

Halo is Mega Bloks, but some of those sets are pretty nice. Cheaper too.

#31 Edited by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

Sadly Lego is far from cheap, as it's more of a niche hobby these days then a kids toy; at least when it comes to the pre-made sets. IIRC the boxes have a little guide on the bottom corner telling you what kind of skill level you will need to be to put it together, so just go to the local toy store/online shopping website and find one that's: in your budget, is a entry level difficulty, and is to your taste aesthetically.

Pro-tip: Always wear protective foot wear when playing with Lego. You do not want to feel the pain of stepping on one.

#32 Posted by npeterson08 (502 posts) -

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

K'Nex are better.

Take it back!

#33 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@medacris said:

Just have fun and built whatever you'd like. @EndlessObsidian said:

Those things are definitely lifesavers with any stuck bricks. Also, make sure not to step on any loose pieces. And just have fun and experiment with them! There's no wrong way with a LEGO set.

If you're into customizing models, I know there's a huge interest in that as well. I've seen custom Portal and Farscape sets, as well as a (hopefully becoming official) Minecraft one.

Dude... that tool has saved my nails so damn much, it isn't even funny.

#34 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2895 posts) -

My advice is to buy a few thousand pieces on eBay or at a yard sale. You can picks up 3,000 assorted pieces for a few bucks these days. That will give you a sold base for a small investment. Then just buy a sets you like.

#35 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Hizang said:
@MikeGosot £20, no more than £30.
There are Lego buckets who cost more or less 20$ dollars. Since you live in London i suppose it's even cheaper. Also, i remember that when i was a kid, i used some stickers in my Legos. Dumb stuff like shields, and things like that. You could use that too, if you want.
#36 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11302 posts) -

Any Lego set I ever built came with easy to use instructions. Just follow them. They tell you exactly how to build it. Mad simple.

#37 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

can't believe this needed a thread.

but thought id share this to those that missed it.

top gear presenter James May built a house out of lego. very cool

#38 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I can't tell if that was an intentional innuendo or not.

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Arker101 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, since when were penises round? And since when did women have vaginae on their feet?

#40 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Arker101 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, since when were penises round? And since when did women have vaginae on their feet?

Man, I don't know. If you read that sentence out loud and then say "if you know what I'm saying" that sounds like an innuendo. It's a bit of a stretch, sure, but isn't that the nature of the thing?

#41 Posted by Pepsiman (2485 posts) -

@Arker101 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Arker101 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Man, I don't know. If you read that sentence out loud and then say "if you know what I'm saying" that sounds like an innuendo. It's a bit of a stretch, sure, but isn't that the nature of the thing?

Moon people have sex differently than us earthlings. I wouldn't press him on this matter if I were you.

#42 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Pepsiman said:

@Arker101 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Arker101 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Moon people have sex differently than us earthlings. I wouldn't press him on this matter if I were you.

She's right, you know.

#43 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1790 posts) -

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

K'Nex are better.

You're a lunatic.

#44 Posted by kindgineer (2770 posts) -

The pre-made sets are extremely easy, it's why the age marker is 6+. Just find the theme you really like - I was always partial to Indiana Jones back in the day - and go with it. You will be surprised how easy it was when the entire structure is done.

#45 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Pepsiman said:

@Arker101 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Arker101 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

She's right, you know.

Alright, fine then, it's not an innuendo.

#46 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (736 posts) -

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

K'Nex are better.

GET OUT.

#47 Posted by Nasos100 (727 posts) -

GAY PEOPLE CANT LEGO

#48 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

find a set that you like and build it.

#49 Posted by 49th (2785 posts) -

Buy the Lego Batmobile. It's cheap, easy to make and it's cool to display even if you decide you don't like Lego after all.

#50 Posted by Mikemcn (6996 posts) -

I've played with legos my entire life and no one has ever asked me for tips. You just build stuff dude.

Also, never put a flat 2x1 on top of a 2x1, they will never become unstuck.