#1 Posted by AssInAss (2655 posts) -

Look, I get it. You want some validation to your opinion among the people of the world wide web.

But seriously, you are not the only person in the world or even on any forum to have that opinion. Every single internet messageboard has "Anyone else..." in their thread titles. The problem is you just want one side of the argument. It's just confirmation bias.

Just state your opinion, none of this insecurity projecting. Also, makes for shorter thread titles.

/Proud thread title fascist

#2 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

The only ones that annoy me are the "Am I the only one...?" threads

NO YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE, YOU'RE ONE OF BILLIONS OF PEOPLE, YOU MOTHERFUCKER.

#3 Posted by L44 (561 posts) -
#4 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Nope, you're the only one.

#5 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

I'm a bit fed up of the masses of threads that dont have anything to do with gaming, like this one.

#6 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

This thread GRINDS MY GEARS

#7 Posted by Petiew (1350 posts) -

No, it's just an expression used when the person feels their opinion isn't shared by many.

I'm more annoyed at the numerous predictable "No you're not the only one, I am now so angry I will leave only this message and not contribute to the topic" posts that we get in all of those threads.

#8 Posted by Azteris (810 posts) -

Is the irony of this thread title just too fucking much for anyone else?

#9 Edited by DystopiaX (5314 posts) -

@Azteris said:

It would have been had I not assumed it was intentional.

#10 Posted by Gamer_152 (14080 posts) -

I've seen this complaint before and I don't believe that any of the people writing titles like that actually believe that they're the only person in the world who believes what they're talking about, it's just a way of asking after people who have similar opinions when they feel that theirs is in the minority. I also think it's less about having their opinion validated and often more about discussing opinions with others, which is basically the main point of most of the threads on this forum anyway. Even if these threads do come from a place of insecurity, what's wrong with that? If people are being civil and starting proper discussions, I don't really see the problem.

#11 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -

Can I flag this thread? Can I, can I?

#12 Posted by Nightriff (5096 posts) -

The Irony of this is freaking me out....

#13 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I cannot stand the phrase, "I don't get the hate."

#14 Posted by laserbolts (5323 posts) -

Doesn't bother me at all. It is not as if they literally think they are the only one. Seems like a pretty petty thing to get annoyed by.

#15 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Am I the only one that doesn't like this thread!?!

#16 Posted by SeanFoster (871 posts) -

Shots fired.

#17 Edited by BillyMethers (149 posts) -

Wow, my last thread most likely inspired this one? Awesome.

Guess what? People have opinions and a right to share them. I notice some people are trolling and calling it bitching, but it isn't. they have a right to speak like everybody else.

So to all the trolls and people who cant seem to get a grasp on the world, deal with it.... and fuck off.

good day.

#18 Posted by ShockD (2403 posts) -
@BillyMethers: Haha, I was just about to link your thread here.
#19 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4825 posts) -

@Petiew said:

No, it's just an expression used when the person feels their opinion isn't shared by many.

I'm more annoyed at the numerous predictable "No you're not the only one, I am now so angry I will leave only this message and not contribute to the topic" posts that we get in all of those threads.

Came here to post the same thing, so kudos.

Truthfully the posturing internet tough guys who post that crap are what bothers me.

#20 Posted by Hunter5024 (5702 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

I've seen this complaint before and I don't believe that any of the people writing titles like that actually believe that they're the only person in the world who believes what they're talking about, it's just a way of asking after people who have similar opinions when they feel that theirs is in the minority. I also think it's less about having their opinion validated and often more about discussing opinions with others, which is basically the main point of most of the threads on this forum anyway. Even if these threads do come from a place of insecurity, what's wrong with that? If people are being civil and starting proper discussions, I don't really see the problem.

Here I was thinking to myself "Am I the only one who doesn't get pissed off about dumb topic titling?" then along you came to save the day. Seriously guys, we've all noticed that people use that phrase a lot, but who cares? Complaining about it is way more annoying.

#21 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

@Azteris said:

It would have been had I not assumed it was intentional.

I can't decide if this is intentional at all or not.

#22 Posted by groin (847 posts) -
#23 Posted by FTomato (235 posts) -
#24 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

Yeah it's an unoriginal way to name your topic that basically guarantees I won't care about whatever thoughtless drivel follows it. People say it's an expression, but expressions can become overused and cliché and this is no exception. besides I've always seen it as egocentric since it attempts to frame all the discussion around the OP's frame of reference instead of encouraging others to share. Plus it's basically a yes/no question so it poses zero discussion value.

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (14874 posts) -

THANKS OBAMA.

#26 Posted by Christoffer (1827 posts) -

As far as I'm concerned it's just a rethorical question. It's not insecurity, just an emphasis that might be an opinion from an outlier, thus making the title more interesting... if it wasn't for the fact that it's used a bit too much.

#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Personally, I'm more annoyed by "that's just your opinion". At least "anyone else..." invites discussion.

#28 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@YOU_DIED said:

This thread GRINDS MY GEARS

OF WAR

--

Video games!