• 132 results
#1 Edited by goldenmnk (185 posts) -

Addblock Plus , i know i know but hear me out. 

I ran through a lot of site specific video content  and what came up was an UNSKIPABLE video. My guess leans towards additional funding required for the Tokyo game show is why we see are starting to see more ads. 

I dunno maybe its just me but pre video ads where always the worst type of adds. During their pax event , they mentioned EYEBLASTERS ... to me these are just as annoying as a flashing pop up except that they take up 17 seconds. It reminds me of the hulu system ... oh gawd i hope giant bombs long endurance run episodes avoid adopting the hulu system. 

Edit: Okay im sold , Video ads != to holocaust

#2 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

Yeah, unskippable pre-video ads are irritating. I was fairly indifferent about ODST before the ads, now I really don't want to play it. More well done page skins, less videos.

#3 Posted by Fallen189 (4931 posts) -

No, because I'm not American :3

#4 Posted by Renahzor (983 posts) -

meh, 17 seconds of ODST trailer before a video.  They seem to load nice and quickly, whatever.  If it makes the guys some money so they can keep on doin what they do, its fine.  This is some of the least intrusive ad space on a website i've seen.

#5 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

I think complaining about a little twenty second video clip is a bit trivial considering how well Giantbomb has done keeping ads out of our face compared to other major gaming websites.

#6 Posted by Evilsbane (4516 posts) -

Go on IGN or gamespot for 20mins you'll be back and you will love the ads, LOVE THEM!!!

Nah but seriously they are not that bad not even worth a discussion I do website development as a job 
and believe me this shit ain't free and they are handling them very professionally.

#7 Posted by Chaser324 (6245 posts) -
@kmdrkul said:
" I think complaining about a little twenty second video clip is a bit trivial considering how well Giantbomb has done keeping ads out of our face compared to other major gaming websites. "
I agree. Is it really a big deal to sit through a 15-30 second ad prior to a 15-30 minute QL or a 60+ minute episode of the endurance run?

The amount of people complaining about ads on GB is insane to me! Have you people seen the rest of the internet?
Moderator Online
#8 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

Next time an unskippable ad plays, mute it and open a new tab, go to the washroom, get yourself a drink, make a sandwich, you have unlimited options when it comes to receiving or not receiving the advertising. Even though Giant Bomb is full of a bunch of renegades, you know they must stay paid. ( Get money, Luchadeer!)

#9 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

I see no Ads anywhere around the website .. and my videos load just fine without any unskippable stuff , does this has to do anything about my location ?

#10 Posted by Xeiphyer (5593 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" No, because I'm not American :3 "
Thats what I was thinking too.. I have yet to see an ad.. Funny how we can't watch streaming videos from the states, but we also can't watch their ads.. so all is well I suppose.
#11 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

I don't see any adds probable  because i am not American but you can't blame them really they need adds to keep this side going

#12 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I get no video ads because I'm not in the US \o/

#13 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I like the videos. I have no desire to by ODST, but there's a guy ready to go to war and he looks scared. The visor comes down, his pod opens and the rush of war is upon him. There's other videos too. Live action, boot camp style.

#14 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -

Honestly, it's a 17 second video.  It doesn't hurt anyone and only benefits the site.

#15 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" I get no video ads because I'm not in the US \o/ "
I live in the U.S. And have only gotten one ad.  But I don't mind the ads were I to get more. I usually have five more tabs open, so I just check those.
#16 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1913 posts) -

I'm fine with the length, at least it's not like some other sites. 

I only get truly frustrated when I have to sit through an ad and the video doesn't work.

#17 Posted by Delta_Ass (3246 posts) -

I'm not sure that they're adds. I think they might be ads though.

#18 Posted by Hamst3r (4431 posts) -

I think ads on a game site are fine, as long as they stay game related. If it's just a trailer for another game, then whatever.
#19 Posted by ahriman22 (2747 posts) -

Acquire currency, fornicate with women, inhale plant matter. That's just the way things are. Sucks for you though... I haven't got any ads at all and that ODST TV spot is enough for me.

#20 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Complaining about that is like the people complaining about the new Firmware Update for the PS3 (3.00) 
"Nooo! I wan't my 3 second "Playstation 3" jingle back every time I load up a program!" 

Pathetic (this isn't the Pathetic part.. the others are)

#21 Posted by Pie (7033 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
#22 Posted by Bucketdeth (8002 posts) -

The boys have to make money some way, doesn't bother me.

#23 Posted by Monkeygb21 (192 posts) -

Actually I like them.   For a while there I wondered how they stayed in business.   Now I see a few ads and I feel better knowing that Giant Bomb is actually making money and will be around for a while.

#24 Posted by natetodamax (19164 posts) -

At first I hated them, but when you go to other sites like Gamestop and see that every page is littered with crappy ads, it's not that big of a deal

#25 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

well, my friend here is what i do, i usually lower my volume and let it play. after 18 or how ever long the ad is i pause it to let the video load. i have a slow internet so i'm use to waiting a while for this to low. something i hate though is sometimes the ad loads slow so i have to wait for the ad to fully load.

#26 Posted by artofwar420 (6247 posts) -

I think it'd be nice if they didn't play on EVERY video. Something random.

And 
well done page skins
That looks a little scary, Gamespot say hi.

#27 Posted by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -

I find complaints over the ads more annoying.  Please, let them make some money so they can keep providing us good content.  I watched a 30 minute QL today and I'm going to complain about 30 seconds of ad space? 

#28 Posted by cspiffo (860 posts) -

The ads don't bother me.  I realize these guys need to make money.  I just wish there was a little more variety to the ads. 

#29 Posted by MrSnow (1213 posts) -
@Xeiphyer said:
" @Fallen189 said:
Thats what I was thinking too.. I have yet to see an ad.. Funny how we can't watch streaming videos from the states, but we also can't watch their ads.. so all is well I suppose. "
Im not american but i get them too. It is uck annoying
#30 Posted by MrMuise (227 posts) -

MORE ADS! I want a 4 hour epic preview ad before the actual 6 hour long ad. Also eyeblasters and banner adds that blink and make sounds plus links that download a Gertsmann desktop widget that has him dancing above my start bar.

#31 Posted by DarkGamerOO7 (574 posts) -

No, the amount of ads on this site are fine, and remember Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, Brad, and Drew need to eat. This website probably costs money to run, and the Giantbomb crew isn't going to be able to review games if they don't have an money to purchase them with. The ads are fine and compared to how many ads GameSpot has, it is completely fine.

#32 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

It doesn't matter to me.  15 seconds for 30 minutes of Giant Bomb video awesomeness is perfectly fine to me! 

Now...having the ad in front of the Scribblenauts commercial...THAT was a bit ridiculous.  lol

#33 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

They should be careful about that, imagine a potential new giant bomber watching his first video, and all he gets is an ad.  but hey, it's either that or they go broke.

#34 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

I have yet to encounter one of these on Giant Bomb and I've been pretty up on the videos. Started to see more on pages but I'm fine with that.

#35 Edited by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -
@goldenmnk said:

" Addblock Plus , i know i know but hear me out.

Like the first line of your post says use adblock. I DESPISE seeing ad's of any kind on TV, in my games or online. Yes i know they pay the bills but forcing me to watch shit that tries to sell me stuff i have no interest in EVER buying let alone look at is the visual equivalent to a kick in the nuts. Just on
 This is tame compared to some sites out there.
a whim i decided to check all the sites i normaly visit every few hours on iexplorer instead of firefox and i was physically sick, seriously i was very close to vomiting it was so disgusting. EVERY god dam mouse click caused some kind of ad to pop up, start some video i had to listen to, flashing banners and so many of those eyeblasters i wanted to puke. Good god man i have seen NASCAR racers with less ad's on them then most of these dam sites. I cant say what kind of alternative there is to this kind of shit on sites but gods dam there needs to be something, because there is only so much one person can take before they just say fuck it all and stop going to sites that do stuff like that.
#36 Posted by zoozilla (977 posts) -

I think the green bar for the ODST contest is a little odd.

I mean, it just kind of sits there over the site.

#37 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -

The ads don't bother me.  A lot of time, I don't realize that they're even there.  The video ads are also very short.

#38 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Yeah, I really want ODST to come out just so these stupid ads will stop playing. Also, thanks to those ads I won't be buying ODST.

I don't have a problem with the ads in general, just having the same one play over and over and over and over, that's where I start the hate.
 It's like watching a TV show and everytime they skip to commercial break it's the same ad playing over and over and over until the show comes back on...

More variety in the ads, less ODST screaming.

#39 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -

They don't bother me, if I really feel the need I just switch tabs and look at something else for the 15-20 seconds it lasts.

#40 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -
@kmdrkul said:
" I think complaining about a little twenty second video clip is a bit trivial considering how well Giantbomb has done keeping ads out of our face compared to other major gaming websites. "
This.  They've been good to us.  So I don't mind giving a little back.  I want to see them prosper.  Just hope they aren't slowly injecting ad's into the site.  

Slowly easing up, letting the mann into your basement.  To shard your purples.
#41 Posted by ajamafalous (11793 posts) -
@MrMuise said:
" MORE ADS! I want a 4 hour epic preview ad before the actual 6 hour long ad. Also eyeblasters and banner adds that blink and make sounds plus links that download a Gertsmann desktop widget that has him dancing above my start bar. "
I would click that link.
#42 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19304 posts) -

No because I don't live in America and therefore I don't see any.

#43 Posted by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -

Ads reassure me that GB will be here longer than two lifetimes.

#44 Posted by Laticsfan (596 posts) -

To be fair I haven't even seen said adds, probably because I'm in europe but still, I recently went onto Gamespot and they had so many NFS: Shift adds it was literaly slowing down my PC. So to be honest I don't care as long as it doesn't get to this level.

#45 Posted by AuthenticM (3695 posts) -

It's true that the ads here are rather non-obstrusive. I take away what I've said before.

#46 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

The hate for the ODST video ads makes me laugh.

#47 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Non-americans not being able to see ads is one of the best choices the guys have ever made.

#48 Posted by T0mF5 (928 posts) -

I just want to be able to pause the ads.
#49 Posted by JJWeatherman (14552 posts) -

I think it's funny how before people basically complained about there not being ads. Everyone wondered where they were and a lot of people said they wouldn't mind having ads to keep the site going. Now that there is ads, all the complaints against them come out. There's no pleasing people I guess. 

I love the ads.

#50 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -
@artofwar420 said:
" I think it'd be nice if they didn't play on EVERY video. Something random.

And 
well done page skins That looks a little scary, Gamespot say hi. "
Gamespot's page skins have never looked that pretty, nor have they ever been as appropriately placed.