Anyone else hating on CG in films?

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pazy

ive always been a bit annoyed with CG in films but generally its used sparingly or the films good enough to give it a pass. But lately ive been seeing more and more films where all I can see is the "joins" in the CG. I settle down to watch the 2005 remake of King King tonight and thats all I could see, everytime there was CG on screens I could tell what was the CG and what was not, im not sure exactly what it was but maybe it was too "clean". Notably two scenes for me. The first is when the boat is leaving New York in the beginning, its entierly CG and it feels it, I may as well have been looking at a lego boat and totally took me out of the film. The second is when Kong first gets his hands on Ann, one of the shots is focused on her face/Kongs hand and you can see the background is CG and seperate from the rest as well as the hand up to the point where I couldent help but think of "Your in the Movies".

It happens in other films as well, though off hand I dont think its as pronounced. Im not sure what could have been used in place of CG (the original King Kong used a model for him I think which dosent look amazing these days) but I know I wish it wasent this. They need to redo the concept of CG to focus on making it blend with the "actual" film better rather than focusing on looking as technically good as possible.

Anyone else feel like this? Maybe you dont see all the joins, maybe im just in a jaded minority (which would be suprising since im 19 lol).

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's the same as special effects have always been, the good CGI is great, the bad CGI is terrible. The main reason why it's easy to hate on CGI is that it's typically easier, cheaper and safer than traditional effects so often it's just used to save money rather than having the real effort put into it. Also, it's a relatively new medium meaning that even the best artists are still getting to grips with it. Give it time and hopefully it'll be as fondly looked upon as model work.