Anyone ever use Ancestry.com?

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BigLemon

I've been thinking about getting a paid account on ancestry.com, and I was wondering if anyone here has ever used the service. I've been really interested in my genealogy and I thought that ancestry.com might be a good place to start. So, anyone had any experience with it? What's it like?

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Kyreo

I heard it worked for a friend of mine.  I have a super obscure name and I doubt it will work for me but if you can afford it you should go for it.

digitalslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By digitalslice

There is a LDS-run site: 
https://www.familysearch.org/  
For various controversial reasons, LDS members love to keep track of this. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

My name wouldn't even work with Ancestry.com. Maybe if I found a French genealogy site, but I'm too lazy. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I don't know, I probably use an internet service for something like this.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By iam3green

i never heard of that site. my mom looked around for genealogy stuff, she was successful. i'll have to ask her what website she used. i know she didn't use a paid site to find her stuff.  make stuff simple first ask parents, relatives of whom they are related to. 

my Italian last name is a rare one. one interesting thing though is that it's second most used last name in Sicily.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mrfizzy

No, im my opinion its a scam as most of the databases they use you can access for free yourself if you look around. 

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By BigLemon
@mrfizzy said:
" No, im my opinion its a scam as most of the databases they use you can access for free yourself if you look around.  "
well see that was my first reaction, but I would have to do lots of scouring of the interwebs to dig up information, and I was under the assumption that ancestry.com does all the scouring for you. I know I have some interesting relatives from way, way back, and I'd like to find out more information. 

@iam3green said:
" i never heard of that site. my mom looked around for genealogy stuff, she was successful. i'll have to ask her what website she used. i know she didn't use a paid site to find her stuff.  make stuff simple first ask parents, relatives of whom they are related to.   my Italian last name is a rare one. one interesting thing though is that it's second most used last name in Sicily. "
yeah that'd be great if you found out the site name, thanks.
YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By YoThatLimp

My wife has found a ton, and she just signed up a week or so ago and found her family into the 1850's. Along with ancenstry , she uses new paper searching sites to find pictures, articles, ect about her relatives. It is pretty cool 

It is pretty cool, but she actually has found some interesting stuff: 
- her great great great great grandfather moved from england and abandoned a wife and six kids and started a new life in NZ which she is a part of 
- She is distantly related to Ned Kelly. (google him hah) 
- A few of her relatives were killed by a Maori man with an axe after bring him in their  house and feeding him

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Xeiphyer

Something like ancestry.com is entirely dependant on luck. If your family is well documented, then itl be very helpful, but otherwise its a waste.

I think if you don't mind doing a bit of searching that you can find better results from various free sources. Its not like ancestry.com has any 'exclusive' history, they just compiled a few sources together to have a larger database. All that data is still out there for free too.