Anyone following this Felicia Day twitter drama?

shadowdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By shadowdrone

So, now the guy has hundreds more followers then before all of this blew up? I don't get people on twitter sometimes. Of course I guess that pretty much goes for what he did as well. I mean, it doesn't seem like it's that hard to use or understand, but holy shit, some insane things happen because of it.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By clumsyninja1

As much as the guy was a douche, he was probably right in some sense. Wasn't Felicia Day on the Spike TV Awards with Geoff??? Makes me wonder, if she look like an actual gamer: overweight, laid back and not too pretty; would had she gotten all the gigs that bioware gave her...

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By TruthTellah

@artgarcrunkle: @JustKamToo: For what it's worth, it was apparently his idea to part ways with Destructoid. He said he understood how it could reflect poorly on Destructoid and suggested that they distance themselves from him.

Also, for some reason, he called Wil Wheaton a "puddle of miscarriage soup". So, right when I think he "gets" why this happened and the repercussions of attacking someone unprovoked and calling them a "glorified booth babe", he gives more reason to think less of him. Some people...

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clumsyninja1 said:

As much as the guy was a douche, he was probably right in some sense. Wasn't Felicia Day on the Spike TV Awards with Geoff??? Makes me wonder, if she look like an actual gamer: overweight, laid back and not too pretty; would had she gotten all the gigs that bioware gave her...

Yeah, because actual gamers look like that.

Jesus fucking Christ...

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By leebmx

@Slaker117 said:

@Vonocourt said:

Am I missing something? Did he really get fired over three tweets that, while still extremely dickish especially since he sent them right to her, are pretty weak. Or was there more?

I mean, it's not like he asked her if her "carpet matched her goddamn annoying ass voice."

I'm with you. I see how those tweets are generally dickish and dumb, but they don't seem offensive enough to be noteworthy.

No he got fired because the company he worked for didn't want to be associated with his views. Same way that if you worked for any company and sent insulting messages to someone else in that industry over a public forum.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#157  Edited By Hunter5024

C'mon guys destructoids not that bad. Jim Sterling can be kind of a dick, but separate the people from the product.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#158  Edited By galiant

@CaptStickybeard said:

Should that guy have been publicly fired on twitter, inciting an internet lynch mob full of white knights? Absolutely not.

I thought the "mob" came before the termination. But whatever, perhaps they should not have fired him publicly to save him some face, but if the company in question feels that he is making them look bad (in public, no less) they have every right to fire him. When your job is covering the game industry, and you act unprofessionally towards members of that industry in public - what else could you expect? What company would want to be associated with such a person?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By zeforgotten
@Zacagawea said:

@clumsyninja1 said:

Yeah, because actual gamers look like that.

Jesus fucking Christ...

Did we just read the dumbest fucking thing ever written?
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By time allen

block him and move on. it really isn't that hard.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By leebmx

@Sooty said:

You know the most fucked up part about this story?

If he attacked a guy, let's say Michael Pachter, nobody would be as outraged and he probably wouldn't have been fired.

You know it's true.

Thats complete bullshit - if he went on Twitter at @'ed Patcher calling him useless and insulting him in the same way the exact same thing would have happened - same for Nolan North. The problem wasn't that he doesn't like the Day or what she does but that he chose to insult her directly over a public forum.

I am amazed that people in professional positions don't realise that they can't use Twitter etc as if they were having a beery conversation in the pub. If you work on the internet, you have to consider it part of your workplace and the same way you wouldn't be able to go up to someone in your office and insult them you can't do it online - indeed it's worse online because its so public.

I love the way people manage to turn everything round and blame it on women.....its a bit pathetic.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By leebmx

@Grimace said:

This situation is ridiculous.

Sure the guy's comments lacked tact - but where did he say anything remotely sexist or misogynistic? There seems to be this almost thinktank-style of culture within the games press - like as if nobody can be criticised by another press member.

I like Jim Sterling, I think he's one of the smarter people in gaming press - but why does he get away with the aforementioned posting of someones personal details? Or more recently, publicly demean an entire website in Valid Gamers? I found it funny, but it was still kind of harsh.

Er.....calling her a glorified booth babe is pretty sexist I think.....in anycase its not that what he said was sexist, just rude and unprofessional.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By ShaneDev

I think his first tweet was an interesting question and might have been an alright discussion if it wasn't directed right at her and he went off the rails with the rest of them. I mean interesting discussion because of the same thing that happened with Wil Wheaton where he claimed he was an ambassador for games and represented the industry or some other shit and got really defensive about it. On the other hand these people are so out of the way that I don't think they have any effect on the industry and should just do there own thing. This guy was a dick though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@leebmx No, he's pretty much right. He's fired because he said something harsh about a woman that people like. If he said that Pachter or Whitta or out own Ryan Davis don't contribute anything besides personality, people would argue with him, but he would still have a job. If we fired people for being rude and unprofessional, Brad would be the only staff member left over here.
galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#165  Edited By galiant

@Brodehouse said:

@leebmx No, he's pretty much right. He's fired because he said something harsh about a woman that people like. If he said that Pachter or Whitta or out own Ryan Davis don't contribute anything besides personality, people would argue with him, but he would still have a job. If we fired people for being rude and unprofessional, Brad would be the only staff member left over here.

I don't believe that's true. I think it'd be pretty much the same situation if he directed this question towards a popular male person within the industry rather than a female.

EDIT: To clarify, not just the initial question, but also the unprofessional attitude and the other remarks that followed.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By WMWA
@maskedarcstrike

@translucentfish: Hey I'm not trying to hate on women in the gaming industry, I love Tina Wood and I liked Laura Foy. Those two women knew their shit back in the day, they did their homework and could actually have intelligent conservations about gaming in G4's early days.

I get your argument that if men go down this route it's perfectly fine.

But hey, the sports media industry has had this same crap going on for decades. It's no different than the video gaming industry. It all boils down to whether you get their schtick or not whether it's Chobot or Skip Bayless. It's all about if your fake or not.

Holy shit, that Cuban video is amazing
algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By algertman

He got fired because he said something about a WOMAN. That's all there is to this. If we didn't have this faux feminism movement in gaming right now he would have apologized and went with his life.

Destructiod keeps Jim Sterling employed. Remember that when talking about this.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#168  Edited By Binman88

@Brodehouse said:

Unless you can back up that claim, you're just creating a hypothetical, fictional situation and outcome to "prove" your point. If someone like Ryan or Whitta made a personal attack on someone like that, regardless of gender, I am confident they would get in trouble for it. They simply wouldn't do it. Why would they? Why does someone, for no apparent reason, question what another person "adds" to an industry? What does he add? What does anyone add? Why is that considered a good question, or a necessary one?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@artgarcrunkle said:

A dude lost his livelihood because he called out a Token Attractive White Female Gamer for being basically what she is and people are OK with that. Real life is wacky.

No, dude lost his job because he was a small fish going after a larger fish protected by a school of even larger fish. Dude was an idiot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Galiant Do you seriously believe he would have been fired if he said that Michael Pachter didn't contribute anything useful and was just an amusing personality? There would be a twitter argument, and nothing would come of it. There is no way he'd be fired for getting into an argument with a man. How many Kotaku writers have had fights with Jaffe? Over there it seems like its grounds for promotion. Ryan and Patrick read a tabloid article by Crescente and then said a bunch of shit about Jason Rubin, no one white knighted for him, and Ryan and Patrick never had anyone call for their jobs.

I don't agree with the guy, and his booth babes line genders the argument, but I won't call black white because it suits my image.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#171  Edited By Sooty

@leebmx said:

@Sooty said:

You know the most fucked up part about this story?

If he attacked a guy, let's say Michael Pachter, nobody would be as outraged and he probably wouldn't have been fired.

You know it's true.

Thats complete bullshit - if he went on Twitter at @'ed Patcher calling him useless and insulting him in the same way the exact same thing would have happened - same for Nolan North. The problem wasn't that he doesn't like the Day or what she does but that he chose to insult her directly over a public forum.

I am amazed that people in professional positions don't realise that they can't use Twitter etc as if they were having a beery conversation in the pub. If you work on the internet, you have to consider it part of your workplace and the same way you wouldn't be able to go up to someone in your office and insult them you can't do it online - indeed it's worse online because its so public.

I love the way people manage to turn everything round and blame it on women.....its a bit pathetic.

It's not complete bullshit, white knights come out in defense of women, Pachter and North are both guys, right? ...right?

Whether or not the end result would be the same is irrelevant, I'm just saying the outrage would have been on a smaller scale in comparison, I don't think insulting Pachter would have attracted anywhere near as much attention.

I'm not blaming women, I'm blaming the legions of horny gamer nerds that feel they have to rush out in the defense of women. Now that is pathetic.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

At least I've heard of Felicia Day, that's more than I can say for the guy dissing her.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Grimace

@leebmx: Read my later post - I had only read his first tweet when I posted that. I think the booth babe comment was in poor taste.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By algertman
winsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By winsol

@JeanLuc said:

@Hyperglide said:

More internet Drama. Last week SpoonyOne. This week Felicia Day. lol.. Don't ever change internet.

Spoony again? What did he do this time?

Basically he went on a HUGE rant at his fans on twitter and had a complete meltdown that led to him being fired from TGWTG and burning nearly every bridge he could do. Thats just the abridged version of what happend, there was a lot more to it than that which is around the web if your interested. He's since been diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

@algertman said:

So Adam Baldwin, from Serenity/Firefly, tweeted about Jim Sterling. Here's what he posted.

http://www.auntiepixelante.com/?p=912

Never got Sterling's appeal to begin with. He's a poor writer and apparently a worse human being.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Juicebox said:

So, Felicia Day is another talentless semi-hot girl with a legion of pathetic nerds protecting her?

This trend needs to stop.

Felicia Day is yet another talentless whore.

She shouldn't be where she is. I agree with Perez. You guys need to stop this nonsense.

She produced her own show and got it sold. WTF are you talking about? Oh right, you're a little kid.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#178  Edited By Kidavenger

I liked The Guild and Dr. Horrible; but otherwise I find F Day incredibly annoying. Veronica Belmont is the perfect example of how not to be an annoying gamer girl, she is smart, knows her games and doesn't draw unnecessary attention to herself and the fact that she is a girl; F Day fails at all of these things but that isn't a reason to go after her with flimsy insults on twitter. As annoying as F Day is; she does do a lot of good for videogames in general bringing more people in to gaming and making video game related content/entertainment as much as she isn't my cup of tea, it's hard to argue she isn't doing work that needs to be done.

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
LibrorumProhibitorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me it seemed like this guy just said that to be edgy. No one really knew who he was and Felicia Day is a pretty popular woman that I imagine he thought the comment would just get looked over like any other hate comment about a celebrity, really. I'd assume nothing would've happened to him if he didn't advertise that he worked for Destructoid.

That said, just spouting hate for someone is pretty immature and spouting it under the label of a professional company is a good way to lose your job. (Apparently he didn't get paid anyway, but you just lost a pretty good relationship to get into journalism with.)

Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Bubbly

@Brodehouse said:

@Galiant Do you seriously believe he would have been fired if he said that Michael Pachter didn't contribute anything useful and was just an amusing personality? There would be a twitter argument, and nothing would come of it. There is no way he'd be fired for getting into an argument with a man. How many Kotaku writers have had fights with Jaffe? Over there it seems like its grounds for promotion. Ryan and Patrick read a tabloid article by Crescente and then said a bunch of shit about Jason Rubin, no one white knighted for him, and Ryan and Patrick never had anyone call for their jobs. I don't agree with the guy, and his booth babes line genders the argument, but I won't call black white because it suits my image.

While there is some merit to what you are saying, I think we also have to factor in how popular Felicia is. She is a little less than 100k shy of 2 million followers, which is a lot of damn people, especially when you are a site like Destructoid. That isn't even counting the followers of Veronica Belmont and Wil Wheaton. All of the people you mentioned (Pachter, Rubin, Jaffe) aren't even close to 100k followers, so the backlash that would result if this had happened to them wouldn't be significant enough for Destructoid to really care. Also, Ryan was an intern who nobody knew. Compare this to Sterling (the only reason me and many others actually know about Destructoid), who has never been condemned despite saying some vile crap as far as I'm concerned. All of those factors (including the female argument) contributed to the firing.

Compare this to the Sterling and Anna Anthrophy debacle. Anna isn't very famous so there wasn't as big of a backlash. As far as Destructoid PR was concerned, it made sense for them to fire this guy here and not fire Sterling before. It isn't necessarily right (like the heads of the company that runs Destructoid actually care about morals), but that's just how things work.

Just as a disclaimer, I would like to add that I don't agree with or support the comments that came out of that dude's Twitter feed, especially the booth babes comment. It was stupid and uncalled for.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#183  Edited By triviaman09

@Demoskinos said:

@shadowdrone: I know exactly what Jaffe is meaning. Basically he is trying to say she isn't a frail little girl that needs protecting and she can fight her own fights without men coming out of the woodwork white knighting for her on twitter. Which he has kind of a point ... to an extent.

Reacting negatively to the misogynist bullshit that is pervasive in the gaming community is too often conflated with the concept of 'white knighting.'

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#184  Edited By Shady

@Metzo_Paino said:

I might have missed this in the 6 page prior, but I'd like to point out that nothing happened when Jim Sterling called Anna Anthropy's girlfriend a slut nothing happened.

I can't stand Destructoid or Kotaku because they just feel like gossip sites for the game industry.

No Caption Provided

Gawker runs their sites like that. It's their whole business model. It's why Kotaku is trash and people who write for it are deluded if they think they are contributing anything worthwhile to the industry.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By largo6661

Yay yet another compelling reason not to visit destructiod

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Why is he complaining about Felicia Day not doing anything for the industry when that's not her fucking job? She's a voice actor and an actress, what does he expect her to do? Revolutionize the racing genre?

What a moron.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Gawker employs enough female professional trolls at Jezebel to balance out Jim Sterling.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By FateOfNever

Oh boy. Glad to see this devolved into another "sexism" topic. Way to go guys. I'll just be seeing my own way out now.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Meowshi

@FateOfNever said:

Oh boy. Glad to see this devolved into another "sexism" topic. Way to go guys. I'll just be seeing my own way out now.

Typical cowardly misogynist.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Juicebox

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Juicebox said:

So, Felicia Day is another talentless semi-hot girl with a legion of pathetic nerds protecting her?

She shouldn't be where she is. I agree with Perez. You guys need to stop this nonsense.

She produced her own show and got it sold. WTF are you talking about? Oh right, you're a little kid.

oh, WOW. She produced a show for autistic manchildren.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Meowshi

@Juicebox said:

This post goes perfect with the Dragonball Z avatar. A perfect combination.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Juicebox

@dcgc said:

Someone got fired because of comments made about a person? If stuff like that happened in other businesses, everyone would eventually get fired. This is pathetic. Felicia Day may be talentless or an important person in this industry, but getting fired because of talking shit about her (and nothing that serious)? That is just sad.

Edit: I also have to agree that if it weren't for the target to be a woman or the fact that the feminist movement came to the videogame industry, this firing would never happen and some people and the target of this rant, would just ignore it.

This is true. Jim Sterlin has said much worse, hell his job is pretty much insulting everyone in the industry. Has he been fired or suspended? No.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Juicebox said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Juicebox said:

No, she didn't make the show just for you.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Juicebox

@OtakuGamer said:

I had no idea who Felicia Day was until now, but whoever she is, that was uncalled for.

She has no talent.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Juicebox

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Juicebox said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Juicebox said:

No, she didn't make the show just for you.

TALENTLESS.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#196  Edited By AlexW00d

Female is offended, internet goes into overdrive. More on this at 10.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#197  Edited By musubi
@Juicebox

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Juicebox said:

Hey, how about not all girls around geek culture are there to be eye candy? Has Felicia ever posed in maximum or otherwise used her womanly assets for financial gain? No. She is a geek like the rest of us. And genuinely loves geek culture and contributing her own small part to it.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Meowshi

@AlexW00d said:

I'm pretty sure she hasn't responded to this at all.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Juicebox

@Meowshi said:

@AlexW00d said:

I'm pretty sure she hasn't responded to this at all.

She called in the cavalry.

This is why no one takes Feminism seriously.

She's a woman. That's why she gets away with having no talent. FACT.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Juicebox: I agree, your attempts at trolling are pretty talentless. Your avatar and your attitude scream manchild.